As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NBC Thursday Night Comedies Yay!

• Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was much more tired of Michael to be honest.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think one of my beefs with the office is that they keep introducing no-nonsense "straight men" and then end up turning the straight men into characters as absurd as everyone else on the show

they did it with charles, jan, david, etc.

I thought they actually had a pretty great/convincing thing going with Ferrell's character, but the weird treatment of Andy kinda pushed the line for me

I don't have a problem with them not having any straight men, ofc, I just think it's weird that they can't really commit. They always get bored of having people just be people and start pumping them up with all these quirks

also: Michael jealous or possessive of old ways thing: boo. Make him happy to go and happy to be leaving the place behind, blahblahblah who the fuck am I

Charles Kinbote on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm mostly just tired of Will Ferrell

Grey Ghost on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    wait when did charles turn goofy

he turned out to be a suck-up but I don't think that was really outside of his character. If anything it explained it a little more. He was a kiss-ass to his superiors and he was projecting by expecting his employees to do the same to him

there's definitely more of a case to be made for david wallace but even in his case it's reasonable to believe that he had had some kind of nervous breakdown between when we saw him as the CFO and when we saw him as a lazy moron

Speed Racer on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I will admit Michael visiting David was pretty funny.

Jan's thing is just bizarre to me and actually kind of disturbing.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm not really sure where I stand on will ferrell being on the office

I'll have to see more episodes with him first

Speed Racer on
  • VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think one of my beefs with the office is that they keep introducing no-nonsense "straight men" and then end up turning the straight men into characters as absurd as everyone else on the show

I thought they actually had a pretty great/convincing thing going with Ferrell's character, but the weird treatment of Andy kinda pushed the line for me

I don't have a problem with them not having any straight men, ofc, I just think it's weird that they can't really commit. They always get bored of having people just be people and start pumping them up with all these quirks

also: Michael jealous or possessive of old ways thing: boo. Make him happy to go and happy to be leaving the place behind, blahblahblah who the fuck am I

I can't speak for their intent, but I look at the straight man/woman turned goffy as a kind of "character behind the character." Like, they're introduced as a big scary corporate, non-nonsense character. And then the more air time they get, the more we realize they're actually crazy in different ways like everyone else.

It just seems to get stale because every time one character loses their non-nonsense, they introduce another character with similar qualities to start the cycle over.

VoproSTEIN on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Suck It!

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited April 2011
    BusterK wrote: »
    Suck It!

Yeah!

Speed Racer on
    edited April 2011

he turned out to be a suck-up but I don't think that was really outside of his character. If anything it explained it a little more. He was a kiss-ass to his superiors and he was projecting by expecting his employees to do the same to him

there's definitely more of a case to be made for david wallace but even in his case it's reasonable to believe that he had had some kind of nervous breakdown between when we saw him as the CFO and when we saw him as a lazy moron

charles started out as just "regular guy trying to do his job and make a good impression" and quickly became an unrealistically aggressive and sycophantic jerk

Charles Kinbote on
    edited April 2011
    VoproSTEIN wrote: »

I can't speak for their intent, but I look at the straight man/woman turned goffy as a kind of "character behind the character." Like, they're introduced as a big scary corporate, non-nonsense character. And then the more air time they get, the more we realize they're actually crazy in different ways like everyone else.

It just seems to get stale because every time one character loses their non-nonsense, they introduce another character with similar qualities to start the cycle over.

yeah, bingo

I don't at all disagree that there's no such thing as a "normal" person, there are just people you know well and people you don't

I just don't feel like I need to watch a dozen people turn out to be quirky

Charles Kinbote on
  • simosimo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

but you can have a straight man character that still has complexity and nuance and subtle quirkiness

see: adam scott on parks and rec

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oscar is a pretty great "straight" man

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited April 2011

charles started out as just "regular guy trying to do his job and make a good impression" and quickly became an unrealistically aggressive and sycophantic jerk
    I feel like the unrealistically aggressive part starting to kick in from the very first episode he appeared in

but, thinking back, I saw some of the other episodes with him before the one where he got hired, so maybe my impression of him was already colored

Speed Racer on
    edited April 2011

I feel like the unrealistically aggressive part starting to kick in from the very first episode he appeared in

but, thinking back, I saw some of the other episodes with him before the one where he got hired, so maybe my impression of him was already colored

That's racist Speed Racer

BusterK on
    edited April 2011
    colored
    Speed you fucking racist

Grey Ghost on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

So racist

captaink on
    edited April 2011

This is true.

