As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat] 4.0.6 broke stuff. Some care, others mock them for it. Film at 11

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I already put a post about this on the Hate thread but basically...I think I'm getting to old for tanking anything heroic. I'd rather just suck up the 40 minute queue. I'm not saying ololol make it ROFLstomp easy, maybe it's time to take the hint that the bar is too high for me.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I already put a post about this on the Hate thread but basically...I think I'm getting to old for tanking anything heroic. I'd rather just suck up the 40 minute queue. I'm not saying ololol make it ROFLstomp easy, maybe it's time to take the hint that the bar is too high for me.

Tanking is way easy, it's crappy groups that are stressful!

Walt on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Walt wrote: »
    Just strafe out of Ozruk's hitbox and the shockwave is no problem. Running through him gets you killed because you can be tagged by his hitbox or he will do stupid stuff like turn around and wipe the group.

He's the only hard fight to tank in Cata Heroics and only because his shockwave mechanic is so slapdash.

I don't understand why more tanks don't do this. Seriously, as a Rogue I can tank this guy better than most people (you know, after the tank dies). He's not that hard. You sidestep the shockwave and run out for Shatter. That's the entire fight.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Tanking is way easy, it's herding cats that is stressful!

fix't for the real problem.

Nobody on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, like telling awful melee DPS that they need to run away from the boss and they're like "BUT MY DPS WILL SUXXX". Like the rogue that insisted that he had to DPS on the mace phase of Throngus because it was "free DPS if tank doesn't suk." He finally decided to listen after he got one shot, battle ressed, one shot, and then we wiped and the next encounter he got one shot again and we wiped another time because people didn't understand that cave ins were bad.

But the tank part? Hit boss in the face. Move out of bad things. Run away during mace phase. Which is the same thing the DPS are doing.

Walt on
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My favorite part about that fight is having a priest/warrior/rogue disarm during the two-sword phase.

edit: and life-gripping the grabbed person away from the boss.

Samphis on
    edited January 2011
    Samphis wrote: »
    My favorite part about that fight is having a priest/warrior/rogue disarm during the two-sword phase.

edit: and life-gripping the grabbed person away from the boss.
    I think I love you.

Walt on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, like telling awful melee DPS that they need to run away from the boss and they're like "BUT MY DPS WILL SUXXX". Like the rogue that insisted that he had to DPS on the mace phase of Throngus because it was "free DPS if tank doesn't suk." He finally decided to listen after he got one shot, battle ressed, one shot, and then we wiped and the next encounter he got one shot again and we wiped another time because people didn't understand that cave ins were bad.

But the tank part? Hit boss in the face. Move out of bad things. Run away during mace phase. Which is the same thing the DPS are doing.

Nothing wrong with dpsing during the mace phase if you're paying attention to threat.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Nothing wrong with dpsing during the mace phase if you're paying attention to threat.

Yeah, it's only ever been a problem for me if he picks the Mace first. Otherwise, I've usually got a good threat lead by the second weapon and it's a non-issue.

Bobble on
  • RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There are definitely some heroics on my shit list. Stonecore is probably at the top of that list. Every boss in there does some annoying ass hit that will get you killed either instantly or in less than a second.

Don't have decent AOE for the shards on the first guy good luck. Don't move out of the dust, dead.

Second boss, the fire on the ground will destroy if you aren't careful, if you LOS the shards but aren't far enough away your dead.

Ozruk's abilities have been covered.

And the last boss sucks I just hate that stupid rock floating around. With all the crap that she puts on the ground as well as AOE heals and AOE dps it can be quite difficult to see that patch.

I'm not saying its impossible, but damn it can be frustrating.

RedDawn on
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Heroic difficulty is all over the map for sure. Hopefully the patch tunes it better.

Vortex pinnacle? Hilariously easy as long as the tonado RNG doesn't screw you over. Heroic SFK? First boss (aside from springvale) is the only real pain there.

Hilariously hard? Stone Core is absolutely brutal on tanks, that instance just punishes them the first time they go there. Yeah DPS have some challenges, but really that instance is just mean to tanks with all the mechanics they have to remember, all the adds they need to pick up and all the dancing they have to do. In terms of damage on the tank? Its actually very light from the bosses, so honestly, if you have a good tank who is not well geared I would suggest heroic SC for some of their first heroic instances, all about avoidable damage, actual hits not so much.

