As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pre-PAX Bar Crawl] (Closed) Pokecrawl Episode 2: Mewtwo Strikes Back!

• RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Unfortunately one of my members had to drop from Green A, please place me back to RidleyDragon +3

RidleyDragon on
    PW0oFIs.png
  • Demonia105Demonia105 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm hoping that it'd count if I showed up dressed as a Super Nerd trainer class (though no wig. Don't want to lose it,) and bring my Pikachu notebook along as well. :3

Personally, if I were to be tricky in the Mewtwo Mirror Challenge, I'd break out singing Brother, My Brother. Though to be fair, I'd have to be pretty drunk to get to that point. Not so drunk for a couple of the main themes.

Demonia105 on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rdr wrote: »
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Does this count as a costume if I don't wear the headband or bring Turtwig?
    5489412683_44d00759c2.jpg

I would destroy you at beer pong, sucka.

HA! You wish! My partner and I dominated the table that night.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    Goose! wrote: »
    Are there really 400 people doing this? What the shit?

Just be glad it's been split into 8 groups, otherwise it would be impossible to coordinate.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Just be glad it's been split into 8 groups, otherwise it would be impossible to coordinate.

Even at 50 people per group (yay, I can do maths!) the wranglers will have their work cut out for them.
    My advice: powerhorns and bull whips. :twisted:

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
    edited March 2011
    I can already see it now. They are trying to get everyone together to move to the new bar. No one budges. I order a drink. :)

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They could also go with shock rods and loudspeakers.
    I mean, there are options here.

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Even at 50 people per group (yay, I can do maths!) the wranglers will have their work cut out for them.

Many of us have organized/helped with pub crawls before. Plus we are counting on everyone to follow Wheaton's Law. :)

PeasantDave on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Plus we are counting on everyone to follow Wheaton's Law. :)

Drink Guinness?

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Plus we are counting on everyone to follow Wheaton's Law. :)

Drink Guinness?

Exactly!

PeasantDave on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

My roommatebro and I typically never lose when we start playing at parties. Haven't played in a few months though but I still got the shot.

Rdr on
  • ProeliatorProeliator Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Depending on whose wrangling me...

Proeliator on
    edited March 2011

My roommatebro and I typically never lose when we start playing at parties. Haven't played in a few months though but I still got the shot.

It also depends who my partner is. Even champs have slumps and need a partner to pick them up from time to time. Heh.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • MateomanMateoman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ah! Something came up at the last minute, and now I won't be getting to Boston until Friday. You can take me off of !Bulbasaur B. Enjoy everybody!

Mateoman on
  • ElfertonElferton Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Open up a spot in Team Yellow B; Elferton's +2 went to +1 due to a broken car.

Elferton on
  • Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My husband volunteered to assist with wrangling. I suggested he use a fishing pole with a cookie on a string to tempt the wranglees. If that doesn't work I told him he can use my riding crop.

Menolly07 on
    Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
    edited March 2011
    Is there a safe pedestrian route from the Waterfront to the bars? The subway is not a viable option, you have to make 3 transfers vs. a 20 minute walk

RidleyDragon on
    PW0oFIs.png
  • Obsolete ModelObsolete Model Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I won't lie. A man with a riding crop is going to do the opposite of wrangle me. Cookies, what kind of cookies are we talkin'?

Obsolete Model on
  • TheSeffTheSeff South Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is there a safe pedestrian route from the Waterfront to the bars? The subway is not a viable option, you have to make 3 transfers vs. a 20 minute walk

You can pretty much walk from the convention center to the Faneuil Hall area on Congress Street the whole way and its pretty safe, but it's going to be a hike. You'll most certainly want to take a cab back to your hotel afterwards.

TheSeff on
    I am literally only registered on this forum for the PAX East PokeCrawl; Red Gold four years running. Feel free to ask questions regarding Boston Area bars, restaurants, attractions, etc around PAX East.
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    oooh whips and shock rods winky.gif

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited March 2011
    So, from what I have read around here, Boston isn't THAT safe? Why would they have the convention there? Or is it just the train at like 3am?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I won't lie. A man with a riding crop is going to do the opposite of wrangle me. Cookies, what kind of cookies are we talkin'?

How about vegetarian bacos chocolate chip? I really made those for Cookie Brigade..

Just printed the Team Green shirt design and have plans to iron it onto a shirt. Gonna bedazzle the shizznit outta it. Just wait.

