[WoW] [Hunters], Misdirecting everyone but tanks since '07

2456716

Posts

  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I personally use a Wolf and haven't found anything that's better then that for single mob tanking + insane damage. But if a crab works for you, that's fine. The one thing I recommend is getting the speed talents for your pet on, the pet getting to the mob quickly and start getting aggro means less for you. Which is good.

    As for Kill Shot, unless it's an elite, 9/10 it will die before it gets to it. It's really good for Elites and Dungeon Bosses otherwise, try to get it in there if u can, it's free.

    DrunkMc on
  • RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So i'm 85 now, and just getting in to doing normal Cata Dungeons. Having literally no experience with CCing mobs (I think i've used my Frost Trap....once? while levelling) I'm finding it a rough transition. I don't mind CCing stuff as I used to play a Mage and keeping something polyed was par for the course. But I'm finding it a much different task to CC something with a trap than just clicking it and pressing polymorph.

    Any tips/tricks I should know about utilizing my Frost Trap properly? Right now I'm misdirecting on to the tank before a Pull and tossing my frost trap on the target we want to CC in order to initiate the fight. That seems to work ok, but during boss battles when they want me to CC a specific target that shows up later, i'm having difficulty getting the job done. My current strategy is to drop my trap and aggro the new mob to get it to move over to me and hit the trap. But between the Tank aoe threat building stuff and the parties general aoe damage how do I pull this off quickly and effectively?

    For trash pulls, you pull the group by laying a freezing trap on your target then you cast MD after that. For some inexplicable reason Blizz decide to let freezing trap activate MD.

    For the other situation I usually lay a trap at my feet then distracting shot it. If your target ends cc'd near boss, your tank need to move the boss or your party needs to stop aeing. If you need to retrap something, keep in mind that just laying a freeze trap on an already trapped target will just break the trap. If you have a timer or if you have it focused and see the trap running out, place a new trap then break the cc and distracting shot it again. I've kept two of the pups in BRC cc'd this way for the entire dog fight, after someone cc'ing the one of them initially of course.

    Rakeeth on
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rakeeth wrote: »
    So i'm 85 now, and just getting in to doing normal Cata Dungeons. Having literally no experience with CCing mobs (I think i've used my Frost Trap....once? while levelling) I'm finding it a rough transition. I don't mind CCing stuff as I used to play a Mage and keeping something polyed was par for the course. But I'm finding it a much different task to CC something with a trap than just clicking it and pressing polymorph.

    Any tips/tricks I should know about utilizing my Frost Trap properly? Right now I'm misdirecting on to the tank before a Pull and tossing my frost trap on the target we want to CC in order to initiate the fight. That seems to work ok, but during boss battles when they want me to CC a specific target that shows up later, i'm having difficulty getting the job done. My current strategy is to drop my trap and aggro the new mob to get it to move over to me and hit the trap. But between the Tank aoe threat building stuff and the parties general aoe damage how do I pull this off quickly and effectively?

    For trash pulls, you pull the group by laying a freezing trap on your target then you cast MD after that. For some inexplicable reason Blizz decide to let freezing trap activate MD.

    For the other situation I usually lay a trap at my feet then distracting shot it. If your target ends cc'd near boss, your tank need to move the boss or your party needs to stop aeing. If you need to retrap something, keep in mind that just laying a freeze trap on an already trapped target will just break the trap. If you have a timer or if you have it focused and see the trap running out, place a new trap then break the cc and distracting shot it again. I've kept two of the pups in BRC cc'd this way for the entire dog fight, after someone cc'ing the one of them initially of course.

    Ah! Distracting shot seems to be the key thing I'm missing here. I forgot completely that I had an ability that worked like a taunt. That will help immensely. Thanks for the tips!

    Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User
    edited January 2011
    Scatter shot -> Trap Launcher works well too.

