As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat] 4.0.6 broke stuff. Some care, others mock them for it. Film at 11

• CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Boots as well. And plate classes, and an extension, plate tanks have a lot of purps from rep vendors. Especially since they are all crit capped with talents and stats are king.

Plate tanks get boots, cloak and bracers. They also sort of get a belt except it has a lot of crit on it, still reforged its better than the heroic belts.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arrath wrote: »
    dumb question but where does the wow folder go in windows 7?

I pulled the whole folder to a storage drive then did a fresh install on my system drive now I want to put it back.

Anywhere you want it to go. It doesn't add anything to the registry that points to certain paths, its a totally mobile installation. I ran mine right off my desktop for a while.

Oh cool. that's one less worry and fresh install I have to do

initiatefailure on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is there no current WoW Mage thread?

L|ama on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    L|ama wrote: »
    Is there no current WoW Mage thread?

There was, but it hit 100 pages and noone created a new one.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just had a draw in the arena, which I didn't even know was possible.

Apparently it counts it as a loss for both sides. :(

Inquisitor on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    There are no draws in BG nor Arena: both sides just lose.

I assume this is to prevent any sort of purposeful draws for a moderate, yet guaranteed reward.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There are no winners in arena either. Like in games of Tic-Tac-Toe or Global Thermonuclear War, the only true way to win WoW arenas (and WoW pvp generally) is to not play*.
    *Unless you are a druid, frost mage, or unholy death knight. But come on, you have more self-respect than to abuse that power, don't you?

grrarg on
    edited January 2011
    I dunno, we are getting our 5 wins for the week pretty easy as a destro lock and a frost DK right now. I think we went 5-5 this week? Stupid draw! :P

Keep in mind this is with both of us wearing pretty much just our PvE gear (I picked up my pvp trinket 3 wins into this current week, to give you an idea of how non-pvp geared we are right now). So, assuming you are just trying to get conquest capped to get gear like we are the arena is pretty fun times really.

Inquisitor on
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I dunno, we are getting our 5 wins for the week pretty easy as a destro lock and a frost DK right now. I think we went 5-5 this week? Stupid draw! :P

Keep in mind this is with both of us wearing pretty much just our PvE gear (I picked up my pvp trinket 3 wins into this current week, to give you an idea of how non-pvp geared we are right now). So, assuming you are just trying to get conquest capped to get gear like we are the arena is pretty fun times really.

I'm trying to go for a title this season and I still think it's incredibly fun to play.

Anyways god I can't wait for the next patch. It gives Alchemy a new BiS trinket for mages since the trinket will give +351 intellect + another 200 or so mastery or haste. That combined with Heroic Theralion's Mirror will make those two trinkets BiS, which makes me happy since I've always been an Alchemist.

Oghulk on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, we are considering getting more serious about it once we get geared up, but neither us feel like suffering PUGs for BGs so our rate of gear acquisition is pretty capped by arenas.

Though I guess once you are conquest capped you can keep doing arenas for more honor, eh?

Inquisitor on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Does anyone else have an issue in Stonecore with Millhouse being a total cock on the last trash pull before Coreberus, or whatever the giant worm thing is that's the first boss?
    Like, he would keep resetting. Going out of combat, healing up to full, and then he'd be hit by someone, pulling him and the rest of the trash. WTF?

Also. I spent a little bit of time, and improved my gears a bit. It's actually making a huge difference as others have said. I now steadily pull 12k+ DPS on a boss as Elemental, and that's half-asleep. A couple years' worth of dailies in each zone and several million runs I'm sure I could be good enough to look at raids. Maybe, just maybe, even consider healing again...

L Ron Howard on
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arrath wrote: »
    dumb question but where does the wow folder go in windows 7?

I pulled the whole folder to a storage drive then did a fresh install on my system drive now I want to put it back.

Anywhere you want it to go. It doesn't add anything to the registry that points to certain paths, its a totally mobile installation. I ran mine right off my desktop for a while.

Oh cool. that's one less worry and fresh install I have to do

I think the default location is C:\Users\Public\Games.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
    edited January 2011
    The lower ratings of Arena are awful. If you have brains, you should have no problem winning to cap.

I think we went 9-1 or something crazy the first week.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow that heroic throne of the tides strat sounds retarded. Burn down the adds cc what you can, its not that hard.

I had a painful GB group where I was the only original member left after a 3 hour tour. Second boss was whipping us because we had a tard mage and he decided to throw in a fuck you bug (he'd go for his shield cone fire attack but not root himself so he'd spin and kill everyone. We wiped a ton on third boss and decided to skip him for the fourth, the mouthbreather mage who was probably a really nice person couldn't understand to stand in the purple and died and we eventually had to kick her for someone competent (I mean seriously? You're a fucking mage getting to one spot should not be hard, I'm a rogue and I still am able to do it).