Menolly07 on
    Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • GalFridayGalFriday Community and Social Media Manager NovatoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Menolly07 wrote: »
    But.... But... BUT!! I made a bulbusaur themed SKIRT!! That's gotta count for something right.... Right?!?! It's so... Cute... And.. Now I have a sad. All the people in costumes will just make me sadder. This means I'll need lots and lots and lots of encouraging hugs. *sniffle* Or I may start to cry long before the fifth challenge.

Hugs? There are more effetive ways to enhance your mood; remember candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.

Besides, Atlus already said that it was up to individual Professors to decide what constituted proper attire. Maybe your Professor has an affinity for bedazzled shirts? I am sure you will look adorable. :D

GalFriday on
    @Ga1Friday is the twitter account I use to talk about everyday things. Sometimes work things. Lots of work things.
  • lucazzolucazzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, from what I have read around here, Boston isn't THAT safe? Why would they have the convention there? Or is it just the train at like 3am?

Boston's actually remarkably safe, unless you go around looking for trouble. Most violence is gang-related.

That said, I wouldn't recommend taking the T to Roxbury in the very early morning or late at night.

The BCEC area is safe, and all locations where you'll likely be hanging out (ie: downtown, Back Bay, Faneuil Hall) are VERY safe. Unless you want to pick a fight with drunk college kids.

lucazzo on
    PAX East '11 Team Squirtle Group B - Professor.
    PAX East '12 Team Totodile Gold - Professor
    edited March 2011
    redfield85 wrote:

I know the area around is safe in the "You won't get robbed" sense of safe, it's a touristy area, after all. I meant to ask if there is a route you can walk from the Waterfront to the bars without having to walk on a highway and get hit by cars.

RidleyDragon on
    PW0oFIs.png
  • NeatoNeato Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Boston is not THAT safe. Someone i used to work with had been to Boston twice to walk the freedom trail (doesn't get much more touristy than that) and was mugged both times in broad daylight.

Don't get me wrong... I'm sure he was just pretty damn unlucky, but i do know at least 2 others that have been mugged in Boston also.

Unless there is a large group walking back to the hotel together, i would strongly suggest you take a cab.

Neato on
  • TuftTuft Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What? Walking around alone at 2am in a busy city probably isn't safe?

Who'd have thought...

;)

Tuft on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    On the other hand, After PAX last year I spent the better part of a month staying there, and went all over Boston at random at all times of day and night with no issue

ZeroHourHero on
  • RDubbRDubb Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    redfield85 wrote:

I know the area around is safe in the "You won't get robbed" sense of safe, it's a touristy area, after all. I meant to ask if there is a route you can walk from the Waterfront to the bars without having to walk on a highway and get hit by cars.

I'm assuming you came to this conclusion from looking at Google Maps. The walk from the Seaport to Government Center is actually quite scenic if you've got the time. I would recommend taking the Seaport Blvd bridge across the waterway and just head up the right side of Rt. 3/1. It's got nice wide sidewalks and big pretty buildings to look at. Just pay attention to where you are and it will bring you right up to the east side of Faneuil Hall, where all the bars are.

RDubb on
    edited March 2011
    RDubb wrote: »
    redfield85 wrote:

I'm assuming you came to this conclusion from looking at Google Maps. The walk from the Seaport to Government Center is actually quite scenic if you've got the time. I would recommend taking the Seaport Blvd bridge across the waterway and just head up the right side of Rt. 3/1. It's got nice wide sidewalks and big pretty buildings to look at. Just pay attention to where you are and it will bring you right up to the east side of Faneuil Hall, where all the bars are.

Cool, thanks!

RidleyDragon on
    PW0oFIs.png
  • StarlightslkStarlightslk Cambridge, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What 3am trains? o_O XD All the trains in Boston stop between midnight and 1am :cry: It's ok tho that late Just practice safe walking ie: be aware of your surroundings, head up and alert at all times with your head up...*trails off*...wait what am I talking about this is post Pokecrawl :P....In that case I'd definitely recommend sticking with a group and/or taking a cab. ;-) I went to school in downtown Boston and never had a problem on the street, got my purse stolen at work :x but not while walking arround, but I have heard the horror stories of others that had been mugged (tho those mainly took place in the Boston Common/Gardens at night)

