As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Crysis 2- I would recommend against buying this game

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I haven't had that, but 30% of the time I pull out a weapon that has multiple firing modes I'm unable to change between them. It gets annoying when I have to engage enemies at range, but I can't use anything but 3 shot bursts or full auto.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, this game is pretty much unplayable on my pc

Weird hanging every time something happens means that I just can't play the damn game.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • WhitewolfjmWhitewolfjm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    So my melee ability stopped working.

So did stealth kills.

Awesome job, Crytek.

I had the exact same issue during my play through as well. What I had to do was to completely exit the game, and then after getting back in and loading the checkpoint it would work again for a while.
    I had to re-log ~5-7 times during the single player campaign.

What is worse however is that on three separate occasions, the game erased all "nanobux" (as we seem to be calling them), and I have found no way to get those back. So basically I farmed the crap out of all the aliens, but I still completed the game missing one suit upgrade due to erased funds.

This game needs a bunch of patches in a bad way.

Whitewolfjm on
    3DS Friend Code: 0275-8881-6723
    3DS Friend Name: Whitewolfjm
    Pokemon Y In-game name: Superman
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    alset85 wrote: »
    He extracted an archive, modified an xml file and put it back in. I won't say more.

I actually figured out most of it. You just modify the XML files. I didn't even have to extract anything.

That_Guy on
  • EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Okay, I just bought this game. Only about 2 hours in, but there are a few problems I feel need addressing. (On the PC)
    1) Where the goosing fuck is the ability to go prone?
    2) Why can I put a silencer and laser dot on one assault rifle, but the next one I pick up can only support an assault scope and a few underbarrel options?
    3) Enemy AI seems really wonky. Half the time if they find a dead body, they'll go into alert and radio it in, but the other half the just shrug and go back to patrolling.
    4) Could the lean system be any more awkward and unintuitive to use?
    5) Why do I have to switch to grenades before I can throw them. Why can't I just hit G and be done with it? Also, why are there no grenade hitmarkers?
    6) Is there supposed to be a lot of motion blur? My rig could run Crysis on High just fine, but even on the lowest setting available the ironsights leave a hideous green streak across my screen.
    Sorry for the rant, but this game seems really dumbed-down and unimaginative compared to its predecessor.

EtherealWalrus on
  • JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    5) Why do I have to switch to grenades before I can throw them. Why can't I just hit G and be done with it? Also, why are there no grenade hitmarkers?
    I actually like this one, and there are grenade hitmarkers (at least in MP).

Btw, I think I just ran into my first group of hackers. They were all from the same clan, at least one of them was running around constantly with nanovision enabled. Dunno, the killcam looked very much like the one in the youtube. I might be paranoid, they didn't steamroll the match as I finished second place, other than that the top 4 was all them.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I'm not heading into multiplayer until I hear some more about patches.

Failing that, well, Brink.

Echo on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not heading into multiplayer until I hear some more about patches.

Failing that, well, Brink.

Brink is still over a month away. :(

Or failing that, I'm just going to vacate the more mainstream stuff completely and camp out with the other grognards in Red Orchestra. :lol:

@EtherealWalrus:

Regarding the motion blur, there's no way to turn it off, and yeah, from my time in the demo it's pretty bad. And the game also uses a form of pseudo Anti Aliasing called Temporal AA (basically they're not smoothing the image, they're literally just taking the last frame and overlaying it on top of the current image with a pixel offset) that causes ghosting.

subedii on
  • cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok so, been playing a bit more. It finally "clicked" for me and the suit has become like second nature. I do have one thing to say, though.

FUCK Pingers.

cr0w on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Finished the game on Veteran, and then went back and finished it on Supersoldier. Now I'm finally playing some multiplayer and it's been a lot of fun so far. It's a lot like CoD but you can choose to play how you want to, almost as if it's class-based. Except here, you pick your class by suit mode. I tend to play from a very defensive stance, so I'll switch on Armor mode all the time, crouch, and peek out from behind cover. Of course, I'm using the perk that slows energy drain in armor mode. It's like I'm playing a heavy tank class, and it works well for me. One time, I even switched it on and used a mounted machine gun turret to mow down some distant enemies that were pounding on some team members. They fired back and brought my health pretty low, but the armor mode allowed me to kill them and limp away to cover and regen. You can't really do that sort of thing in CoD or Bad Company 2. Of course, one time I was shooting out from a house window when suddenly, a cloaked guy ran up behind me and pulled off a stealth kill. He was playing more of a stealth class, and it worked well for him. The cloak allowed him to play the way he wanted to. It makes for varied and interesting combat.

