As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Triple-display Flip phone

wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
I saw a gorgeous flipphone concept and was really amazed by what I saw. I really hope they build this thing. It appears as if it's only renders at this point but I'm still excited by the concept.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxWKR9ajgAI

Renders:
flipphoneidkul15.jpg
flipphoneidkul2.jpg
flipphoneidkul1.jpg

wavecutter on

• Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    okay, um

what?

can someone explain to me the advantage of having three* screens? further, can someone explain the value of having screens that are curved?

oh! you can use your phone as a vase!

yeah

not really seeing the appeal of this

sorry

* edit: okay on closer inspection it looks like this thing only has two screens. still looks pretty bad!

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Concept phones are always so amazing. Sadly, the few of them that get released on the market are always terrible.

Nokia had that one about five years ago which lacked a keypad and just a wheel for input. And the screen doubled up as a lipstick mirror. It was virtually unusable, but it did look quite nice and had a leather back.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    it's probably a conspiracy perpetrated by the cell phone battery industry to increase energy consumption three-fold so they could sell more after-market batteries.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    it's probably a conspiracy perpetrated by the cell phone battery industry to increase energy consumption three-fold so they could sell more after-market batteries.

And there's all that space in the center to shove a battery!

corky842 on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So you mean I have to buy three screen protectors now? Fuck that shit!

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    While the triangular "rotate to scroll" thing is a neat trick, I figure it would be unwieldy in practice. Nokia's smart-materials ultimate flex-phone was a much neater concept to my mind; one giant screen less than a mm thick overall that could be folded into nearly unlimited configurations, including bracelet/watch.

Frankly, the near-field data transfer stuff was more interesting to me than the triangular format.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    AntaresCDAntaresCD Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    I like the concept of having two screens. Things like the Nintendo DS have shown the versatility of that system, especially when coupled with touch screen technology and other bells and whistles we find on modern smart phones.

What I don't see the point of is it's ability to form a triangular tube, seems unwieldy (the rotate to scroll seems neat, but like the poster above, would be unwieldy in practice). Being triangular setup like that seems to also be asking for failure. To be able to rotate in and out like that on multiple joints raises wear and tear and the likely hood of various failures, especially when considering how much more likely someone is to damage it by accident.

Neat concept though. I'd love to see someone actually *try* to make it, so they can take the lessons of what worked and what didn't and incorporate it into the next generation of phones.

AntaresCD on
    My code doesn't have bugs, it has undocumented features!