Options

[M&M] Trinity City OOC

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ultimate Effort: Acrobatics. Jessica's willing to put her all into playing around, jumping and twirling, because she's been putting her all into academia for a while and it's getting old.
    Calling: thrills. After several years of graduate school, postgraduate work, and then months of being studied by Trinity and assisting in their labs, Jessica is itching for some fun, and she may exercise some poor judgment in looking for and enjoying it.

Maybe Mazzyx and I are vaguely acquainted as inhabitants of similar Trinity programs, and desc knows who we are but not personally?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Reading. Interesting! Yeah, mutants are for angsty teenager characters. We are all badasses.

Okay, now that I am less laid out by germs, I can finish my dude. I felt like I had a lot of unspent points, so I am looking into making him some different contacts and such in the company, who could go vaguely-defined until such point as they're handy to the story?

I think I'll buy him the full-on corporate gear and just a basic "undercover vest" and "light pistol" from the equipment list, which are fairly cheap. This should give him a little cushion when fighting metahuman types, but still be plausible for a dude to strut around without being noticed.

The starting premise sounds good -- I would imagine a telepath would be pretty fascinated by a real deal extraterrestrial.

desc on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also desc I realized I missed a few of your questions back when. Did you want me to take another crack at answering them?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    And sure, contacts are fine. The definition of corporate gear I'll leave up to you right now, whether it's Equipment or Devices.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So far this is all vanilla Equipment straight off the list, nothing weird or beyond 2011 tech.

I think I know what to do with my dude and the "buying up Feats" will work, since that seems to be the approach with the caped crusader example in the book.

desc on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ultimate Effort: Intimidate
    Calling: Justice

The Shadow is going to take down the corrupt elements of Trinity. If that causes the whole thing to collapse, then so be it.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Mori's dropped out period - he's just too busy with his move. I'm torn on picking up a fifth, though - thoughts?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I think four works fine.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Okay, lets see.

Ultimate Effort:Gather Info-Using her pheromones to get people to talk on top of listening to the plants in the area she has the ability to learn things quickly.

Calling:Finding herself. After the accident she doesn't know what to do with herself since what she was expecting to do isn't an option(mid level pr/upper level management).

Also 4 is fine, think we have more than enough to make ourselves fantastic. ;)

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Haha. Four it is!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thom, two questions for you about the Shadow:

a) You've got a Damage power listed. How does it take effect/work - a punch, a kick, energy blasts?

b) I'm guessing Frank got his powers through science/stolen technology from Trinity?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    Thom, two questions for you about the Shadow:

a) You've got a Damage power listed. How does it take effect/work - a punch, a kick, energy blasts?

b) I'm guessing Frank got his powers through science/stolen technology from Trinity?

I'm still working on a good name for it, but effectively they are "Darkness knives". Melee attacks based on darkness. And he was exposed to an experiment that went wrong.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    More experiments whee!

Okay thanks.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    In case it wasn't apparent, I'm double-checking people's sheets and assembling my own cheat sheet.

It occurs to me looking through the back of M&M that this is technically an Iron Age game except likely without as much killing, lol.

Mazzy, you took equipment but don't have listed what you turned those points into. Also I can't understand the conditions for your photosynthesis.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    In case it wasn't apparent, I'm double-checking people's sheets and assembling my own cheat sheet.

It occurs to me looking through the back of M&M that this is technically an Iron Age game except likely without as much killing, lol.

Mazzy, you took equipment but don't have listed what you turned those points into. Also I can't understand the conditions for your photosynthesis.

Oh the equipment is listed. Thats the bow and the undercover vest. Which gives her more toughness and her ranged combat.

For her regen I am like a plant. I need to take off my shoes so I can grow roots temporarily and let as much of my body a possible be in the sun so I can process it into energy.

Basically my body is the leaf and my feat are the roots of my plant body. For them to work like a plant I have to be in sunlight and roots in the ground to draw nutrients. Also this feels great to me. So it is pretty addicting, think Zhan from Farscape.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    oh that was shoes

okay

thought it was like photosynthesis, but wasn't sure.

thanks!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    hai dudes

Have been working on guy on and off this afternoon. I wasn't reading the rules carefully enough before, so I've been trying to adjust everything to work with power level caps.

Is it possible for me to take ranks of telepathy + rank of communication and take super-senses + radius to sense minds as a sort of "talk to and listen to the brains around you?" The idea being that in combat he'd have a simple 360 degree mental sonar, to pick up people close by.

Weighing different powers like Confuse and Stun. Stun + sleep could be a nice non-lethal option to deal with people when possible.

desc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Telepathy includes Communication. According to Mind Reading (which is the other half of Telepathy), you need to make an opposed roll to actually read someone's mind. You could take Radius Super-Senses to extend the possible targeting range for Telepathy all around you, yes.

It's reasonable to let you feel minds in the sensory range you use with Telepathy, that's fine, but to actually listen you'd have to roll as noted above. For sonar, you'd need to take something like blindsight or x-ray vision (both Super-Senses) to push your regular senses beyond the limits, and then Telepathy's mind-feeling could ride on that. If you just took Radius, Telepathy/vision would still be blocked by walls, for example.

Note that facing and attacks of opportunity don't really exist in M&M.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Woo reading some of the stuff in GV has me really amped for this.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011

What in particular?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »

What in particular?

Oh I just ended up looking at the first page of the awesome thread, mainly Cap smashing face.

Hmm, you guys should come up with a squad or team name. :P

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »

What in particular?

Oh I just ended up looking at the first page of the awesome thread, mainly Cap smashing face.

Hmm, you guys should come up with a squad or team name. :P

Cap is generally very awesome.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Cap is awesome. But man, no idea what team name we should be.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well we can go without one, it's just that Trinity City: the miniseries seems rather impersonal.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The Magnificent Seven.

