As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FRINGE] Reality be fragmenting at the seams

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I worry a bit that this show doesnt know where it is going now that the major plot of the last few seasons has been resolved to a less end of the world is neigh type state.

I dont care that much about
    peter being missing

To be honest, I hope that they resolve the plot but keep things the same. As much as I miss those coats, I could live without a reset to the status quo. Closure is needed but thats about it.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Disrupter wrote:
    I worry a bit that this show doesnt know where it is going now that the major plot of the last few seasons has been resolved to a less end of the world is neigh type state.

I dont care that much about
    peter being missing

To be honest, I hope that they resolve the plot but keep things the same. As much as I miss those coats, I could live without a reset to the status quo. Closure is needed but thats about it.
    They would need to bring in a very strong new lead if they were going to keep him out. I would be astounded if he didn't come back.

It's strange, Olivia is just totally unlikeable (although the actress is actually fairly talented as we seen when she plays Fauxlivia) and Walther is just more of a comedy background. CIA-guy is a tad bland in both worlds.

That said, you're most likely on the money with the show not knowing where it's going. There's a great deal of stuff in the earlier episodes that has been just dropped altogether (namely the incredibly feeble "pattern" stuff, where random events happening in random places was somehow a pattern. I mean yes, we later learnt that some of these events were a result of holes in the universe, but it seems pretty clear that this was not intended from the beginning). Honestly though, it's not a bad thing for a TV show to admit that it's being made up as they go along, you can still make for compelling viewing doing it that way (Like in Breaking Bad).

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Yeah, I am fine with them making stuff up as they go. But they need to make something up for us to care about outside of monster of the week. The main plot they have right now is meh to me because its painfully obvious things will end up relatively back to normal, at least as far was the characters go. Hopefully the ramiifications of getting it back to normal lead to something more interesting.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    I think it's been stated numerous times you should start halfway through season one, and go back later.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well, this is a novel way to break them up, I guess. With all the crap that's changed I wonder if this is the new status quo since they just popped him into the changes without reverting any.

• Options
    Im moderately excited to see where they go. There was a moment in the preview for next week that had me pumped...
    Peter says something along the lines of "you have to help me figure out what went wrong!"
    So it seems like he knows something that we dont, and that things are not nearly as safe and honkey dorey as it seems.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I avoid the previews since they're either spoilers or dirty lies. Hence, I can imagine anything I want that is worth being pumped over... Olivia kisses TWO strippers?! Walter rides Jean into Walternate's office and beats him to death?!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    All of the above. Except one of the two Strippers is Fauxlivia.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Errr, why has Walter's eye grown back?

Either way, that episode went back to the early "Really bad in your face science" stuff which was a shame.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:

Why would you think his eye would need to grow back?
    The type of lobotomy he was performing doesn't damage the eye at all when done by a competent practitioner. The approach is next to the eye, not through it.

• Options
    Ketar wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:

Why would you think his eye would need to grow back?
    The type of lobotomy he was performing doesn't damage the eye at all when done by a competent practitioner. The approach is next to the eye, not through it.

We saw the empty socket.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Nope

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Clearly I was watching a special "edited for Mojo" edition.

• Options
    We saw a hole to the side of his eye, he just had his eye squinted shut mostly.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Claire.... really?

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    There are only so many A-names he knows.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I thought Claire was the name of the woman who died in the lab fire.

• Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    Boo! They keep pushing the next episode back :( I want my Fringe.

The Olivia that didn't have Peter really has some distinct differences to our Olivia. In some ways, I like it.

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote:
    I thought Claire was the name of the woman who died in the lab fire.

I just caught up.

that was a reference to "St. Claire" the mental hospital Walter was worried about being put back in.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Next week looks pretty crazy, although I hope
    the time fuckery can measure up to the high quality in White Tulip

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Stupid, stupid TV scheduling. Sigh. They're building up and then it's just going to vanish. Great. Hopefully the next 2 eps get going before the lame break. Peter better not still be in the damn cell for 2 months...

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Ugh that doesn't look very good for the Division and I don't believe for a second Olivia was just having a deja-vu moment.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Of course not. Time shenanigans aren't over yet. She has to remember everything eventually.

• Options
    Whoa that was a good one. Usually the time travel episodes on a show are the worst, but they continually prove to be the best in Fringe.

While Tulip
    Season Three Finale
    And Those We've Left Behind

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    it appears from the next episode preview that
    Peter's going to try to get back to his native timeline using the Machine

which seems like an extraordinarily bad idea

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I liked this episode, but I couldn't stop being reminded of the Futurama episode with the time-skipping Globetrotters.

I predict Peter's attempt to use the machine will go horribly awry and start importing other-universe bits into this (comparatively) stable universe with hilarious (read: terrible) results. I also predict this is how we'll get "our" Olivia back; she'll basically be partly fused with this Olivia.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    Walter's rant about the Faraday Cage has been second only to "We'll have to check her anus" for this seasons top Walterisms.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'll be terribly disappointed if there isn't a brawl between twenty different Olivias by the end of the season.

• Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    I was thrown off at the end when Peter goes to the house and starts uncovering all the dusty furniture. It's obvious that it had all been there for a LONG time untouched since before Walter went away, but Peter pulls a dusty sheet off a flat panel LCD tv that's around 46" and looks brand new.

NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah that was strange, if I was desperate to explain it, I would point the numerous differences in this timeline.

• Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    rockmonkey wrote:
    I was thrown off at the end when Peter goes to the house and starts uncovering all the dusty furniture. It's obvious that it had all been there for a LONG time untouched since before Walter went away, but Peter pulls a dusty sheet off a flat panel LCD tv that's around 46" and looks brand new.

Maybe that's a subtle hint, that the whole thing is just a "Nowhere Man"-style ruse set up by the observers?

Or maybe the marketing guy at Fox gets paid more than the continuity guy.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    I'll go with option #2, not that it really matters.

That was pretty good, but if they do end up keeping this separate from the other timeline it makes all these fell like 'What If' arc where things are crappier overall it seems. Unless it gets to stick around. So basically a 2nd Other Side. On the upside, it's been a decent arc anyway, so.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I don't normally mind the product placement in Fringe, but that Sprint moment was fucking ridiculous. "Do you need to start a video chat so that your fellow agents can see the Fringe event? Now you can, with Sprint!" I probably wouldn't even have minded that, except that the image through the phone was completely incomprehensible. Bah.

In general, though, I'm really happy with where Fringe is right now. The episode to episode quality is pretty near the top for the show, and I love the way they've carefully rebooted each character. They really analyzed how their ensemble worked and identified problems to correct--now Astrid has a purpose, Peter has more agency, Walter is more interesting, and they even finally figured out where Nina Sharp fits in (mother figure to the group). Oh, and they added Lincoln, who is awesome. They also managed to vastly simplify their tangled, fucked-up continuity, so that now it all makes a lot more sense.

I'm curious as to how they intend to resolve the season's conflict between the two timelines, but for the most part I'd be happy to stick with what we have now.

(The only real thing that still bothers me is the total lack of anti-shapeshifter policies. Number 1: when chasing a shapeshifter, do not split up. Number 2: if a Fringe agent does not return the correct password when asked, he/she will be immediately arrested and/or shot. It's just that simple, people.)

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    That and they still have memory discs in their backs. There has to be a way to check for that without cutting them in half.

• Options
    Yuck, another episode that brings us back to the lowlights of the first series and the constant misuse of well established science words.

Every few minutes Peter would say something else that was over-specific nonsense. I thought they'd conquered this issue and learnt how to present pseudoscience, but it seems not.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Yuck, another episode that brings us back to the lowlights of the first series and the constant misuse of well established science words.

Every few minutes Peter would say something else that was over-specific nonsense. I thought they'd conquered this issue and learnt how to present pseudoscience, but it seems not.

Care to elaborate? Bearing in mind that I'm a scientifically clueless Linguistics major.

For my part I was torn on whether to face palm or applaud the "clever" joke when they went to "Wissenschaft" prison in season one. In the end I decided it was probably intended as a joke. A stupid one.

• Options
    "I have too many variables and not enough constants!?" - No, you need more equations if you have too many variables.

Pacey determines that he needs to check for alpha radiation at the site. He then seamlessly moves on to neutrons, which apparently only affect metal rather than killing everybody at the time travel events.

Once we're at the house he says he needs a Faraday cage (that's fine, if they want to blame some EM nonsense, I can tolerate that, it'd do fuck all for the neutrons but whatever), but then he just straps on a climbing harness with a few wires. Calling that a Faraday cage was just baffling.

Then we have the lack of ability to stick to the established "how something works". So, they can't use walkie talkies inside the field, fine, but Pacey then walks to the edge and shouts into his to talk to Olivia. Why not just step through to have a chat?

I don't need "real science" in Fringe. I just need internal consistency (I'm not even talking about the "there are no rules to this time travel, so I am going to write equations that apparently describe things that lack rules nonsense) and for them to not use specific words that they don't understand. If they'd just said "radiation" it would have been fine, making up how the harness worked rather than calling it a Faraday cage would have been A-ok too.

It really confuses me how this shit makes it into the final script.

• Options
    Because no one (but everyone who does) gives a shit. If you're going to take issue with it you're going to notice it regardless. They even specifically mentioned it was a WALTER BISHOP Faraday Cage. You don't find that acceptable or glossed right over it onto "That's not a Faraday Cage.". I'm personally ok with Walter bending time and space with the biology of a tire iron. Show works better that way, I bet.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Yeah, that should be like the first rule of science fiction pseudo science. Make up a word or use something non-specific so you can invent the rules yourself. It's easier to write and it works better!

And I guess I did actually catch a few of those (the variables/constants thing, and writing equations for something without rules, and the walkie thing) , but apparently I'm pretty good at ignoring stupid stuff like that. When it isn't in my own fields of expertise of course.