I have to laugh though it seems most ranged die to aoe spots on the ground and such where as I as a rogue never do.

I'm glad most people are saying this. My life as a tank is stressful enough as it is without thinking I've been doing it wrong and punishing groups.

I AM curious as to something though. The queue time for heroics on my server for dps versus normal modes is almost a 20 minute difference. 40+ minutes for heroics and 20+ for normal mode. And it seems to be the tank thats missing so I'm curious if tanks are quitting after normal modes or whats going on there.

Nyht on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nyht wrote: »
    Wow that heroic throne of the tides strat sounds retarded. Burn down the adds cc what you can, its not that hard.

I had a painful GB group where I was the only original member left after a 3 hour tour. Second boss was whipping us because we had a tard mage and he decided to throw in a fuck you bug (he'd go for his shield cone fire attack but not root himself so he'd spin and kill everyone. We wiped a ton on third boss and decided to skip him for the fourth, the mouthbreather mage who was probably a really nice person couldn't understand to stand in the purple and died and we eventually had to kick her for someone competent (I mean seriously? You're a fucking mage getting to one spot should not be hard, I'm a rogue and I still am able to do it).

I have to laugh though it seems most ranged die to aoe spots on the ground and such where as I as a rogue never do.

I'm glad most people are saying this. My life as a tank is stressful enough as it is without thinking I've been doing it wrong and punishing groups.

I AM curious as to something though. The queue time for heroics on my server for dps versus normal modes is almost a 20 minute difference. 40+ minutes for heroics and 20+ for normal mode. And it seems to be the tank thats missing so I'm curious if tanks are quitting after normal modes or whats going on there.

My guild's tanks got geared up from heroics in the first few weeks and have stayed away from them as much as humanly possible since then.

Because really, if you don't need shit from heroics, there's very little reason to go through the frustration.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    edited January 2011
    Unless you're burning through raids, heroics are your only source of Valor. Which really sucks, as I have no need for justice points and yet I have to through heroics.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Unless you're burning through raids, heroics are your only source of Valor. Which really sucks, as I have no need for justice points and yet I have to through heroics.

Yeah, but you only need to do that ONCE a day.

When I'm on my tank on Normals I am generally doing at least a handful for rep/loot. I just -need- more.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I certainly know of tanks, that no longer what to tank heroics because at the end of the day of work, they don't want to hit a heroic in the LFD that could just be a mess.

And I certainly know of tanks that don't hit the LFD system on their own. They usually take in a few people they know, and that usually involves dps; if other tanks are doing this, then it obviously means there's less dps slots available.

eg: did heroic stonecore last night with a guild healer, tank and dps, so that was 4 of us, with only one slot free for pug dps.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
    edited January 2011
    Didn't really think about it but that makes sense. I actually just swore off heroics unless its tues-fri when i can do it with guildies (maybe with a free dps/healer slot available). Having reliable dps/cc seems to be a big deal between clearing the dungeon in an hour or less or bashing my head for 2 hours. If others are doing this too then I guess it would make sense that heroics are suffering as they are.

That being said, I'll be honest in saying I miss the SHORTER dungeon runs of Wrath. I'm oky doky with the difficulty of these dungeons but even if you're all synced up perfectly with your group, none of them I've had take less than 30-40 minutes. Shortest dungeon might be HoO because you can skip 4 of the bosses if you're after just the valor points.

Back in Wrath, most took no longer than 20 minutes. But maybe thats because we could steamroll through everything without trying.

I miss out on 3 days worth of valor points but honestly, this is supposed to be fun and a game for me. Those 3 days pugging it usually makes me hate the game and valor points so I just can't find the drive to do it. We're raiding a bit anyway so that helps to make up for some of it I guess.

Nyht on
    edited January 2011
    Blizzard screwed the pooch and didn't do what the said they would do: remove the daily aspect of rewards from heroics so players can set their own schedule for their weekly VP.

The cap hardly helps this: unless you are doing 25mans, you will still have to spend most of your week doing heroics in order to hit the cap. I don't know why there cannot be a subcategory for the VP cap that shows how much of your VP can come from heroics. Once you hit that cap (490), the randoms will then switch to the standard JP reward.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited January 2011
    Blizzard screwed the pooch and didn't do what the said they would do: remove the daily aspect of rewards from heroics so players can set their own schedule for their weekly VP.

