As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fuck Needles

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was having a cavity filled and the anesthesiologist hit the nerve in the lower right side of my bottom lip. Stung like a bitch for about half a second and then I felt nothing for days. Actually kinda scared me because I could still feel it slightly numb for weeks afterward. I thought she screwed up and I'd have a droopy mouth like that one sewing lady. Fortunately after a month I was back to normal -- drooling all over myself erryday.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    GeoMitch wrote: »
    I seriously want to know why America isn't using the metric system

what up with that
    what's the deal
    who are these people

Because that's pussy European bullshit. It makes too much sense.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think they decided it was too expensive to switch

unintentional on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Margarazzi wrote: »

what up with that
    what's the deal
    who are these people

Because that's pussy European bullshit. It makes too much sense.

Who the fuck bases any counting system on base 10?

Ludicrous.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sassori wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    Having had chronic back pain for three or so years now I can safely say I am usually pretty good with pain. Most days it is ok, it just sucks when you are having a it hurts to breathe day.

Oh god. I know exactly what you mean.

Did you ever lose feeling in one of your legs? One time that happened to me while I was working and I was a waitress at the time. It sucked.

Oh yeah, feet getting all numb, legs all tingly

Only thing that hurt worse than my back at that point was the cortisone shot to fix my back

Fuck that

Usagi on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So is this the Donger thread, or what? I mean, have you guys been reading my diary? How'd you know what I call my penis?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Describing your penis and height in centimeters just doesn't have enough oomph.

Also needles really aren't bad (usually) stop being pussies (I've always wanted to say that ='])

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    needles ain't no thang.

I just don't look.

When my lung collapsed they had to suck all of the nitrogen out of my chest cavity with this MASSIVE fuckin syringe.

oh but they also gave me morphine so that might have helped.

When I came to my senses I noticed that I had squirted blood up and over my shoulder.

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When I got my blood taken for mono tests the nurse hit a valve and I nearly blacked out from nausea

And I wasn't even looking at the thing, I was intentionally averting my gaze

I know it's not her fault but still, that kind of put me off on needles for a while

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Needles are so tiny how are they scary

I think I'm going to poke some needles into my pupils right now for funsies

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Here let me help you with that

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Barcardi wrote: »
    I had a spinal tap as a kid, not a fun experience, painful as hell because THEY FUCKING MISSED THE SPINE AND HIT BONE, and it created my only known phobia, needles.

fuck needles. yet i still do all the health needle related things, but fuck them so much.

I had to have 900 thousand shots in the back of my head when I was a kid because the lady that cut my hair never washed her shears and cut me once. The hair stopped growing there and then started falling out. talk about not at all fun

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Barcardi wrote: »
    I had a spinal tap as a kid, not a fun experience, painful as hell because THEY FUCKING MISSED THE SPINE AND HIT BONE, and it created my only known phobia, needles.

fuck needles. yet i still do all the health needle related things, but fuck them so much.

I had to have 900 thousand shots in the back of my head when I was a kid because the lady that cut my hair never washed her shears and cut me once. The hair stopped growing there and then started falling out. talk about not at all fun

Well that is kind of horrifying

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    the only bad hospital thing I've had is when they didn't use enough anesthetic on my leg before they started stitching a cut on my shin up and I got to feel them stabbing my leg over and over

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ya, I definitely had to request more anesthetic when I was getting my wisdom teeth removed. I know I'm supposed to feel pressure... but that was PAIN.

I got them to gimme more before the pain could get too bad though.

skettios on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When I got my blood taken for mono tests the nurse hit a valve and I nearly blacked out from nausea

I know it's not her fault but still, that kind of put me off on needles for a while

As a wee lass of nine I had an MRI with contrast done to figure out my headaches

The contrast is this dye that looks a lot like saline solution, so the nurse tries to set me up with an IV in my arm. Key word here is "tries". She missed the vein. Repeatedly. In both arms. And kept yelling at me to sit still so she could get my vein.

Finally the tech comes in to see how far along I am and finds one frustrated nurse and me bawling because OW and calls the doctor and my Mom in. Doc put it in the back of my hand, bandaids the hell out of my arms and tells the nurse to get the fuck out.

By that afternoon I was black and blue like the night sky from above my elbows down almost to my wrists and could barely move my arms

Consequently any time someone tries to give me a shot or take some blood I hyperventilate and pass out. Getting better recently but still gives me the willies thinking about it.

Usagi on
  • Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've never had any problems with anesthesia, 'cept for this time I apparently came to in the middle of some oral surgery and started talking about the French. Something about really good bread stuffs, so they doped me up more. The next day and a half were a blur.