    TheCrumblyCracker on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    OK, so I tried shoving Kill Command into a macro with Arcane Shot as per the discussion from a few weeks ago in the previous hunter thread, and it did not work as someone was saying it did. It didn't "prioritize" KC over AS or anything like that. Occasionally it would use one then the other, but then it would just be stuck on KC and not bother ASing when it could have. Basically it behaved as I originally expected, but the previous hunter thread seemed to indicate it would work.

    forty on
    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    forty wrote: »
    OK, so I tried shoving Kill Command into a macro with Arcane Shot as per the discussion from a few weeks ago in the previous hunter thread, and it did not work as someone was saying it did. It didn't "prioritize" KC over AS or anything like that. Occasionally it would use one then the other, but then it would just be stuck on KC and not bother ASing when it could have. Basically it behaved as I originally expected, but the previous hunter thread seemed to indicate it would work.

    Same results here.

    Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    OK, so I tried shoving Kill Command into a macro with Arcane Shot as per the discussion from a few weeks ago in the previous hunter thread, and it did not work as someone was saying it did. It didn't "prioritize" KC over AS or anything like that. Occasionally it would use one then the other, but then it would just be stuck on KC and not bother ASing when it could have. Basically it behaved as I originally expected, but the previous hunter thread seemed to indicate it would work.

    Same results here.

    Can you guys copy the macro here so we can see how it's set up?

    Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, it certainly doesn't prioritize KC. It's just a regular "if this is available, use it, then use this other one" and the whole thing gets cocked up because of KC's cooldown.

    They're both on global cooldown, so I don't see why the person in the old thread thought that they'd work like that. You could (and should) macro the old KC to everything because it didn't trigger the gcd and it become another form of passive damage, but now that it's an actual important ability it'd be silly to just macro it to stuff. Blizzard doesn't want people making macros that basically play the game for you.

    reVerse on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Found it.

    That was the page with the discussion. Looks like I had actually concluded from the posts that it was useless to do it, but I forgot that in the last month or so and just remembered the general "macro Kill Shot" to things agreement that seemed to be going on at the time. So this last weekend I finally logged on my hunter for the first time since WotLK and went to try it myself. I guess I just re-discovered the same thing.

    forty on
    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The "Macro Kill Shot to Everything" rule went out the window when 4.0 dropped and put KC back on the global cooldown.

    It doesn't even get pushed in my SV spec.

    Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Other than rare PvP circumstances, there's no reason for anyone but BM hunters to touch KC. Of course that doesn't have to do with the GCD really, but rather the focus:damage ratio compared to your other shots.

    forty on
    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone have opinions on which of the three specs has the most "free" focus, or, has the lowest number of steady/cobra shots compared to other special abilities?

    Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Septus wrote: »
    Anyone have opinions on which of the three specs has the most "free" focus, or, has the lowest number of steady/cobra shots compared to other special abilities?

    Survival most likely. With Thrill of the Hunt and Lock and Load I would imagine you get a lot of Free focus and focus back. Beast mastery allows your pet to give you some focus back with Invigoration and increases max focus by 10.

    Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, how big is the armor nerf to pets?

    I've been leveling with a crab pet and I've been enjoying the 55% armor reduction it has.

    Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dac wrote: »
    So, how big is the armor nerf to pets?

    I've been leveling with a crab pet and I've been enjoying the 55% armor reduction it has.

    Is this an upcoming nerf? Cause as I leveled I used a crab, but also switched to things like Devilsaurs and Foxes. They seemed to do just fine because I had them specced to heal when they attacked, and if they got in a bind, one application of Mend pet usually fixed them right up. At the very worst I could have them Lick their wounds to go from almost dead to full in 5 seconds, or if they happened to die, I could Phoenix them to full 100% health once every 8 minutes.

    My tank pets just don't take damage in the first place, and if they do It is healed up by the healing they get from Growl+the talent they get to increase healing on them. They only go down when they are tanking 5+ equal level mobs, and even then they only die if I forgot to use mend pet on them.

    Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pets are going to have 70% of a Hunter's armor, instead of different armor values based on its type.

    Unless I'm mistaken, my crab is gonna go from a plate wearer with a shield to, like, mail without a shield.

    Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I believe that's poorly worded patch notes. It's the opposite to the way you're thinking. It's 70% in ADDITION to the pet's base armour. Which is what tenacity gets now, so it's a buff to the armour of the other pets, rather than a nerf.

    -SPI- on
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Septus wrote: »
    Anyone have opinions on which of the three specs has the most "free" focus, or, has the lowest number of steady/cobra shots compared to other special abilities?

    Survival most likely. With Thrill of the Hunt and Lock and Load I would imagine you get a lot of Free focus and focus back. Beast mastery allows your pet to give you some focus back with Invigoration and increases max focus by 10.

    I've actually found SV to be the most focus intensive. Thrill is a great help, but is by no means reliable. After using your main shots (Explosive, Black Arrow) you pretty much need to keep using Cobra Shot til Explosive comes off CD... upon which you use that, and go back to building focus for the next one/BA. Very rarely do I actually have enough focus to need to dump it via Arcane, only during Bloodlust/Rapid Fire/etc.

    MM, during the time I was trying it after 4.0.1 hit, seemed to be pretty good for having "free" focus to dump. Two talents come to mind as well, Termination and Rapid Recuperation, both which provide more focus at different phases of fights.

    BM I've tooled around with a bit, seems to also have quite a bit of "free" focus. Focus Fire and Bestial Wrath help with this. Fervor is a nice cooldown as well, good synergy during BW. And there's Invigoration as well.

    That being said, it sounds like you want to use Steady/Cobra less and special abilities more? Not really sure what to say, because focus regen is tied to those two abilities. Having tried all three specs though, SV feels closest to how hunters played during Wrath, i.e, use abilities then use steady (or in this case, cobra) as filler (except it's not really filler! you get what i mean).

    Try all three and see what you like the best.

    Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I believe that's poorly worded patch notes. It's the opposite to the way you're thinking. It's 70% in ADDITION to the pet's base armour. Which is what tenacity gets now, so it's a buff to the armour of the other pets, rather than a nerf.

    Oh.

    That would be awesome.

    Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User
    edited January 2011
    So, who can't wake for Marksman? I can't wait for Marksman.

    Marksmanmarksmanmarksman!!

    I'm going to be keeping a survival offspec for AOE heavy encounters (magmaw, maloriak, cho'gall). I am hoping it's on par!

    TheCrumblyCracker on
  • EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like the fact that survival is top dps spec for a change. Except for a brief period in the beginning of Wrath, MM or BM has pretty much always been the go-to raid spec. But I'd be happy if either SV or MM is better than BM, because fuck BM.

    Emporium on
  • RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Emporium wrote: »
    I like the fact that survival is top dps spec for a change. Except for a brief period in the beginning of Wrath, MM or BM has pretty much always been the go-to raid spec. But I'd be happy if either SV or MM is better than BM, because fuck BM.

    Agreed. BM has got to be the most boring to play while raiding. Had enough of that in the middle of BC.

    Rakeeth on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User
    edited January 2011
    It's not that it's better, it's the fact that it's the ONLY choice!

    TheCrumblyCracker on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rakeeth wrote: »
    Emporium wrote: »
    I like the fact that survival is top dps spec for a change. Except for a brief period in the beginning of Wrath, MM or BM has pretty much always been the go-to raid spec. But I'd be happy if either SV or MM is better than BM, because fuck BM.

    Agreed. BM has got to be the most boring to play while raiding. Had enough of that in the middle of BC.

    What are you talking about? I think you have it, like, backwards for Wrath. BM by and large sucked after Naxx. IIRC, Survival was pretty close to Marks for a long time - better, actually, I think - until very late gear levels when Marks started outscaling it by a significant margin.

    Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Nulian FeadraugNulian Feadraug Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Survival was a viable raid spec during BC, but only for 1 hunter per raid, and especially in melee heavy raids because of expose weakness which gave physical attacks +AP on the target based on the hunter's AGI. But yea, Survival was completely viable for at least 2/3 of Wrath, it's always been my favorite spec.

    Nulian Feadraug on
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SV was better until late Ulduar/early ToC, then MM started edging it out. Hell, it was good in ICC, at least for movement heavy fights like putricide. I think I did better than the MM guys until we had more 277 gear. I want MM to work again though, SV isn't too forgiving on lag spikes.

