As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NT's Paint Bucket

no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Artist's Corner
Hello AC!

It's been what.. a year since I've had a thread for art so I guess it's good that I've finally got around making a new one.

Okay so this is what I'm working on right now. I got this sheet that probably used to be a door for closet or something from my gf's backyard. On Friday I started sketching on it using a couple of reference pictures.

Here's what it looked like on Saturday.

j5.jpg

And this is where I'm at right now. Actually a little further but anyways.

j6.jpg

no_toast on

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's looking pretty good so far. I think you should really try not to "chicken scratch". Make your lines more confidently.

F87 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, you're probably right. It will probably take some time before I'll get comfortable with working such a big area. It will be interesting to see how well paint will stick to the door surface.

no_toast on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    What kind of paint do you plain on using? Cause it might make a smudgy mess out of that pencil if that surface is smooth.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thanks Iruka, I might try putting a clear coat on before I start painting so the pencils won't smudge. I've got both acrylics and oils that I can use so if you know which will work better on a smooth painted surface please tell!

no_toast on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    She looks very cold and tense, or maybe just nervous about being naked. I don't know if that's what you're going for.

tynic on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    I havent worked much with oils, so I couldnt say, but with acrylics I would certainly try a little clear coat. If the back is the same surface you can also do a little test.

Iruka on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When I work over pencil like that I use a spray fixative. When applying it start spraying away from the board and make long sweeping motions across it like mowing the lawn. Stop past the board and never on it. After a couple coats it should be good to use acrylics, oils, or whatever. If using oils, I would do a couple washes with acrylic first to get the midtones. Odds are oils will end up covering your lines too much.

Oils can go ontop of acrylic but not vice versa.

Though to be fair, I don't know much about doorrrrrrssssss. Whenever I try a clear medium or clear gesso over pencisl I always ruin the line work.

It's looking pretty good so far besides that.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    what is the door made of? i started an acrylic painting on material which was textured plastic and after a few hours of drying, my painting peeled off the surface of the board. Do a test on the sides to see how paint will go on the thing

winter_combat_knight on