Jacques L'Homme on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Talked to my grandmother. She is complaining about the "ridiculous tests" they're keeping her in the hospital for (like the MRI she just had :|) so it sounds like she is nearly back to normal.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    saw-2-needles.jpg

bad scene

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    skettios wrote: »
    Ya, I definitely had to request more anesthetic when I was getting my wisdom teeth removed. I know I'm supposed to feel pressure... but that was PAIN.

I got them to gimme more before the pain could get too bad though.

I got the gas when I got my wisdoms removed. Slept through it rather well though I do recall some pressure towards the beginning.

And I recovered rather quickly as well. Seeing outright HOLES in your gums at the back of your mouth is a trip though. I remember flushing stuff out of 'em and being in a bit of a panic that they're heal right over a piece of corn or something.

Ew.

Edit: When I was four I had Pseudotumor Cerebri Syndrome. I was in and out of the hospital for a span of 6 months to a year. According to my mother I had quite a few spinal taps and injections. The only one I really remember is a needle in my ass but thankfully I was young enough that I don't remember much of it.

Between that and the naturally occurring hernia issue I had when I was 8, I'm not necessarily frightened of hospitals but they do give me an uneasy vibe.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Talked to my grandmother. She is complaining about the "ridiculous tests" they're keeping her in the hospital for (like the MRI she just had :|) so it sounds like she is nearly back to normal.

That's good!

How is her speech?

After my grandmother had a stroke she had trouble with certain words and remembering things for a few months. She was fine but it was very frustrating for her since she was such an intelligent woman and didn't like feeling "stupid" by not being able to communicate as well as she could before.

Sassori on
  • Options
    PedantophilePedantophile Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    Jordyn wrote: »
    They put a weird...uh, string like thing in mine, and then just took it out after a few days.

I'm actually concerned that mine is coming back...

:/

That's bacteriostatic packing material. It keeps it from being able to fill with puss while new tissue grows inside to start closing the wound.

Rane: The EZ IO is awesome. If you want fucking brutal look up the FAST IO... that's some brutal shit right there.
    Just saw a vid of a guy giving himself the FAST-1 IO. Holy crap!

I think my worst experiences with needles haven't even been on myself. Holding my wife's hand during at least three bone marrow biopsies makes me never ever want to see that again. That and having to give her daily injections (I know this is old hat for some people, but I was not very good at it, and I hated hurting her.)

Pedantophile on
    "Considering what your people did to my people during WWII I think a little kissing and breast fondling to be minor reparations, at best."
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I let an ingrown toenail (infected) go so long it had worked its way most of the way into and through my toe. A good centimeter or more

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Artreus that sounds nasty

My big toe-nail once fell off but I don't know why and it grew back so no biggie

Solar on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I lost a big toenail as a kid playing basketball bare foot. My father is a filthy cheater.

But it grew back. I just remember getting blood all over the concrete and it being very painful when he forced my foot in a bucket of ice water.

Sassori on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They had to dig it out and it hurt like a biiiitch. Stupid dad not taking me to the doctor when my foot hurt

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Usagi wrote: »

As a wee lass of nine I had an MRI with contrast done to figure out my headaches

The contrast is this dye that looks a lot like saline solution, so the nurse tries to set me up with an IV in my arm. Key word here is "tries". She missed the vein. Repeatedly. In both arms. And kept yelling at me to sit still so she could get my vein.

Finally the tech comes in to see how far along I am and finds one frustrated nurse and me bawling because OW and calls the doctor and my Mom in. Doc put it in the back of my hand, bandaids the hell out of my arms and tells the nurse to get the fuck out.

By that afternoon I was black and blue like the night sky from above my elbows down almost to my wrists and could barely move my arms

Consequently any time someone tries to give me a shot or take some blood I hyperventilate and pass out. Getting better recently but still gives me the willies thinking about it.

You win

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    in spring 2008 i found out i had a bad heart valve so that summer i spent a couple weeks in johns hopkins getting it replaced with a mechanical one

every morning i would be awoken at about five by this surly guy with an eastern european accent who would come in to take my blood, which was fine at first because i had an artery tap but that dried up on day three for some reason so they had to keep needling me for the remainder of my stay there, twice a day, every day (the afternoon person was a cheerful lady who was more tolerable if only because she acted somewhat more sympathetic)

i felt sick from all the painkillers which only dulled everything, and i was just generally disoriented the first few days so being stuck with a needle for withdrawal was always a jolt

i was glad when i got out

except i had to go back a month later because the valve came loose, and repeat the whole process

don't like needles

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Margarazzi wrote: »
    MagnumCT wrote: »
    Well, the longest needle I ever got impaled upon was pain medication after I effed up my ankle. Yes, it was long, and yes, it went right into the side of my ass, but goddamn was it the most heavenly flip from misery to calm in my entire life.

