As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FRINGE] Reality be fragmenting at the seams

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Peter was the one who cut him in half

In this timeline there was no peter. Jones was never cut in half. without peter the team never even knew Jones existed. So it stands to reason his original plan of teleporting out the prison, Remaking the gate device and crossing over succeeded without interference.

Otherwise the entire first season is pointless. If Jones would still have failed without them stopping him, it shows that the heroes were ineffectual and useless.

It's the "It's a Wonderful Life" plot.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Last night's "Monster of the Week" plot was about as anemic as this show's ever gotten. Don't even get me started on the science. I know Fringe science has always been super soft, but at least it tried to appear like it made sense. This one was just so... So... Copy+paste ideas from earlier in the series and throw them together in a mashup because the monster of the week wasn't really important, it was what was going on with Olivia. Usually they do something with the MotW that ties it in somehow with the interactions of the characters in the episodes (loss, family, etc.), leading to some revelation or character development, but - as nearly as I can tell - they didn't do that here. The MotW was such an afterthought, and not resolved at all, so it makes me wonder why they even bothered having it in there. I mean, they've done monsterless episodes before, there's no reason to feel obligated to do one just because it's Fringe.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I liked how they solved it by catching 2 or 3 out of 200 or so. Case closed!

They do need to cut out the MotW stuff and get to the plot, they're probably running out of time here...

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote:

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Yeah, if they are going to have such a weak monster of the week, then they should just make it a montage.

So they're at random places, dealing with random shit and there's no need to go into any particular bits and pieces. What they did was just so damn sloppy.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    The preview for next week certainly set expectations high.

edited February 2012
    Well, I give myself a point for
    realizing Nina wasn't Nina a few minutes before they started in with the clues to it.

But then I was then expecting Jones to lose at least an arm or leg to the portal, figured Olivia would shoot it instead of him, so I guess in the end it's a wash.

They set up the plot to move forward, but it didn't really. We know what the Observers are now, I guess, so there's that. They better get a move on before they get cancelled!

Xeddicus on
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    September's first appearance was great.

I am pleased to see
    the Beacon
    in the promo for new stuff, but I am worried that this is starting to turn into a rehash of season 1 stuff.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So does his comment about 'there are advantages to having ones particles seperated and reattached' mean that he really did get cut in half?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    So does his comment about 'there are advantages to having ones particles seperated and reattached' mean that he really did get cut in half?

No, he got teleported out of prison remember.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Well sure but that didnt make him able to take a shot through the neck.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • LineNoizLineNoiz Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Well sure but that didnt make him able to take a shot through the neck.
    At the time he got cut in half, he was falling apart. Since that didn't happen in this timeline, I'm assuming that whatever it was they did to him to make him stop falling apart has also made him Wolverine. Or something like that.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Well according to the fertility doctor:
    He was constantly tinkering with the DNA before implanting the embryos.

I got the impression based on that statement that out of those 200 or so children he "created" there may be several different versions where the earlier ones were failures in that they didn't have these abilities, or were only sporadic.

The kid in the mental institution said he only heard at maximum 8-9 voices. I'd guess that the kid in question, plus the 2-3 they captured during the attempt to kill Olivia represented the last iterations and the most successful ones. The remaining 6 or so probably just heard random voices and didn't actually "connect" with their brothers and sisters.

edited March 2012
    So Peter killed the universe two universes at the least and then monster of the week. Could have been better.

Xeddicus on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Wait, when was this porcupine incident the first time around? Because I do not remember that episode at all.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Wait, when was this porcupine incident the first time around? Because I do not remember that episode at all.

Pilot episode, right?

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Wow, you are right, that was the pilot episode. And apparently it has been a while since I saw that.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Man that was a pretty stupid monster of the week. Much too Doctor Moreau, not very believable.

Yiddish an "ancient" language? Come on. Medieval does really not equal ancient. Putting Sumerian and Yiddish in the same group is just...man. Sumerian went extinct somewhere around 1800 BC (lived on as a classical language though), Yiddish developed around 1000 AD.

Also, Fringe Division is located at Harvard. I'd think they could find some more qualified expert in Cuneiform and assorted languages than random book store guy.

I suppose it's nice though that they are now also saying stupid things about languages so I can get in on the mocking of the show that science and engineering students enjoy.

So no one noticed there was a shapeshifter in Fringe HQ? That should have been the #1 thing they got on once they saw that/Lincoln figured out what it was (not that it was hard to figure out...). Bad enough they never got around to developing a shapeshifter test, but now the bad guys have to get rid of that data post haste and not tip their hand while doing it.

And at least everything seems to be better overall in these versions of the universes, but it's still kinda of blah they wiped them out too.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I'm thinking there might be deep cover shapeshifters. That, or he isn't even a shapeshifter. Just a regular mole.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    The porcupine people first showed up in "The Transformation", not the pilot.

I'm wondering if there's more to the events of the end of the episode that meets the eye. We see Altstrid going to speak to Col. Broyles, Bolivia and Lincoln realizing they can pinpoint the location of every single one of Nina's shapeshifters, and then Bolivia gets the call about Lincoln-B being dead - a guy who seemed pretty fine just a little while ago. This, combined with the fact that the Other Side seems to have some pretty super-duper medical technology, makes me wonder if Col. Broyles figured out that his cover was about to get blown if he didn't do something and killed off the other Lincoln to confuse everyone and buy time for Nina's people to do something about the data in New Jersey.

Whew, that ended up being really long.

oE0mva1.jpg
    That would be a really weak ass attempt to delay them. "Someone died, better not hunt down the Shapeshifters for awhile!". I'd assume it have the opposite effect after the first day at the most. Piss everyone off to hunt them them all down.

