As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] This is a civilian thread. You're lucky we're wearing pants.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    Robots are supposed to be smart and calculating and inhumanly efficient in their decisions.

They thought working with the reapers was a good idea.

Complex systems, etc.

Damn you, Legion, and your nearly unwavering respect for the opinions of others!

Synthesis on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Except fictional hatred isn't exactly like xenophobia either. That, or I'm not feeling "hate" so much as "disgust" for either them or the Batarians, because I have no remorse killing either group. After all, the Batarians are your standard evil alien slavers....except they occasionally entertain, I suppose.
    Disgust is usually associated with hate, and Webster lists abhorrent and abominable as synonyms of disgust.

I think my main problem was that the whole religious fanaticism was stupidity on their part and the zombies were already dead before the whole transformation.

Couscous on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I want a geth desk lamp.

LEGION! Get in here, I need your help with something.

Orca on
    edited February 2011
    Practical stupidity is a pretty shitty quality in a machine race with near limitless cognitive capabilities.
    Orca wrote: »
    I want a geth desk lamp.

That's the secret third option when you pull him off the Reaper corpse. Extra credits, new team mate, or kickass lamp. I mean, that's clearly what he was designed for...dancing lamp.

Synthesis on
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maybe synthetic communication is different but Sovereign did not come off as the kind of guy I would trust to house the collective consciousness of my entire people, especially when he's not shy about telling strangers that he doesn't care about geth in a base with tons of geth to overhear.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    edited February 2011
    The four eyes on batarians still look really goddamn stupid.
    Stupidity is a good reason to despise a machine race with near limitless cognitive capabilities.
    I prefer despising the writers.
    Maybe synthetic communication is different but Sovereign did not come off as the kind of guy I would trust to house the collective consciousness of my entire people, especially when he's not shy about telling strangers that he doesn't care about geth in a base with tons of geth to overhear.
    See above comment about writers.

I preferred it when the goals of the Reapers were still mysterious rather than being really goddamn stupid.

Couscous on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Practical stupidity is a pretty shitty quality in a machine race with near limitless cognitive capabilities.

Their programming would have to be immensely complex in order for sentience to arise from them. And with all complex systems comes...
    rs76zr.jpg

...CHAOS.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited February 2011

Their programming would have to be immensely complex in order of sentience to arise from them. And with all complex systems comes...
    rs76zr.jpg

...CHAOS.

All Geth, including Legion, now speak with Jeff Goldblum's voice. Enjoy!

As much as I hate agreeing with Tal, yes, the Geth do seem to be the worse judges of character in the universe. Though that does explain Legion's willingness to leave the fate of a portion of his entire species, life or death, to Commander "Who the fuck are you and why should I give a fuck?" Shepard. After they'd spoken for all of 20 minutes.

Then again, some Geth fall in love with superhuman naval commanders. Other Geth fall in love with egotistical, callous, genocidal supermachines.

Geth love, eh?

Synthesis on
    edited February 2011
    The geth actually have a pretty good reason for worshiping Sovereign! But pure religious fanaticism motivating them seems so... organic. The geth barely trust any organics 300 years later because their first experience with us was genocide, now they trust the group that is literally named after their constant genocide. There may be a virus at work here, but why did it only affect 5% of the population when the heretic-developed one would affect everyone?

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    edited February 2011
    As much as I hate agreeing with Tal, yes, the Geth do seem to be the worse judges of character in the universe. Though that does explain Legion's happiness to leave the fate of a portion of his entire species, life or death, to Commander "Who the fuck are you and why should I give a fuck?" Shepard. After they'd spoken for all of 20 minutes.
    They had actually determined that Shepard was the main character and most important person in the universe so decided to give the choice to him for that reason. The crap about choosing own development was just a lie and the real disagreement between the geth was whether Sovereign or Shepard was the main character. The geth thought telling Shepard the truth would make him think they were just nuts.

Couscous on
    edited February 2011
    Well, the response from the detractors was, "Well, okay, go on your genocidal murdering spree with your new friends, just don't track dust back in. We're going to go back to sticking our heads in the sand."

They're more organic-like than they'd care to admit.

Synthesis on
    edited February 2011
    Well, the response from the detractors was, "Well, okay, go on your genocidal murdering spree with your new friends, just don't track dust back in. We're going to go back to sticking our heads in the sand."

They're more organic-like than they'd care to admit.

I guess they also thought that nobody would decide to go after all geth after the heretics made all geth associated with huge attacks on citadel space.

