As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat] 4.0.6 broke stuff. Some care, others mock them for it. Film at 11

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I do have to laugh that people complain about these heroics being too hard when icc 5 mans had the same issue that you couldn't easily overgear them and frequently people would leave the instance as soon as it put you in there. Especially halls of reflection.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    I do have to laugh that people complain about these heroics being too hard when icc 5 mans had the same issue that you couldn't easily overgear them and frequently people would leave the instance as soon as it put you in there. Especially halls of reflection.

ICC 5 mans can go to hell. They were too hard for the gear level Blizzard let people in with. At one point I think I got Halls of Reflection like 8 times in a row. That was the most depressing week ever. Also Pit of Sauron had way too much god damn trash. That was the worst one.

TBH, I actually liked Halls of Reflection if the group was not retarded. But 99% of the time it was.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited January 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »

ICC 5 mans can go to hell. They were too hard for the gear level Blizzard let people in with. At one point I think I got Halls of Reflection like 8 times in a row. That was the most depressing week ever. Also Pit of Sauron had way too much god damn trash. That was the worst one.

TBH, I actually liked Halls of Reflection if the group was not retarded. But 99% of the time it was.

But again it was from people being the failtastic jerkwads they are now. Like HoR was tough if your dps didn't focus fire on the hard hitting mobs/healer didn't los the ranged/people stood in shit (though honestly after the cata set up patch broke ground textures this wasn't exactly someones fault). It was a precursor to the suck we see now.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I enjoyed HHoR like the two times I did it with guildies.

Nearly every time I got it in a solo queue pug though, people would bail on the group, so we never really even got to attempt it.

Oh, but I guess there was the one time we got a newish tank who didn't have a strong idea on how to do it, but we walked him through it and we got through it, and I actually enjoyed it a bit.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When tier 12 comes out and the T11 goes on the JP vendor and people start picking up that gear you will see a lot of the complaining go away. While it certainly won't go back to the faceroll that the end of wrath was the difference in gear is big enough that it will help things a lot. That combined with
    1. people wanting to farm the shiny new JP epics
    2. VP reset and people wanting to restock VP
    3. New 5 man content (?)

should help bring more people into the queue which will hopefully help to balance things.

Mutilate on
    edited January 2011
    Exactly, there is no apples to apples comparison for the LFG right now. LFG came to wrath after heroics were already softened by gear creep. I mean when I tanked heroics back in the pre lfg days you'd do the daily heroic quest and that was fucking it. If it was halls of stone or occulus you didn't go.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I disliked two things of the ICC 5 mans the Hell Hill in the Pit of Saron and waves of tricky trash in the Halls of reflection

What is odd is people would do Occulus or Halls of Stone when they popped up as the daily on Windrunner It was the timed part of the Culling they were elisit jerks on

Brainleech on
  • MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I liked the ICC 5 mans. FoS still remains one of my fav 5 mans. I did get burnt out on PoS when I was running it daily on my hunter for that dumb rung off Tyrannus. Even HoR was not too bad assuming people were geared for it. It was pretty brutal when it first came out though.

Mutilate on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just hated the people who insited we kill the trash on Hell Hill or if everyone chose to ride past them 3 out of 5 times someone would mess it up

I just hated the tricky trash because someone would dps the hunter or the warrior and not the rogue or o so annoying priest or remain in the open when everyone else dove into cover

Brainleech on
  • simsim Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I loved ICC5s...especially the bits that everyone else seemed to hate. Skipping hell hill was lame. HHoR was so easy. I'd steamroll it as a tank with groups who complained that I was their 5th tank. The only lame part was that the door didn't open between the first two bosses.

sim on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know what happened. I'm completely terrible at this game now.

I would say it was because I was gone for 9 months or so, but still... I should have gotten back into the groove by now.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What's the current PvE state of the pet classes in the game? Both the Hunter and Warlock Battle.net forums are full of people complaining about PvP.

I hate arena and do the occasional BG when bored but my main focus is on PvE content. Are both classes still decent for this? Is one better than the other? Why?

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PierceNeck wrote: »

I would say it was because I was gone for 9 months or so, but still... I should have gotten back into the groove by now.