Grim Batol is the hardest Heroic in the game, IMO. The bosses all hit like trucks, the mechanics are brutal, dps has to be compotent on the final boss (well all the bosses, but really on the final boss) and the RNG for heroic GB is terribad. Oh hey forgemaster you are phalanxing, but you just cast two cave ins right where you are standing? Time for us all to die? Ok. Uh oh final boss you put the eye of the shadow wawy in the bazck of your room and the two adds spawn on the other side and we have to try and haul ass and kill them before they spawn a ton of adds? Alright. Seriously f heroic Grim Batol. Not to mention getting impaled by forgemaster and not being able to heal with instants.

Lost city of tol vir? Not to bad, some randomness mostly the last boss is a real bastard.

Heroic DM? Very easy with a compotent group, impossible with one or two bad players. Ripsnarl is brutal on dps if they aren't on the ball. The forge can be hell if the person running the vehicle can't control the adds. Brutal insta kill on the nightmare section. Decent dps who can focus fire and avoid fire on the ground? Cake walk.

Heroic throne of the tides? Better pray for a heroic'd out healer or else they will go oom from all of the damage the party takes from bosses.

Heroic BRC? Pretty easy with a good tank. Corla is the only one in there that can break your group for that instance. Honeslty, if you can't absorb the beam without transforming cause you are a gimp, just say so, we can evolve the add and kill it.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The trash and first boss in ToT is worse than stonecore. But still, fuck them both.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited January 2011

Pretty much. Tanks are expected to know how every role is supposed to perform on every boss encounter, and explain it fully, and if you don't it's a wipe and it's the tank's fault.

Nobody on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    The trash and first boss in ToT is worse than stonecore. But still, fuck them both.

That right there. Thank God for my hunter friend. Giblin packs? Send in the pet to suicide and eat all those poison darts. Double Ground Pounders? He kites one while we kill the other. I still despise that trash, but man does the Kamikaze pet make a difference.

Bobble on
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This might just be me when it comes to healing tanks, but I think you are playing a dangerous game if you do not keep a tank at 100% most of the time, because there are some big hits going on in heroics.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow that heroic throne of the tides strat sounds retarded. Burn down the adds cc what you can, its not that hard.

I had a painful GB group where I was the only original member left after a 3 hour tour. Second boss was whipping us because we had a tard mage and he decided to throw in a fuck you bug (he'd go for his shield cone fire attack but not root himself so he'd spin and kill everyone. We wiped a ton on third boss and decided to skip him for the fourth, the mouthbreather mage who was probably a really nice person couldn't understand to stand in the purple and died and we eventually had to kick her for someone competent (I mean seriously? You're a fucking mage getting to one spot should not be hard, I'm a rogue and I still am able to do it).

I have to laugh though it seems most ranged die to aoe spots on the ground and such where as I as a rogue never do.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2011
    Bobble wrote: »

Yeah, it's only ever been a problem for me if he picks the Mace first. Otherwise, I've usually got a good threat lead by the second weapon and it's a non-issue.

For the record, during that run (with the idiot rogue) I was healing. The problem was that the rogue was not only running through fire to DPS the boss, but not using any threat redirection at all. I probably could have saved him with Hand of Salvation but like if you're just going to be an idiot and stand in crap so you can hammer the boss and aggro off the hapless druid tank (who other than threat is doing an okay job) I'm going to let you die because you are a goose. I was pretty frustrated at that point because there is only so much 10k HPS with no overhealing I can sustain before we all inevitably die.

Walt on
    edited January 2011
    Nobody wrote: »

Pretty much. Tanks are expected to know how every role is supposed to perform on every boss encounter, and explain it fully, and if you don't it's a wipe and it's the tank's fault.

At the same time, tanks are hella prima donnaing this expansion, and a lot of the time, don't know fight mechanics, break cc "Because I'm awesome" and on fights that require them specifically to do something they fail and blame the healer or dps (like on karsh).

Also I swear every tank has an interrupt but if I don't hit mine whatever needs to be stopped won't be.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i really dislike the worm boss in stonecore. If you end up in a team with only melee and little to no AoE, those kamikaze bomb shards are a bitch to deal with

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »

At the same time, tanks are hella prima donnaing this expansion, and a lot of the time, don't know fight mechanics, break cc "Because I'm awesome" and on fights that require them specifically to do something they fail and blame the healer or dps (like on karsh).

Also I swear every tank has an interrupt but if I don't hit mine whatever needs to be stopped won't be.

