As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CtL IC] "Banana Skins is a bad name for a strip club"

• Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Daphne watches all of them, taking tea when offered. Upon taking the cup her hands go from shaking like a leaf to utter stillness. The cup doesn't even clink when she lifts it. She takes a drink and lets out a deep breath she wasn't aware she was holding.

"I was gone for three years. Felt like longer though... ", she turns to the giant, looking up at him. "A roof over our heads in exchange for nothing is a great gift. My old home used to be about this big. Before we were evicted." She slowly looks over at Eyeless Meg and Silk. "Are there any strings attached to this.... do we owe you something?...".

She begins to look fearful again, the reminder of what a favor could mean in faerie comes screaming back to her.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The tea tastes like a rather unique blend of Earl Gray tea and pure, unfiltered sunshine. It's unique, dancing on your tongue and warming you up like nothing you've ever quite tasted before. It's very, very good.

"Me, you owe me nothing." Silk smirks, continuing to lounge atop the fridge. "You gave me trust, and I gave you a safe trip to the house. Meg gave you tea, and you give her your thanks. That's how this stuff normally works. We can't catch you in a bargain without words, although the Gentry and the Wyrd can."

Eyeless Meg nods as she sips a cup of the tea along with everyone else, aside from Silk, who seems to be quite content without a cup. "Aye, the terms of any bargain involving this house will come from old Jeremiah. He's a cold, cold bastard, but he'll be nothing but fair to a new Changeling. Just don't trust any bargain from him after the first."

Rainfall on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    "Well thank you. But who's this Jeremiah?" Marissa lets the tea dance down her throat, enjoying its reassuring warmth.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jared sips his tea, not something he's ever been very fond of, and finds it surprisingly good. "Thanks, this is really good." He settles down into a seat on the floor. "Wait, is this the same Jerimiah that's head of the Winter Court? We're supposed to meet this unstable head honcho guy after staying in what's basically the house of a rival?"

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    "And do we meet him before or after we're presented to Grandfather Thunder? You said that would be in a day or two... what do we do until then?"

(EDIT: That was supposed to come after Marissa's comment, but skarsol jumped in while I was checking something else. I guess it still works...)

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Daphne nods and takes another sip of the delicious tea. The taste warms her body and soul. "I am certainly thankful for his hospitality, even if it is sort of a distant one."

She takes this time to walk around the small apartment with her teacup. Inquisitively she begins peeking to closets, rooms, and cupboards as she gets the lay of the land.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "Nah, this house is Winter. They keep most of the hidey-holes in the city under their thumb. Thunder just gets pissy if he doesn't meet the newcomers, so we need to get you introduced at court soon, especially since Meg freaked out in front of everyone when she saw you coming out." Silk yawned, sliding off the fridge and heading for the door.
    "Don't stray too far from the house, the Gentry always get more aggressive when some of us slip their grasp, and we can't always hold them back, even here. You coming, Meg?"

Eyeless Meg nodded and rose, drinking back the last of her tea. "You dears might want to look around and find some work. A name and a willingness to take less-than minimum wage is usually all you need around these parts of town, but as Silk said, don't stray too far. We'll be back soon!"

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "Err, if we're trying to get jobs and such how will we know when you'll be back for us?" Jared looks a little lost and desperate. He never had to fend for himself in the "real world" before.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Daphne listens with half an ear as she continues her sweep into the kitchen, opening empty drawers and testing the faucets. Minimum wage jobs? Under the table work? Terrible living conditions? Been there, done that. But this time, everything she works for is for herself. Freedom through being lost, what a concept.

"Thank you both, you know, for everything."

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "Don't go! You're the only people we have!"

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "Unfortunately, the 'people' we have isn't our collective problem right now. It's everything else -- or lack thereof. This place is four walls, a fridge, and that's about it; I checked the other room, and I hope none of you were expecting to, y'know, shower or anything. Unless Daphne found pots and stuff in the kitchen it might be a chore just to cook food, assuming we even have any food in the first place, or else that's just one more item to add to our 'need cash for' list."

Nick casts a wary eye at the oddly-placed fridge that recently served as Silk's perch but doesn't actually open it just yet.

"Which brings us neatly, if inconveniently, back to the matter of getting work. We have, between us, some rags and these pendants; for the kind of work we'd be likely to have to do right now, that seems woefully insufficient. We might as well have been thrown overboard into a sea full of sharks. Not that I want to go back by any means, but come on."

