As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Es[chat]ology

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    The indoor sections of STALKER are excellent horror.

Including the ones where there actually aren't any enemies, because you're still expecting them.

Doing that factory part in Call of Pripyat was amazing, with the sun setting and me wanting to get the fuck out of there before dark but not wanting to rush ahead in case of enemies.

Echo on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Basically, I want a survival horror that doesn't rely on these devices:

Limited ammunition
    Forced Perspectives (Dead Space's zoomed in over the shoulder, or Resident Evil's "security camera" views)
    The inability to run.

So, Amnesia with a gun is what I want. But not necessarily FPS.

I also like making a game about tension relatively toothless

RIVS! Don't be that kid! Games can be scary/tense as fuck without dicked-up control and field of view/camera-style.

You were just playing Doom3; that game made me almost poop, and I've known a few people who were pretty freaked out at times while playing it. But, check it out: you have plenty of ammo, full field of view, you can run, jump, punch things and blow shit up.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    rent i am stealing rammus this week fyi

Arch on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    this is how I always feel about resident evil type games:

215166650_YEaSq-L-2.jpg

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Limited ammunition
    Forced Perspectives (Dead Space's zoomed in over the shoulder, or Resident Evil's "security camera" views)
    The inability to run.

So you have to have those things for the game to be tense? I'm surprised at your lack of creativity.

What would you do oh lord of gaming.

Pretty much what Jacob said.

Ravenholm is single handedly one of the scariest gaming experiences ever.

If you don't know what ravenholm is then *insert snooty comment here*

Ludious on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Other games that are scary without crippling the gameplay include Clive Barker's Undying, the Gabriel Knight adventures, and the System Shock games

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    we made my non-video game playing, drunk friend play doom 3 freshman year

dude fell out of his chair

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arch wrote: »

No

NO

i mean if you do I'm expecting you to jungle in my place

that's the only way to play rammus that works

lane rammus sucks

Rent on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Ravenholm got nothing on Agroprom or the labs in STALKER.

Echo on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Resident Evil isn't a horror franchise, it's a monster franchise, and it's kind of lame and I don't like it.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Echo wrote: »

Ravenholm got nothing on Agroprom or the labs in STALKER.

If only I could stay awake to get there

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Other games that are scary without crippling the gameplay include Clive Barker's Undying, the Gabriel Knight adventures, and the System Shock games

Oh yes, Clive Barker's Clive Barker's Undying by Clive Barker was an excellent game. I have that on disc somewhere.

Shit, I jumped ten feet straight up at one part. And I KNEW that was going to happen.

Echo on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Try Metro 2033 it's pretty tense and no matter what others tell you there is not really a ammo limitation unless you're playing like a careless wiener.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This week's champion rotation sucks.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The crippled game play is half the point to Deadspace though. Of course its stupid when you can't run in Resident Evil even though you're some sort of paramilitary type.

But in Dead Space you're an engineer scared to shit who has no business being there.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Silent Hill. It had some forced perspective, but it really wasn't used for jumping out horror.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I like my psychological horror tension in games like I like my psychological horror tension in movies. Sporadic, intense, abrupt, and seemingly out of nowhere. Black Swan, basically. Though I think I'd really, really like a movie that did what Blue Velvet did, which is much different.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't want to play any of those champions.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    FroThulhu wrote: »

Limited ammunition
    The inability to run.

RIVS! Don't be that kid! Games can be scary/tense as fuck without dicked-up control and field of view/camera-style.

You were just playing Doom3; that game made me almost poop, and I've known a few people who were pretty freaked out at times while playing it. But, check it out: you have plenty of ammo, full field of view, you can run, jump, punch things and blow shit up.

I'd have to throw in Fatal Frame as long as you don't mind playing on a console and can handle some "weaboo"-ishness. Sure, you don't have an actual gun, but you have a camera that's basically a ghost gun, you can run, and while I'm pretty sure it did use forced perspectives similar to the old school resident evil one it wasn't anywhere near as bad. It's actually a pretty fantastic game, great mood, good story, the second has twin asian schoolgirls. What more could you ask for?

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Feral wrote: »

THere isn't much there to hold my attention if I don't end up liking Rammus.

Karthus is always waiting for me though.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011

ladieessssssssss

okay im done now

Arch on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    Try Metro 2033 it's pretty tense and no matter what others tell you there is not really a ammo limitation unless you're playing like a careless wiener.