The only thing I did not like was that the cover and lean mechanic seemed to be completely gone from multiplayer. You'll crouch behind cover and it'll be much too high for you to shoot out of, and then if you stand up it'll expose much more of your body than you'd like. Also, just by looking at the stats... the Mk60 in MP looks to have been nerfed quite a bit from the campaign. In singleplayer, the Mk60 had almost double the damage per shot compared to a SCAR, while in multiplayer the Mk60's damage is only slightly higher than the SCAR's. Given the lower rate of fire and mobility, it seems like a bad idea to ever pick the Mk60, unless you just don't like reloading.

Delta Assault on
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just picked this up, and the opening credits were a fucking eye orgy. Also, the MUSIC! The music is incredible. It really sets the tone for the game.

I remember the first Crysis very well, but never got around to playing Warhead. Crysis ran amazingly well on my machine, but there were compatibility issues or some shit when I installed Warhead...

Anyway, FUCK!
    Prophet was so awesome...

Morvidus on
  • Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This should be in the op. One of the greatest intros ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLKv2lVasoo

Also maybe a new OP that doesn't talk shit on the game.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • EnglishBobEnglishBob Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I bought this on Saturday, My PSU exploded during the intro.

True Story.

EnglishBob on
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, definitely the worst OP I've seen in a very long time. However, I can understand that guy's complaints from a PC enthusiast's point of view. I went with the X360 version and I don't regret it at all. The game is simply stunning. I sit on my PC all day and play Rift anyway, so the couch and Crysis is a welcome change of routine.

Morvidus on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The OP for this thread is one of the best OP's in the history of OP's.
    I went with the X360 version

Yeah, that explains a lot.

At any rate, the game is disappointing to say the least.

BlackDove on
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Morvidus wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely the worst OP I've seen in a very long time. However, I can understand that guy's complaints from a PC enthusiast's point of view. I went with the X360 version and I don't regret it at all. The game is simply stunning. I sit on my PC all day and play Rift anyway, so the couch and Crysis is a welcome change of routine.

Oh, it used to have a much more objective OP, but when the PC demo came out we were all badly stung. Badly stung. No graphics options (not even antialiasing), awful server browser, COD copycat gameplay and fucking autoaim on PC. The OP would be considerably less venomous had Crytek not just ported Crysis to consoles, but actually put any effort into the PC version. You don't even need external hacks, you can just edit the XML files that control suit energy in multiplayer. Hell, Bad Company 2 was a pretty blatant console port. Barely any extra options for PC, but at least it had proper graphics options. I remember everyone mocking DICE for touting ambient occlusion and a server browser in the PC version videos. Will devs now have to promote simple graphics options after this nasty precedent?

Warcry on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The funny part is that_guy apparently bought the game a few pages ago.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    what upgrades are worth getting for single player? I'm playing on supersoldier. This game is pretty damn fun and it looks great. It's been a while since I enjoyed a game like this.

Tridus1x on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Warcry, you keep bringing up autoaim in the PC version, but it's actually only enabled if playing with a controller.

Peewi on
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    Warcry, you keep bringing up autoaim in the PC version, but it's actually only enabled if playing with a controller.

It's actually enabled if you play with a controller plugged in. You can play with KBAM and have autoaim if you have a controller connected.

Warcry on
    edited March 2011
    Warcry wrote: »

It's actually enabled if you play with a controller plugged in. You can play with KBAM and have autoaim if you have a controller connected.

Shouldn't that be put in past tense? The patch removed all that didn't it?

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Where is that image of the nearly entire "boycott modern warfare 2" steam group playing modern warfare 2

The Black Hunter on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Joril wrote: »

Yup

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

That's not the only complaint of his that already got fixed. Though there are many annoying things left (no real cheat-protection, bugs, armor mode not really being useful, lag with a ping of 20 or less) he might notice that some of his complaints already got fixed if he just stopped raging. I get it. You don't like the game. Although you're not being very objective about it, I respect you're opinion. Now please stop you're raging and diminishing other peoples fun through that.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

edited March 2011

That's not the only complaint of his that already got fixed. Though there are many annoying things left (no real cheat-protection, bugs, armor mode not really being useful, lag with a ping of 20 or less) he might notice that some of his complaints already got fixed if he just stopped raging. I get it. You don't like the game. Although you're not being very objective about it, I respect you're opinion. Now please stop you're raging and diminishing other peoples fun through that.