Intravenous pain medication is the closest thing to magic that we have in this day and age. One moment you wish you honestly wish to be dead because the pain is unbearable.

Then in just a fraction of a second, it's like a unicorn walked into the room and gave you oral sex. Freaking awesome.

Fantastic. Yes, this is the truest thing. I had to essentially pass out the night before on the couch because just the sheet touching me would send shock waves. After the shot, I was amused by unfunny billboards I'd seen dozes of times on the way back home and slept peacefully on the same couch for eight plus hours. In my memory of the situation, the pain was worth the joy of the relief.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    saw-2-needles.jpg

bad series

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I had a sebaceous cyst on my forehead for the longest time, and I finally got it removed last year

Thankfully neither the surgery nor the recovery were particularly painful

There was a funny moment during the procedure though: I was under local anesthesia and under a little tarp, so I could hear but not see what was going on

At one point I hear the surgeon say to a med student watching in, "Here, check out this guy's skull," at which point they spent a good thirty seconds admiring it

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    Pereza0Pereza0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I cant get enough of your skull either

Pereza0 on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    just don't tense up

you babies

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    in spring 2008 i found out i had a bad heart valve so that summer i spent a couple weeks in johns hopkins getting it replaced with a mechanical one

every morning i would be awoken at about five by this surly guy with an eastern european accent who would come in to take my blood, which was fine at first because i had an artery tap but that dried up on day three for some reason so they had to keep needling me for the remainder of my stay there, twice a day, every day (the afternoon person was a cheerful lady who was more tolerable if only because she acted somewhat more sympathetic)

i felt sick from all the painkillers which only dulled everything, and i was just generally disoriented the first few days so being stuck with a needle for withdrawal was always a jolt

i was glad when i got out

except i had to go back a month later because the valve came loose, and repeat the whole process

don't like needles

My mouth, she is agape.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

what up with that
    what's the deal
    who are these people

Ronald Reagan torpedoed Carter's move to the metric system and it hasn't come up since

Fucking Reagan

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Had to get blood drawn every month when I was on Accutane. That got me used to needles, and was worth it (kinda wish I could go back on Accutane, since some acne has come back, but nope that's not prescribed in the US anymore).

My most recent injections have been when I've had moles removed, and those aren't so bad, except one of the things they inject you with (epinephrine, I think) makes me woozy and I have to lay down.

The most fun injection I've had is the TB test, where they only inject the stuff under a couple layers of skin, making this bubble pop up.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Usagi wrote: »

THat's because most fucking nurses can't start an IV to save their lives. A lot of nursing programs don't even teach how to do it - they learn how to do butterflies, but not canulate a vein. Most hospitals have techs that are paramedics or trained phlebotomists that actually do all the IV's for them.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'll tell you what was bullshit, fuckin' getting tested for hypoglycemia. I had to drink this super sweet orange drink, then got a different finger pricked every hour for eight hours. I'd go to sleep, then wake up and get stabbed, then repeat. Of course, it wasn't until the last one when it REALLY hurt. Figures.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I had a piece of glass stuck in my heel for over a month. I was at our pool and stepped on some glass from a broken bottle near the basketball courts. I got it cleaned up by the onsite staff and rode home on my bike. It healed up fine but the dull pain whenever I put pressure on my heel never went away. One day I was grinding my heel on the floor to see why it was still hurting when I felt something hard under the skin. I got out the scalpel, my pocket knife and a needle and proceeded to pick away at the skin until I revealed an inch long sliver of glass that had been up there the whole time.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I had a piece of glass stuck in my heel for over a month. I was at our pool and stepped on some glass from a broken bottle near the basketball courts. I got it cleaned up by the onsite staff and rode home on my bike. It healed up fine but the dull pain whenever I put pressure on my heel never went away. One day I was grinding my heel on the floor to see why it was still hurting when I felt something hard under the skin. I got out the scalpel, my pocket knife and a needle and proceeded to pick away at the skin until I revealed an inch long sliver of glass that had been up there the whole time.

I've had something similar happen to me before. Glass can be really obnoxious.

And pocket knives are so freaking useful. I rarely go anywhere without one.

Sassori on