On a completely different subject with regards to Pokecrawl Wildcard Challenge. My team has the "Dress up as a water or ice type Pokemon or Trainer" Dose it have to be a water/ice specific trainer like Misty or Candice; or can it just be someone who has a water/ice type :? I'm asking because I have a Cynthia cosplay that I was planning on wearing and she dose have a water-type (Milotic) but is not water specific. Or should I try to pull together something more directly water/ice related in order to qualify for the Wildcard Challenge? :rotate:

Starlightslk on
    PAX East PokéCrawl: 2010 Team!Bulbasaur! ~ 2011 Team!Squirtle! ~ 2012 Team!Totodile! ~ 2013 Team!Feraligatr!
    PAX East PokéCrawl Cosplay '10-'13: Cynthia(Pokémon)

PAX East '10 Cosplays: Fri: Cynthia(Pokémon) Sat: Morrigan(Darkstalkers)
    PAX East '11 Cosplays: Fri: Tifa Lockhart(Final Fantasy VII: AC)
    PAX East '12 Cosplays: Fri: Morrigan(Darkstalkers) Sat & Sun: Nord (Skyrim)
    PAX East '13 Cosplays: Fri: Morrigan(Darkstalkers)alt, Fri&Sun: Cammy(Street Fighter), Sat: Morrigan(Darkstalkers)
    PAX East '14 Cosplays: Fri: L.Raptor(Darkstalkers)mb, Sat: Liliana of the Veil(MtG), Sun: Morrigan(Darkstalkers)alt

edited March 2011
    What 3am trains? o_O XD All the trains in Boston stop between midnight and 1am :cry: It's ok tho that late Just practice safe walking ie: be aware of your surroundings, head up and alert at all times with your head up...*trails off*...wait what am I talking about this is post Pokecrawl :P....In that case I'd definitely recommend sticking with a group and/or taking a cab. ;-) I went to school in downtown Boston and never had a problem on the street, got my purse stolen at work :x but not while walking arround, but I have heard the horror stories of others that had been mugged (tho those mainly took place in the Boston Common/Gardens at night)

I just hope that either my roomate comes with me so I don't walk home alone, that someone at the crawl is staying at the same hotel as me, or that I get a cab.

And I don't know the train times. What do I look like, a conductor? :P

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Well, I can say that Red will run like a well-oiled machine, though I can't speak to the other teams.

Yes. Boston is a very pedestrian-friendly city. Also, if you take the silver line to south station it's a fairly quick walk (5-10min).

Neato wrote: »
    Boston is not THAT safe. Someone i used to work with had been to Boston twice to walk the freedom trail (doesn't get much more touristy than that) and was mugged both times in broad daylight.

Don't get me wrong... I'm sure he was just pretty damn unlucky, but i do know at least 2 others that have been mugged in Boston also.

Unless there is a large group walking back to the hotel together, i would strongly suggest you take a cab.

I'm a bit surprised that someone was mugged on the freedom trail during the day, let alone twice ... It goes through one of the most populated and safe areas of boston.

I've lived here for 10 years (5 of which were in a not-so-great area) and I've never once had an issue.

That said - it wouldn't be a bad idea to travel in a group. make friends, that's part of the goal of the pokecrawl :D

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
    edited March 2011
    What 3am trains? o_O XD All the trains in Boston stop between midnight and 1am :cry: It's ok tho that late Just practice safe walking ie: be aware of your surroundings, head up and alert at all times with your head up...*trails off*...wait what am I talking about this is post Pokecrawl :P....In that case I'd definitely recommend sticking with a group and/or taking a cab. ;-) I went to school in downtown Boston and never had a problem on the street, got my purse stolen at work :x but not while walking around, but I have heard the horror stories of others that had been mugged (tho those mainly took place in the Boston Common/Gardens at night)

I just hope that either my roomate comes with me so I don't walk home alone, that someone at the crawl is staying at the same hotel as me, or that I get a cab.

And I don't know the train times. What do I look like, a conductor? :P

hehe, I tease, I tease...it's more a jab at the suckyness of the trains here ;-) (can't expect people who don't live here to know the frustration they cause) :x

That's why our little group made arrangements so that none of us get stranded since we're all local and don't have a hotel room. We're all crashing at a friend's place (if really drunk at the conclusion, since they live a ton closer the pokecrawl area) or home (if we can somehow make it safely) :rotate:

I just stumbled on this site that has links to cab company #s as well as other useful tidbits about drinking in Boston. Since closing time for all bars in Boston is generally between 1:00a.m.-2:00 a.m. which is after the T stops running (as you now know) :wink: I would recommend that you program some into your phone as a just-in-case. Also as a heads-up some Boston cabs will take credit cards while others will not.