How exactly am I diminishing your fun? I said very little effort was put into the PC version and cited examples of it, some of which have been patched (which I was not aware of) but a few massive problems still exists as a result of Crytek ignoring things PC devs have been doing since the days of Quake. The point I'm making is that sequels should build on the prowess of the previous game, not have features removed from it, some of which are very, very basic.

Warcry on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Bought? Lol, no. I was, ummm; playing it "at a friend's house". I feel sorry for pc gamers who bought this.

That_Guy on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That_Guy wrote: »

Bought? Lol, no. I was, ummm; playing it "at a friend's house". I feel sorry for pc gamers who bought this.

Mister Torrent has many "friends", huh?

Goose.

Feel free to feel sorry, I've thoroughly enjoyed the singleplayer campaign and got more than my money's worth, despite whatever technical hiccups the game has.

reVerse on
    edited March 2011

How exactly am I diminishing your fun? I said very little effort was put into the PC version and cited examples of it, some of which have been patched (which I was not aware of) but a few massive problems still exists as a result of Crytek ignoring things PC devs have been doing since the days of Quake. The point I'm making is that sequels should build on the prowess of the previous game, not have features removed from it, some of which are very, very basic.

Okay, for that I'm going to apologize. First my statement of you diminishing my/our fun was over-exaggerated. Second you are far more reasonable then I expected and even more then I am. Anyways, I agree with what you just posted. No DirectX 11, textures ranging from really bad to pretty good (the former obviously being the problem), lak of graphic options, bugs (cataclysts disappearing, attachements disappearing) etc. However, you may say I have too high expectations any time, but I do think that many of those problems can be fixed. I just don't think that they can leave some of those textures in in their right mind; DirectX 11 will come as well. Bugs can be fixed. If you're saying that it doesn't allow the same amount of freedom, then you're partially lying though. At points, it offers even more. IMHO it improved on the whole gameplay aspect of the original Crysis with more variable options on how to engage enemies, smarter AI in terms of stealth gameplay as well as overall, plus more vertical gameplay. Would I have wished for bigger levels? Yes. I myself wished there was at least one additional, larger level. I wouldn't have changed any level already in the game though, they seem perfectly fine in terms of design and gameplay.

Then there's the multiplayer. You're problem is that it's too much like CoD or doesn't incorporate the parts of the Crysis series that could've made it more varied, right?
    In that case, I once again agree and disagree at the same time. There are many elements that work in my opinion. There are no overpowered suit modules, the suit doesn't feel like a gimmick, the maps are varied and offer verticality, the game modes are pretty good etc. However, there are bad things as well which I agree on with you: It's too fast paced, especially for a game with guys in nanosuits that are supposed to offer options and tactics, not just reflexes. Some weapons are under/overpowered: Shotgun = useless while Scar = useful. There's bad protection against cheaters and hackers. Again adding to it being fast paced is too low health, armor mode offering not enough protection and lastly, headshots being standart-fps headshots - you`d think that helmet would offer at least some protection.
    Again, however, these are things that can and could be fixed. What can and will probably be fixed is cheat-protection and weapon balance as well as network stability/connection stability. What could but might/is probably not going to be fixed is the pace. IMHO the game could go from good (IMHO) to something special. Sure, you're average FPS fans aren't going to like it but it would be so awesome to actually feel like you're in a steel suit of armor that can be invisible etc. Firefights would be more intense, teamwork would be more valuable since you'd have a chance to use more advanced tactics due to simply longer firefights and increased survivability, the list goes on.
    Concluding this freaking article I just wrote I'd say that the multiplays will be good by my standarts once they fix those issues I said the can and probably will. It'll still be a shame though that no one plays extraction or assault, they offer some really nice, tactical gameplay.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I bought it for PC and there is no reason to feel sorry for me: I am loving every minute of it. For me this is the most solid, varied, exciting single-player FPS campaign since Half-Life 2.

I guess i'd qualify as an enthusiast, what with my overclocked Q9550, GTX480 and SSD but I have no problem with the graphics. It looks fucking amazing everywhere. Yeah, there's the odd bum texture and the blur is a bit OTT, but the former applies to every game (including the original) and I quickly got used to the latter. The art direction and level design is really good, i'm constantly amazed and the environments work well for the gameplay - really nice, varied action bubbles.