The cap hardly helps this: unless you are doing 25mans, you will still have to spend most of your week doing heroics in order to hit the cap. I don't know why there cannot be a subcategory for the VP cap that shows how much of your VP can come from heroics. Once you hit that cap (490), the randoms will then switch to the standard JP reward.

Do 25 mans give more VP for raid bosses than 10 mans?

EDIT: Also, after reading the HATE/LOVE thread, are any of the 40min+ que people in here on Moonguard?

Nyht on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i also agree that the difficulty of heroics is just fine, but the length is just not. Some dungeons have far too much trash

I wish Blizzard would release a dungeon with no trash at all and just 7 long and difficult bossfights instead in their next dungeon release

I never did anything in Wrath, and I heard they had a raid with basically no trash in it and people hated it. Why was that?

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Back in Wrath, most took no longer than 20 minutes. But maybe thats because we could steamroll through everything without trying.

Its probably worth noting that plenty of wrath heroics were just as time consuming during the first tier of raid content. The heroics certainty weren't as hard on average, but plenty of pugs struggled wit UP, oculus, HOL, and timed strat.

The 20 minute lolaoe heroic for pugs didn't become a standard until t8/t9 gear was available for heroic badges.
    Neli wrote: »
    i also agree that the difficulty of heroics is just fine, but the length is just not. Some dungeons have far too much trash

I wish Blizzard would release a dungeon with no trash at all and just 7 long and difficult bossfights instead in their next dungeon release

I never did anything in Wrath, and I heard they had a raid with basically no trash in it and people hated it. Why was that?

I think it had less to do with the trash and more to do with fighting a few uninspired bosses in a single room. It was about as lazy blizzard as content has ever been, and was a huge letdown after ulduar was kind of a breakthrough for them.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • BlehBlehAmigaBlehBlehAmiga Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Conquest points for dummies - What do you need to do to get the cp cap? Is it just 5 wins even with a fresh team? Or do you even need to win? Then what, weapon in 2 weeks? I haven't really followed it since I lost interest in WoW PvP a long time ago, but feel like I should probably grind up a weapon or two.

BlehBlehAmiga on
    ffbe ign: Kas
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Halicyon the unpuggable? is that the raid with no trash? I thought the goal of it was to give people an alternative to Icecrown

As for the wait I really have not done a dungeon since 85 I just goof off doing dailies and Archaeology
    as well as do a lap or two collecting ore

Brainleech on
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

ToC? It was ok I suppose. After Ulduar, which was probably the best raid instance of that expansion, anything after that would always feel like a let-down.

If people hated ToC, it wasn't because of a lack of trash. Maybe because it was a bit half arsed and rushed out as Blizzard realised they needed to put in another tier of raiding content between Ulduar and ICC.

But yes, some heroics could cut out about half of the trash pulls.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Conquest points for dummies - What do you need to do to get the cp cap? Is it just 5 wins even with a fresh team? Or do you even need to win? Then what, weapon in 2 weeks? I haven't really followed it since I lost interest in WoW PvP a long time ago, but feel like I should probably grind up a weapon or two.

Yeah, just 5 wins to hit cap no matter the rating. 1343 points to cap until your rating gets +1550 and it is usually 2 weeks for a one-hander and 3 weeks for a two-hander.

Tyberius on
  • WizballWizball Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Five wins. No deductions for losing. Well, if you get your rating up, the cap gets higher, but that's unlikely to happen if you have no interest in pvp.

But you must win. You may have to lose a few to get down to the really sucky teams to get the wins, though. You start with a matchmaking rating of 1500 and at that level most have pvp gear atleast.

You can get a onehander in two weeks, 9 wins I think. You can spend the points as soon as you win them. Twohanders are three weeks. Off-hands less than a week.

Wizball on
  • WizballWizball Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I only went in there once, when a friend needed a warm body, but I think the worst part was people felt compelled to do it four times each week. 25 and 10 and heroic and non-heroic, I think.

Wizball on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Speaking of Ulduar, it was kind of a lot better than ICC. I regret not getting to raid it when it was fresh since I wasn't playing WoW in Wrath, but I recently went back in there for an achievement run and the place was really neat. Visually it looked great, and the story it told to the very end was awesome.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If ICC could have kept up the same quality they set with the 5 mans and the opening section it could have been great but once you get inside the upper parts it all seemed to fall apart. So far the cata raids seem better than that, and hopefully future raids can reach the Ulduar/Karazhan gold standard.

-SPI- on
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

As a guild MT, I basically rotate through guildies running them through heroics for the Valors. I have long since stopped needing any Justice Points except for maybe some +xp gear for alts.

