Options

[M&M] Trinity City OOC

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Okay, just finished reading the thread up to this point.

You have a transforming somewhat felinoid shifter type in plainclothes. A smart archer who sounds almost like a superhero dryad, shifting in and out of plant forms, controlling plants, and shooting arrows into people. You have a stealthy infiltration teleporter (drat, I would love to do an infiltration character!). You have someone who is constantly manipulating ice on himself and his environment.

If I can tell you guys what I love about your team so far, all of the characters are very visually malleable. It doesn't sound like you have a big capes and tights look, but more almost-normal people constantly changing. Interesting.

So Trinity City on a rig. This is cool, because it would keep the action reasonably contained and saves you from asking, "What's in the town next door?"

Trinity. If you flew overhead it in a semi-near future, semi-realistic (reasonable wear, dirt, etc.) monochrome off white helicopter, would the city look like a giant triangle?

desc on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The shape is more akin to a fuzzy version of this:

8whS

The three-pronged section at the center is more of a giant steel citadel rising from the sections around it.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Interesting! So you have three neighborhoods outside the tech-citadel?

edit: Also, curious what it looks like.

It's not a heavy-handed dystopia, it's sort of techy but realistic and life in the city is a mixed bag? Colorful, interesting, improvised buildings outside, but clearly lower income and more ... scrounged up than the characters' world in the complex?

Also curious what fights are like in this world.

Reading the rules!

desc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I have no sense of what M & M's like in play. It's d20 but it's not class-based? We don't clearly need a tank?

How techy should things be?

A simple-looking beige robot that can stretch or change somehow to punch dudes at close range?

The characters seem to be unique outlier results for the usual Trinity employee program. Would you have regular joes who became mildly psionic / physically enhanced and had assorted company techy gear and training and used them in conjunction?

Tank vs communication? Hmm.

desc on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, mine was a regular joe till the accident. Basically I would say you can be techy as you want, maybe even a cyborg if you wanna go that route. Or the robot stretch armstrong could work as well.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Right. You build a character with a general concept, and picking powers/skills/feats/stats matching that.

Your character can have whatever powers and use whatever source you want; justifying those with background material is different. And it might also be interesting to have someone who's just plain working for Trinity, no shady relationship. Maybe a tacit liaison of sorts? You come along saying you need some fresh air, but we all know you're watching us on behalf of the corporation?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    That's kind of what I was thinking, I'm more concerned about not meshing with the feel of the rest of the team, which I really like so far.

This doesn't seem based in either DC or Marvel or etc. universe, but in those super hero-y worlds, there's Iron Man level tech. Does Trinity have current issue 2011 Iron Man tech for someone who was really just an average joe who, for reasons Trinity doesn't understand, is one of plenty of people who "click" with their tech?

I'm looking at the character gen stuff. I'm imagining something like a cross between the Power Suit type and the Psionic type. Very low level tp and tk with a modular matte gray body armor suit? Some kind of handwavey Stark-y corporate technology that uses 'magnets' + minor TK to move plates of armor around from place to place on the body to use some suite of powers?

I'd like to make a character who can "buff" the party, but I don't want the tech to be overly fanciful for the feel everyone has in mind.

Kind of imagining telepathy and 1 or 2-sense illusionism for holograms. Would it be possible to mentally read what people in the group want to know and to use Trinity technology to show them useful information? Targeting info for someone through a wall for archery or ambient room temperature or trying to help watch for surveillance so someone could teleport in undetected?

desc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    That works fine for me - and the surveillance would help for my shrunken stealth, too.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Desc I think the only big thing we have figured is no Superman like characters. So in a way we are more like Batman/Spiderman/lower straight up powered folks in the main comic universe. I don't think we are based on anything. That idea sounds really cool though and since it is a megacorp on a oil rig that dragged an alien and made me a plant nymph as you described it can probably make the stuff you are talking about.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Making coffee and opening M&M back up. I think the concept is coming together, so now I just need to figure out the mechanics of building him.

Most super hero teams tend to gravitate towards either an adopted family dynamic or a sort of hyper-powered SWAT team. In this group, at least to begin, there are a lot of layered gazes going on. That's interesting. Mazzyx originally monitoring and chasing CC led to an accident, so he's had the opportunity to see the less savory sides of Trinity that my guy might not yet really be conscious of. Thomamelas got a glimpse into some info he wasn't supposed to and has a very good sense of bad they could get. My guy could explicitly be on the tamer end of the spectrum and not really be too suspicious yet.

So everyone's sneaking out and my guy is a bit of the straight man, who doesn't think Trinity is that bad, jeez guys they have your best interests at heart, but having said that, he's still a regular dude and hearing that the people he's supposed to help monitor have figured a way to sneak outside has him thinking that he'd better go along to make sure nothing happens, and I mean, you can always just write up the report about the details later ... and it's not like you ever get real vacations around here ... what's a couple hours in slums really going to hurt anyone, we could get some of those awesome street vendor foods ... I could just switch swipe cards with my buddy in the same division on a different schedule to open one little door on our way back and the records would look normal, and Trinity can't really watch everything all the time ...