Overall, while there are a few negatives, the whole singleplayer part of the game is really fun. I would recommend it heartily to anyone still on the fence.

Jimmy Marku on
    edited March 2011
    The thing that I have issue with, Blackbird, is that when I say the gameplay is a COD clone it is not just due to the gunplay. It's the killstreaks, the weapon slots, the perks and the feel of the game that's been aped directly from COD. You don't feel like you're wearing a super advanced piece of technolgy capable of withstanding artillery. The game does feel unique. You die in half a second flat, your speed mode feels about as fast as running in COD (mainly due to the horribly small default FOV) and your cloak is useless for anything but camping in corners or disappearing briefly to evade a pursuer. It would not be unbalanced, for example, to have to chase down enemies until their armour was completely worn out, taking about five seconds on full auto to do so. To be able to sprint at 80km/h at someone, jump and punch their head in with Strength is not unbalanced. Not if everyone can do it. Give the players a heap of powers, large amounts of energy and guns stop being the primary focus. Crysis should not be about the guns. It should be about the extra abilities that add a whole new dimension to the gameplay. That's how Crysis 1 felt. Speed mode was ridiculously fast. Strength added a new dimension to things as simple as shooting a gun. Strength mode rediced gun sway. It allowed you to jump onto high objects. It allowed you to throw grenades up to 100m away. Inversely, you could preserve energy by switching to armour and then doing all these things, but with less force. It gave you control. In Crysis 2, you do not have the control over your energy that Crysis 1 gave you, which was a big mistake in my eyes. Strength and Speed are set to permanently on, but only for certain situations such as running or jumping. Selecting Speed while walking in Crysis 1 would result in you walking at your running speed, with no cost to energy. You could fire faster, reload faster, even crouch and prone faster. It was something that people could use to become highly efficient. Run out of the jungle, switch to strength, shoot mans, cloak, go back into the jungle, prone behind a log, switch to speed, reload at 2x speed while the goons come looking for you. Pop up over the log, strength jump over the goons while throwing a grenade with unheard of speed. Land in armour and gun everone doown while you survive your own grenade explosion. All this was entirely possible in Crysis 1, without hacking the suit config.

Hell, I'm confused as to why they did away with the wheel select for powers, something that would be highly intuitive even on consoles. Look at Prototype.

Overall, it is just a completely unnecessary downgrade. It seems they spent the majority of their time creating their engine, not their game. The engine also looks worse than Crysis 1, another unnecessary downgrade. (for PC, not console obviously)

Rant over.

Warcry on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Oh look, it's that guy.

After thinking about it for a while, I'm glad Crytek made this game multiplatform. They deserve to profit from their efforts.

Also:

SERVER TOO BUSY AT THE MOMENT?
    Fucking hell, get UNBUSY!

Delta Assault on
  • BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "30/3 - We wanted to let all of our fans and players know that we take cheating very seriously here at Crytek. We are currently taking steps to permanently remove cheats from Crysis 2 and those individuals that choose to utilize them. We thank you for your patience and want to ensure you that we will continue to work hard to keep the integrity of Crysis 2 intact and cheat-free."

http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=16516

I wish them luck, but I think it may be too late by the time they actually "fix" anything. That and the hackers will just find another way. They have the master keys after all, afaik

Boogdud on
    edited March 2011

Oh look, it's that guy.

After thinking about it for a while, I'm glad Crytek made this game multiplatform. They deserve to profit from their efforts.

Also:

Fucking hell, get UNBUSY!

You do know that Crysis wasn't as widely pirated as Yerli made out? I mean, he got pretty damn good sales considering his marketing consisted of basically 'your computer probably won't run this game', plus it was a totally new IP. Crysis certainly wasn't pirated a great deal more than any other game out at the time. You release a game, buyer gonna buy, pirates gonna pirate. That's the way the games industry works.

I find it funny how it wasn't even a pirate ripping a disc this time around. The practically complete retail game was leaked from Crytek itself and they still play the piracy card.

Also, you might want to check out how many people are downloading torrents for the console versions.

Warcry on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    \After thinking about it for a while, I'm glad Crytek made this game multiplatform. They deserve to profit from their efforts.\
    From their hack job?