Couscous on
    edited February 2011
    If Legion is being affected by organics and becoming more individual, does indoctrination come from exposure to the super-gestalt reapers, and organic brains just can't deal with that shit? The reapers leave behind indoctrinated organics because their brains are too fried to be useful, maybe Legion can no longer re-integrate with the geth after being with Shepard for too long?

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Shepard and Garrus in the Normandy/
    K-I-L-L-I-N-G/
    The Eclipse get shot/
    the Blood Pack ravaged/
    the Blue Suns are last in a neat little package.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited February 2011
    If Legion is being affected by organics and becoming more individual, does indoctrination come from exposure to the super-gestalt reapers, and organic brains just can't deal with that shit? The reapers leave behind indoctrinated organics because their brains are too fried to be useful, maybe Legion can no longer re-integrate with the geth after being with Shepard for too long?

And then Legion is the vault dweller from Fallout.

Couscous on
    edited February 2011
    Couscous wrote: »

Well, his crush on Shepard comes with consequences.

Synthesis on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Well, his crush on Shepard comes with consequences.

They always do.

Bloodthirsty bitch.

And I agree with the majority. It isn't personal with the Geth. It's like how Mordin felt about the collectors, really. Sure, bad, have to be stopped.

But there isn't the one on one hatred you get for Cerberus, Saren, or Batarians. I mean, they killed Jenkins, but c'mon.

He had five minutes tops anyway.

chiasaur11 on
    edited February 2011
    But apparently, when you break it down logically, their sheer stupidity puts them in a league of their own. Hell, mind-blowing incompetence has already been established as one of the reasons people hate, and mock, Cerberus. The renegade Geth, i.e. "The Saren and Sovvy Fanclub <3" don't get a pass either.

Them shooting Shepard makes it personal. But that's unique. Their sheer in-your-face fanatical idiocy? That's unique. No one cares about Jenkins, anyway.

Synthesis on
    edited February 2011
    But apparently, when you break it down logically, their sheer stupidity puts them in a league of their own. Hell, mind-blowing incompetence has already been established as one of the reasons people hate, and mock, Cerberus.
    Mind blowing stupidity in my enemies is hilarious. Mind blowing stupidity in the people who are supposed to be on my side makes me want to kill them.

Couscous on
    edited February 2011
    But apparently, when you break it down logically, their sheer stupidity puts them in a league of their own. Hell, mind-blowing incompetence has already been established as one of the reasons people hate, and mock, Cerberus.
    Mind blowing stupidity in my enemies is hilarious. Mind blowing stupidity in the people who are supposed to be on my side makes me want to kill them.

That kind of funny is much less "Stick a torch in someone's back while they're not looking or pushing them out of a window" funny and more "pathetic" funny. Which, naturally, comes with equal amounts of scorn.

I think that's a source of some of Legion's popularity. He's not a pathetic, delusional murdering fanatic deserving hatred, scorn and censure. And he can dance too.

Fake Edit: We appear to be coming to an end with this thread. Who will take up the banner?

Synthesis on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just finished the achievements out for the game with Overlord. That was one of the most unsettling scenes in a video game I've ever played. Thoroughly creaper, I actually liked it more than Shadow Broker, but that was also pretty awesome.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    As much as I hate agreeing with Tal, yes, the Geth do seem to be the worse judges of character in the universe. Though that does explain Legion's happiness to leave the fate of a portion of his entire species, life or death, to Commander "Who the fuck are you and why should I give a fuck?" Shepard. After they'd spoken for all of 20 minutes.
    They had actually determined that Shepard was the main character and most important person in the universe so decided to give the choice to him for that reason. The crap about choosing own development was just a lie and the real disagreement between the geth was whether Sovereign or Shepard was the main character. The geth thought telling Shepard the truth would make him think they were just nuts.

I never thought about this before, but now that I do I think it just comes down to Legion's obsession with Shepard.

Nerdgasmic on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I actually prefer killing Geth to Batarians.

Anyone get this really great feeling of nostalgia in Haestrom?

From the moment I heard that familiar click...I was all..."Yeah, these guys I know. Don't have to wonder what to do here."

DarkCrawler on
    edited February 2011

From the moment I heard that familiar click...I was all..."Yeah, these guys I know. Don't have to wonder what to do here."

There's zero competition. Batarians are...what? A bunch of riffraff who serve as on-foot infantry, with the occasional anti-vehicle weapon?