Starlightslk on
    PAX East PokéCrawl: 2010 Team!Bulbasaur! ~ 2011 Team!Squirtle! ~ 2012 Team!Totodile! ~ 2013 Team!Feraligatr!

PAX East '13 Cosplays: Fri: Morrigan(Darkstalkers)alt, Fri&Sun: Cammy(Street Fighter), Sat: Morrigan(Darkstalkers)
    PAX East '14 Cosplays: Fri: L.Raptor(Darkstalkers)mb, Sat: Liliana of the Veil(MtG), Sun: Morrigan(Darkstalkers)alt

• arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

On a completely different subject with regards to Pokecrawl Wildcard Challenge. My team has the "Dress up as a water or ice type Pokemon or Trainer" Dose it have to be a water/ice specific trainer like Misty or Candice; or can it just be someone who has a water/ice type :? I'm asking because I have a Cynthia cosplay that I was planning on wearing and she dose have a water-type (Milotic) but is not water specific. Or should I try to pull together something more directly water/ice related in order to qualify for the Wildcard Challenge? :rotate:

Go to school at Emerson? :) (Or maybe suffolk/nesl?)

The Commons/Garden are awesome places to walk around at night, but every once in a while someone gets mugged :\ If you're in a group though, I imagine people would be ok.

As for your costume - If you're in the pokemon spirit I don't imagine your professor will give you a hard time. If they do, send them over to me and I'll buy him/her shots until they become more agreeable.

Also - All cabs in Boston are supposed to take credit cards. It's the law, but a number of cab drivers try to claim their credit card reader is broken (which is true maybe 10% of the time)

There are a ton of Bank of America ATMs in the area though, so getting cash at the end of the night shouldnt be a problem.

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
    edited March 2011
    Starlightslk, I just looked at your sig. How can you give up on (team) bulbasaur?!

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited March 2011
    arsonisfun wrote: »

Go to school at Emerson? :) (Or maybe suffolk/nesl?)

The Commons/Garden are awesome places to walk around at night, but every once in a while someone gets mugged :\ If you're in a group though, I imagine people would be ok.

As for your costume - If you're in the pokemon spirit I don't imagine your professor will give you a hard time. If they do, send them over to me and I'll buy him/her shots until they become more agreeable.

Also - All cabs in Boston are supposed to take credit cards. It's the law, but a number of cab drivers try to claim their credit card reader is broken (which is true maybe 10% of the time)

There are a ton of Bank of America ATMs in the area though, so getting cash at the end of the night shouldnt be a problem.

hehe, I went to Emerson :)

Yay! Good to know, thanks! :wink:...I remember last year the wildcard costume requirements weren't so specific so I got nervous when I saw they changed :?

heh, totally didn't know that about the Boston cabs, with my luck I usually end up in the one that's "broken" so I just assumed that some had them and some didn't.
    Starlightslk, I just looked at your sig. How can you give up on (team) bulbasaur?!

It's actually cause our group picked a different one this year, we're letting each person take a turn picking since we didn't wanna split-up. :P

Starlightslk on

• SingolloSingollo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Ok well as per normal all costume is up to the professors to make a ruling. So with that said arsonisfun is pretty much right if your in the spirit the professor will accept it. O wait your professor is me I could be bribed (I mean um persuaded) to allow it. My friends tend to just make me turn bright red by embarrassing me. So on second thought i surrender and yes if you wish to dress as cynthia i will accept this (assuming I can truly tell you are in costume)

Singollo on
    edited March 2011
    Singollo wrote: »

Ok well as per normal all costume is up to the professors to make a ruling. So with that said arsonisfun is pretty much right if your in the spirit the professor will accept it. O wait your professor is me I could be bribed (I mean um persuaded) to allow it. My friends tend to just make me turn bright red by embarrassing me. So on second thought i surrender and yes if you wish to dress as cynthia i will accept this (assuming I can truly tell you are in costume)
    Yay! *excited* Thanks for responding! :D How's this: http://www.cosplay.com/costume/310994/ ;-)

I am working on making it a little warmer since it's gonna be chilly & gonna wear more comfy shoes cause tall heels + drinking = NG esp if cobblestones might be involved :P (all my other new ideas were scrapped due to how cold it will probably be) :?

Starlightslk on

• jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I know this is closed, but put me down for +5 or 6 if possible. If not, well then... :P

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]