As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

should i cancel this credit card

Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
i probably asked this before but never got around to doing this so i don't remember what the consensus is

i have this credit card i've had basically since HS

i don't use it anymore, ever, (like, i haven't even activated a new card after the last one expired, i just have that account), because it has no benefits/bonuses or anything and i've gotten better cards

it started out very low credit limit but they've since put it up to $6k

anyway, basically, they decided last year to start charging a yearly fee
i called and got it waived last year

my dad said to cancel the card but i never got around to it

got the letter again this year about the upcoming fee, called with the intent to cancel, but they say i can call and waive the yearly fee every year if i choose to

so

basically what would you suggest

poo
Shazkar Shadowstorm on

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I mean if you want to waive it you want. This may be the case where it's better to cancel that because it's probably considered "inactive" in terms of credit and will reduce your overall debt on your credit report (I think).

I'm sure someone else here will be able to give you more info, but I'd say cancel it.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you have other credit cards that you use, cancel it. If you don't, start using it. $6,000 is a decent credit limit.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The rule is that the longer you've had your credit card, the better it looks on your credit report. Cancel more recent credit cards before the long-standing ones..

If you're uncomfortable with $6000 credit limit, you can ask them to decrease it to something you're more comfortable with.

*edit* also if you're uncomfortable with the yearly fee, see if the company offers another type of credit card that doesn't charge a yearly fee and change it to that..

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Buy a tank of gas once every 6 months and pay it off?
    I mean, that makes everyone happy.
    Your credit goes up because you pay off your debt right away. Your card is still active, so you continue to get the benefits of (hopefully) low interest and, as others have said, you've had it for quite some time.
    And you get a tank of gas out of the deal.
    No?

Or, if you really don't want to bother with it any more, like at all, then just cancel it and be done with it.

L Ron Howard on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you have other credit cards that you use, cancel it. If you don't, start using it. $6,000 is a decent credit limit.

yeah, the main one i use had 3.5k limit and at least gives me a small percent back, and i have another that also has small benefits

the only reason i really have for possibly not cancelling it was this:
    The rule is that the longer you've had your credit card, the better it looks on your credit report.

otherwise i really have no use for a credit card that gives me not even 1% back

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited January 2011
    If you're being good with your other lines of credit, I don't think canceling this one card is going to make that big of an impact.

Improvolone on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you are comfortable having $6K worth of credit available to you, then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't keep this card.

They've even told you that you can call and have the annual fee waived every year, essentially making it so that you don't actually have a fee for the card.

Simply use it once in a while, like for a dinner every six months or so, pay it off immediately, and then forget about it. This keeps it active and positive for your credit rating.

Like, there doesn't seem to be any reason to get rid of it. It may hurt your credit to cancel it, you may lose out on opportunities to further increase/improve your credit ranking (by not having another line to use/have in great standing), and you won't have access to $6K worth of emergency funding should something incredibly shitty happen. You weren't even thinking of cancelling it (it seems) until the fee was introduced, but that's a non-issue with a singly call on a yearly basis.

Keep the card.

LaOs on
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I agree with LaOs but you should also set a reminder on your computer/phone/calendar to remind you to get it waived because the company is counting on you forgetting to call.

Wezoin on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Having a card longer doesn't improve your credit rating if you don't use it. If you have other cards you prefer using because they have lower rates or other benefits, there's no reason to keep this card around. And keeping the card just to charge something minor like a tank of gas a month doesn't help your credit rating more than just charging that same item to the card(s) you already prefer to use.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    Having a card longer doesn't improve your credit rating if you don't use it. If you have other cards you prefer using because they have lower rates or other benefits, there's no reason to keep this card around. And keeping the card just to charge something minor like a tank of gas a month doesn't help your credit rating more than just charging that same item to the card(s) you already prefer to use.

average age of open credit lines is a factor in his credit score
    the using it only serves to increase the number of consecutive on time payments which is big, but having it sit around won't hurt him. Cancelling it will, at least until he can get that average back up. I second the calling the company and seeing if you can use your credit history with them to get them to offer you a card that is more useful to you.

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited January 2011
    interesting... hmm... so cancelling could damage my credit score huh?
    but then there's also no reason to keep this card around.

tricky.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I vote for the "use it once every few months and keep it open while getting the fee waived every year" solution. You always want to keep your oldest existing line of credit open if you can.

Thanatos on
  • AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm in the 'call the bank and get it swapped to one of their plans that has rewards of some sort while also not having a fee' group. I love being in situations like this where you don't want to the card and they know it so you will never have to pay a cent towards fees on it again!

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
    edited January 2011
    Avicus wrote: »
    I'm in the 'call the bank and get it swapped to one of their plans that has rewards of some sort while also not having a fee' group. I love being in situations like this where you don't want to the card and they know it so you will never have to pay a cent towards fees on it again!

Thing is, this is one of those banks (1st Financial Bank) that they basically only really give cards for college students / people who are just starting out (aka they mostly want to prey/make cash on college students). So they only really have 1 card. Nothing to switch to. Hm. And now I'm at the point where I have 2 other legitimate credit cards open, that I make use of...

Basically I would prefer to just get rid of this card and not deal with it, but I just was worried about cancelling it and the effect of that on my credit score etc.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited January 2011
    If it affects your credit score, it will be barely. The other good things you're hopefully doing are helping more than that one card will hurt. Your score won't drop 300 points for canceling this card.

Improvolone on
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thing is, this is one of those banks (1st Financial Bank) that they basically only really give cards for college students / people who are just starting out (aka they mostly want to prey/make cash on college students). So they only really have 1 card. Nothing to switch to. Hm. And now I'm at the point where I have 2 other legitimate credit cards open, that I make use of...

Basically I would prefer to just get rid of this card and not deal with it, but I just was worried about cancelling it and the effect of that on my credit score etc.

How long have you had this card? How long have you had your next oldest card?

It will impact your credit score in the short term, both because of decreased available credit and because it's your oldest line of credit. It should only be a minor bump, and as long as you have other accounts and are responsible your score should rebound without really making any extra effort.

Daenris on