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Silk shrugs. "We'll wait around for you if you're not here when we get back. Sorry about the no-clothes thing, this place isn't kept well-stocked. There's some munchies in the fridge, though. It should keep you up and running. Maybe steal something?"

Eyeless Meg has already scuttled down the hallway, muttering something about wolves. Silk shrugs, and turns to follow her. "Keep tight, folks! I'll try to scrape together some clothes for all of you by the time I get back!"

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Daphne continues her exploration of the house, running her fingers over the walls. She makes a small face at the dust she finds in the corners and on the window sills.

"Well, it is going to be a rough start, but at least we have our feet to get back on."

She is already making plans in her head as where to get clothes, food, maybe a job, and other items. In her walkabout she finally opens the fridge to poke around inside.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "Well this isn't quite what I was expecting when I dreamt about escaping..." Jared looks around the room, still seated on the floor. "Not that being out of that place isn't awesome, but coming back to basically nothing is, well, pretty shitty. Endure all that crap, basically be a slave, finally manage to get out of there, and now we're stuck with nothing..." He sits a thinks for a little bit. "Well, hanging out here is too much like what I've done for the past forever, waiting for the next order. I don't hear sirens anymore; I'm going to go outside and look around..." Jared stands up and, if there are no interruptions, heads out into the hall and checks out the interior of the building.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Outside the relatively sweet-smelling apartment, the hallway reeks like stale urine and vomit. There's three doors along each side of the hall, with a staircase and window at the far end, Jared remembering from earlier that you're on the third story, with one more story above you. The electric lights are either not working, or not turned on. Hard to tell, this time of day.

The sound of music playing somewhere in the building echoes faintly, the bass thumping in his ears, but there doesn't appear to be anyone else in the hallway.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "I'm with Jared. There's literally nothing we can do here, except maybe sleep. Might as well check out the neighborhood if we're going to be here a while. You coming, girls?"

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "Sure, I can't think of anything to do. Never had a job before..."

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "Yeah, well, in that case hopefully your first one won't be on the pole. Although it may be one of the few things you're qualified to do."

Nick's thoughts flashed to the two young girls he desperately wished he could name. A paternal shudder seized him momentarily, more reflex than anything.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Daphne, not wanting to be alone, heads out with the group. She shakes her head a bit, "There are plenty of jobs you can get without ID or experience. You just have to be willing to do the jobs that no one else wants to do. There is always something to be cleaned, fixed, or cooked.... always."

A part of her glances over at Marissa. She could hardly imagine her on her hands and knees cleaning floors. Though that same part would certainly like to see it. Pretty thing like her has never worked a day in her life and most likely never would.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    After a touch more discussion and rearranging of tattered clothes to avoid arrest for public indecency, the group heads outside, hoping to find somewhere nearby that they can find work, or food, or something. Waiting for Silk and Meg to return just feels too much like waiting for an order from their Keeper.

The sun is beating down bright on the street, although a faint rumble of thunder indicates that there's a storm off in the distance. A few people walk along the sidewalk, dressed in light clothing, none of them wearing the highest of fashion. It seems like your new home is in a bit of a slum.

A few more tenements line the street, at one end appears to be a brick grocery store, with a few stalls of fruit set up out front, at the opposite end stands a club, a large white stucco affair with what you assume is a crass neon sign that you can't quite make out from this angle.

Nick:
    You see a strange vine curled around one of the fruit stands at the grocery store, fat fruit hanging plump off the green vine as it twists and coils in a friendly fashion. Then you blink, and it's gone.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Marissa's eyes are fixated on the grocery stand. "Food! Real food!" She runs off towards the store, her heels skipping on the ground.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Nick moves to intercept Marissa before she does anything stupid... like taking something without being able to pay for it. As he approaches the establishment, his mind races, desperately trying to come up with a believable story to explain their current condition.

Of course, that would probably be easier if he had any knowledge of recent local events. The fact that this particular lapse in knowledge has nothing to do with his stolen memories is of little comfort.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Daphne rolls her eyes a bit. She knew Fae had a tendency to replace parts of people with other things. She had cleaned up after several impromptu "surgeries". Maybe they had forgotten to put anything back into Marissa's head.

She looks up at the towering Jared. "We have a better chance of getting a meal if we get out of these rags... they make us stand out." Walking down the street she scans for any sort of shop that might have clothing of any sort. She also keeps an eye out for any sort of church or donation center that might have some donated clothes for the homeleses. True, they weren't exactly homeless, but close enough.