Also Pam and Jim to an extent. Jim is really only goofy with his jokes towards Dwight, but that's it really. Pam is just non-nonsense and bland (purposeful of course). I felt their "baby whoring" to the new boss was a little out of character.

VoproSTEIN on
    edited April 2011
    Busterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Grey Ghost on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

ha ha

Clint Eastwood on
    edited April 2011
    So slow
    So pokey

BusterK on
    edited April 2011

yeah, that's true

I like Toby as a straight man more, I think, though

because he is just put-upon but has all these little hopes and dreams and ambitions that peek up once in a while

Charles Kinbote on
    edited April 2011

This is true.

Also Pam and Jim to an extent. Jim is really only goofy with his jokes towards Dwight, but that's it really. Pam is just non-nonsense and bland (purposeful of course). I felt their "baby whoring" to the new boss was a little out of character.

jim screws with almost everyone and pam is a nerdy goof

they are not straight men

Charles Kinbote on
    edited April 2011
    Toby is way too whiny
    I can understand why Michael hates him

BusterK on
    edited April 2011
    son of a bitch

Speed Racer on
    edited April 2011
    Toby is way too whiny
    I can understand why Michael hates him

that and he is a passive-aggressive asshole to Jim when him and Pam start dating

Speed Racer on
    edited April 2011
    and oscar is enormously condescending and very, very pedantic

guys, straight men can have personalities

Charles Kinbote on
    edited April 2011

This is true.

jim screws with almost everyone and pam is a nerdy goof

they are not straight men

Maybe I should put "compared to the others," but really that's still my opinion.

Stanley is pretty much like that too.

VoproSTEIN on
    edited April 2011
    I like the vaudeville voice Pam does when telling corny jokes

Speed Racer on
    edited April 2011

I wasn't arguing Toby didn't play the role of the straight man
    I just found him immensely irritating

BusterK on
    edited April 2011
    When the Office first started, you were like "man why does Michael hate on Toby so much, he seems okay" but as it goes on, Toby just starts displaying all these great little irritating quirks. But I really don't think those are why Michael hates him, it all goes back to the problem of Toby not really being part of 'his' office.

captaink on
    edited April 2011

I wasn't arguing Toby didn't play the role of the straight man
    I just found him immensely irritating

fair nuff

Charles Kinbote on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    community will basically have to stop in maybe 2 more seasons before it devolves into scrubs 'wackiness' and therefore becoming unwatchable in every way

well if the ratings stay where they're at I'm not sure it's going to go much further than season three so...problem solved?

anyways community's cast is about a billion times stronger than scrubs so eh

DJ Eebs on
    edited April 2011
    captaink wrote: »
    When the Office first started, you were like "man why does Michael hate on Toby so much, he seems okay" but as it goes on, Toby just starts displaying all these great little irritating quirks. But I really don't think those are why Michael hates him, it all goes back to the problem of Toby not really being part of 'his' office.

Yeah, you're right

BusterK on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2011
    why are you the way that you are

I hate so much about the things you choose to be

DJ Eebs on
    edited April 2011
    captaink wrote: »

Yeah, you're right

I do think his creepiness keeps any of his coworkers standing up for him when Michael shits on him though.

I hope they do something special for Michael's goodbye to Toby.

captaink on
    edited April 2011
    I always thought Michael had an uncanny ability for sniffing out people as part of his salesmanship

BusterK on
    edited April 2011
    I always thought Michael had an uncanny ability for sniffing out people as part of his salesmanship

except when it comes to ryan

Speed Racer on
    edited April 2011

Well, there was an episode this last season where he admits he knows Ryan is awful but still feels he has to give him a chance at his dreams

BusterK on
    edited April 2011

Well, there was an episode this last season where he admits he knows Ryan is awful but still feels he has to give him a chance at his dreams

sure, but that was after years and years of completely misinterpreting Ryan as a person and his relationship with him

Speed Racer on
This discussion has been closed.