SithDrummer on
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The thing that I have issue with, Blackbird, is that when I say the gameplay is a COD clone it is not just due to the gunplay. It's the killstreaks, the weapon slots, the perks and the feel of the game that's been aped directly from COD. You don't feel like you're wearing a super advanced piece of technolgy capable of withstanding artillery.

The game does feel unique. You die in half a second flat, your speed mode feels about as fast as running in COD (mainly due to the horribly small default FOV) and your cloak is useless for anything but camping in corners or disappearing briefly to evade a pursuer. It would not be unbalanced, for example, to have to chase down enemies until their armour was completely worn out, taking about five seconds on full auto to do so. To be able to sprint at 80km/h at someone, jump and punch their head in with Strength is not unbalanced. Not if everyone can do it. Give the players a heap of powers, large amounts of energy and guns stop being the primary focus. Crysis should not be about the guns. It should be about the extra abilities that add a whole new dimension to the gameplay.

That's how Crysis 1 felt. Speed mode was ridiculously fast. Strength added a new dimension to things as simple as shooting a gun. Strength mode reduced gun sway. It allowed you to jump onto high objects. It allowed you to throw grenades up to 100m away. Inversely, you could preserve energy by switching to armour and then doing all these things, but with less force. It gave you control. In Crysis 2, you do not have the control over your energy that Crysis 1 gave you, which was a big mistake in my eyes. Strength and Speed are set to permanently on, but only for certain situations such as running or jumping. Selecting Speed while walking in Crysis 1 would result in you walking at your running speed, with no cost to energy. You could fire faster, reload faster, even crouch and prone faster. It was something that people could use to become highly efficient. Run out of the jungle, switch to strength, shoot mans, cloak, go back into the jungle, prone behind a log, switch to speed, reload at 2x speed while the goons come looking for you. Pop up over the log, strength jump over the goons while throwing a grenade with unheard of speed. Land in armour and gun everone doown while you survive your own grenade explosion. All this was entirely possible in Crysis 1, without hacking the suit config.

Hell, I'm confused as to why they did away with the wheel select for powers, something that would be highly intuitive even on consoles. Look at Prototype. Overall, it is just a completely unnecessary downgrade. It seems they spent the majority of their time creating their engine, not their game. The engine also looks worse than Crysis 1, another unnecessary downgrade. (for PC, not console obviously)

Rant over.

There. You can thank me for my paragraph magic later, Warcry.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
    edited March 2011
    I do wish armour mode was a bit better, and the default speed faster.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Jaunty wrote: »
    The thing that I have issue with, Blackbird, is that when I say the gameplay is a COD clone it is not just due to the gunplay. It's the killstreaks, the weapon slots, the perks and the feel of the game that's been aped directly from COD. You don't feel like you're wearing a super advanced piece of technolgy capable of withstanding artillery.

The game does feel unique. You die in half a second flat, your speed mode feels about as fast as running in COD (mainly due to the horribly small default FOV) and your cloak is useless for anything but camping in corners or disappearing briefly to evade a pursuer. It would not be unbalanced, for example, to have to chase down enemies until their armour was completely worn out, taking about five seconds on full auto to do so. To be able to sprint at 80km/h at someone, jump and punch their head in with Strength is not unbalanced. Not if everyone can do it. Give the players a heap of powers, large amounts of energy and guns stop being the primary focus. Crysis should not be about the guns. It should be about the extra abilities that add a whole new dimension to the gameplay.

That's how Crysis 1 felt. Speed mode was ridiculously fast. Strength added a new dimension to things as simple as shooting a gun. Strength mode reduced gun sway. It allowed you to jump onto high objects. It allowed you to throw grenades up to 100m away. Inversely, you could preserve energy by switching to armour and then doing all these things, but with less force. It gave you control. In Crysis 2, you do not have the control over your energy that Crysis 1 gave you, which was a big mistake in my eyes. Strength and Speed are set to permanently on, but only for certain situations such as running or jumping. Selecting Speed while walking in Crysis 1 would result in you walking at your running speed, with no cost to energy. You could fire faster, reload faster, even crouch and prone faster. It was something that people could use to become highly efficient. Run out of the jungle, switch to strength, shoot mans, cloak, go back into the jungle, prone behind a log, switch to speed, reload at 2x speed while the goons come looking for you. Pop up over the log, strength jump over the goons while throwing a grenade with unheard of speed. Land in armour and gun everone doown while you survive your own grenade explosion. All this was entirely possible in Crysis 1, without hacking the suit config.

