As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me some Wii games

MonkeyDLuffyMonkeyDLuffy Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
Alright, so. I got a gently-used Nintendo Wii this past Christmas. It came with two Wiimotes + nunchuks (but only one silicon protector), MadWorld, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Band Hero (which I will never play and will most likely just forget about - or use as a coaster, one), Wii Play, Animal Crossing GC, and both Pikmins (standard GC edition, not New Play Control). The Wii did not, however, come with any Gamecube controllers, leaving me with only three actual games I can play. I know the Wii has a good stockpile of games, both high-profile ones that everyone and their grandpa loves and ones that flew a bit under the radar but still have a devoted following. Give me your best suggestions for Wii games. I personally enjoy action games, RPGs, puzzle games, and the odd FPS, but I wouldn't be opposed to a racing game or two (my brother loves them.)

I am very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
MonkeyDLuffy on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well I absolutely recommend picking up Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. For an RPG I'd pick up Fire Emblem. For racing you could always pick up Mario Kart and play that for a few months. :P

For FPS I'd pick up the Metroid Prime Collection if you can find it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Endless Ocean Forever Blue.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Everyone will tell you to get Mario Kart. They are wrong. Excite Truck and Excitebots are the best racing games on the system by a substantial margin. The controls are great, the base boost/trick/cooling mechanics are incredibly well thought out, and the multiplayer is very solid without much of the item-based nonsense in MK.

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This will be blasphemy but Other M wasn't that bad. Anyway, RE4 is actually quite good. MH Tri is nice if you give it the chance.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    Well I absolutely recommend picking up Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. For racing you could always pick up Mario Kart and play that for a few months. :P

Gotta go with these plus Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Monster Hunter Tri is phenomenal. Playing it was the last time I used the Wii for anything but a Netflix box.

Oh, wait, I did buy Other M. I sorta blanked it out, I guess, even after seeing lionheart_m's post.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Everyone will tell you to get Mario Kart. They are wrong. Excite Truck and Excitebots are the best racing games on the system by a substantial margin. The controls are great, the base boost/trick/cooling mechanics are incredibly well thought out, and the multiplayer is very solid without much of the item-based nonsense in MK.

Get the three, they're all great in their own way and excitebots is actually different enough from truck to justify having and playing both.

Also get Goldeneye and Donkey Kong Country.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    FettS1FettS1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'll second both Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, and Donkey Kong Country. Those are some of my favorite games this gen - regardless of system!

Also:
    - Sin & Punishment 2
    - Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

FettS1 on
    Diablo3: FettS1#1626
    PSN: FettS1
    FFXIV: Kashell Valeth
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    For games that are a bit more under the radar....

If you can get past the bad voice acting, Arc Rise Fantasia is a pretty serviceable JRPG. The battle system is a bit more advanced than your standard JRPG, but the plot is really nothing new. Little King's Story is excellent as well and is one of my favorite non-Nintendo Wii games. Otherwise, retail RPGs are kind of weak. Virtual Console has a good amount of RPGs, though. And if it counts, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A King is excellent and very, very addictive.

Puzzle games - go on WiiWare. World of Goo is excellent, Toki Tori is excellent, and the ArtStyle games are very good. I haven't played them, but Art of Balance and Fluidity are supposedly very good as well.

Action games - go on WiiWare, get pretty much everything from the Bit.Trip series, and Cave Story. For retail, you must get Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. Ignore the story and the voice acting, and bask in the glory of superbly designed action.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They are all wildly different genres, but the first games that come to my mind to recommend to people are Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (doesn't require you to play the GameCube game first, although that game was also good), Donkey Kong Country Returns, Zack & Wiki (which I'm surprised nobody else mentioned, seeing you like puzzle games), and either of the Harvest Moon games (including Rune Factory Frontier).

Other games that have been mentioned that are certainly great are the Mario Galaxy games, Smash Bros Brawl, and Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Twilight Princess is also a pretty obvious choice.

Can't help but feel like I'm forgetting something here, though.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you can find it, Sengoku Basara 3 comes heavily recommended.

Also, No More Heroes and its sequel are solid gold.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd also reccomend donkey kong, as well as kirby's epic yarn and madworld if you can track it down

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Endless Ocean Forever Blue.

Also make sure you grab Donkey Kong Country Returns and Kirby's Epic Yarn....both are some of the most enjoyable platformers ever.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Little King's Story.
    Best non-Mario galaxy game on the system. Amazing action-strategy RPG.

Also look at Sin and Punishment 2 and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I still need to find and try Little King's Story myself.

I feel ashamed it's taking me so long. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

And so you should.

It's possibly the most overlooked game of this generation, given it doesn't even have the kind of cult following less-well received and reviewed titles like Alpha Protocol or Nier managed.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Xagarath wrote: »

And so you should.

It's possibly the most overlooked game of this generation, given it doesn't even have the kind of cult following less-well received and reviewed titles like Alpha Protocol or Nier managed.

