As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E] Dark Sun: The Island (Game is dead. Sorry.)

• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well... we were dead anyways then.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's Athas. We were always dead :mrgreen:

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Agh, apologies. If you leave me for dead, I understand.

Gideon on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm trying to get out an update for everybody. I've only just gotten caught up on everything today, what with the forum being how it is right now.

So updates soon, hopefully.

Denada on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    No worries, you have a job/wife/OFFSPRING THAT DEPENDS ON YOU TO LIVE and the forums have been bitches.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Forum issues continue, and I'll be going to Maui next week. So don't expect any updates for a while.

While the two games are more or less on hold, let me ask the eight of you about what's happened so far.

Do you feel like this low-combat format is working? Participation seems to have taken a nose-dive, but I don't know if that's because you're bored, lost, held back by the server being too busy, or some combination of the three/something else.

Would you like a more linear plot progression? Some rails for you to ride in the jungle, so to speak? More combat? Something else entirely?

I knew this was going to be experimental when I started it, so I understand these games might fail. I can accept that, but I'd like to see what's going on with you guys first. If we were at a table we wouldn't even be through the second session yet, so I think it's too early to call it at this point. But let's get talking.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    As much as it sounds lame to say it, at least for a bit more linear plot progression might be nice, at least until we're a little more established in the world.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    3clipse wrote: »
    As much as it sounds lame to say it, at least for a bit more linear plot progression might be nice, at least until we're a little more established in the world.

That was my initial concern. You're in an unknown place for an unknown reason, with unknown people. I don't know how much interaction I can expect when you don't know anything yet.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah. I like the idea of a more open narrative and getting to choose how we go eventually but right now some linearity might be better xD

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think that's a lot of it. Until we get a baseline for party interaction and more focused goals than survival, it's hard to push the story forward as a PC.

I personally kind of feel like I'm waiting on things to react to. Which probably isn't conducive to exploratory gameplay.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel currently. It doesn't help that I feel like I'm leading my group into a death trap, but that I can come to terms with.

I really do like the idea of an exploratory campaign, but right now I agree with 3clipse and Zed.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    MaledicteMaledicte Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I agree that a linear plot progression could be cool, or if not, then at least a huge event that gives us some kind of information either about where we are, or what our mission is, or something that reveals a big insight into our group dynamic. I think with Group 2- Zahra being captured and our search for her could lead to some of that being revealed; if not regarding Athas, regarding our group and our capabilities/personality. In any case, I think more info is needed- or more plot- in order to really interact.

Oh, and a consistently working forum would also be nice. ;P

Maledicte on
    Tea, Earl Grey, hot.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Alright, roll call!

It's been three weeks since the last game post. At that time, Zahra found herself in some kind of prison cell after being drugged by mysterious attackers, and Keothi, Ghires, and Ichtaca are about to set off in search of her.

Meanwhile, Chakak'Hoz, Thar, Erdal, and Juma have entered the jungle as a scouting party for the caravan's forward-section survivors. While hoping to find a road that would give them some idea of where they are, they've instead found Chakak'Hoz chasing after a thri-kreen from his past that no one else can see.

So who's still here? Who's still interested? Do you want to find out where you are?

Denada on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I wanna keep doing stuff!

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm still here.

Ready to glance disapprovingly at Athasian weirdness.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm here, leading my team to an early death!

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    *glances disapprovingly at the crazy thri-kreen*

OptimusZed on

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ahoy hoy.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Okay, so Group 1 is present and accounted for. Good. I'm going to skip ahead a bit in my next update, but in the meantime, make two Insight checks and one saving throw for Chakak.

Group 2?

Denada on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm okay to continue. Maledicte is out of town till the 1st.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Everyone makes two insight checks, or just Chakak?

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Insight X 2: 2#1d20+13 20 27

Saving Throw: 1d20 11

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Insight: 2#1d20+1 10 20

In case you wanted them from everyone.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited April 2011
    Just Chakak. The rest of you can already see that he's hallucinating.

And now with those rolls Chakak can see it too, and he's ended the effect that was causing it to happen. So as the four of you arrive in the _________ and see all the ____ and ____ at least you won't have a crazy thri-kreen to deal with.

Denada on
  • Options
    TrustTrust Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hopefully not required: If you need anyone replacing, I would like to offer my time.

Trust on
    We Stand Ready
  • Options
    GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If anyone would like to replace me, please do! Apologies for my lack of activity. Transferring my RL game to the forums has meant that the WTForest has fallen low in my priorities.

Gideon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Good to know, both from Trust and Gideon. I'll keep Group 2's open spot in mind over the next few days. It might be filled. It might not. We'll see.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Okay, I've been doing some thinking, reading, writing, and photoshopping, and I've come to a decision about this campaign. Here are the changes that you can expect to see once I start up the game again (which probably won't be until after the new forums - or at least the beta of the new forums - are up):

Group 2 is being eliminated. I didn't have a good feeling about splitting the campaign into two groups and I think I was right. There's a story in this place, but I don't want each group to get half of it. In light of this, I'd like the remaining members of Group 2 (Skarsol and Maledicte, it would seem) to join Group 1. I picked those characters for a reason and I'd like to see their part of the story unfold.

I'm going to explain a bit of what's going on right now. After a fair bit of exploration, you have determined that you are not in the Tyr region. You are on an island. The island is about the size of Maui, is cut in half length-wise by a large mountain range, and has several bodies of fresh water, including a large river. The majority of the island is covered in dense jungle, though that gives way to desert near most of the coast. Even those of you that have some experience with the Sea of Silt have never heard of a place like this, but here you are.

It's been about two weeks since the events in the last post. Group 1 found the remnants of a small village not far from where Chakak began hallucinating. There are no indications of who the village's previous inhabitants were. Most of the survivors have moved into the village, though a few remain near the coast. Strange obsidian obelisks rise up from the ground in seemingly random spots around the village, though as of yet no one has been able to discern their purpose or function, if they have one.

The survivors from the rear-section wreck (if Skarsol and Maledicte decide to continue) have just arrived at the village after a harrowing journey from the mountains to the north. After several encounters with a terrifying beast in the jungle, they are convinced that there is some kind of dragon on the island, or at least the spirit of one. Though none of the forward-section survivors have seen this creature, they have heard its cries in the night and seen the wake of devastation that it leaves behind.

So that's where we're at now. Your thoughts?

Denada on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Sounds good to me, boss man.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Let's do it.

I'm always up for seeing what passes for an Athasian jungle predator.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Maledicte and I are in.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm in, but I need to sober up before providing serious insight.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Spirits? Guess I still have a job!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Infidel wrote: »
    Spirits? Guess I still have a job!

Yes, very much so. We'll be going more into it as we get the game going again, but the island is a hotbed of spiritual activity. Probably to the point of Juma needing to make an effort to shield himself from them.

In other words, there be spirits all up ins.

Also you should expect a change to the thread titles. Desert Flight was never the real name of the campaign.

This campaign is all about a place. This campaign is about ...
    theisland-title.jpg

Denada on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    you glorious bastard

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So...is this still alive?

:(

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It was going to be, but, sadly, I'm going to have to let it die. Some things have come up at home and they preclude me from having any time to give this proper attention. I wanted to have an update out last week, but I just didn't have time to get things together, and I'm not going to any time soon.

I'm one of those people that is all "You DMs need to make sure you have time for the game if you're going to run one and blah blah blah" but sometimes shit happens, and shit has happened. Some of it is good, some of it is bad, but it's a lot and I just can't give this story the time it needs and deserves. I only have time to run one game right now, and The Hunters came first, so it gets priority. I don't make this decision lightly, and I regret having to make it.

I want to thank all of you for spending so much time on your characters (including those that weren't chosen) and for giving this a chance. I'm sad and annoyed that it didn't pan out. There will be a time when I can run another game (though that time is likely a long way off), and I hope you'll consider applying when it comes around. Thanks again, and I'm sorry.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    No worries Denada. I've seen you run multiple year-long+ games on these boards, no one can accuse you of being a flake.

Best of luck with everything at home. I'll definitely app to your games whenever they pop up again.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I won't lie, I'm a little disappointed. But I know how life is. Other things definitely need to take priority.

Best of luck to you. I'll be putting in an app to the next one you start. ;-)

OptimusZed on

• Options
    MaledicteMaledicte Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    "And with a flash of blinding light the heavens ripped apart and Keothi exploded in a fit of magical, suppressed power. Some say he died due to the amount of power coarsing un-used within his veins. Some say that he just transformed. No one will never *really* know....or will they? :P"

Looking forward to your next campaign in the far off future! :)

-Maledicte

Maledicte on
    Tea, Earl Grey, hot.