Honestly, I don't think we need a team name unless and until our characters think of the group as a team. It'd be funny if we got stuck with a name bestowed by someone else. :P

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Can I play?

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Can we fit him in, Rivs, or is it too late?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Okay, finally sitting down for the final once over on my dude right now, I promise.

edit: by "once over" I obviously meant redoing his powers again.

edit 2: okay, I think I have it figured out. I realized it would be better for me to take Feats like Set Up, Leadership, Teamwork, and Redirect to model the telepathy in combat. I want a character who can help and buff everyone else in the party, so this in conjunction with the actual telepathy power would work mechanically, and now I don't have redundant feats / bonuses.

Sorry for taking forever! Wasn't familiar with the M&M rules before.

desc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    lollerizer, desc

@kakos: sorry, but we're best sticking with what we have right now. If someone drops out I'll give you a shout, though.

in related news, I had a really good, fertile conversation with jacob of the kosh earlier about stuff and now I'm feeling a lot more confident about things.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Do we need anything more before we start?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Nope! people who are not desc are fine.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think this all adds up.

I need to double-check the saving throws and such really quick. Someone tell me if this is wrong. Someone also suggest a good name to me:

10/150

Stats (37)

STR: 14
    DEX: 20
    CON: 14
    INT: 14
    WIS: 20
    CHA: 15

Combat (20)

Attack: +5 (5)
    Damage: Unarmed +2, Ranged +3 pistol, +4 SMG
    Defense: +5 (5)
    Initiative: +9 (incl. feat)

Saving Throws (2)

Toughness +4 (1, +1 Defensive Roll)
    Fortitude +3 (1)
    Reflex +5
    Will +5

Skills (24)

Acrobatics 12 (3)
    Bluff 8 (2)
    Climb 8 (2)
    Computers 8 (2)
    Concentration 6 (1.5)
    Disable Device 4 (1)
    Intimidate 4 (1)
    Investigate 10 (2.5)
    Notice 10 (2.5)
    Search 10 (2.5)
    Sense Motive 8 (2)
    Stealth 8 (2)
    Swim 2 (.5)
    Drive 2 (.5)
    Medicine 8 (2)

Feats (31)

Combat telepathy: Set Up, Teamwork, Redirect (3)

Martial Arts: Blind fight, Defensive Roll, Grappling Finesse, Improved Critical (firearms), Move-by Action, Acrobatic Bluff, Evasion, Stunning Attack, Improved Defense (9)

Telepathic awareness: Elusive Target, Improved Initiative, Uncanny Dodge (Super Sense - Mental) (3)

Firearms: Precise Shot, Quick Draw (2)

Psi-Related: Assessment, Well-informed, Hide in Plain Sight, Fascinate (4)

Employee: Benefit: General Security Clearance, Contacts: Info Pool Dept. (2)

Equipment (8)

15 - SMG (12) + scope (1) + sight (1) + suppressor (1)
    4 - Smoke Grenade
    4 - Trinity Body Armor / Vest
    2 - Trinity Headgear - gas mask (1) + night vision (1)
    5 - Flashlight, handcuffs, cool gadgety phone, multitool (1 each)
    7 - Light Pistol (6) + suppressor (1)
    (37 / 40 eq points)

Powers (36)

Telepathy 10 (21), with Communication 1 for language independence

Super-senses - Mental 10 (14), with Radius 1, Blindsight 1, Accurate 2

Stun 2 (4), with the Sleep modifier (0)

37 + 20 + 2 + 24 + 31 + 36 = 150

Also need to figure out the freebie ultimate effort. Hrm.

desc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    A few things:

a) I'm not sure what you're trying to do with Super-Senses, but Mental's not a type of sense listed there, neither do you need to take an arbitrary number of ranks in it. See the description.
    b) Considering that you have no attack powers, I would take your attack bonus to the cap. I would do this by sorting out Super-Senses and cutting your Telepathy in half - mind reading's nice, but you fight more. I don't want you to lose interest because you're missing so much.

Additionally, your noted PP spent on attacks and defense is wrong; the subtotal's correct, but you have 5 written down for each line item, not 10.

edit: also don't forget your calling!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    A few things:

a) I'm not sure what you're trying to do with Super-Senses, but Mental's not a type of sense listed there, neither do you need to take an arbitrary number of ranks in it. See the description.
    b) Considering that you have no attack powers, I would take your attack bonus to the cap. I would do this by sorting out Super-Senses and cutting your Telepathy in half - mind reading's nice, but you fight more. I don't want you to lose interest because you're missing so much.

Additionally, your noted PP spent on attacks and defense is wrong; the subtotal's correct, but you have 5 written down for each line item, not 10.

edit: also don't forget your calling!

Was trying to set up the 360 degree sensing minds thing with super senses, not sure of the best way to stat it up then.

I will edit the dude.

Am I misunderstanding the power cap? If he shoots at someone with +5 attack and +5 dex bonus, isn't he already capped out for the max bonus?

desc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Samuel FitzWick. James Haddock. Ned Jackson.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Dex and Str bonuses are not added to attack bonus to determine total attack bonuses in M&M, unlike other d20 games.

Apparently my suggestion to you for the senses thing got lost in a [chat] so here:

Super-Senses (Blindsight [Mind Reading], Radius Blindsight, Mental Awareness, Danger Sense, Tracking Blindsight) for 8 points.

Blindsight is innately accurate.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Rivs -- thanks for info. Will post a corrected dude this evening.

desc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The faster you do it the faster I can post an OP...

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    One more thing for folks:

8L5c

Double-check that I have the right values written down here, as those are what I'll be rolling for initiative and rolling to hit against whenever we get into combat. Desc, of course yours still might change a bit.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Mine's right.

Thomamelas on