As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play NieR: Episode 30: Man, Fuck The Junk Heap

• Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just wanted to say the soundtrack is available on iTunes...and I just purchased it. Any tracks that are somehow spoilerific and should be avoided for now? :)

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rent where's the hq download for the new sets

why you hatin

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    RBach wrote: »
    Just wanted to say the soundtrack is available on iTunes...and I just purchased it. Any tracks that are somehow spoilerific and should be avoided for now? :)

There's only one track in English, and I believe its the last one on the ost. The lyrics are a little spoilerish so avoid it if you're listening and really trying to hear the words, but as background music you'd never really notice it.

Off to itunes to buy the soundtrack! How much was it?

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rent where's the hq download for the new sets

why you hatin

Episode 6 blip direct download

the bonus mirror on blip will arrive whenever I have the chance (read: I just got Dead Space 2)

Rent on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kaines outfit is pretty amazing

when she turned round my eyebrows went into my skull

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Rent on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dyvion wrote: »
    i know that you see parallels but there aren't actually any parallels it's just your impression. love feels like love yeah? it'll be hard to figure out your feelings like that, so I suggest you consider potential motivations instead.

Very rarely is sex ever listed as a motivation for the protagonist. You may see it. It may be your impression. It may even be implied. There's always the 'happily ever after'. But very rarely do the hero and the victim ever actually get it on.

there is however a shit ton of romantic attraction all up ins, commonly called love

which is what i was actually talking about

as opposed to the father child bond that we also label as love, even though they are qualitatively different.

note carefully how sex has nothing to do with either of those definitions. theres a ton of romantic stories out there that amazingly show no sex whatsoever. they're still thought of as romantic. it's the thought that counts and whatnot.

sure its sappy and dumb and stupid and so on but this is what i meant: that the love between the protagonist and the princess is presented as something different from the love of a father for his child. different associations, different themes, different everything.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »

There's only one track in English, and I believe its the last one on the ost. The lyrics are a little spoilerish so avoid it if you're listening and really trying to hear the words, but as background music you'd never really notice it.

You've probably already seen the price by now, but it's $15.99. Not bad for two "discs" of material (43 tracks total). I'm quite enjoying it (and the LP, too ;)).

Now if the pattern that's starting to develop holds, I'll be buying the game later on in some unexpected sale like I did with VVVVVV...though it'd have to be an amazing sale to make up for having to buy a PS3 or 360. :P

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh hi there morninglord

Glad to have you around to make all my arguments for me.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

You've probably already seen the price by now, but it's $15.99. Not bad for two "discs" of material (43 tracks total). I'm quite enjoying it (and the LP, too ;)).

Now if the pattern that's starting to develop holds, I'll be buying the game later on in some unexpected sale like I did with VVVVVV...though it'd have to be an amazing sale to make up for having to buy a PS3 or 360. :P
    it's 15 dollars at gamestop

it's literally cheaper than the soundtrack you just bought

Rent on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i know that you see parallels but there aren't actually any parallels it's just your impression. love feels like love yeah? it'll be hard to figure out your feelings like that, so I suggest you consider potential motivations instead.

Very rarely is sex ever listed as a motivation for the protagonist. You may see it. It may be your impression. It may even be implied. There's always the 'happily ever after'. But very rarely do the hero and the victim ever actually get it on.

there is however a shit ton of romantic attraction all up ins, commonly called love

as opposed to the father child bond that we also label as love, even though they are qualitatively different.

note carefully how sex has nothing to do with either of those definitions. theres a ton of romantic stories out there that amazingly show no sex whatsoever. they're still thought of as romantic. it's the thought that counts and whatnot.

sure its sappy and dumb and stupid and so on but this is what i meant: that the love between the protagonist and the princess is presented as something different from the love of a father for his child. different associations, different themes, different everything.

I agree, there are types of love; the love for a daughter is different than the love of some scantily clad bimbo who gets herself captured all the time. They are two seperate things. But splitting hairs about the type of love is beside the point. My point was that effectively the stories are the same. Person A is trying to save Subject B. Swapping in whoever you want for either of those results in the same story.

I'm not saying the story is bad. Variations in stories make things interesting and new. But the premise for the story itself isn't new. It's the same story that's been told for thousands of years. The original argument that this story isn't cliche'd is flawed. Because it is cliche'd. But all stories are cliche'd at this point, because there are only 7 plotlines available. (alternately, 20 plots available)

Again, this doesn't stop it from being unique and amazing, and I'm very drawn to this story in particular. This let's play has me salivating for more.
    The seven plotlines. Many many many arguments have been had about these, and I don't think this is the place, but these are the examples for my argument.
    1 - [wo]man vs. nature
    2 - [wo]man vs. man
    3 - [wo]man vs. the environment
    4 - [wo]man vs. machines/technology
    5 - [wo]man vs. the supernatural
    6 - [wo]man vs. self
    7 - [wo]man vs. god/religion

Alternately the 20 Plots:
    Quest
    Adventure
    Pursuit
    Rescue
    Escape
    Revenge
    The Riddle
    Rivalry
    Underdog
    Temptation
    Metamorphosis
    Transformation
    Maturation
    Love
    Forbidden Love
    Sacrifice
    Discovery
    Wretched Excess
    Ascension
    Descension.

Of course there are many other theories and papers on this topic. The above was taken from the Internet Public Library. I'm not nearly intelligent enough to come up with all that on my own. But I read a lot.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I agree, there are types of love; the love for a daughter is different than the love of some scantily clad bimbo who gets herself captured all the time. They are two seperate things. But splitting hairs about the type of love is beside the point. My point was that effectively the stories are the same. Person A is trying to save Subject B. Swapping in whoever you want for either of those results in the same story.

I'm not saying the story is bad. Variations in stories make things interesting and new. But the premise for the story itself isn't new. It's the same story that's been told for thousands of years. The original argument that this story isn't cliche'd is flawed. Because it is cliche'd. But all stories are cliche'd at this point, because there are only 7 plotlines available. (alternately, 20 plots available)

Again, this doesn't stop it from being unique and amazing, and I'm very drawn to this story in particular. This let's play has me salivating for more.
    The seven plotlines. Many many many arguments have been had about these, and I don't think this is the place, but these are the examples for my argument.
    1 - [wo]man vs. nature
    2 - [wo]man vs. man
    3 - [wo]man vs. the environment
    4 - [wo]man vs. machines/technology
    5 - [wo]man vs. the supernatural
    6 - [wo]man vs. self
    7 - [wo]man vs. god/religion

Alternately the 20 Plots:
    Quest
    Adventure
    Pursuit
    Rescue
    Escape
    Revenge
    The Riddle
    Rivalry
    Underdog
    Temptation
    Metamorphosis
    Transformation
    Maturation
    Love
    Forbidden Love
    Sacrifice
    Discovery
    Wretched Excess
    Ascension
    Descension.

Of course there are many other theories and papers on this topic. The above was taken from the Internet Public Library. I'm not nearly intelligent enough to come up with all that on my own. But I read a lot.

I know Zen so just trust me when I tell you that he wasn't implying the story was new. He was implying that it hasn't been seen for a while and he's glad to see it again, it's been a long time, lets have a sit down and a chat and some tea.
    Fresh doesn't mean new it means...how do I put it. It means something that hasn't been around for a while is back again. You've seen it before, it's not all that different from a technical standpoint, but all the same those pesky feelings you have which don't give a flying fuck about logic are going "hey that's interesting". Because it's different enough and it makes you happy again.
    Cliche is a term used mostly to describe a persons dislike of a thing because they've seen it too much recently. In some cases they may see it too much so they're forever burned out on it, but in others if it isn't seen for a while and it pops up surrounded by the current cliche the pattern seeking monkey called a human being goes "Oooooh!"

Your argument that it's similar enough to be subsumed into the current cliche is heavily reductionist and doesn't address particulars like people aren't robots.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CakeinaBoxCakeinaBox Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Same story type, but different feelings. Plus, you see less fathers saving children than mothers. Friends or lovers saving each other just seems like it is a very common type of story, especially in a jrpg. Seeing a father who is just trying to maintain a normal life with his daughter(even though that ultimately fails I guess?), a very important and kind person to him that is also the last link he has to his wife. Not running out to save the world, not doing so because saving the person is for the greater good, but merely for keeping a normal life where he does his job and cares for his daughter. I think even more than lovers or friends or siblings, that connection is so fundamental to a person. "This is my father and he's really cool, I'm his favorite girl." Brings back memories of good times from the good he wants for his daughter.

But I haven't played the game, so I'm just speculating with what I know. And adding my thoughts that I shouldn't.

I watched the first episode of the LP and it's decent. I'd watch more, since the game story and everything is quite interesting, but I promised myself I would play this game or else, this month. I already know more than I want about the plot from a podcast.

Re:OST. The Nightmares and Arrange tracks that they released are ridiculously good as well. A capella version of The Wretched Automatons is so so good. One of the best a capella tracks I've ever heard. And the 8-bit Legend of Nier is...actually really addictive.

CakeinaBox on
    Needs more Alan Alda.
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yayyy Morninglord puts my feelings into words for me <3

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I really like how this is about a guy and his daughter than every other god damn cliche story out there

I like how this is about a Father and his Daughter too.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm like 10 minutes in and already confused.

After the very first scene did I read right when it said
    1000+ years later?

if I did read right, I'm sure it will be explained but I want to make sure I'm not crazy =p

vamen on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yes and yes

Turkey on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I like how this is a Father/Daughter story, as well. The game also does a great job of showing their connection and the impact various events have on Nier because he's Yonah's father.

There's more to why that specific connection is good, but until Rent gets farther, it's not something I can discuss.

Major props to you, Rent, for getting the word out about this game as well as you have.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Okay the bonus video for episode 6 convinced me that live commentary was the way to go for this.
    I hope to see you suffer more!

Trynant on
  • Options
    Banana-ManBanana-Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This LP has convinced my friend and I to pick this up. He loved Drakengard because of the weird set of main "heroes". I picked up Nier because it just looks good. And the father/daughter archetype is a unique story you don't typically see used as a main draw.

So far so good though. I wonder if this is going to get as fucked up as Drakengard was?

Banana-Man on
    :shock:
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Banana-Man wrote: »
    This LP has convinced my friend and I to pick this up. He loved Drakengard because of the weird set of main "heroes". I picked up Nier because it just looks good. And the father/daughter archetype is a unique story you don't typically see used as a main draw.

So far so good though. I wonder if this is going to get as fucked up as Drakengard was?

Apparently there is something fundamentally wrong with me for not seeing how this story is unique. I conceed, there is something wrong with me. But I still don't see it. I like it. The story. I do.

I'm reading The Dark Id's LP of Drakengard now. That game has serious issues, and I'm glad I didn't purchase it when I was growing up. (I think SaGa Frontier scarred me enough.)

Dyvion on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ALERT ALERT NOTHING OF IMPORTANCE HAPPENS IN THIS EPISODE IT IS ALL SIDEQUESTS AND NPC TALKING ALERT ALERT

Episode 7: Sidequestin' Viddler

Rent on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rent wrote: »
    ALERT ALERT NOTHING OF IMPORTANCE HAPPENS IN THIS EPISODE IT IS ALL SIDEQUESTS AND NPC TALKING ALERT ALERT

Are you going to record your quest for the white moonflower?

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    B:L wrote: »

Please at least record your response to that question =)

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited February 2011

stats.png

Rent on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

stats.png
    Good answer :^:

• Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My God you and Earwig are way too quiet in this episode.

And if it were me, I would have made this Episode 6.5 or something similar. Then again, if it were me this episode would have been uploaded in March.

Trynant on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Rent on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Haha fetch quests are entertaining.

Also fuck that seafront, I'm not playing it and I'm still annoyed by it.

BLOOOOMM

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Kagera wrote: »
    Haha fetch quests are entertaining.

Also fuck that seafront, I'm not playing it and I'm still annoyed by it.

BLOOOOMM
    It really is a beautifully designed place if you have the time to look around it.

Also I just grew a white moonflower. Those things disturbingly look like pink ones if you don't look closely.

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh just fyi why the ep wasn't up yesterday was was because I fucked up the audio and had to redo the audio so it'll be up today

also

go steelers

STEELERS NATION BABY

Rent on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    go steelers

I think you made a typo there. It should say "Go Green Bay!"

But everyone makes mistakes sometimes.

I lost all resolve and went to the Exchange to try to pick up a copy of this. They're all gone. ARGH. So now I'm perusing various online sales sites available on Island. So far I've found two copies for sale... but both already sold. ARGH.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    go steelers

I think you made a typo there. It should say "Go Green Bay!"

But everyone makes mistakes sometimes.

I lost all resolve and went to the Exchange to try to pick up a copy of this. They're all gone. ARGH. So now I'm perusing various online sales sites available on Island. So far I've found two copies for sale... but both already sold. ARGH.

well I meant to support the team that has won the super bowl the most times in the league

so

uh

yeah

but yeah you guys are pretty rad with your measly three rings! i'm super happy for you guys!

i mean we just have double that but whatev's

Rent on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think what Rent means to say is he supports rape.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Episode 8: The Wretched Automatons Viddler

today has been an ungood day, with my internet having been out for like six hours

also the steelers lost. that too.

fuck the packers.

Rent on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yay a new episode! Yay the packers won! It's a good day!

e: No! Cliffhanger ending! You've ruined my day Rent! I have no idea what's going to happen next! Argh!

Dyvion on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh shit, Wall-E D:

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    blip [url=http://blip.tv/file/get/Itsrent-LetsPlayNieREpisode8TheWretchedAutomatons619.flv
    ]direct download[/url]

sorry this took so insanely long, blip was being a dick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4VA8furPFs

Rent on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Episode 9: Junk Heap, pt. 2 Viddler

Rent on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thanks rent. Really looking forward to... whatever is beyond that save point. I'm not sure what it could possibly be, but I'm excited! Cliffhangers are evil!

Dyvion on