What do you think, Rivs? He could start out as the most obviously "corporate" in both appearance and intentions, but in interacting with people who have more insight into what can go really, really wrong with Trinity his attitudes would begin to change. If we're planning a general story direction of slowly turning against the company, he could serve initially as the one who's most supportive of the company, but later would have the most current information and most recent experience with their security mores, whereas Prof would understand all of their science labs, and so on.

Okay, every hero needs his special weakness. My guy is using Trinity gear, but the problem there would eventually be "how do you fight them with their own weaponry?" He's not a wild card: Trinity would have easily dozens of guys with roughly the same basic augmentation, the exact same body armor, the exact same guns, the exact same cell phone, the exact same training regimen with the exact same personnel files.

Powers/gear: if he's just sort of a "good but not even the most elite of his type" low-level psi guy with semi-techy tactical gear, should I stat out protection and shootin' as powers, or should I just stat him as an all-rounder based off the Psionic template and use an assortment of items? Items would give him the advantage of being potentially disarmed when useful to the DM. Hm.

desc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I feel like this is eventually going to lead to all of us getting arrested by Trinity cops and getting chewed out.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I feel like this is eventually going to lead to all of us getting arrested by Trinity cops and getting chewed out.

Well you guys maybe....

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    That sounds fine, desc.

As Mazzy alluded to, we can use Trinity's various programs to bring in whatever we'd like - as noted, they already do interplanetary portals and genetic engineering, it makes sense they'd have tech advancements in other ways as well. Outside their corporate praxis, though, everything is relatively standard for 2011. Which also might mean you might have to hide some things.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Just in case this is relevant somewhere along the line, my planet is not just one country, one culture, one language, one ecosystem.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Of course not, princess of Interplanetary Wakanda.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Jessica is none of those things! Although her dad is a pretty important guy. Not sure in what, though.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    Of course not, princess of Interplanetary Wakanda.

Damn it, so the X-men are losing Storm again?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Storm's queen consort, actually.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hah! You were banging a Black Panther! HAH!

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Storm's queen consort, actually.

It was at once a crack on that terrible black panther run and men playing women in RPGs.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hey, this is my first time playing a girl in a non-computer RPG.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So I guess we are waiting on Mori's and Desc character sheets now?

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Desc's, at least. Mori's busy moving this week so he might not get his done soon - and he's graciously offered to step aside for a little bit so as not to hold us back.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Okay. House rules time! Rules first, then explanation to follow.

You need to calculate some additional stats for your character - specifically, in relation to their saving throws, some powers, and attacks. In all cases these are derived stats - meaning that you cannot spend power points directly on these stats to raise them. However, they all derive simply from one or more existing character statistics that can be raised with power points. If any statistic these new statistic derives from is changed, temporarily or permanently, these stats are recalculated.

Saving throws:

You need to mark down new save defenses to go with your existing saving throws. One save defense exists for each saving throw, for a total of four. A save defense is equal to 10 + its related saving throw bonus.

Powers:

Be sure to write down the bonus to a power check for any power. For this system, some powers that did not previously require a power check may do so.

Attack bonus and Defense:

These do not change.

Damage:

For any power, attack, or ability that would involve a Toughness saving throw and have effects on the damage track, record a damage check bonus. This damage check bonus is equal to the power or ability's damage bonus + 5.

Here are the very simple ways the rules change:
    -Any power that would call for a saving throw instead has the power's user roll a power check for that power, with a DC of the related save defense.
    -When Toughness would be rolled to determine an attack or power's damage, the power or attack's user instead rolls a damage check. A damage check is 1d20+that attack or power's damage check bonus against a DC of the target's Toughness save defense. Invert all results on the Toughness Save Results and Lethal Damage tables (replacing succeeds with fails and vice-versa); the margin is how much the damage check result exceeds the target's Toughness save defense.
    -If a modifier would be involved in either of the proceeding rolls, apply the modifier as follows:
    *If it is a temporary modifier that only applies to the roll in question, invert the modifier (changing positive to negative or vice-versa) and apply it to the stat being rolled. For example, repeated uses of Mind Control in one combat on one person usually grant that person a +2 on their saving throws for each use after the first on them. Instead apply a -2 to the power check of whoever is using Mind Control for each use after the first on that person.
    *If it is a temporary modifier that lasts longer than the roll in question, mark it down as a temporary modifier to the save defense in question. For example, each application of the Bruised condition applies a -1 to the Toughness save defense of that individual until it is healed or otherwise removed.
    *Impervious is checked as normal.

Now, you may be asking why I'm doing this. The reason's pretty simple - M&M involves a lot of go-back and forth between parties deciding actions and then rolling saves or whatever against them. These rules change the system so at any given time only the active player is rolling (unless it's an opposed check or something akin.) This means that players who are up can process and complete their entire action without waiting for other players or me to roll saves, provided everyone's defenses are available (which they will be.)

Furthermore, this variant tips the scales slightly in your favour - one of the general rules conceits of d20 games is that non-randomness favours the PCs over the long-run. You are now slightly tougher and hit slightly harder on average. Additionally, you can spend Hero Points in many situations where they were previously unavailable as you might not have been rolling a d20.