Everyone except paladins... which is changing in the next patch. I've found I need to save my captain america for interrupts because the rogues and shit I've been stuck with are terrible.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bobble wrote: »

That right there. Thank God for my hunter friend. Giblin packs? Send in the pet to suicide and eat all those poison darts. Double Ground Pounders? He kites one while we kill the other. I still despise that trash, but man does the Kamikaze pet make a difference.

I like to bubble up and run in. The tanks are usually very appreciative.

Wavechaser on
    edited January 2011

Wrath effect (bosses can and were aoed down with trash?) + high DPS queue times.

Personally I can't wait until my paladin has access to an off-GCD interrupt next patch.

Nobody on
    edited January 2011

For the record, during that run (with the idiot rogue) I was healing. The problem was that the rogue was not only running through fire to DPS the boss, but not using any threat redirection at all. I probably could have saved him with Hand of Salvation but like if you're just going to be an idiot and stand in crap so you can hammer the boss and aggro off the hapless druid tank (who other than threat is doing an okay job) I'm going to let you die because you are a goose. I was pretty frustrated at that point because there is only so much 10k HPS with no overhealing I can sustain before we all inevitably die.

I'm a rogue, I never stop dpsing on the mace phase as thats the only consistent to get damage phase for that particular boss (shield is too spotty, and swords tanks tend to let him stand there and I get caved in and have to hit from the front or just hit and run because jesus moving him out of a cave in is impossible or something). Never pulled aggro in that phase. Also healers need to realize that dispelling the debuff on the sword phase is a lot fucking easier then trying to heal through it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2011

While this is true, tanks shouldn't necessarily be counted on for the important interrupts because we don't tend to stack hit. We wiped at least once on the second boss of BRC last night because I was the only one interrupting and my mind freeze missed the fear. Super.

Edit: This isn't to say that tanks shouldn't be interrupting, just that relying on them as your only interrupt isn't a great idea.

Grundlestiltskin on
    edited January 2011

Paladin interrupt is on the GCD which makes it kind of suck for the first boss of ToT, but other than that there's not much excuse to not interrupt as a tank.

Walt on
  • BlehBlehAmigaBlehBlehAmiga Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I seriously never had a problem with that boss as a healer, what's so bad? Maybe it helps that I interrupt her and hex a caster add, and interrupt the other chain lightnings if there aren't two CC's, but almost any composition the dungeon finder gives you has at least one interrupt and one cc. Two cc's and it's trivial as long as people don't stand in stuff. No CC's and no interrupts is a pretty rare combo in which case sure it could be a little harder.

What trash is bad? The giblins are annoying but as long as either a tank cooldowns them, or various CC/pets/etc eat some of the first hits they're ok. The guys that pound are only hard if people don't run out of it. The elemental gauntlet is only hard if people don't move through it right and the tank can control that. Purge/dispel/spellsteal on the surge helps a lot but it's doable without.

BlehBlehAmiga on
    ffbe ign: Kas
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Neli wrote: »
    i really dislike the worm boss in stonecore. If you end up in a team with only melee and little to no AoE, those kamikaze bomb shards are a bitch to deal with

So how do you deal with them if you only have melee or little to no AoE?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited January 2011

Wrath effect (bosses can and were aoed down with trash?) + high DPS queue times.

Personally I can't wait until my paladin has access to an off-GCD interrupt next patch.

Yeah I understand why, but tanks tend to go "Fuck you dps hit harder" all the while leaving bosses in aoe, or hilariously enough standing in fire and dying.

Not unique to tanks though, lost a healer on the first boss of GB because he died to the blitz, I guess someone was supposed to hack his account and move his dumb ass out of it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Prices for low level herbs are insane. 80 gold a stack for StrangleKelp? STRANGLEKELP?

trying to level alchemy on my 57 rogue and I am just farming the herbs myself. Who is paying these prices? Please stop so the economy for leveling herbs will be reasonable.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    korodullin wrote: »

Just about all meele have aoe dps, except maybe cat druids? Am I the only rogue who remembers FoK? I mean as an assassination with deadly on my off thats where I can really pad those dps numbers.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2011
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    Prices for low level herbs are insane. 80 gold a stack for StrangleKelp? STRANGLEKELP?

trying to level alchemy on my 57 rogue and I am just farming the herbs myself. Who is paying these prices? Please stop so the economy for leveling herbs will be reasonable.

Why should they stop? Gouge people with more money then time to farm them. Its a great way for a newer player/alt to make money for an epic flyer. My wife sold off her excess herbs while leveling and shortly after dinging picked up master flight training.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cats have Swipe, which I think is exactly like FoK. Energy intensive, no cooldown.