    Skeith on
    mts wrote: »
    heres how i see it being a total win situation for you
    1. stay with your wife while she dog sits. this wins husband points since she knows its out of your comfort zone
    2. have sex all over her friends house so that the next time you see her friend look at you condescendingly, you can wink back knowing you did the freaky deaky where she eats her cheerios.
  • -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah ICC they were pretty neck and neck until MM got large amounts of arpen and gear from the latter bosses.

    -SPI- on
  • RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dac wrote: »
    Rakeeth wrote: »
    Emporium wrote: »
    I like the fact that survival is top dps spec for a change. Except for a brief period in the beginning of Wrath, MM or BM has pretty much always been the go-to raid spec. But I'd be happy if either SV or MM is better than BM, because fuck BM.

    Agreed. BM has got to be the most boring to play while raiding. Had enough of that in the middle of BC.

    What are you talking about? I think you have it, like, backwards for Wrath. BM by and large sucked after Naxx. IIRC, Survival was pretty close to Marks for a long time - better, actually, I think - until very late gear levels when Marks started outscaling it by a significant margin.

    For myself I was only talking about mid-BC around Black Temple.

    Rakeeth on
  • EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dac wrote: »
    Rakeeth wrote: »
    Emporium wrote: »
    I like the fact that survival is top dps spec for a change. Except for a brief period in the beginning of Wrath, MM or BM has pretty much always been the go-to raid spec. But I'd be happy if either SV or MM is better than BM, because fuck BM.

    Agreed. BM has got to be the most boring to play while raiding. Had enough of that in the middle of BC.

    What are you talking about? I think you have it, like, backwards for Wrath. BM by and large sucked after Naxx. IIRC, Survival was pretty close to Marks for a long time - better, actually, I think - until very late gear levels when Marks started outscaling it by a significant margin.


    Like Skeith said in a previous post, marksmanship started edging out survival in Wrath by the time ToC came around, and it scaled much better from that point on due to superior scaling with weapon damage and armor penetration. If someone beat marksmanship hunters as survival in late 3.2 or 3.3, I would be far more likely to chalk that up to personal execution than spec or gear. Survival hunters never came close to me in ICC, and my gear was mostly 264 with a handful of 277 pieces by the time I got tired of the place. Most hunters I played with at that time were in comparable or in some cases slightly worse gear.

    BM was only the top dps spec in Wrath until the first bug-fix patch hit (3.0.8?), but it was the top dps spec for almost all of TBC, although a survival hunter was often brought for the AP buff it would bring. I think marksmanship was the top dps spec in vanilla too, but everything was such garbage back then I don't think it even matters.

    So with the exception of about the first 10-12 months of Wrath, BM or marksmanship has pretty much been the top dps spec. Arguments can certainly be made for the viability of other specs, but that's not what I've been talking about.

    Emporium on
  • -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd rather they were all pretty much the same and people were free to play whatever playstyle they want rather than some bullshit "revenge" for nonsense perceived past injustice.

    -SPI- on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Emporium wrote: »
    So with the exception of about the first 10-12 months of Wrath, BM or marksmanship has pretty much been the top dps spec. Arguments can certainly be made for the viability of other specs, but that's not what I've been talking about.

    Too bad what I was talking about was Wrath.

    And Wrath it went:

    Survival/Marks > BM

    to

    Marks > Survival > BM

    The idea that Survival should "have its day in the sun" reminds me of when Ret paladins were reaming everyone's anuses circa patch 3.0, before the Wrath content was actually released and before the massive number of Pally nerfs.

    Guess what? Everyone hated that and called it a bullshit excuse - including every single Hunter I know. Because:
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I'd rather they were all pretty much the same and people were free to play whatever playstyle they want rather than some bullshit "revenge" for nonsense perceived past injustice.

    Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just because I'm happy that survival is the top dps spec for the time being doesn't mean that I want survival to remain the only choice. I'd also be perfectly content if all 3 specs are viable. I don't like BM though, not because of "revenge" or whatever other reasons have been pulled out of thin air, but because I don't like the way it plays.