Geth are an organized army with line infantry, assault troops, airborne drones, heavy vehicle support, the whole she-bang. For all their stupidity, don't even try and put them in the same league as a bunch of on-foot commandos and thugs. It'd be like comparing the Geth to Salarians.

With the Geth, you're fighting a whole army, not just a bunch of guys with guns. It's a different experience entirely.

Synthesis on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

There's zero competition. Batarians are...what? A bunch of riffraff who serve as on-foot infantry, with the occasional anti-vehicle weapon?

Geth are an organized army with line infantry, assault troops, airborne drones, heavy vehicle support, the whole she-bang. For all their stupidity, don't even try and put them in the same league as a bunch of on-foot commandos and thugs. It'd be like comparing the Geth to Salarians.

With the Geth, you're fighting a whole army, not just a bunch of guys with guns. It's a different experience entirely.

but .. but .. the batarians have that leviathan class ship D:
    we're all doomed!

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, it felt like Shepard downgraded from ME1 to ME2 judging by how difficult a time she had going from fighting an army to fighting mercenaries.

But then again, she did die.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    eeSanG wrote: »
    Yeah, it felt like Shepard downgraded from ME1 to ME2 judging by how difficult a time she had going from fighting an army to fighting mercenaries.

Huh.

I felt, well, not the opposite, but noticed something from the other angle.

In ME1, until late game, you eat a rocket, you hear the game over music. ME2? It's a sign to charge.

At any rate you kill Mercs in ME1 a lot, and they can be a massive pain in the ass. Especially the Krogan.

chiasaur11 on
    edited February 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    eeSanG wrote: »

Huh.

I felt, well, not the opposite, but noticed something from the other angle.

In ME1, until late game, you eat a rocket, you hear the game over music. ME2? It's a sign to charge.

At any rate you kill Mercs in ME1 a lot, and they can be a massive pain in the ass. Especially the Krogan.

In ME1, a flying, rocket-armed drone with about as much computer intelligence as a car radio can kick your ass. Easily.

In ME2? Not so much.

Synthesis on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The battles are much more interesting in ME2. A rocket in ME1 early on meant death. A sniper shot early on meant death.

In ME2, the rockets are providing a base of fire for the mooks moving up and flanking you, which makes for better gameplay than doing the ME shuffle.

Orca on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Well, to be fair, Shepard has never fought the official Batarian army, just pirates and mercs.

DarkCrawler on
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Orca wrote: »
    I want a geth desk lamp.

That's the secret third option when you pull him off the Reaper corpse. Extra credits, new team mate, or kickass lamp. I mean, that's clearly what he was designed for...dancing lamp.

I said lamp dance Legion, LAMP dance! Who do you think you are, kelly?

Pellaeon on
  • mister tuxedomister tuxedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Well, to be fair, Shepard has never fought the official Batarian army, just pirates and mercs.

I can't believe we're comparing the villainous, slaving, cheating, murderous, and dastardly organic Batarians with the pure, noble, and wholly logical synthetic Geth.. I don't understand this at all.
    Dead Batarians? :D
    Dead Geth? :l
    Dead Legion? :'(

mister tuxedo on
    Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment/ PO Box 20068/ 104 60 Stockholm/ Sweden
    Send them a Pair of Running Shoes. Used or Otherwise. Or a letter, but let's not be formulaic. Send them a picture of trainers, too. Or a painting. Or money. Whatever.
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, popped ME1 back in. That combat is so... janky. I'm still going to try to clear the achievements, but we'll see.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you're going for squad ally achievements, the DLC packs help a lot.

DarkPrimus on
  • VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't want the burden of being asked to edit a new threat main most, but I vote for:
    "Katsumi, you complete me." For the thread title in light of V-Day coming up.

Vicktor on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
    edited February 2011
    Katsumi?

Is there a fanfic I missed here?

chiasaur11 on
    edited February 2011
    There's always a fanfic you missed somewhere.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There's always a fanfic you missed somewhere.

I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob.

/Office Space

Dracomicron on
  • NineNine Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wow!

Clint Mansell scoring Mass Effect 3.

I hope he keeps some sort of thematic continuity with the previous scores but this is awesome news.

Nine on
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nine wrote: »
    Wow!

Clint Mansell scoring Mass Effect 3.

I hope he keeps some sort of thematic continuity with the previous scores but this is awesome news.

Before I resort to wikipedia, is there a good reason I should know who Clint Mansell is? That article seemed to indicate he's a part of the Kronos Quartet, but maybe I read too quickly.

metaghost on