This as well. Atmosphere out the wazoo.

Sheep on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    By this time the hallway scene in Silent Hill 2 should be a meme for perfectly done horror scenes.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I liked the relatively mundane horror of some of the set pieces in Heavy Rain
    Like finding a bottle of whisky and a flame so you could get yourself drunk enough and sterilize a knife to saw off your own finger to keep your son alive.

That to me was more engagingly horrifying than a super shark man

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Rent wrote: »

No

NO

lane rammus sucks

yeah i am going to jungle

Arch on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    One example from Undying that had me jumping out of my seat:

There's a room with a statue in a dry fountain in the middle.

I walk up to the statue.

It turns its head to me, screeches, rips its chest open so you see its beating heart, blood gushes out rapidly flooding the room.

I needed new pants.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Oh yes, Clive Barker's Clive Barker's Undying by Clive Barker was an excellent game. I have that on disc somewhere.

Shit, I jumped ten feet straight up at one part. And I KNEW that was going to happen.

I don't know why it didn't get more attention. It's a hell of a fun game and scary as all jesus.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

THere isn't much there to hold my attention if I don't end up liking Rammus.

Rammus is really, really awesome

but you have to be p good at jungling in order to use him

Rent on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The crippled game play is half the point to Deadspace though. Of course its stupid when you can't run in Resident Evil even though you're some sort of paramilitary type.

But in Dead Space you're an engineer scared to shit who has no business being there.

No, I'm a slightly overweight computer schlub sitting on his couch trying to enjoy a video game. Part of that enjoyment should be that my character in the video game is more agile than a slightly overweight computer schlub.

Feral on

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Rent wrote: »

No

NO

lane rammus sucks

yeah i am going to jungle

oh okay now I don't care

I mean, yay i don't have to fucking jungle for a while!

Rent on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Silent Hill. It had some forced perspective, but it really wasn't used for jumping out horror.

I didn't have a Playstation so never got to do any of those.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    You know what I hate? I hate it when in a shooting game you get judged by your accuracy.

Protip: you do not win a firefight by trying to hit something with every shot you fire.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i am going to jungle this week i can feel it

i am going to be good jungler

junglebungle

Arch on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Limited ammunition
    The inability to run.

come on. there is nothing wrong or weird with thinking that if a game wants to scare you, it should do so fairly without recourse to failing as a game.

the two Thief games are incredibly tense and scary as fuck and they play completely fair with controls, camera, ammunition, et cetera. they accomplish the scares with atmosphere and sound design and a lot of hard work instead of just making you not able to get away from lumbering mummies or whatever.

They don't fail as a game, Jacob. A big part of survival horror is asserting your mortality and insignificance, and taking away the traditional fps tropes reinforces that. It's a narrative technique that adds on to everything else, that turns it merely from a scary-go-round into an actual game.

The point of survival horror games is to survive - not to win - but just to get out alive. And the sheer acts of persistence and luck and pluck involved in that make it all the more admirable. Doom 3 and FEAR were enjoyable and even scary at points, but they're not predicated on survival as just your seeming average joe.

Also Ravenholm was kind of boring, really.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011

ladieessssssssss

okay im done now

I kind of want to buy Kog'maw

but then i think

"I already have two dps carries, do I need a third?"

and then I think

"but I suck with everybody but dps carries"

Feral on

• Options
    edited January 2011
    also the scarecrow bits in Arkham Asylum were surprisingly creepy

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    One example from Undying that had me jumping out of my seat:

There's a room with a statue in a dry fountain in the middle.

I walk up to the statue.

It turns its head to me, screeches, rips its chest open so you see its beating heart, blood gushes out rapidly flooding the room.

I needed new pants.

That doesn't seem scary to me, as it's not engaging the player. Like, if it took a step in my direction I'd flip the fuck out, but when it's just standing there, I can't get into it.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Silent Hills 1 and 2 still have some of the best video game music ever too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buf9g0F0b74&feature=related

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

ladieessssssssss

okay im done now

I kind of want to buy Kog'maw

but then i think

"I already have two dps carries, do I need a third?"

and then I think

"but I suck with everybody but dps carries"

this was my logic for a long time

kog maw is very fun if you get good at his R and just stack AP but he doesn't really shine till late game

Arch on
This discussion has been closed.