Hell, I'm confused as to why they did away with the wheel select for powers, something that would be highly intuitive even on consoles. Look at Prototype. Overall, it is just a completely unnecessary downgrade. It seems they spent the majority of their time creating their engine, not their game. The engine also looks worse than Crysis 1, another unnecessary downgrade. (for PC, not console obviously)

Rant over.

There. You can thank me for my paragraph magic later, Warcry.

Thanks, appearantely you can also read minds! I was just about to respond to his original post but this helps a bit. :D

Regarding the second paragraph: I agree and disagree. Yes, they could really balance (or un-balane if you will) some of the features in multiplayer; This is something I actually suggested to them earlier on. However, tying into my disagreeing response, cloak is useful for more then camping. I've got quite some awards for back-shooting and stealth-kills. It also helps in objective based matches, not only to sneak around the enemy, but of course also for taking the objective. Armor mode seems to weak, I agree with you. Then you complain about the lack of speed/power mode or features thereof: Now that's the thing I won't even object to. There is a "power" mode alright, but it's nothing more then the suit on stand-by. Sprinting and movement speed in general is way too slow, I like how they tried introducing the slide or making you more manuverable during jumps, but the slide ends up useless since you have so low health and the jump isn't nearly fast enough to be useful. Though what they got right IMHO is recoil control through strength and power-punches by holding the button.

I'm not going to respond to the last paragraph, sine I already posted way too much about how you've still got many of those options and how some you mentioned were possible but utterly useless. You know Battlefield, right? If they added the ability to switch to fists in order to punch faster then you could theoretically run up to your enemies and bash their heads in very fast. Sounds awesome, isn't possible. Just like in Crysis, you'll end up shot, rendering this ability pretty much useless unless you're going one-on-one. Fire faster, reload faster? Don't think so. Yes, I just tried that in Warhead on Delta difficulty, latest patch applied. Now let me rephrase something you posted after my personal experience from earlier and some more testing today:

Run out of the jungle. Wait for half a minute for suit energy to recharge. switch to strength, shoot mans, cloak. Wait for half a minute for suit energy to recharge. Go back into the jungle, prone behind a log, switch to speed, reload at the same speed as in armor mode while the goons come looking for you. Pop up over the log, strength jump over the goons while getting shot at and dieing. Quick-reload. Land in armour and get your energy depleted by two bullets, die and reload again. Gun everone doown only to get killed by your own grenade explosion from five feet away. All this was entirely frustrating in Crysis 1, without hacking the suit config.

I really don't know how to make this any more clear. Either you and I are playing a different game, or one of us plays a modded version of the same game. In my Crysis and Crysis Warhead what happens when I try to pull of the stuff you describe is the above. Which frustrated me back then and still is, making sneaking or incredibly drawn out firefights with lots and lots of waiting for suit energy to recharge the only way to succeed in the game.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's a good point by Blackbird. You do spend waaaaay too much time in the game waiting for suit energy to recharge. I found stealthing and shooting to be, by far, the easiest way to succeed in the game against the human opponents, who are most common. CELL agents are so inept at locating you that the game becomes an exercise in leaning out, picking one off, then leaning back and waiting for energy to recharge before repeating the process while the CELL weenies gallumph around looking for you. The Ceph enemies are quite different because they actually possess short-term memory and will search for you in the last spot you appeared but are also fast enough to close the range before the suit energy recharges and you re-cloak, which makes them much more dangerous. The rare fights against the Ceph were the few times that the game approached CRYSIS 1's level of excitement.

Fairchild on
  • EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Honestly, I would be a lot more impressed if the game had kept some of the things that the original had.
    Namely prone, an options menu that had options, and a universal attachment system. Also, the ability to carry a sidearm and two main weapons. There is absolutely no reason not to have that option, especially since some of the weapons can't support silencers.

EtherealWalrus on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just finished...and will probably be selling this one. It was kind of fun at first, but ultimately Crysis 2 reminds me a lot of the transition from FEAR 1 to 2: the gameplay feels far less interesting and there is a sort of soulless, hollow feeling to the game to me.

Nothing to do with consolization or anything, I just found myself saying "this has been done a million times before, and done better before" at every turn.

Darlan on
This discussion has been closed.