We'll pug occasionally, but yeah, I figure most tanks are doing this. Just stay in the safety of guild groups or healers who aren't badly geared.

I tried to RDF yesterday due to being home from work and bored. First healer was all crit gear..again :(. Not even PvP gear. Couldn't keep me up against two of the sword wielding dudes in heroic vortex Pinnacle. I mean, really?

Later that night, we had to pug healers, but still, 3 dps + guild tank = ez heroic if the healer is not all +crit no spirit.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    -SPI- wrote: »
    If ICC could have kept up the same quality they set with the 5 mans and the opening section it could have been great but once you get inside the upper parts it all seemed to fall apart. So far the cata raids seem better than that, and hopefully future raids can reach the Ulduar/Karazhan gold standard.

Some of the fights were interesting and fun. Though some had stupid one-shot mechanics that if someone fucked up you were toast. I remember solo tanking the blood princes from 50% to 0 and that was lucky as shit that the shadow guy didn't get enraged again.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Blackwing Depths Trash Breakdown:

Magmaw the Buttworm:
    2 trash pulls. First pull is a solo pull, second pull is two linked mobs that require a small amount of strategy.

Onmitron Robots:
    1 trash pull. 2 mobs with a few different abilities. Chain lightning, Red spotlights that are oh-so-fun to stand in, stuff like that.

As you make your way around the second level there are:
    2 or 3 packs of 1 Drakonid and 2 baby Chromaggus and
    2 dragon 'mini-bosses'

Maloriak:
    No trash, yay!

Atramedes:
    That most difficult trash we have seen so far. 2 groups of 4 Dwarven Spirits. They each have a unique ability, and when one dwarf dies, the remaining dwarves are granted his ability.

Chimaeron:
    No trash, I think.

So that's like 10 trash pulls for the entire dungeon. That is not a lot of trash.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    People in pugs keep having hilarious names. Like a paladin healer last night named "usuck" who was terrible, we got 3 bosses in heroic Hoo and I felt that was pushing it. Though that group showed how easy Hoo was to me as we had to four man the first boss after a balanace druid couldn't get out of the fire. I mean honestly guys, a huge fucking beam comes down and and zaps the ground leaving fire, how do you miss that?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2011
    Also trash is not very plentiful in cata, only dungeon I can think of with more trash then it needs is VP. The rest are a few pulls and then the boss. Compare that to UP, drakthorn, Gundrak, halls of stone etc etc. And lets not forget BC instances that were all trash.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I ran so many heroics to gear up on my healer and I will say the gear level and skill of basically all PUGs has increased dramatically since the first couple of weeks.

Of course there are still people who are terrible, etc, but now it seems that even if one person cheated the ilevel the others in the group at least know the fight and have semi decent gear. No more zoning in and seeing a tank with 120k hp or dps in WOTLK purples. So, at least from my perspective as a healer, people are doing less stupid stuff and have generally better dps and mitigation do to gear. So, pug heroics are getting less painful, but they can still be bad if you get unlucky, however I think you will see less of this as people get even more geared, etc.

Knowing the fights makes a huge difference and usually people know what they are doing. The worst are the people who know the fight and understand the mechanics but choose to just try and do LEET dps anyway, instead of killing the adds etc. I feel like most of the original bad people were just undergeared and ignorant, but now most of the bad people are failing because of a conscious decision.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also trash is not very plentiful in cata, only dungeon I can think of with more trash then it needs is VP. The rest are a few pulls and then the boss. Compare that to UP, drakthorn, Gundrak, halls of stone etc etc. And lets not forget BC instances that were all trash.

Thone of the Tides. Stonecore.

But yeah, if you want a dungeon with 7 bosses and no trash, go to Halls of Origination :P It's still too long :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited January 2011
    Both of those have less trash then UK or UP, or hell even Violet hold.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yes, but they have way more than they need :P

Anyways, I took a close look at the Valor Point vendor last night. Yeaaaah, terrible selection. I mean, the three tier pieces - I already have an epic chest and gloves (the tier chest is better, but mine is getting sockets next patch at which point I wonder if it will be), and pants drop from BH so I'm iffy if I want to grab those just yet. And I already have way better epic boots than the valor point ones. Basically I really don't want to replace epic with epic at this point when I've still got rare slots. Those are barely an upgrade.

I *guess* I will pick up the cloak, but I have a feeling that will be replaced soon too once we progress a bit more in BRD (third boss drops one that's comparable, but I guess it's not a huge difference stat-wise).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
This discussion has been closed.