And It's TV so he could drop dead at any point (or not), so I'd say he's dead-dead. But who knows.

• spacebearspacebear Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Quick question for someone who's been out of the Fringe loop.

I stopped at the end of Season 3 - honestly is it worth getting into again? I was finding the story to be very dry and found myself only enjoying the show because of Walter :(

spacebear on
    Season 4 started out pretty rocky, but, as of late, has been very good (in my opinion).

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    Season 3 was really it's peak, depending on how 4 ends. I'd say the attempt to resolve all the crazy universe shenanigans that have occurred show a certain willingness by he writers to make sense in the show, but damned if I'm not tapping my foot waiting for the right end. Seems like Fringe really drags their ass through the start of each season but their finales are too fucking good to not watch the lot of it. I suppose maybe I'd wait till this season ends, or just watch 2 episodes and see if you can get into the new "universe" storylines that occur.

Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
    I am super-stoked for next week's
    Observer dystopia
    , considering the show's tradition of insane nineteenth episodes (Lysergic Acid Diethylamide, Brown Betty)

oE0mva1.jpg
    Well damn, they sure showed me:
    They win points for making Alt-Broyles not a shapeshifter, even though it should have been obvious, but they did a bang up job of giving me shapeshifter-on-the-brain.

Still kind of sad they're kind of just ignoring Peter wiped out 2 realities, but as long as Olivia survived everything is fine I guess. Even though to do so she killed a 3rd Olivia... Things seem better overall, just it may as well be like none of the previous seasons happened...which I suppose is a good thing considering how fucked things up were...so I suppose it's a wash, really.

What the hell kind of plan is it to collapse both sides, though?! Jones bugging out to a third? Creating a third by doing this? I demand answers!

The special title sequence for this week is sick as hell.

oE0mva1.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    What I so love about this series is that they just fucking run with it. It started with the parallel universe stuff and goes on to universe-altering changes.
    In other series, there's always a reset switch looming. Not so here. We altered the shows setting to a staggering degree? FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Appropriately, the Fringe season finale has two possible endings:
    But while the network has still yet to announce its decision, star Lance Reddick has revealed to Zap2It that, fittingly, the show has prepared for either contingency with two versions of the fourth season finale that lead to two potential realities.

In one universe, Fringe gets picked up for a 13-episode final season, and the finale ends with a “crazy cliffhanger” scene that Reddick says “could open up an entire new season.” In the alternate universe, Fringe gets canceled, that scene gets cut, and the episode serves as a series finale that “seems to answer almost all the questions that started in Season 1… except for that one story” that won’t make it to air. Either way, Reddick echoes what co-stars Joshua Jackson and John Noble have previously said about the season ender providing closure, as well as leaving fans “satisfied” by where a lot of the characters’ relationships end up (which would certainly be new for the show). But of course, that’s assuming that Fringe fans will be satisfied by anything other than renewal, which we can assure Reddick they will not.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Appropriately, the Fringe season finale has two possible endings:
    But while the network has still yet to announce its decision, star Lance Reddick has revealed to Zap2It that, fittingly, the show has prepared for either contingency with two versions of the fourth season finale that lead to two potential realities.

In one universe, Fringe gets picked up for a 13-episode final season, and the finale ends with a “crazy cliffhanger” scene that Reddick says “could open up an entire new season.” In the alternate universe, Fringe gets canceled, that scene gets cut, and the episode serves as a series finale that “seems to answer almost all the questions that started in Season 1… except for that one story” that won’t make it to air. Either way, Reddick echoes what co-stars Joshua Jackson and John Noble have previously said about the season ender providing closure, as well as leaving fans “satisfied” by where a lot of the characters’ relationships end up (which would certainly be new for the show). But of course, that’s assuming that Fringe fans will be satisfied by anything other than renewal, which we can assure Reddick they will not.

Final season? I'm not sure if I like either of those realities.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    The fact that there are even talks going on right now for a final 13 episode season is pretty remarkable, given its current ratings state. Hope it happens.

Yeah, that be the best outcome most likely. But I'm open to TV miracles.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I just saw the white tulip episode in season 2

holy sheeeeeeeiiiiiiiiit that was the best ending. my god.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    I just saw the white tulip episode in season 2

holy sheeeeeeeiiiiiiiiit that was the best ending. my god.

Yeah, that's one of their best standalone episodes.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    White Tulip is the single best episode I think.

It's the one I've shown people that have never seen the show. and it's remarkable that you could argue they did a better time travel story in 45 minutes than LOST did in a whole season. And I am unapologetically in love with LOST.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    White Tulip is the one with Peter Weller, isn't it? That one was pretty great.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    So.... um...

Yeah, that happened. Will happen. Maybe?

Man, what did I just watch?

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So.... um...

Yeah, that happened. Will happen. Maybe?

Man, what did I just watch?

My guess?

The two timelines merged (no twin towers, but amber everywhere, and otherside fringe division - this is probably Jones's fault.

This, coupled with Peter and Olivia having a kid, set the future so far askew from what was supposed to happen that the observers had to step in and take control of things in order to preserve their existence.

Walter, having gotten his brain back, is now the guy he wasn't happy he was becoming back in the 70s/80s. This does not bode well for that timeline.

I suspect we will see things go very south in the next couple episodes, leading us back to that year for the conclusion of the season.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Am I the only one who got a bit of a Star Wars vibe from some of the scenes? (not counting the 'These are not the droids you're looking for' line)

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA