As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Hunters], Misdirecting everyone but tanks since '07

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Glyph wrote: »
    Anyone else noticing we don't do too well in 2s as we start approaching 1800?

Pillar hugging just makes it impossible for us to focus down healers as effectively as other classes.
    Hunters have almost always been bad in arenas, outside of a brief window of gimmick drain teams back in TBC.

forty on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Apparently a DK soloed Yogg-Soron.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/863789-Solo-Yogg-Saron/

I stopped playing in mid-TBC and never played during WotLK, so I don't really know the mechanics of the fight. Nor, for that matter, do I really know how DKs work. If it's possible for a DK to solo the fight, is it possible for a Hunter to do so?

Rius on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really, really, REALLY doubt it. I'm still a little confused as to how the DK did it, but they are a tanking class at least.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I haven't watched the video yet, but numerous comments in that thread indicate that he dropped to 1 hp at some point. If that's not a straight mechanic of the fight, then I gather it wasn't anything at all like a cakewalk, lol.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I really, really, REALLY doubt it. I'm still a little confused as to how the DK did it, but they are a tanking class at least.
    Self-healing and quite a few saves by the Hodir buff.

I doubt hunters can solo it this tier. Maybe by the end of Cata, but it's probably largely going to depend on how much health you and your pet have (since almost all your healing is % of health based), whether or not you'll be able to keep your pet up from all the damage he'll be taking and yourself up from the unavoidable damage you'll be taking.

forty on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I still wonder how the hell he possibly did the brain rooms by himself. Let alone handle Crusher tentacles in between.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Rius wrote: »
    I haven't watched the video yet, but numerous comments in that thread indicate that he dropped to 1 hp at some point. If that's not a straight mechanic of the fight, then I gather it wasn't anything at all like a cakewalk, lol.
    I think it might have been more than once. With Hodir up (he had all four keepers up, of course), when someone "dies," they actually get saved by a brief invulnerability effect. There's a cooldown on the effect, but it's not particularly long (I think less than 30 seconds), so when you're the only one there, it can save your ass quite a few times.

forty on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I still wonder how the hell he possibly did the brain rooms by himself.
    In the kill video, he got the Shadowvault brain room, which is the easiest one to solo since the tentacles are in three packs of three. Also, the tentacles don't have much health on 10-man. D&D took care of one, heart strike cleave took care of the other two packs. What I found most surprising is that he was able to get the brain down in just one trip, so he didn't have to worry about getting the worse tentacle room spawns.

forty on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    forty wrote: »
    Rius wrote: »
    I think it might have been more than once. With Hodir up (he had all four keepers up, of course), when someone "dies," they actually get saved by a brief invulnerability effect. There's a cooldown on the effect, but it's not particularly long (I think less than 30 seconds), so when you're the only one there, it can save your ass quite a few times.

Thanks for the explanation =) I'm slowly catching up to the content I've missed, but it'll probably be a while before I do anything more in Ulduar than solo Flame Leviathan for bike parts.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    forty wrote: »
    I still wonder how the hell he possibly did the brain rooms by himself.
    In the kill video, he got the Shadowvault brain room, which is the easiest one to solo since the tentacles are in three packs of three. Also, the tentacles don't have much health on 10-man. D&D took care of one, heart strike cleave took care of the other two packs. What I found most surprising is that he was able to get the brain down in just one trip, so he didn't have to worry about getting the worse tentacle room spawns.

Ah, yeah that makes more sense then. I'm amazed he was able to do it in one room.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm a bit confused...is the dk just taking so little damage that it doesnt matter or can he really self heal that powerfully? I havent tried a DK in awhile and im aware many changes have taken place but this seems kinda insane.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    He actually takes quite a bit of damage. I wasn't running the video in high res + full screen or anything so I wasn't really watching specifics, but I imagine he was chaining his healing/damage reduction cooldowns back to back as much as possible. Even then, he was at low health a lot. So I guess it's more of the latter, but things were definitely close.

I noticed he was buffed about as much as possible, with a flask, food buff, fortitude, and mark/kings, if that says anything.

forty on
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Have you guys tried dueling DKs? Unless you keep them kited, they can stay topped off indefinitely.

Me and this disc priest were steamrolling every burst team we fought right up until it was double DKs. They just ripped into us for like half an hour until my partner's mana ran dry, which I didn't even think was possible.

Glyph on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Have you guys tried dueling DKs? Unless you keep them kited, they can stay topped off indefinitely.

Me and this disc priest were steamrolling every burst team we fought right up until it was double DKs. They just ripped into us for like half an hour until my partner's mana ran dry, which I didn't even think was possible.

My two friends do Arena as duo Blood (tank spec) Death Knights. They went like 13-0 and laughed the whole time. It's like having decent damage with a pocket healer. They were saying some of that stuff is slated to be nerfed though cause it is obscene.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    2 DKS sounds brutal. Kiting one dk is easy. I think 2 is impossible without serious backup.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

What spec(s) were they? And yeah, I could see two DKs being a pretty good counter to most ranged+healer teams, as you're just not going to be able to pressure/kite enough to keep the Dark Succor'd Death Strikes from keeping them up. Of course, it apparently took them 30 minutes to beat you, so it's probably not too fun for the slowly chipping DKs either.

forty on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Can't remember. I think both were Frost but one could've been Blood.

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    K, had my first raid last night, got some questions.

Comparing my gear to the hunters in the raid that had been doing it awhile, There was only a small difference (I'm running about 348 gear they were at 356 or so). Both of the other hunters were marksman, I was beast master.

Now i was able to pretty consistantly put 13-16k dps on the board, and what i found odd was that the marksmen hunters were all over the place. One boss they would hit peaks of like 23k, others they were even or below me. Is Marks that streaky?

azith28 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Careful aimed and dynamic haste effects (hero, rapid fire, trinkets, etc) really increase Marks DPS by a shit-ton. This is because Aimed Shots scales extremely well with Haste. Don't look at DPS, look at Damage Done. I imagine they outpaced you there by quite a bit.

I did a 10m BH yesterday for example. I topped out @ 26k dps for the first 30 seconds, and ended up with an average of 22k.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MM's DPS is based on standing still, which is probably why you're seeing streaks like that. SV you can dance around the room with fox, and your DPS loss is because you're down 2K RAP that Hawk provides.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well im going to have to find a few examples of raiding BM hunters..I know equipment loadouts for us isnt the most diverse right now but the EJ information on beast hunters is still pretty vauge..they waffle on mastery vs haste but that information was before the animal handling was increased to 25% so its probably leaning more to mastery.

azith28 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Speaking from experience, haste is definitely superior to mastery for BM hunters.

Check out warcrafthuntersunion.com for lots of helpful info, particularly the Haste Plateau articles. Frostheim knows what he's talking about.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hum. i just read that link..lots of good info, most of which i had already known (generally same as EJ forums) but there seems to be as much argument about haste vs mastery in the thread below frostheims haste plateau article as there is on the EJ forums. Not sure if its a bug or not but the reality doesnt seem to match up with the math/theorycraft when comparing the two stats. For instance they claim in the thread that they could beat the rotation frostheim reported with much lower haste requirements and keep focus up . Due to a crappy web browser at work, i can only read about a dozen posts on the thread but several people were disagreeing with frostheims responses in this area so i still dunno.

azith28 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Frostheim initially made an error in his BM haste calculations, but several posters (myself included) pointed out the error and he revised his figures. The article is now correct.

And really, it's a no-brainer. Mastery raises your pet's damage and only your pet's damage, but even a BM pet only contributes about 40% of total dps. Haste, on the other hand, has the following effects;

Increases auto-shot speed and pet melee speed
    More auto-shots means more activations of Go for the Throat, which means more of your pet's Basic Attacks fall under Wild Hunt, which is great
    Directly increases focus regen for both Hunter and pet
    Increases Cobra Shot speed, which leads to better focus regen which leads to more Arcane Shots
    More Arcane Shots means more activations of Cobra Strikes, which means more guaranteed pet crits with Basic Attacks, which means more activations of Invigoration which means even more focus regen.

Basically, attacking faster is better than simply raising your pet's damage in about a dozen different ways.

As a BM hunter, you'll want to get to (or slightly above if necessary) 8% hit rating, then you want as much crit as possible, then as much haste as possible, then mastery wherever you happen to get it from. There IS a point where Haste is no longer as beneficial; that's talked about in the article.

Rius on
  • Options
    LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Am I the only one who gets really pissed off that, apparently, the hunter is the traditional scapegoat if a wipe happens? Even if a warrior aggroes a purple trog, or when you freeze trap trash and a triggerhappy mage goes all AoE, or when the other dps forget to attack the adds during the last Grim Batol fight...

Lolken on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lolken wrote: »
    Am I the only one who gets really pissed off that, apparently, the hunter is the traditional scapegoat if a wipe happens? Even if a warrior aggroes a purple trog, or when you freeze trap trash and a triggerhappy mage goes all AoE, or when the other dps forget to attack the adds during the last Grim Batol fight...

That does happen, I don't know why. A rogue trained some trash mobs, no where near me, and I got blamed because I pulled them because I was a skinner...I was like what?

It's always you or your pet, even when it's clearly not you. No idea why.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    having shunned all things alliance for practically my entire wow career, Playing a goblin hunter has given me some problems due to the short stature.