    I'm honestly not even sure what we're arguing about anymore.

    Emporium on
  • -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Personal grudges against specs are not viable reasons for them to be shit compared to the others. That's the whole fucking point, they should all be the same so you can play the spec depending on which you like to play.

    -SPI- on
  • SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I used to like surv a lot for pvp. But now even in it's shitty as state i'll go marks for the utility.

    They should replace counterattack with a "net throw (range root)" or something not completely stupid at this stage in the game where we have no viable melee attacks and no longer have any amount of useful parry or dodge rating. Counter attack right nw is about as useful as Lacerate was in vanilla... lols

    BM is meh, once they removed the BW cc invuln it stopped being faceroll and just became sub par. Kill command is blah and your pet can be cc'd so many ways it's annoying. Next to no utility and slightly easier to avoid damage (pet not in range of target). I think they should give exotic pets some kind of extra damage ability that only they have. May help spruce up the pets. That or give BM some interesting new ability outside of intimidation, like that snake shot they messed around with in beta.

    Also traps.. so bad... they really should just make trap launcher when activated, fire the trap at a person directly.. none of this shooting it on the ground bullshit.. just make it into a freeze/frost/snake/immo/explosive arrow and remove the goddamn clunkiness of trap launcher.

    Anyways.. i've tried the PTR out and are liking the changes.. now i'm just tired of waiting for this new patch to go live. .. GO LIVE DAMNIT! TIRED OF BEING NOT AS USEFUL AS I SHOULD IN PVP!!! ><

    Sonork on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Question ... I got these yesterday from a random mob in HoO:

    http://www.wowhead.com/item=67150

    I just bought a Delicate Inferno Ruby for +40 agi for the red socket, but have no idea what to do for the blue socket ... any suggestions?

    TheBigEasy on
  • -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Another delicate inferno ruby.

    -SPI- on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ok .. done :).

    Now another question. Dragonscale Leg Armor (190 AP + 55 Crit) or Charscale Leg Armor (145 Stam + 55 Agi)?

    EDIT: Scratch that ... it is gonna be Dragonscale ...

    TheBigEasy on
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also traps.. so bad... they really should just make trap launcher when activated, fire the trap at a person directly.. none of this shooting it on the ground bullshit.. just make it into a freeze/frost/snake/immo/explosive arrow and remove the goddamn clunkiness of trap launcher.

    Part of me would fucking flip if they changed that. The other part wonders how bad fights like Cho'gall would be.

    Skeith on
    mts wrote: »
    heres how i see it being a total win situation for you
    1. stay with your wife while she dog sits. this wins husband points since she knows its out of your comfort zone
    2. have sex all over her friends house so that the next time you see her friend look at you condescendingly, you can wink back knowing you did the freaky deaky where she eats her cheerios.
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I hit 69 and got my Core Hound! It was too much fun, me and a friend who has an 85 DK had to go through BRD to get into MC since neither of us were attuned (picked it up for trying to solo it later), and we get to the Core Hound and I didn't realize I needed aggro to tame. So the first Core Hound was a bust.

    The second one my friend drags, I shoot it in the face a couple of times, not surprisngly it ignores my ice trap and I start taming. I'm getting SLAMMED, and then I see beautiful words DODGE, then the timer runs out as I die. GOT HIM!!!!! He killed me taming him, how cool is that?

    I installed a mod to quiet down his lava flow sound and everything else is just gravy. Loving him so far! P.S. I named him Snuggles so he is a bit demeaned for killing me. :-P

    DrunkMc on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User
    edited January 2011
    Also traps.. so bad... they really should just make trap launcher when activated, fire the trap at a person directly.. none of this shooting it on the ground bullshit.. just make it into a freeze/frost/snake/immo/explosive arrow and remove the goddamn clunkiness of trap launcher.

    What? The trap launcher is awesome. I use it just fine in PVP and PVE.

    TheCrumblyCracker on
Sign In or Register to comment.