Heh, I feel that way about Zack & Wiki and A Boy and his Blob.

I hate how overlooked both of these were also.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited January 2011

And so you should.

Heh, I feel that way about Zack & Wiki and A Boy and his Blob.

I hate how overlooked both of these were also.

Both were/are fantastic games, too.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sin and Punishment 2 is one of the best games on the console. Treasure are known for making shooters that are packed with over the top action, and they just cut loose with this title. The original is on the VC and is a worthy purchase as well. $15 is a bargain and a no-brainer at that price.

As for FPS's, Goldeneye and Metroid Prime Trilogy are probably your best bets. MPT is, IMO, the best value on the console. You get all three MP games on one disc with pointer controls. The steelbook case is spiffy as well. It's out of print now, so you'll have to do a little digging to find it. I was at my local KMart last month and they still had a few copies. I haven't played Goldeneye, but those that have seem to have really enjoyed it. It's an update/re-telling of the Goldeneye plot with Daniel Craig as Bond.

Zack and Wiki is a really fun title in the style of classic point and click adventure games. It's use of gesture controls is one of the more original and fun on the console, and the levels have a lot of challenge to them yet never reach controller-tossing levels of frustration.

Half of No More Heroes is really fun. The half where you're killing mans is really bloody good fun; everything else is tedious, poorly implemented garbage. I haven't played the sequel, but apparently the open world stuff was axed?

I really enjoyed NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, but others didn't seem to enjoy it quite as much as I did. The voice over work is annoying and the platforming levels with the kids are lame, but the parts where you play as Nights are really fun.

Resident Evil 4 is a fantastic shooter. The updated controls are some of the best on the console. Amazon has it new for $10, which is a damn bargain.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Some good suggestions already, but here are two games I don't see mentioned so far: Wario Land: The Shake Dimension and Muramasa: The Demon Blade.

Both are absolutely fantastic looking 2D games that are also fun to play. Wario is a pure platformer and I guess you could call Muramasa a beat 'em up.

Peewi on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bullio wrote: »
    Half of No More Heroes is really fun. The half where you're killing mans is really bloody good fun; everything else is tedious, poorly implemented garbage. I haven't played the sequel, but apparently the open world stuff was axed?
    Yeah, the open world stuff was axed in No More Heroes 2. Now you navigate Santa Destroy through a menu.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mentioned twice but the standout you might glance over is Goldeneye. It's nice to have a decent objective-based, stealth-encouraged first-person shooter these days.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bullio wrote: »
    Yeah, the open world stuff was axed in No More Heroes 2. Now you navigate Santa Destroy through a menu.

It should also be noted that the "side jobs" that were like picking up garbage and stuff (which was hilarious in NMH1) is now actually been made into little 8 bit retro style arcade games, which is in fact awesome.

slash000 on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't see it mentioned but Kirbys Epic Yarn is delightful. It's not terribly difficult; some of the later challenges can be on the harder side, but overall it's fun from the top to the bottom and it's non-gamer friendly too with its design and ease of play.

Both of the SMG's are a must have. Don't skip one and get two or vice versa. They both bring more than their share to the table and should be played.

I really enjoyed Twilight Princess but I know it gets ragged on a lot for being too much of the same, as a Zelda..but for me that's kinda the point. Skyward Sword is this year though so if you're not hankering for some adventure you can probably just hold out.

Metroid Prime Trilogy if you like those. Playing the old ones with the wiimote is nice; but I hear it can be hard to find these days.

Boom Blox (or the "sequel") are a ton of fun with people to play with; not terribly engrossing by yourself though. deBlob was a quite good romp...I should finish that some time.

Another game that got (imo unfairly) ragged on was Super Paper Mario since it was a departure from the rpg style of the previous games, but I found it to be wonderful; for many of the same reasons as Kirby. It's really easy to get into and anyone can play it. it's good fun.

Shit anything from nintendo really, you're pretty safe with; except maybe Wii Music. I haven't heard anything good about it really.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lost in Shadow. The plot (such as it is) is nothing great but it's worth it just for the moments of brilliance you get from the gameplay mechanics.

Green on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Considering your username is what it is, I'm going to say that you would probably enjoy One Piece: Unlimited Adventure. You'll have to do some Gamestop hunting to find it though, because it's actually pretty rare. They sell if for $30 used and Amazon wants like $60+.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Gilder wrote: »
    Considering your username is what it is, I'm going to say that you would probably enjoy One Piece: Unlimited Adventure. You'll have to do some Gamestop hunting to find it though, because it's actually pretty rare. They sell if for $30 used and Amazon wants like $60+.

Really? Hmm I wonder if the PAL version is rare...

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:

• Options
    edited January 2011
    It isn't rare at all actually because it never got released! PAL countries got Unlimited Cruise 1 and 2, which were sequels to Adventure. Cruise 1 is rare and 2 is pretty uncommon. NA got Adventure, but we didn't get the Cruise games at all. Even though the Euro release was fully translated except for voices.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It isn't rare at all actually because it never got released! PAL countries got Unlimited Cruise 1 and 2, which were sequels to Adventure. Cruise 1 is rare and 2 is pretty uncommon. NA got Adventure, but we didn't get the Cruise games at all. Even though the Euro release was fully translated except for voices.

Oh I see. Thanks for the info :)

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mentioned twice but the standout you might glance over is Goldeneye. It's nice to have a decent objective-based, stealth-encouraged first-person shooter these days.

You should try out Splinter Cell: Conviction. It's actually really good, and I've never really enjoyed the series before.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! I can see myself building up quite the backlog. I got Muramasa in from Gamefly about a week ago, managed to power through it and finished it just yesterday. Really, really good stuff.
    Gilder wrote:

I remember hearing that there was some weirdness with this game, like they cut stuff out or censored things weirdly or used different voice actors? I can't remember exactly what it was off the top of my head though. I'm assuming it's still a good game despite all that.

MonkeyDLuffy on
    I am very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd like to un-recommend World of Goo (cheaper on PC), Mario Kart (the battle mode is terrible), Super Paper Mario (gaming ambien) and Twilight Princess (get the Gamecube version instead).

Super Mario Galaxy (2) and Sin and Punishment are fantastic. Wario Land is kind of underrated and Fire Emblem is the best RPG on the system.

Moioink on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Moioink wrote: »
    Fire Emblem is the best RPG on the system.
    While Fire Emblem is indeed excellent, I wouldn't call it an RPG, because that term makes people think of Final Fantasy or Mass Effect. It's an SRPG, much like Shining Force.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! I can see myself building up quite the backlog. I got Muramasa in from Gamefly about a week ago, managed to power through it and finished it just yesterday. Really, really good stuff.
    Gilder wrote:

I remember hearing that there was some weirdness with this game, like they cut stuff out or censored things weirdly or used different voice actors? I can't remember exactly what it was off the top of my head though. I'm assuming it's still a good game despite all that.

It's basically uncensored as I can't think of anything removed, but they did use different voices. It came out right when Funimation got the license so it has their people doing it, not the 4Kids group. You'll actually hear the word "Die" get used, so you know it's not 4Kids.

Gilder on
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Moioink wrote: »
    Fire Emblem is the best RPG on the system.
    While Fire Emblem is indeed excellent, I wouldn't call it an RPG, because that term makes people think of Final Fantasy or Mass Effect. It's an SRPG, much like Shining Force.

Final Fantasy and Mass Effect are completely different, yet it's okay to call both of these plain ol' RPG but a distinction has to be made for Fire Emblem? It's like saying Gradius isn't a shooting game but rather a horizontal scrolling shooting game. Sorry but it's really pedantic!

Moioink on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    More importantly, it isn't as good an RPG as LKS.
    Though there's sod all RPGs on the system besides those two and SPM, unless you fancy Sakura Wars.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Gilder wrote:

It's basically uncensored as I can't think of anything removed, but they did use different voices. It came out right when Funimation got the license so it has their people doing it, not the 4Kids group. You'll actually hear the word "Die" get used, so you know it's not 4Kids.

That's good to hear. I couldn't stand 4Kids's dub of One Piece, but Funimation's was top notch. I just hope that whatever copies of it I find aren't too expensive, though...

EDIT: I just searched for Unlimited Adventure on Gamestop. The closest one to me that has a copy is 60 miles away. :|

MonkeyDLuffy on
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Little King's Story.
    Best non-Mario galaxy game on the system. Amazing action-strategy RPG.

Also look at Sin and Punishment 2 and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

Really solid choices there with LKS being my top pick as well. Such a fantastic game.

Kind of a no brainer, but I'm playing Super Mario Galaxy 2 right now, and I'm enjoying the ever loving hell out of it. More so than 1. It's like distilled joy pressed onto a disc. I think it looks pretty gorgeous too.

I also recommend, Donkey Kong Country Returns, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Muramasa and Trauma Team as well.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Silent Hill Shattered Memories is really good if you feel like a horror adventure game.

Goldeneye is a decent FPS, the online might be dead by now though.

Galaxy 1 is amazing, haven't played enough of 2 to comment on it.

If you missed Resident Evil 4 when it was out on GC/PS2, then it's worth tracking down, fantastic game.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Two tips from me:

Silent Hill: shattered memories is not only a pretty decent... ambient game (for the lack of a fitting genre name) but also a game that really cannot exist in this form on any other system. I know theres a PSP port, but im talking about the way the wiimote is being used, it really made me feel like this was what the Wii was made for.

Arc Rise Fantasia is a completely overlooked and underrated gem. On the first glance it looks like your basic Tales game, but I must say it really is much more then that. It's an excellent JRPG and it really makes me feel bad that it got so little attention. I guess that's the problem when you get almost everything right, but nothing completely stands out.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me