When i go to trap with the thrower, alot of times a small hill will make it impossible for me to place without getting up to the peak. Same thing with kill command, i get alot of 'out of range' and such when i dont have a direct line to my pet. The other night i was in SFK heroic and we get to the last room before the final boss. If you recall you walk through a door theres a small alcove and there is a ramp upward into the full room. standing in that room I cant see a damn thing with a whole group standing there. the tank of the Pug i was in for some reason put the skull target on the group behind the first group, then pulled the first group. I couldnt see to target (yes i know i could have assisted but he had one of those stupid names with the alt characters that i couldnt type into my macro). so i tab targetted to the skull and fired. of course that was the hunters fault.

azith28 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hmm. The first one (as well as LOS issues) are not related to you being a Goblin. All player models are the same height AFAIK. Model size is different (see kodos trying to get into doors) but I am pretty sure they all have the same LOS.

Don't forget you have Camo! Just hit it every time you are out of combat. It's awesome for setting up traps.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I don't think you need LoS to be able to use Kill Command. I think its only imitation is range, so if you couldn't use it, it wouldn't matter which race you were at the time.

forty on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That is correct, and the only reason to have it bound anywhere is for PVP as MM / Survival when your opponent is hiding behind a pillar
    If it's dalaran arena just keep mashing kill command for_ev_er

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I miss when KC could be popped at any time and just take effect as soon as your pet got in range, like intimidation.

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You mean when KC was a duration-based buff? Sure, but it had a completely different purpose then. It's BM's cooldown "shot" now, so the old design doesn't really make sense. But yeah, it does suck pressing the button that is essentially your version of Chimera/Explosive shot and having it not go off.

forty on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh I don't miss anything else about it. I just liked that I didn't have to wait for my pet to be in melee range.

Glyph on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Lolken wrote: »

That does happen, I don't know why. A rogue trained some trash mobs, no where near me, and I got blamed because I pulled them because I was a skinner...I was like what?

It's always you or your pet, even when it's clearly not you. No idea why.

Yep. I had something like that happen once(well more than once but this time really annoyed me because it so wasn't my fault) so I put the pet away. When they tried to blame it on my pet a second time I was all "nope! I don't even have it out". And then they were all "whatever crazy huntard" and kept on going.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hunters

* Hunters now earn Valor Points when they are effectively Vote Kicked from a Dungeon Finder group.

* Chimera Shot, Kill Command, and Explosive Shot have been redesigned as Chimera Trap, Kill Command Trap, and Explosiver Shot, respectively.

* Pets: regardless of what pet is actually tamed, these creatures will appear as either a wolf (Horde) or cat (Alliance) when in combat. In addition, we have implemented an exciting new cross-breeding system where players can mix pets of various families with unpredictable results. Be the first on your server to show off a Mothmonkey, Crocoliskchimera or Warp Crab (these will still appear as either a wolf/cat when in combat).

* Ettin’s Grip (new talent) allows the hunter to equip two ranged weapons simultaneously.

Very droll, Blizzard.

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    For the first time ever, I am having issues killing things in Arenas. It felt like anything wearing plate (hint: most comps) ended up with me wailing on them for 7+ minutes while kiting. Anyone else having this problem with all the resilence?

I ended up swapping to half PvP half PvE so I could have enough pressure :(

Edit: Also I just got my 4 piece bonus finally, no thanks to RNG. I now pull over 30k DPS for the first 20% of a fight :V

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Edit: Also I just got my 4 piece bonus finally, no thanks to RNG. I now pull over 30k DPS for the first 20% of a fight :V

It is pretty awesome.

Is it just me or is there something strange with FD. No matter what rating I optimize my reforging to no matter what spec (well Marks or Surv), my theoretical dps is always 26k give or take a few hundred. Given this, it seems as though I should just reforge to a haste plateau + latency and ignore anything else.

Rakeeth on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    For the first time ever, I am having issues killing things in Arenas. It felt like anything wearing plate (hint: most comps) ended up with me wailing on them for 7+ minutes while kiting. Anyone else having this problem with all the resilence?

If you're running 2s, you're going to hit a brick wall at around the 1600-1800 rating. Other than that, I'd recommend practicing with BM just because it does insane burst over Survival at the moment especially in PvP provided you know how to keep your pet on the target and pop KC whenever it's up.

Glyph on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Do Hunters want spell hit, or do they just care about the 8 percent?

Javen on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    We don't need spell hit (or expertise, but that's a little more obvious) at all.

Ahhh... maybe there's a use for spell penetration in pvp? But as far as hit is concerned, just the 8% physical hit will do.

Rius on