As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D awarded "best box art" so far

• Options
    LodsiekLodsiek Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, not seeing too much on the launch window to interest me... I'll watch for reviews, hopefully we get some before release. I've never really played much Pilotwings... someone talk me into it? Sounds like it'd get dull after a bit, but I keep hearing good things.

Lodsiek on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bioptic wrote: »
    To be honest, Monkey Ball, Rayman 2, Asphalt 5 and Street Fighter IV are iPhone games. I literally bought (slightly inferior) $1 iPhone versions of each of them. I admit I'm a little puzzled by Steel Diver though - doesn't even seem to be coming out at launch in Europe, but looks very underwhelming from all the videos so far.
    That's an interesting point, made most interesting by Street Fighter 4. That's a deep and highly successful game, one of the most anticipated release titles, and you could spend $40 on your portable version or you could spend $1. Why buy the $40 version? It's better, sure, but not 40 times better.

That's the mindset Nintendo needs to find a way of addressing, I think.

Seol on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've never played SF on an Iphone but I'm guessing that having buttons/joystick/3D might make it 30-35 times better. I'll eat the 5-10 dollars on that one.

Pilotwings is awesome, but I'm not convinced this one will live up to the 64 one. PW64 had an extremely varied and large United States to explore, while this has an island from a minigame compilation that came out ages ago. I mean, obviously there's a lot people don't know about the new one, but I'm pretty skeptical.

Another strike against it, at least to me, is throwing the Mii's in there all willy nilly. Pilotwings64 had a pretty awesome assortment of cool characters to choose from, with different attributes in size and weight. Where's my Hawk and Goose dammit?

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I feel like I must be missing something with this Steel Diver game. That trailer made it look like a side-scrolling submarine game with occasional periscope-view shooting. This does not come across as a $40 title but more like a flash game or $1 iphone throwaway title. There are so many people putting it on their shopping lists, I'd like to know why it should put it on mine!

I'm with you. Steel Diver looks very underwhelming to me. I don't understand why so many people are excited about it.

It's a 1st party game that doesn't star Mario (or <insert long-established franchise here>). That's probably why.

Personally, eh, it doesn't really interest me, but to be fair, I haven't really looked at it very closely either.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Seol wrote: »
    To be honest, Monkey Ball, Rayman 2, Asphalt 5 and Street Fighter IV are iPhone games. I literally bought (slightly inferior) $1 iPhone versions of each of them. I admit I'm a little puzzled by Steel Diver though - doesn't even seem to be coming out at launch in Europe, but looks very underwhelming from all the videos so far.
    That's an interesting point, made most interesting by Street Fighter 4. That's a deep and highly successful game, one of the most anticipated release titles, and you could spend $40 on your portable version or you could spend $1. Why buy the $40 version? It's better, sure, but not 40 times better.

The answer is to create games that ignore that struggle completely and are tied to the system. I.E. Pokemon, Professor Layton, and Monster Hunter, all of which are franchises that grew up on the handhelds. They can work in other hardware spaces but they were homegrown (and sell the best) on the devices they originate on. Copying the formula from a port runs into the problems you describe: "If I can get it there, what's the value/incentive to get it here?" And I don't know if there's anything that can compete with the almighty dollar. I mean, what could they add to get the average customer on board for a game like Street Fighter IV 3D besides the bells and whistles of what the 3DS offers?

Speaking of which, I don't know if I mentioned this before, but with the NGP's forray into touchscreen and analog stick controls, I'm anticipating a larger flood of titles that play exactly the same between systems compared to the previous generation. More ports that work across all platforms, in other words. Which is why we're going to need those homegrown titles more than ever to establish a clean dividing line.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

There's also a full cast of characters (35 vs. 14) as well has many other features. Why play Dead Space 2 when you can play Dead space iphone?

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rakai wrote: »

There's also a full cast of characters (35 vs. 14) as well has many other features. Why play Dead Space 2 when you can play Dead space iphone?
    Oh, yeah, I agree totally: it's a different level of experience, and isn't really directly comparable. But finding the right way to get that message to the masses is going to be the trick.

V Faction: you're right in terms of making the 3DS itself attractive to consumers. But to developers: they want to be able to release their games on a variety of platforms, including iPhone. They'll want to make the iPhone version good, too, within reason. But they'll only charge a dollar or two for the iPhone version, and $40 for the 3DS, because those are the prices those markets will support. So how do those developers manage the message that the iPhone versions aren't throwaway crap... but the 3DS version is worth so much more?

Seol on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Then they take the route that Capcom has done with SSFIV3D : exploit the 3DS features. And that boils down to...

- 3D
    - StreetPass/SpotPass
    - Buttons
    - Augmented Reality w/Camera
    - Actual differences in the game

If that's not going to be enough sway, or if it severely hinders one version of the game, then what else can ya do? Don't make the game for [Insert System Here] I suppose.

The best bet for the 3DS and NGP, I think, will be in their stores/shop/network/operating system/sharability/friendslist/menu/etc.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think an interview I read of one of the SF developers did a good job of addressing the issue. The interviewer asked why people would buy a portable version when they can just go to an arcade. The developer answered that he wants to attract the players who grew up with SF but are too old to be competitive. For those players they added a combo tap system. He even joked that he can't do hadokens anymore.

There's also the communication aspect, which is sure to be a big factor in Japan. He said that players can download data from people passing by, from simple data to advanced stuff like AI copying your play style.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    StreetPass could be really, really big, if it's utilized correctly. High-score sharing alone...

jothki on
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    V Faction wrote: »
    Then they take the route that Capcom has done with SSFIV3D : exploit the 3DS features. And that boils down to...

- 3D
    - StreetPass/SpotPass
    - Buttons
    - Augmented Reality w/Camera
    - Actual differences in the game

If that's not going to be enough sway, or if it severely hinders one version of the game, then what else can ya do? Don't make the game for [Insert System Here] I suppose.

The best bet for the 3DS and NGP, I think, will be in their stores/shop/network/operating system/sharability/friendslist/menu/etc.

These are the features that will ensure I continue to buy 3DS titles even with an iPhone in my pocket. I'm praying my area has a decent population of people using Street/Spotpass so I can actually use those features. Also mentioned above: Monster Hunter. My PSPGo got over 250 hours of use just for that game series. If I can play it in 3D with some peppering of the 3DS features, I will consider my console purchase justified.

Wraithverge on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I'm not really feeling any of the 3DS launch titles. If anything I would want to buy Street Fighter or Rayman but I don't care too much for either of those franchises and I don't want to force myself to buy a game if there isn't one I genuinely want.

I guess I'll be playing around with the aug-reality cards for a while.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MarioG wrote: »
    So I'm not really feeling any of the 3DS launch titles. If anything I would want to buy Street Fighter or Rayman but I don't care too much for either of those franchises and I don't want to force myself to buy a game if there isn't one I genuinely want.

I feel the same way, more or less. I'm really excited for the 3DS and I have one preordered, but I'm just not feeling the games, for the most part anyway. Pilotwings may be fun, despite it looking stripped down from the N64 version, and maybe that Ghost Recon tactical game will be okay! There's at least one for everyone.

And of course, the launch games for the original DS were...pretty lackluster: Asphalt Urban GT, Feel the Magic, Madden NFL 2005, Mr. Driller, Ping Palls, Ridge Racer, Spider-Man 2, Sprung, Super Mario 64, The Urbz: Sims in the City, and Tiger Woods PGA Tour.

It was basically just Super Mario 64 for a quality game and Feel the Magic for "oh hey look what the touch screen can do okay it's 20 minutes later and I beat it".

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sprung was a classic and I will not hear you slander it good sir.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Have you actually seen it? I've been waiting for some first-hand experience that's not at a controlled Nintendo event, no chance here...stupid India...

I played Layton.

EDIT: Wait a second, there aren't demo units released in the USA yet?

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pata wrote: »

In the same way that Manos: The Hand of Fate was a classic.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pata wrote: »

In the same way that Manos: The Hand of Fate was a classic.

I never claimed otherwise.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cross-post!
    And here is some really smooth SSF4 gameplay. Yes, the people in the background are static. No, it doesn't matter. Something like that could mean the difference between 60 FPS in 3D vs. 30 FPS like DoA.

That's actually really jarring for someone who's played SSF4 a great deal.
    I agree, it's downright alarming to me. It's like one of those things that once you notice it, you just can't take your eyes off it.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MarioG wrote: »

I feel the same way, more or less. I'm really excited for the 3DS and I have one preordered, but I'm just not feeling the games, for the most part anyway. Pilotwings may be fun, despite it looking stripped down from the N64 version, and maybe that Ghost Recon tactical game will be okay! There's at least one for everyone.

And of course, the launch games for the original DS were...pretty lackluster: Asphalt Urban GT, Feel the Magic, Madden NFL 2005, Mr. Driller, Ping Palls, Ridge Racer, Spider-Man 2, Sprung, Super Mario 64, The Urbz: Sims in the City, and Tiger Woods PGA Tour.

It was basically just Super Mario 64 for a quality game and Feel the Magic for "oh hey look what the touch screen can do okay it's 20 minutes later and I beat it".

I just saw some gameplay footage for Steel Diver and it looks pretty okay. But that's the thing. Everything looks okay. And after spending 250 bucks I don't want to spend 40 on just okay.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I feel the same way. It took the DS a while to get off the ground and the same thing will likely happen here, but I want to get one now because otherwise I might not be able to get one for months.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    Have you actually seen it? I've been waiting for some first-hand experience that's not at a controlled Nintendo event, no chance here...stupid India...

I played Layton.

There are, but they're very few and far between. I think theres one store demoing one in my entire state.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Zerokku wrote: »

I played Layton.

There are, but they're very few and far between. I think theres one store demoing one in my entire state.

Is there any site online listing them?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've never pre-ordered a system, and rarely pre-order games so I have a question!

if I put a pre-order for this in at Gamestop (assuming they even have any left) and put partial payments on until it launches but don't fully pay it off, what happens after it launches? Do they say "Hey give us the rest of the money for this thing or you can move the pre-order money to something else, or even just take it back!" or can I keep the pre-order money on it for a certain amount of time and pay the rest later, receiving the system after it's paid?

Joeslop on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I played Layton.

Hehe, won't matter, I'm in India till June. That's India, not Indiana. The country in Asia :-D

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    All AR games revealed!
    Fishing and billiards are among six new augmented reality games that will come preloaded on Nintendo 3DS, according to an anonymous source who provided details of five as-yet-unannounced titles to Wired.com.

The glasses-free 3-D portable gaming system launches Saturday in Japan, and AR games are among its most highly anticipated features. While Nintendo has demo’d one of the games, the company has remained mum about the other five.

Speaking anonymously to Wired.com, a source who was provided a preview of the Nintendo 3DS filled us in on the mystery titles in Nintendo’s AR Games line: Fishing, Graffiti, AR Shot, Mii Pics and Star Pics. Our source provided photographs that purport to be from two of the games.

The source said the titles were provided in advance of the 3DS release but were later pulled back by Nintendo. So it is possible that the final lineup may have changed.

You’ll find descriptions of all five launch games below. (Note: The names of each game are descriptive and not necessarily official titles.) Asked Tuesday about the AR Games lineup, a Nintendo of America representative said the company would not comment.

Nintendo’s AR Games for 3DS

AR Shot
    This game is described by our source as a sort of combination of pool and miniature golf. You aim at the ball with a cue stick and hit it around the course, hoping to sink it in the hole at the far end. You can walk around the surface of the table to take shots from different angles. This game was also described in a forum post by a British journalist with a 3DS.

Fishing
    Your table becomes a fishing pond, and you lower and raise your rod into the water to pull out bigger and bigger fish. Eventually, a shark might pop out of the water (and out of your screen using the 3-D effect). Our source was quite impressed with the control of the fishing rod and the visual effects that transform your surface into a pool of water.

Graffiti
    A 3-D drawing application in which you can use several different paintbrushes and other visual effects, including fire. You can then manipulate the resulting 3-D image, using the 3DS buttons to make it spin around or bounce.

Star Pics
    Many of the AR Games, including the one that Nintendo demonstrated to Wired.com, are played using a card with an image of a yellow question mark. Star Pics is played with other cards in the package that feature famous Nintendo characters: Mario, Link, Kirby, Samus Aran and Pikmin.

When you point the 3DS’ cameras at these cards, 3-D models of the characters appear on your table. You can pose them in different positions, then save pictures of scenes you create.

Mii Pics
    Very similar to Star Pics, but it uses Mii caricatures that players make of themselves. (You can import your Miis from your Wii console into your Nintendo 3DS.) Nintendo made an oblique reference to this game in its official 3DS literature, calling it “an interactive photo shoot with your Mii characters.”

arshotsm.jpg

arfishsm.jpg

I love how these warp the surface.

So altogether, the (mini)games included with the 3DS are:

AR Shot
    AR Fishing
    AR Target Shooting
    Face Raiders
    StreetPass Mii RPG
    StreetPass Mii Puzzle

And I'd guess it's likely that Flipnote Studio will be available and still free, unless they're developing a 3D version!

Also, supposedly the first round of review scores from Famitsu, in case anyone cares:

nintendogs + cats (3DS) – 10/9/9/10
    Samurai Warriors: Chronicles (3DS) – 9/9/8/8
    Super Street Fighter IV 3D (3DS) – 9/8/8/9
    PES 2011 3D (3DS) – 8/8/8/8
    Professor Layton and the Mask or Miracle (3DS) – 8/8/8/8
    Ridge Racer 3D (3DS) – 8/8/7/9
    Super Monkey Ball 3D (3DS) – 9/8/8/7
    Shanghai 3D Cube (3DS) – 7/7/7/5
    Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D (3DS) – 6/6/6/6
    Puzzle Bobble 3D (3DS) – 6/6/6/6

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Graffiti sounds like it could be really really neat. 3D drawing? Coooool.

Edit: Also, I've no clue what Famitsu scores are like normaly, is that high? I think I recall somewhere that they were really hard reviewers, but that may have just been on Xbox games :)

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    V Faction wrote: »

The answer is to create games that ignore that struggle completely and are tied to the system. I.E. Pokemon, Professor Layton, and Monster Hunter, all of which are franchises that grew up on the handhelds. They can work in other hardware spaces but they were homegrown (and sell the best) on the devices they originate on. Copying the formula from a port runs into the problems you describe: "If I can get it there, what's the value/incentive to get it here?" And I don't know if there's anything that can compete with the almighty dollar. I mean, what could they add to get the average customer on board for a game like Street Fighter IV 3D besides the bells and whistles of what the 3DS offers?

Speaking of which, I don't know if I mentioned this before, but with the NGP's forray into touchscreen and analog stick controls, I'm anticipating a larger flood of titles that play exactly the same between systems compared to the previous generation. More ports that work across all platforms, in other words. Which is why we're going to need those homegrown titles more than ever to establish a clean dividing line.

Not to nitpick, but Monster Hunter came out on the PS2 in 2004 in it's native japan, and Monster Hunter Freedom came out on the PSP in 2005. The PSP versions are alot better in my opinion, but they were not originally developed, or "home grown", for a portable platform. They are amazing ports of great home console games.

If Monster Hunter Freedom 3 comes out on the 3ds, I will be a very happy early adopter.

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Famitsu reviews are basically composites of four reviewers' scores. Each score is out of 10.

They're not very tough reviewers, as the number of 10/10/10/10s they've given out has been increasing steadily over the years. You may chalk that up to just review score inflation, but there's also been some pretty shady arrangements (i.e. games heavily advertised in Famitsu getting consistently high scores).

That said, I still trust them more than IGN or Gamespot. Is that saying much? Not really.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Famtsu used to sort of be respected for reviews, prior to the DS they had given out like four perfect 10 reviews ever, they were considered to be hard-asses who took their job seriously (also because they are Japanese). Then they gave Nintendogs a perfect 10 and everyone was like "really?" and they started giving 10s to more games and it kinda became apparent that they were becoming the same as IGN and everyone else.

But at least they don't seem to be any worse than your typical review site, nothing wrong with getting their opinions.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Some new Splinter Cell screens from Famitsu.

wpci5.jpg

yypxa.jpgjkXqW.jpg

5qDeo.jpg5KtF2.jpg

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Joeslop wrote: »
    I've never pre-ordered a system, and rarely pre-order games so I have a question!

if I put a pre-order for this in at Gamestop (assuming they even have any left) and put partial payments on until it launches but don't fully pay it off, what happens after it launches? Do they say "Hey give us the rest of the money for this thing or you can move the pre-order money to something else, or even just take it back!" or can I keep the pre-order money on it for a certain amount of time and pay the rest later, receiving the system after it's paid?

You can do the latter. Hell I've seen someone pick up a game they had preordered a year and a half after it was released.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Famtsu used to sort of be respected for reviews, prior to the DS they had given out like four perfect 10 reviews ever, they were considered to be hard-asses who took their job seriously (also because they are Japanese). Then they gave Nintendogs a perfect 10 and everyone was like "really?" and they started giving 10s to more games and it kinda became apparent that they were becoming the same as IGN and everyone else.

But at least they don't seem to be any worse than your typical review site, nothing wrong with getting their opinions.

Aside from the "four tens" issue, I thought as far back as a decade ago they revealed they'd been giving out higher scores to games that had been especially anticipated by their readers or hyped up via marketing, because they felt that reflected the environment into which the game was going to be received. And although it's entirely contrary to the more respected styles of western reviews, they have a point - FFXIII would have been a solid recommendation to many people purely because of the strength of the brand and the demand for a new game in the series at that time, particularly the die-hard fanbase.

So I'd take their scores with a big pinch of salt, but would be more interested in reading their written opinions - as far as I can tell, they're rarely translated. It does reassure me that Monkey Ball isn't horrifically broken or cobbled together, although I doubt it'll be pushing any boundaries.

Just to weigh in on the "iPhone games" thing - I agree that the controls and 3D visuals do add a huge amount of value, perhaps even 20 times as much. But the price difference is insane in Europe - a $1 iPhone game is 59p, but a $40 3DS game is £40 - almost 70 times the cost. I do think that 3DS games will have to work exceptionally hard to justify costing more than most PS3/360 games - they have to offer a comparable length and quality to next-gen titles, or else immediately fall into the bargain bin.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Aside from the "four tens" issue, I thought as far back as a decade ago they revealed they'd been giving out higher scores to games that had been especially anticipated by their readers or hyped up via marketing, because they felt that reflected the environment into which the game was going to be received. And although it's entirely contrary to the more respected styles of western reviews, they have a point - FFXIII would have been a solid recommendation to many people purely because of the strength of the brand and the demand for a new game in the series at that time, particularly the die-hard fanbase.

So I'd take their scores with a big pinch of salt, but would be more interested in reading their written opinions - as far as I can tell, they're rarely translated. It does reassure me that Monkey Ball isn't horrifically broken or cobbled together, although I doubt it'll be pushing any boundaries.

Just to weigh in on the "iPhone games" thing - I agree that the controls and 3D visuals do add a huge amount of value, perhaps even 20 times as much. But the price difference is insane in Europe - a $1 iPhone game is 59p, but a $40 3DS game is £40 - almost 70 times the cost. I do think that 3DS games will have to work exceptionally hard to justify costing more than most PS3/360 games - they have to offer a comparable length and quality to next-gen titles, or else immediately fall into the bargain bin.

Isn't that the case with a lot of games in Europe anyway? I thought I read that Dead Space 2 had already had its price slashed by quite a bit in the UK, and that's only been out for a month.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Joeslop wrote: »

You can do the latter. Hell I've seen someone pick up a game they had preordered a year and a half after it was released.

On a possibly hot item like the 3DS? They'll give you 3 days to pick it up and then move down the preorder list to the next person. Your money will stay on file for a 3DS, and they may return to you when they get more, but there's no guarantee when that is.

No, they will not just sit on stock they can sell forever. Zero's friend was lucky or it was a title that wasn't selling.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Nobody honestly measures all their purchases that way though, by how many "multiples" something costs. Ice cream may be 50 times as delicious as a head of lettuce for the same price but I don't buy 50 times as much ice cream. Maybe Donkey Kong Returns has half as many levels as NSMB on the DS, but it takes me three times as long to beat an average DKR level...so is it worth the $20 premium on the price? Who knows?

I can buy 12 iPhone games or go watch one movie in 3D. Is that worth it? I could buy 10 NES games on VC or one single Wii game. Which is more worth it?

In the end, I don't see buying habits changing much or people "waking up" and realizing how expensive one form of entertainment is and stop buying it altogether.

Of course that doesn't mean it's not interesting to think about or as a point of comparison. :P

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't weigh all of my purchases that way, but I do definitely weigh all of my videogame purchases that way. That's why I rarely buy new $50-$60 games - most of my purchases are stuff like XBLA titles for $10-$15 and slightly older games that have been discounted.

I mean, Mass Effect 2 is commonly considered one of the finest games to have come out last year. Just by waiting several months, you could have gotten it for a mere $10 in the Steam Christmas sale or you could have gotten it for $20 a few months earlier. With deals like that, why pay $50 or $60 for a game unless it's something that you're dying to own?

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    For the most part, I only buy Nintendo's games full price and that's because they almost never drop in price.

Most games though, I agree, I won't pay full price for. In fact, downloadable titles on WiiWare and XBLA have been my go to places if I want a new game to play. They're cheaper and in many cases have a huge amount of playability.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't weigh all of my purchases that way, but I do definitely weigh all of my videogame purchases that way. That's why I rarely buy new $50-$60 games - most of my purchases are stuff like XBLA titles for $10-$15 and slightly older games that have been discounted.

I mean, Mass Effect 2 is commonly considered one of the finest games to have come out last year. Just by waiting several months, you could have gotten it for a mere $10 in the Steam Christmas sale or you could have gotten it for $20 a few months earlier. With deals like that, why pay $50 or $60 for a game unless it's something that you're dying to own?

My time is more valuable than my money. I am lucky enough that I can afford to purchase whatever games I choose; I would rather spend my time playing the ones I really want.

Serule on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Serule wrote: »

My time is more valuable than my money. I am lucky enough that I can afford to purchase whatever games I choose; I would rather spend my time playing the ones I really want.

Same here, but you can still save a lot of money if you're just patient about the games you want to play instead of buying everything Day 1. Heck, oftentimes, you not only save money by waiting, but you get a better experience as well thanks to patches & mods.

Of course, this isn't true of Nintendo since they rarely drop prices unless the game bombs. Which explains why I've purchased very few Nintendo games recently - they make good stuff, but it's rarely as good as 2-3 other good games.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Serule wrote: »

Same here, but you can still save a lot of money if you're just patient about the games you want to play instead of buying everything Day 1. Heck, oftentimes, you not only save money by waiting, but you get a better experience as well thanks to patches & mods.

I mostly agree with you; if it's a choice between a new 'A+' game and an older, cheaper 'A+' game, I'll take the cheaper one. For example - I just got Mass Effect 2 a few months ago, and picked up all the DLC during the 75% off sale.

But you say:
    Of course, this isn't true of Nintendo since they rarely drop prices unless the game bombs. Which explains why I've purchased very few Nintendo games recently - they make good stuff, but it's rarely as good as 2-3 other good games.

Which makes it sound as though you would rather have 2-3 'B' games than one 'A' game, and that I cannot agree with.

Serule on