Blurbl on
  • CalixtusCalixtus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There is a difference between not stopping DPS while the tank is unable to generate threat because you're watching your threatmeter and you know that things'll be fine anyway, and not stopping DPS because threat is clearly a tank problem, and in either case, it's of lesser importance than watching my DPS meter.

Dying to overaggro is very, very, rarely the tanks fault (notable cases where this is indeed a tank issue includes "Oh fuck, forgot righteous fury" or "ah, unholy presence"). Conversely, dying to an enrage timer (or healers going OOM) because your DPS had to hold back due to aggro issues, is always a tank issue.

Calixtus on
    -This message was deviously brought to you by:
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    korodullin wrote: »

Hope one of your melee DPS is a frost DK? :P

I'm not sure, to be honest. I play a 'lock and consequently have always brought enough AoE myself to handle all of the shards. I'm not 100% sure how the shard mechanics work though. I'm not sure if they blow up if anyone gets near them or just if they get near the person they have locked on to (seem to lock on to whoever is closest to them when they spawn). So I'm not sure if a melee DPS could charge in and blow them up or not. It's never come up for me, personally.

Inquisitor on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Why should they stop? Gouge people with more money then time to farm them. Its a great way for a newer player/alt to make money for an epic flyer. My wife sold off her excess herbs while leveling and shortly after dinging picked up master flight training.

What I think is a more reasonable complaint, is truegold that sells for less on the AH than its components. I'm sure part of that is due to transmute procs making the input cost per bar in the longrun, cheaper, but considering the hefty profit margin that should go into creating them normally(100g cost to get a transmute made?), it ticks me off that I see them selling for 100g less than component cost.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited January 2011
    Septus wrote: »

What I think is a more reasonable complaint, is truegold that sells for less on the AH than its components. I'm sure part of that is due to transmute procs making the input cost per bar in the longrun, cheaper, but considering the hefty profit margin that should go into creating them normally(100g cost to get a transmute made?), it ticks me off that I see them selling for 100g less than component cost.

Seems like it'd be a good opportunity to buy/relist, assuming demand is high enough.

Grundlestiltskin on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah endgame mats are always fucked up price wise. Way cheaper then their previous options. Like fucking khorium. Made jeeves over the weekend had to spend 2 hours flying over outland (found a nice instant death spot between shadow moon valley and hellfire, and by nice I mean FUCK YOU!!!!!), because I was fucking damned if I was dropping 500 gold on khorium. Titansteel was cheaper by far.

As far as energy cost, on the add phase on most bosses you aren't exactly using your energy for anything, and even if its to take out shards, group survival is better then another hit on the boss.

Also fuck the alliance elders. Jesus you guys have it a lot god damn easier then the horde. Ironforge alone is ridiculous.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

:oops:

I'm guilty of this a lot. I even go out of my way to break CC sometimes. A few times I've said "Shit, I hope the healer can handle this" as I pop Last Stand + Enraged Regeneration.

But as a Tank, I think I appreciate other good Tanks the most. Last night I had to PUG a Tank for BoT. There are some Mobs in there that are immune to most/all CC, and he would notice that they can't be CCed right away and pick them up for me without having to be told. He would always pick up the target(s) I didn't have and never let anything run wild. He was a pleasure to Tank with, and we got into a nice groove where He'd be tanking something and I'd grab the next kill target. When I'd be tanking something he would grab the next kill target. Made the trash groups go pretty quickly. I was very thankful, as PUG players usually give me headaches with their PvP Gear, Bought Epics and not listening to their own advice about getting out of fire.

Buddies on
    edited January 2011
    What I hate with the "Fuck cc I can tank it all" often times the mob cc'd is an aoe'r so while the tank can live through it, as a meele dps I'm eating aoes so he can stroke his epeen. Its like a tank in heroic lost city who wouldn't move the guys out of their earthquake, had to just step back and jerk off I guess.

Another thing if you have to kick a dps, when you get another one mention what happened if only briefly. I do it with healers and tanks so they know the group isn't shit awful, but it really helps when I join after a 30+ wait and know "Ok I'm filling in for the weak link".

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, our group makes it a point to keep mobs with annoying powers (AoEs, polymorphs, heals, silences, transformations, etc) CCd so we don't have to deal with whatever power they have for the majority of the fight.

Tanks that break CC get one warning and then get votekicked. Got a zero tolerance policy for that kinda tomfoolery.

Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.