Oh man. Nine months? Basic changes: You have to cc trash most of the time. You can't stand in stuff that damages you and get healed through it. Healers have to conserve mana. Many bosses have don't-fuck-this-up-even-once-or-you-wipe mechanics so you have to at least get a briefing on any bosses you haven't faced before. AOE is weaker than it was. Everything that can be interrupted should be, and sometimes _has_ to be.

In short, everyone has to be doing everything right instead of just the tank or the healer. So it may not really be you; if your group can't pull together and work as a team every pull is going to be rough.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is it wrong that the only thing I want to know on this Tuesday from work is....

1). Did the server patch or was it a normal maintenance?

2). What 3 drakes are up for Halfus?

Our first Halfus week had Slate/Storm/Time, which after reading about, I am convinced is the absolute worst. Especially with weakly geared healers.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Basren DragonsnackBasren Dragonsnack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tw4win wrote: »
    What's the current PvE state of the pet classes in the game? Both the Hunter and Warlock Battle.net forums are full of people complaining about PvP.

I hate arena and do the occasional BG when bored but my main focus is on PvE content. Are both classes still decent for this? Is one better than the other? Why?

Hunters (specced Survival) are the strongest DPS class in the game right now. They're getting nerfed in the next though.

Destro Locks are also considered some of the best DPS in the game right now, with Affliction not far behind them

Basren Dragonsnack on
    PSN: Scotty85
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    Bobble wrote: »
    That right there. Thank God for my hunter friend. Giblin packs? Send in the pet to suicide and eat all those poison darts. Double Ground Pounders? He kites one while we kill the other. I still despise that trash, but man does the Kamikaze pet make a difference.

It's hilarious to have a priest MC some mob there. SPLAT.

Echo on
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Survival Hunters, Affliction and Destruction Warlock's are very respectable in the DPS department in Raids. They are all in the top 5 DPS specs with Survival right now as #1 contender for best Raid DPS on stateofdps.com going up against Unholy DKs.

Marksman Hunters and Beast Master Hunters bring up the rear as the 2 worst possible DPS specs in the game at the moment. Doing almost LESS THAN HALF of the DPS of their Survival Brothers.

The patch will hopefully change all of this, but Marks and Beast need to have their DPS almost doubled to be able to compete in top 5.

Buddies on
    edited January 2011
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Our first Halfus week had Slate/Storm/Time, which after reading about, I am convinced is the absolute worst. Especially with weakly geared healers.

I would agree with that being the worst possible Drake combination for normal modes. Especially for 10 man groups.

A paladin in the group though would make it a lot easier than a group without a paladin.

Edit: I too am eagerly waiting to find out what 3 Drakes are up. Through what other people are getting (usually the same) to actually going in and using the dream potion to check it out for realsies. Here's hoping it is Welps, Time and Nether/Slate

Buddies on
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    tarnok wrote: »
    You have to cc trash most of the time.

Last night I ran regular Stonecore on my mage and kept getting yelled at for CCing mobs. The best part was we wiped when I didn't, so the healer told me to keep on CCing.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
    edited January 2011

Last night I ran regular Stonecore on my mage and kept getting yelled at for CCing mobs. The best part was we wiped when I didn't, so the healer told me to keep on CCing.

Yeah my wife has that on her warlock. She'll banish an ele and someone will bitch. Look asshole one less thing beating on you, stfu!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Buddies wrote: »

I would agree with that being the worst possible Drake combination for normal modes. Especially for 10 man groups.

A paladin in the group though would make it a lot easier than a group without a paladin.

Edit: I too am eagerly waiting to find out what 3 Drakes are up. Through what other people are getting (usually the same) to actually going in and using the dream potion to check it out for realsies. Here's hoping it is Welps, Time and Nether/Slate

The thing with slate (at least when it was slate/storm/time) that made the fight really easy for our ten man was just to never release slate and just do tank swaps when the stacks got to high. Slate himself hits insanely hard. We got Halfus down on our first try using that strategy.