Questions/comments/etc.

Oh, please calculate these as necessary and edit them into your previous character posts.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Since my attacking is all plain melee with feats, no powers, do my punches/kicks require saving throws, and would my damage bonus be my strength modifier, as I didn't spend points on augmenting my attack, just defense?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    As noted, your punches and kicks require you to roll your attack bonus and exceed the target's defense, like normal/always.

Your damage check bonus would be your Strength modifier + 5 from a cursory look at your sheet, yes.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Is my edited character sheet missing anything?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Nope, you're fine. Generally you'd need power checks on your powers but none of yours take saves, I think.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yup, because they all act on me alone.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hey peeps. Was running around all weekend and didn't have a chance to work on the character. I will try to get something drawn up tonight.

desc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dazzle causes a status effect but saves against reflex. Does it to get the bonus?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    How'd it go, desc?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I think the only ones mine affects are the saving throws. And those are roots so all reflex verse dc. And of course the attack.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yep so your roots become power check against their reflex save defense.

And the attack just gains a damage check bonus. Whee simple!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    How'd it go, desc?

I think I have it, but I went back and started re-doing it to see how he would be if he were more psi-oriented. I assume all characters want a decent amount of combat focus? I've been neck-deep in BASH! UE rules for a while, making oddball characters with a totally different set of mechanics than M & M.

desc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Correct.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oof, sorry. Been working on this for a while tonight and wanted to get this posted, but I'm still trying to get it all figured out. Mostly just fussing with the powers: telepathy with a little extra range (1000 feet maybe?), a baby mind shield, danger sense, post cognition - tracking, and that might be it.

Most of the points by far are in Feats and Skills, since he's more of trained dude then super-powered.

Rivs, was thinking: I presume there are a lot of security concerns for Trinity, given the quantity of non-employees crowding around them on all sides. Since we have a sniper/control type person already, was re-directing this character to be more of a tracker. Skills for bluff/search/intimidate/investigate etc., Feats for some shooting but quite a bit of grappling/disarm stuff (I assume Trinity generally would want any expensive escapees in as few pieces as possible), and maybe some Contacts in the company.

Weaponry and armor are ho-hum tactical armor (4) and the SMG + laser sight + suppressor + ranged sight, although I think I ought to add tear gas or something. I doubt even the most PR-blind company would tell their security to start firing automatic weapons as the first resort in a crowded space outside, let alone inside their own complex. It seems logical that there would be a lot of "I've tracked his thoughts into this room" leading into either "disarm him, knock him down, cuff him" or "everyone throw flashbangs on my signal before he can use those weird powers."

If this is way off-base as a direction lemme know, otherwise will get the numbers finessed and everything typed up after work tomorrow when I'm hopefully over this cold.

edit: I meant to ask earlier, re: sneaking out of the complex. We are presumably going incognito and not laden down with our Corporate Gear, right?

desc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yup, pretty much. You can probably bring a few inconspicuous things, though.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sounds good, desc.

We've been going with a lot of player involvement on this, so while I have my own ideas I'm also really eager to let you folks spread your wings as you see fit.

And yes, having non-lethal options sounds great. Note that it's just a thematic choice - in M&M, there's no penalty for hitting to subdue instead, although it's a bit silly to think of knocking a guy out with AK-47 fire.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Okay, stuff!

Some of this has already been discussed and is just being codified, but I'm repeating it for sense's sake:

-Two more variant rules we're using:
    >All characters gain Ultimate Effort for free as a bonus feat. However, each of you must take it for a different action, skill, or power. This gives everyone their own significant niche or role, and helps to distinguish you as true heroes a little. Additionally, Ultimate Effort may be used once per story/adventure for free without spending a Hero Point.
    >Everyone should list a calling for their character - the reason, purpose, or motivation that drives them specifically to heroism. This can be a concept (patriotism or responsibility) or a specific event or background (Thom's character's problems with Trinity, for example). Callings act like complications - if they cause problems for you, you gain a hero point. Additionally, if you stick to a calling under duress or roleplay it well, you can earn hero points for that.
    -I'm going to be very generous in terms of handing out hero points and may even hand out free uses of extra effort (without fatigue) in return for exciting stunts, good roleplaying, and well-done description. This has the effect of making individual actions matter more - we're looking at you doing cool stuff more instead of just going through the motions.
    -In case it necessitates repeating, we don't have any mutants/metahumans as is. We have a semi-pair of caped crusaders in Thom and desc, an alien in Carrot's case, and an accident in Mazzy's case. Outside of Trinity's technology, methods, and other corporate secrets, the world is largely the same as today.
    -A single story for our purposes begins with the nightly escape from Trinity, then gallivanting around the city. It ends with the return to the Citadel. As things develop, we'll alter this structure as necessary.
    -Considering our current makeup, I'm going to go with the setup we originally described - Carrot escaping due to curiosity (perhaps with Mazzy in tow as another subject), desc following the corporate "property," and Thom seeing what's making all the noise during his own peregrinations.
    We can either play this with all of you folks not knowing each other prior to the beginning of play (and being thrown together by the inciting event) or if you know each other, with an inciting event to amp things up. Thoughts?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg