As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Starcraft 2: We're just a bunch of crazy guys and Dhals.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    another day another I'm pathetic at this fucking game

3 losses, one to each race.

ugh goddamn it. fucking let myself lose to fucking lings counter attacking. christ.

here, have all my scvs. take them. no seriously.

edit - the rage I feel when I lose in not comparable to anything since losing at games when I was a kid.

I'm so angry. It's like, anyone watching would probably think it isn't worth it.

but I can take a few losses no problem it's when I lose a group in a row. especially like, okay I have time for a couple of things before I have to go do xyz... oh good, all losses, can't wait to go deal with this thing I have to do! L?S"JKBGNL"K:SNGDp;'

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • MashimaroMashimaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I also think that PA members tend to have a better sense of skepticism regarding balance. Unlike many of those trollish monsters parading as SC2 players on TL or Battle.net forums, we tend to recognize that balance is a complicated beast. I don't buy the argument that we aren't "qualified" because we're not diamond/master/pro players - we're not qualified because we don't have access to all of the relevant data (some of which is pro-level games and opinions). Then again, I don't want to sift through all that data - so big thanks to Blizzard for doing that for us.

Anyways, that made me think of something else that's been bothering me for a while.

STARCRAFT 2 IS NOT EASIER THAN BROOD WAR.

You can empirically prove that Brood War's mechanics were more complicated that SC2's, but that doesn't make the game easier or harder on a competive level. It simply shifts the skills needed to play at a higher level. It's like saying that Tennis is easier than baseball because the surface area of the racket means you'll hit the ball more often >.<

Think about it this way: Let's say that it takes 40 clicks to do the minimum required macro for each base to be a top level player in brood war. Let's say it takes 20 clicks to do the same macro in Starcraft 2.

Pro-level player (effective) apm: 140

Your (effective) apm: 80

Let's say you both favor two base play - both in Brood War and in SC2:

In Brood War, you can barely macro correctly and have essentially no micro while running your game-plan on 2 bases. The pro, on the other hand, runs two bases and has 60 clicks left over each minute to out-micro/manuever or even opt for an expansion.

In Starcraft 2, you get on two bases and you have 40 clicks left over which you can use to micro or even expand and be just fine! You think "Maaan, this game is sooooo much easier."

However, the pro player gets on two bases and literally doesn't break a sweat. He's got 100 actions each minute he's doing which are control/micro, scouting, and even expanding many more times than you.

Starcraft 2 isn't easier - it just has a small skill set shift from macro to micro.

Mashimaro on
    463084-1.png
    edited February 2011
    and hey everyone I lost to is ranked worse than I am

at least that feels good

ho HO!

Variable on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I say we dub the new LT, Found Temple.

Get it?

I think I might just solely work on my macro/long game this weekend. No laddering. Just macro. Its not as fun as winning but I don't think I can compete strongly at Platinum with rushes.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • EzekielEzekiel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    PantsB wrote: »
    I say we dub the new LT, Found Temple.

Get it?

I think I might just solely work on my macro/long game this weekend. No laddering. Just macro. Its not as fun as winning but I don't think I can compete strongly at Platinum with rushes.

More like "What temple?"

Ezekiel on
    428475-1.png
    I will throw you on the land and hurl you on the open field. I will let all the birds of the air settle on you and all the beasts of the earth gorge themselves on you. I will spread your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your remains. I will drench the land with your flowing blood all the way to the mountains, and the ravines will be filled with your flesh. - Ezekiel 32: 4-6
  • Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I would highly recommend you think of most of your games as practice. Everyone who is good at anything got there by practicing, but in a competitive game like this it's way too easy to get focused on performance, performance, performance. You want to win every game, and you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

It would be insane if a football player refused to play any scrimmages or do any sort of training whatsoever outside of just playing games, and he probably wouldn't be very good. Don't fall into that trap. After every game, try to think of some way you can learn from it, but even if you can't rest assured that a lot of learning will be going on in the background outside of your control. Just focus on practicing and check in every dozen games or so to make sure you feel like you're progressing.

And even if you think I'm totally full of shit, letting losses shake you so badly is only going to drag your play down. You really need to get less hung up on the outcome of these games and think more about the process of playing them. Make your goal improving your play instead of winning.

Dance Commander on
  • iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You guys need to get in the g&t vent when we get lobbies going so you can hear me and duld doing our "Greg 'Idra' Fields: Pro gamer" impersonations.

but don't worry, we'll still be using the same joke 8 months from now.

iowa on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Don't...

don't we have mumble for that?

MechMantis on
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Don't...

iowa doesn't believe in mumble because he fears change and god dammit in his day we used vent

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    musanman wrote: »
    Don't...

iowa doesn't believe in mumble because he fears change and god dammit in his day we used vent

Voice chat? They implemented chat channels. Why do you need this shit. =(

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
    edited February 2011
    Don't...

Mumble is for people who don't understand the concept of balance to talk about the concept of balance.

vent is for people who make lazily thought out starcraft jokes and then reuse them for several months in a row.

iowa on
    edited February 2011
    5 losses in a row

straight up don't know how to play anymore

just getting overwhelmed in every game

don't get it.

Variable on
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Did your T key break?

His Corkiness on
    edited February 2011
    yeah that's what happened

actually one match my keyboard wasn't working til I alt tabbed and in another my mouse started flying off the screen.

but I know that's not why I lost.

just a bad day I guess, except I had one equally as bad two days ago and it feels like a trend, even if I had a good night in between.

Variable on
    edited February 2011
    maybe it's not a coincidence that this is happening the day I hit 85 in WoW

perhaps the fates are telling me something

Variable on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MaNa streaming again

http://www.own3d.tv/live/26

Dhalphir on
    edited February 2011
    you guys ever be fighting a zerg and it gets to the point where youre like

alright i cant see shit on the map hes probably expanding all over and he has mutas so i cant harass him and if i push he'll just destroy it then a move me over god dammit i hate zerg.

mutas are op

its literally impossible to harass z once mutas are out

iowa on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Don't harass him. Just go fucking kill him. Mutas are bad in a straight up confrontation.

TheBog on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    iowa wrote: »

alright i cant see shit on the map hes probably expanding all over and he has mutas so i cant harass him and if i push he'll just destroy it then a move me over god dammit i hate zerg.

mutas are op

when i get to this point its usually because I let his 15 hatch go un-punished

Also god MaNa is so good

Dhalphir on
    edited February 2011
    I dont even understand TvZ what happened here
    repimg-33-186391.jpg

I didn't really watch the first battle so maybe I miss controlled it. or maybe he had like every base except that gold I kept scanning.

I felt like I couldnt do any drops because he had mutas out so soon.

iowa on
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »

mutas are op

Also god MaNa is so good

If you feel like the zerg is going for mutalisks, its best just to six gate them. If your timing is tight, it hits right around the time he has 4-5 mutas max, which is pretty handy.

Sceptre on
    edited February 2011
    mana is totally doing the dhalgate right now

Dhalphir on
  • StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Disclaimer: This is not a post about bw vs sc2, or whether or not this mod/map is worth the effort. Kindly stfu about that please.

Anyone feel like getting sc2bw (the custom remake of bw map) koth or lobby going tonight?

It's pretty fun, and most don't/haven't played BW in ages so we'll all be on a pretty level field (ie. not knowing what the hell we're doing in the slightest). And it's not as hardcore as BW, multi-building select + automine is still in.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Streltsy wrote: »
    Disclaimer: This is not a post about bw vs sc2, or whether or not this mod/map is worth the effort. Kindly stfu about that please.

Anyone feel like getting sc2bw (the custom remake of bw map) koth or lobby going tonight?

It's pretty fun, and most don't/haven't played BW in ages so we'll all be on a pretty level field (ie. not knowing what the hell we're doing in the slightest). And it's not as hardcore as BW, multi-building select + automine is still in.
    I'd be up for trying that. Funnily enough, I just got done playing BW for the first time in a while, and losing all the UI improvements from SC2 was brutal.

Graviija on
    edited February 2011
    Sceptre wrote: »

mutas are op

Also god MaNa is so good

If you feel like the zerg is going for mutalisks, its best just to six gate them. If your timing is tight, it hits right around the time he has 4-5 mutas max, which is pretty handy.

I prefer 3gate expand into blink stalkers into storm then secure my third.

Either works well.

Dhalphir on
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sceptre wrote: »

mutas are op

Also god MaNa is so good

I prefer 3gate expand into blink stalkers into storm then secure my third.

Either works well.
    Well, I usually open 3 gate expand and then proceed off of what I see. If I suspect mutalisks, I just transition to a tight 6 gate. If he goes mutalisks from that point, he pretty much loses, and you never have to deal with that horror scenario of uncurbed muta numbers.

Sceptre on
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    5 losses in a row

straight up don't know how to play anymore

just getting overwhelmed in every game

don't get it.

open the cheese cabinet.

Joe K on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So Sheth is playing DDE on this stream, bo7 map one.

Only the poor dude solo casting has no idea his mic isn't on, it's pretty funny in a surreal way.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/complexitv-live

It's like the Starcraft version of those edited Garfield comics.

815165 on
  • StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Graviija wrote: »
    Streltsy wrote: »

I'd be up for trying that. Funnily enough, I just got done playing BW for the first time in a while, and losing all the UI improvements from SC2 was brutal.

So that's one, anyone else interested?

(US server)

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    repimg-33-186391.jpg

I didn't really watch the first battle so maybe I miss controlled it. or maybe he had like every base except that gold I kept scanning.

I think if you open up 2rax then you want to do at least a little early poking with your Marines and maybe an SCV. As it turns out he did end up making a dozen lings, but they could've been forced earlier had you applied pressure. I don't think killing his gas steal was critical.

It's still true until he had Mutas, I think. You want to be pushing out a bit with your Marines, clear the watchtowers, try to kill a morphing creep tumour or two. You need to at least give the illusion of a threat, or else they'll just Drone up like he did and get away with not many lings or spines.

The first battle didn't actually go so terribly (his Banelings were blocked by his lings). You were just 30 food and 15 workers behind at that point and his creep was spread all the way to your natural. Tanks might've been a better choice than Thors though, I dunno.

You also have a bunch of idle SCVs.

I'd also re-evaluate how many production buildings you need. I'm not sure but I don't think you can support 4 rax, 2 factories and 2 starports, all with addons, plus double engineering bays, on two bases.

His Corkiness on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Poor Sheth, that's an obscene number of thors and tanks.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    edited February 2011
    boyoboy, when you need a one win pick me up nothing works quite like tvz cross position metalopolis to make to feel good.

weeeeeeeee

... somehow I never bothered to helion harass as the game went on. DUMB. can't believe it worked that well but I guess mutas can't be everywhere

Variable on
  • KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    repimg-33-186391.jpg

I think if you open up 2rax then you want to do at least a little early poking with your Marines and maybe an SCV. As it turns out he did end up making a dozen lings, but they could've been forced earlier had you applied pressure. I don't think killing his gas steal was critical.

It's still true until he had Mutas, I think. You want to be pushing out a bit with your Marines, clear the watchtowers, try to kill a morphing creep tumour or two. You need to at least give the illusion of a threat, or else they'll just Drone up like he did and get away with not many lings or spines.

The first battle didn't actually go so terribly (his Banelings were blocked by his lings). You were just 30 food and 15 workers behind at that point and his creep was spread all the way to your natural. Tanks might've been a better choice than Thors though, I dunno.

I'd also re-evaluate how many production buildings you need. I'm not sure but I don't think you can support 4 rax, 2 factories and 2 starports, all with addons, plus double engineering bays, on two bases.

If you open 2 rax, you are perfectly fine to expand. Just the fact that zerg was forced to make 10 lings that could've been 5 drones makes the opening worthwhile.

The number one rule of pvz and tvz is to never engage on creep. You needed to be active with using your army to clear the watchtowers and push his creep back from your side of the map. (To be fair, though, his creep spread was impressive). This was why your push at 17:00 was stuffed so hard and coincidental where you effectively lost the game. Also not having any tanks in your composition doesn't help matters at all which is equivalent to protoss pushing with a gateway-only army against roach/hydra.

Instead of pushing at that point, you needed to be building a tank backbone while getting ready to take a third. During this, you need to be harassing by sharking off-creep with your army as sev mentioned. Also, you can't be afraid of dropping zerg even though they have mutas out. Drops keep zerg from massing economy and also keep mutas off your back allowing you get the favorable position with your army that you need. For example, at 13:00 minutes, you know his mutas are harassing your main. You can sneak a octodrop or a blue flame drop into his main by the west border and force those mutas back, all the while doing good damage.

EDIT: also, when you scan a fresh lair like that and see that zerg is going spire before baneling speed, you have an opportunity to punish him hard if you have a sizable marine force. You just need to be active about pushing back creep and microing marines.

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    so i know that the GOM team league is on next week... when does the next code S/A league start?

PoolCue on
    edited February 2011
    I think march is the next one

Variable on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So Sheth's getting stomped, but he got his only win by off racing protoss and dt rushing, heh.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That DDE guy made hellion harass look really good and really easy.

fadingathedges on
    edited February 2011
    Kambing wrote: »
    repimg-33-186391.jpg

If you open 2 rax, you are perfectly fine to expand. Just the fact that zerg was forced to make 10 lings that could've been 5 drones makes the opening worthwhile.

The number one rule of pvz and tvz is to never engage on creep. You needed to be active with using your army to clear the watchtowers and push his creep back from your side of the map. (To be fair, though, his creep spread was impressive). This was why your push at 17:00 was stuffed so hard and coincidental where you effectively lost the game. Also not having any tanks in your composition doesn't help matters at all which is equivalent to protoss pushing with a gateway-only army against roach/hydra.

Instead of pushing at that point, you needed to be building a tank backbone while getting ready to take a third. During this, you need to be harassing by sharking off-creep with your army as sev mentioned. Also, you can't be afraid of dropping zerg even though they have mutas out. Drops keep zerg from massing economy and also keep mutas off your back allowing you get the favorable position with your army that you need. For example, at 13:00 minutes, you know his mutas are harassing your main. You can sneak a octodrop or a blue flame drop into his main by the west border and force those mutas back, all the while doing good damage.

EDIT: also, when you scan a fresh lair like that and see that zerg is going spire before baneling speed, you have an opportunity to punish him hard if you have a sizable marine force. You just need to be active about pushing back creep and microing marines.

Is it worth dropping when there are mutas on the field though? I mean it's guaranteed that i'm going to lose all those units which makes me uncomfortable.

I switch to tanks only after the first engagement. before I thought the thors would be enough to handle the banelings but nah

I just never felt like I had any opportunity to do anything.

Even taking my third felt too dangerous.

also I never build marauders what do you guys think about that.

iowa on
  • MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    For anyone complaining that the new maps are too small....you should try them out first. All of them are quite big.

Maratastik on
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kambing wrote: »
    repimg-33-186391.jpg

Is it worth dropping when there are mutas on the field though? I mean it's guaranteed that i'm going to lose all those units which makes me uncomfortable.

I switch to tanks only after the first engagement. before I thought the thors would be enough to handle the banelings but nah

I just never felt like I had any opportunity to do anything.

Even taking my third felt too dangerous.

also I never build marauders what do you guys think about that.

I think you really just needed to be somewhat aggressive - any aggression would have helped. For the most part you had no clue what was being built, where his army was (aside from the muta aggression), etc.

There wasn't an opportunity to position yourself because you had no clue where he was.

when pressuring with your rines early, hug walls and such to make them more effective within reason (avoiding banes). Even getting him to make more banes early on would have been great.

Seems to me like you just need some sort of early aggression that allows you to keep tabs on your opponent and then transition into mid game.

Also - I'd say your nat. was undersaturated.

SkyGheNe on