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2011

Oh man. Nine months? Basic changes: You have to cc trash most of the time. You can't stand in stuff that damages you and get healed through it. Healers have to conserve mana. Many bosses have don't-fuck-this-up-even-once-or-you-wipe mechanics so you have to at least get a briefing on any bosses you haven't faced before. AOE is weaker than it was. Everything that can be interrupted should be, and sometimes _has_ to be.

In short, everyone has to be doing everything right instead of just the tank or the healer. So it may not really be you; if your group can't pull together and work as a team every pull is going to be rough.
    It's not so much that, though it has me terrified of using the LFD tool because of the nightmares I've heard about with pugs. But really, it's more like something's just not "clicking" anymore. Like I can't get myself dialed in anymore or something. I'm probably explaining it in a really dumb way.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yeah my wife has that on her warlock. She'll banish an ele and someone will bitch. Look asshole one less thing beating on you, stfu!

I had some dps bitch me out in a norm the other day because I broke CC while grinding some rep. Then he saw my gear and shut up.

Jubal77 on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

It's not so much that, though it has me terrified of using the LFD tool because of the nightmares I've heard about with pugs. But really, it's more like something's just not "clicking" anymore. Like I can't get myself dialed in anymore or something. I'm probably explaining it in a really dumb way.

I felt the same way when i picked up healing again (I had been a mainspec healer since the launch of Vanilla, but stopped raiding and healing halfway through Ulduar). I felt like a terrible healer even running normal instances in heroic gear; my instinct for anticipating incoming damage was gone, keybindings seemed awkward, I couldn't seem to balance throughput and mana efficiency at all and my reactions seemed extremely slow. Basically nothing felt natural anymore. For a while I blamed Cataclysm and the class changes, but in the end it was just a matter of needing to get used to things. I forced myself to run more and more pugs as a healer, and a couple of weeks later I was back to feeling like a pretty damn good healer.

I guess what I'm saying is, click that LFD button and start getting some practice. Nightmare pugs aren't as common as the forums sometimes make it seem.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Survival Hunters, Affliction and Destruction Warlock's are very respectable in the DPS department in Raids. They are all in the top 5 DPS specs with Survival right now as #1 contender for best Raid DPS on stateofdps.com going up against Unholy DKs.

Marksman Hunters and Beast Master Hunters bring up the rear as the 2 worst possible DPS specs in the game at the moment. Doing almost LESS THAN HALF of the DPS of their Survival Brothers.

The patch will hopefully change all of this, but Marks and Beast need to have their DPS almost doubled to be able to compete in top 5.

Now I see why people were complaining about hunters. I figure that all specs of a "pure" DPS class should be in line with each other damage-wise. That's obviously not the case with hunters.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    Inquisitor wrote: »

The thing with slate (at least when it was slate/storm/time) that made the fight really easy for our ten man was just to never release slate and just do tank swaps when the stacks got to high. Slate himself hits insanely hard. We got Halfus down on our first try using that strategy.

I think that is the best strategy no matter the combination. Kill 2, kill boss, leave 1 untouched. The potential for the Drake Tank to die during a Furious Roar is too great. A Fire Barrage + the Drake smashing his face in is just too much for healers to handle, especially if they've got Mortal Strike Debuffs on them from tanking Halfus just prior.

Buddies on
  • Basren DragonsnackBasren Dragonsnack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Its not really the case with any pure DPS class.

There is more disparity between the Hunter specs, sure, but Mages and Rogues both have one spec that is doing significantly more than the others.

I would say Warlocks are the most balanced between specs right now. Demo locks definitely do less damage than the other two , but the difference is much smaller.

Basren Dragonsnack on
    PSN: Scotty85
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I think that is the best strategy no matter the combination. Kill 2, kill boss, leave 1 untouched. The potential for the Drake Tank to die during a Furious Roar is too great. A Fire Barrage + the Drake smashing his face in is just too much for healers to handle, especially if they've got Mortal Strike Debuffs on them from tanking Halfus just prior.

This is definately the case. That roar absolutely messes me up when I am healing on my shaman. Everyones like its the roar, phase pop cooldowns and keep the tanks up. I have one cooldown, NS, and the CD is way too long.