Despite her wandering, she tries to stay close to Jared, looking nervous when people pass too close to her.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Emerging into the sun again, Jared savors the warmth on his skin. You never really appreciate things till you've gone forever without. His mood is dragged back down, however, when he sees the normal people going about their normal lives. Normal got left behind a long time ago. Not that he was super "normal" in his old life, but yeah, everything is relative.

Speaking of going forever without, both food and new clothes sound awesome. When Nick jumps out to stop Marissa's mad dash for the fruit cart it just drives home that they're not going to be getting anything anytime soon looking the way they do without resulting to straight up begging. "I think Daphne has the right idea. That grocery store isn't going anywhere but we're likely to have a bit more success in pretty much anything if we aren't dressed like tramps."

Without really conciously realizing it, Jared begins to interpose himself between Daphne and the incoming foot traffic. "Do you think theres some place we'd actually be able to get clothes? I mean, without having to steal it or whatever?" Jared is fairly disturbed at the concept of possibly having to resort to theft just to get by now.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "Yeah, that seems to be the best way to start. There has to be a Salvation Army or something like that in a neighborhood like this."

Nick places a hand on Marissa's shoulder, then nods toward the other two.

"Come on, girl. Food can wait a little longer. It's good to know that we've got someplace close by, but without cash that's not much of a help. Gotta take this one step at a time."

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    "There are lots of way to get clothes without having to resort to ... that course of action. Churches and other places often have donation bins to help those in need. Most of my baby clothes came from a bin like that."

Daphne attempts to track down a donation location like the ones mentioned above or find a nearby clothing rack to steal off of. Even though it is rare, she keeps her eyes peeled for any raw fabrics. With a needle, thread, and some cloth she could get them all some clothes without having to steal.
    Wits (3) + Streetwise (-2) (1d10.hitsopen(8,10)=1)
    Ha, holy crap. Wizened get -2 to untrained social rolls.

Against all odds, and her own crippling social anxiety, Daphne actually manages a decent attempt to try track down clothes.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Daphne keeps her nose to the ground and looks around, eventually setting eyes on a soup kitchen a few blocks away from the tenement. There's a small line of homeless people, looking about as ragged as the Changeling group, and a small donation/thrift store next to the kitchen entrance, where the Drudge can spot a few racks of clothing.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    "Hm. Nice work, Daphne. That might solve both of our immediate problems, for today at least. Here's hoping they don't ask a lot of questions, because I have no idea what we'd tell them."

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    "We tell em we're homeless, it's the truth."

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    "If you ignore the safehouse, sure. And even then that's not much of a home, I'll admit. I'm more concerned with them asking how we became homeless. Everyone living on the street has a story -- and ours is literally a fairy tale! Four, even! 'I don't want to talk about it' might work for Daphne and me, maybe, but how many homeless people look like you or Marissa? Hell, I'd take one look at her and assume she was a runaway and call the cops to find her folks, cover story or not."

As he looks at the young dancer, Nick pauses. A dim light bulb sputters to life in the back of his head.

"Unless... unless maybe one of us claimed to be one of her parents? Or maybe even two of us? The math might be a bit off, but it's close enough that I think we could get away with it. Of course, none of us have any idea how we'll look to everyone else, thanks to that 'mask' thing Meg and Silk told us about..."

Noticing the looks he's receiving from the other three, Nick trails off.

"Or am I being too paranoid here?"

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    "Or we just claim to be new in town?" Jared looks over their motley group. "I think trying to come up with any reasonable explanation for us is a waste of time. They'll prolly assume we're running from something, and really, isn't that what we're doing?"

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    "Awww, fine."

Marissa listens to their conversation. "This I can do."

She strolls right into the donation store, looking through the racks of clothing.

If approached by a salesperson, she explains: "Oh I'm so sorry! It's just that my boyfriend - or ex - I should say, rather, threw me out of his apartment after we had a fight. I spent the night on the streets -" she shivers "-and I spent my last quarter calling my family in Pensacola to come and get me. Would you mind if I just took some pants and a shirt? My own stuff's all torn up...or not ever coming out of that bastard's place."
    If necessary, Manipulation+Subterfuge:

4d10.open(10)=17

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Daphne scowls. She does the work to get them here and now the pretty girl will walk in, bat her eyes, and everyone will give her whatever she wants. That is how it always worked. Daphne knows that if she tried it should be booted out on her ass. Some things never change.

She is also a bit unhappy with being volunteered to be her pretend mother, she didn't look that old, did she?

"They won't ask too many questions and no one expects a straight answer. I always thought the people here were a little, you know, broken in the head. But maybe they were like us..."

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    "Well, who's to say that we aren't broken in the head too? I can't speak for the rest of you, but I certainly am."

His fears assuaged, Nick moves in to see if he can find anything in his size. A look of frustration crosses his face when he realizes that he doesn't remember what his size is. With an inward sigh, he starts experimenting with coats to re-learn it.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The young salesman who immediately rushes up to help out Marissa nods understandingly, trying rather unsuccessfully to not leer at her barely-covered body. "Yeah, of course, just pick a few things out and I'll let you into the changing rooms so you can walk out."

As the other three pick through the racks, they notice that the store is fairly quiet, only a few other shoppers browsing, and the only staff who is actually on the floor is quite occupied with staring at Marissa. Smooth jazz plays quietly in the background, the entire place seems oddly peaceful given the utter slum it's located in.
    To successfully beg for clothes, it's going to be a subterfuge-based roll, Difficulty 2, the attribute depends on how you go about it(should be Manipulation or Presence.) A successful Wits+Empathy roll will lower the difficulty by 1. Marissa already passed, thanks to her Striking Looks. She did, however, tell a lie in a way that makes it impossible for her to help the others get clothes.
    To steal the stuff would be Dexterity+Larceny to successfully conceal it without being spotted, Difficulty 1.
    Any other method is up to you guys to figure out.
    If you can figure out a way to get money, the clothes are dirt cheap and easily affordable, you could get an outfit here for 10 bucks easy.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Nick scours the racks, eventually finding a lightweight coat, some worn jeans, and a couple dress shirts. As he sets out to find a decent pair of shoes (and maybe some socks while he's at it), he takes a look around at the employees. Or employee? Is it really just the one guy blinded by Marissa? That can't be right... can it?

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    After a quick scan of the area, Nick spies the woman by the register and brings his collection to her.

"Excuse me, miss? I'm sure you hear this a lot, but I don't seem to have any cash on me. As you can see, I need some clothes pretty badly. I don't want to get into the whole sob story of how this happened; the short version is I had pretty much everything in my life stolen from me. Identity theft... not fun. If you would be willing, I can offer my services for a day or so to work off what I would owe for these. I'm not on drugs, drunk, or anything like that, and I've recently found lodgings in this area with some friends who are in a similar situation. Do you think we could be able to work something out here?"

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Jared watches both Marissa and Nick lay on the charm. "That shit never worked for me," he thinks to himself. While jealous, he doesnt want to mess up their game so he browses around on the off chance that something there will fit him while waiting to see how their efforts pan out.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    "Me either", mumbles Daphne, dourly. She has a difficulty even seeing over the racks, but she flips through bits of clothing and sighs. Drab and drabber. That is how all these will look on her.

Her mind flashes back to when she was eight. Her drunk of the mother would take her to places like this for clothes. They couldn't pay for it, of course, so her mother would distract the owners while young Daphne would stuff the clothes into her second hand Thomas the Tank Engine backpack. Back to school shopping at its finest.

Noticing that both attendants are currently busy, one occupied with ogling and one being told a story that is scarily true, she takes the opportunity to snag a couple pieces off the rack. A light colored dress and a long sleeved shirt that seems like it would fit her.

Just like riding a bike.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The woman at the counter nods sympathetically, a rather large cheery smile spreading across her face. "Of course! Most people just come in to beg, if you want to put in an eight hour day at the soup kitchen, I'd be happy to provide you with some clothes! We folks here at Rags 'N Sunshine Charity are always willing to help out an honest soul like yourself, Mr...?"
    She shrugs, continuing on without giving Nick a chance to interject. "Take some clothes for now, and get settled into that place! Just make sure you come back tomorrow! It wouldn't do to get a reputation as a liar in this city, we talk with a lot of the other kitchens and charities around here!"

Towards the back of the store, the younger salesman, having introduced himself as Sam, shows Marissa to a change room. "Just in here, you can get out of those dirty clothes and into some clean stuff. If you want, we do have a shower you should use, in the back room, although it's supposed to be for staff only..."

With the two actual employees completely occupied, nobody notices Daphne grabbing some clothes, and Jared finds himself the only one without some clothes. He does, after some looking, manage to find a huge Miami Heat basketball shirt, obviously worn by someone with a way larger gut than him... but it would fit. One huge pair of shorts later, and he had clothes, albeit none that he would be caught dead wearing before his Durance.

Rainfall on