Def need to kill any drakes that are up during that phase.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011

Yeah, Survival is a little *too* good right now. Had a pug Survival Hunter in almost entirely PvP gear over the weekend and he was putting out some really good numbers (like 14k). That's a real shame.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jubal77 wrote: »

I had some dps bitch me out in a norm the other day because I broke CC while grinding some rep. Then he saw my gear and shut up.

My "regular" heroic guild group is finally to the point where we can bullrush Grim Batol with basically zero CC.

It feels nice, but is also the reason why I ignore the "nerf these dungeons" or the rants about the dungeons being too hard.

They will be far too easy VERY quickly, so for now, learn to play / get friends.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    edited January 2011
    When my guild has a lot of players on, heroics are quick and easy. But they've also started forming their raids, so now the pool of people wanting to run heroics is getting smaller.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
    edited January 2011
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

I felt the same way when i picked up healing again (I had been a mainspec healer since the launch of Vanilla, but stopped raiding and healing halfway through Ulduar). I felt like a terrible healer even running normal instances in heroic gear; my instinct for anticipating incoming damage was gone, keybindings seemed awkward, I couldn't seem to balance throughput and mana efficiency at all and my reactions seemed extremely slow. Basically nothing felt natural anymore. For a while I blamed Cataclysm and the class changes, but in the end it was just a matter of needing to get used to things. I forced myself to run more and more pugs as a healer, and a couple of weeks later I was back to feeling like a pretty damn good healer.

I guess what I'm saying is, click that LFD button and start getting some practice. Nightmare pugs aren't as common as the forums sometimes make it seem.

That is exactly how I feel right now. I used to be pretty damn good with my lock and retadin. And now I'm all retarded. I think the thing with PUG's right now is that my only 85 is my retadin, and I'm already sluggish, etc. So that, combined with spotty/unreliable ret dps, just makes me not want to even try on him. So now I'm leveling my lock.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wouldn't feel bad about not being at home with Retribution because the spec changed a whole lot, and the direction in changed in was to make it much more demanding on the player.

Walt on
    edited January 2011
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

That is exactly how I feel right now. I used to be pretty damn good with my lock and retadin. And now I'm all retarded. I think the thing with PUG's right now is that my only 85 is my retadin, and I'm already sluggish, etc. So that, combined with spotty/unreliable ret dps, just makes me not want to even try on him. So now I'm leveling my lock.

Ret DPS is pretty bad if you don't have a decent weapon. Once you start getting some better gear/weapon your DPS will pick up.

Beyond Normal on
  • ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    4 piece pvp is what survival hunters are shooting for until it gets nerfed -- it is better statwise for the bonuses than PVE gear is

on the test realm it is nerfed already

ToddJewell on
  • simsim Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    . Demo locks definitely do less damage than the other two , but the difference is much smaller.

Unless they're doing aoe - then wtf. But folks hardly aoe anymore, so who cares.

It's hard to analyze things now with 4.06 coming in the next couple weeks. I did switch from ele to enh shaman because of the big damage disparity between the two, but it turns out that I'm really enjoying enhance in 4.0 for the first time since vanilla.

sim on
    edited January 2011
    ToddJewell wrote: »
    4 piece pvp is what survival hunters are shooting for until it gets nerfed -- it is better statwise for the bonuses than PVE gear is

on the test realm it is nerfed already

Ah, that explains it then. It's still not right :P

Warlock82 on
  • RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Yeah, Survival is a little *too* good right now. Had a pug Survival Hunter in almost entirely PvP gear over the weekend and he was putting out some really good numbers (like 14k). That's a real shame.

The fact that the bonuses (getting nerfed) from 4p pvp gear is for most (or all?) dps classes are pretty OP probably has something to do with this. Alot of dps are wearing 4piece pvp for raiding primarily for the 180 primary stat bonus on top of the extra primary stats for Vicious gear's ilvl which make up for them having resilience.

Rakeeth on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nevermind!

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So while doing archaeology up in Felstone Field in WPL, it occurs to me to look over at the Alliance Laborer and see what he's doing.

turcop.gif

I guess nobody taught him proper pitchfork technique.

SabreMau on
This discussion has been closed.