Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Es[chat]ology

1646567697077

Posts

  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Congrats, Incenj.

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    I AM NOT A RACIST BUT...

    Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kagera wrote: »
    Fartacus wrote: »

    I have long held that Ohio is one of the worst places on Earth. People talk all kinds of smack about the south, because they want everyone to overlook how venomously racist people really are up north.

    This is true.

    Then again, for a black town to receive the monetary benefits it needs during a recession apparently they have to ensure their town is next to some PRECIOUS FUCKING BIRDS FOR MISSISSIPPI TO GIVE A FUCK.

    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-january-24-2011/bird-like-me

    well

    poor people are the least endangered species on earth

    Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fartacus wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    Fartacus wrote: »

    To be honest thats what I got out of it to.

    The judge went way over the top in sentencing to be sure, but I don't see any evidence its racially motivated.

    Here's a tip:

    every conviction of a black or Mexican person in the American criminal justice system is racially motivated

    That's probably slightly overreaction isn't it?

    Nope

    I mean unconscious bias alone

    If you are white, and you live in America, your amygdala will activate at just the sight of a black man's photo

    If you're an American white person and you think you're not at least a little racist, you're fooling yourself

    You should probably word your statements a little (actually, a lot, because we are adults here) less dramatically.

    "Race plays an issue, even if only subconsciously, any time a person of color stands trial" is a good statement.

    What you said though makes it sound like colored people are incapable of criminal acts, and we just ship them all off to gulags to get rid of them. That's Michael Moore level of hysterical ranting and does your cause no good whatsoever.

    Regina Fong on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Whoo, I have an interview with Wizards of the Coast on Friday. :P

    :^:

    japan on
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2011
    You know what does more damage to the cause of fixing racial inequality in the justice system Fart?

    Claiming everything bad that happens to a minority is racially motivated.

    So we should brush aside the truth because it's not palatable?

    I mean, listen, I get that you can't yell "racism!" at a racist and change their mind. But this isn't a television ad or a protest or a lobbying effort, this is D&D. Obviously audience matters, but this is a reasonable audience to say these things.

    Fartacus on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm pretty sure that my amygdala will activate at the sight of a lot of white men's photos, too.

    Because frankly a lot of men trigger my anxiety in subtle but perceptible ways.

    It's kind of been a problem for exploring the gay side of my sexuality.

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Y'know what place is pretty great? Canada. Y'all are welcome up here any time, just leave your crazy shit behind.

    Give me a job and I will.

    Oh I'll give you a job :winky:






    you can be my chauffeur!

    Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    Fuck if I were a judge I would've let her get off with a few hundred hours of community service because A) she didn't really do anything that deserves that kind of financial shit and B) the community benefits.

    Though, the judge is right, that sends the message it's okay to falsify records.
    o_O Being punished tells people that the behavior that brought on the punishment is okay? What the fuck?

    Captain Carrot on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    Congrats, Incenj.

    <3

    I have the most random career.

    But hey at least I'm having fun.

    Incenjucar on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Illinois is a horrible place to live because of their eavesdropping law.

    Record a cop on tape? That's a 15 year sentence for you!

    Fuck THAT SHIT and FUCK YOU Illinois.

    Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nothing makes me sadder in this world than knowing I will never have the luxury of hearing Freddie Mercury's voice live in concert. :(

    Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that my amygdala will activate at the sight of a lot of white men's photos, too.

    Because frankly a lot of men trigger my anxiety in subtle but perceptible ways.

    It's kind of been a problem for exploring the gay side of my sexuality.

    okay like

    sometimes you say things that are exactly how i feel
    ALT POST: ladiesssssssssss!

    Arch on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    Who knows?

    in any particular incident? almost no one, ever

    which is why we look at the big picture. if you looked at each minority sentencing discretely we would run into this constantly, and i'm not even saying it's an irrational reaction. there would be people saying 'well what about this, what if it's just this' and so on, because like i said there's no way you can ever really know

    but that's why we look at the big picture and see 'hey, this keeps happening, there is probably something wrong here'

    Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fartacus wrote: »
    Nope

    I mean unconscious bias alone

    If you are white, and you live in America, your amygdala will activate at just the sight of a black man's photo

    If you're an American white person and you think you're not at least a little racist, you're fooling yourself

    You should probably word your statements a little (actually, a lot, because we are adults here) less dramatically.

    "Race plays an issue, even if only subconsciously, any time a person of color stands trial" is a good statement.

    What you said though makes it sound like colored people are incapable of criminal acts, and we just ship them all off to gulags to get rid of them. That's Michael Moore level of hysterical ranting and does your cause no good whatsoever.

    Interestingly, I agree with both of you.

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kagera wrote: »
    Illinois is a horrible place to live because of their eavesdropping law.

    Record a cop on tape? That's a 15 year sentence for you!

    Fuck THAT SHIT and FUCK YOU Illinois.

    What about company vehicles that have CCTV?

    japan on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kagera wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »

    I'd imagine the same thing would happen to anyone who falsified records to send their kid to a different school. Saying it's racially motivated seems... a bit off. The only one making that claim is the author.

    Lots of white parents wanting to send their kids to Inglewood High yep.
    It shouldn't be a jailable offense to want to send your kids to a better school, and it's ONLY jailable because ONLY minorities would want to do it because America still funds 'white' schools better than non-white schools.

    Or, you know, falsifying records to get their kid into the rich school 10 miles up the road would probably still land a white person in the same position. Probably with the same judgment.

    AHAHAHAHA, NO

    http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/burlington_county_times/bct_news_details/article/2465/2011/january/07/three-port-authority-employees-sentenced-for-falsifying-records.html

    It appears that, in general, the person is asked to pay back in full what was stolen. In this case it was the tuition of the school. Though I'm sure they will appeal and get it moved to a more reasonable sum with a difference between the two districts.

    Does this make it racially motivated? I am doubting it more. I mean unless all those guys are black too and the man is sticking it to them for breaking a crime, it seems it's pretty common trend when falsifying records.

    bowen on
    Ladies.
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    Oh no, you're absolutely right. The judgment was probably racially motivated.

    The crime and trial? Not so much.

    Fuck if I were a judge I would've let her get off with a few hundred hours of community service because A) she didn't really do anything that deserves that kind of financial shit and B) the community benefits.

    Though, the judge is right, that sends the message it's okay to falsify records. I still don't agree that it was the right judgment. But I also don't agree that anything other than maybe the judgment was racially motivated. For all I know that judge is a dick and does this to every case and goes for the maximum. Or that they're a closet racist. Who knows?

    But it's an unjust system.

    Individual victims of an unjust system shouldn't be criminalized for resisting apartheid

    Fartacus on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey wait Wal-Mart is buying up stores in Canada aren't they? Maybe I'll transfer to Canukistan!

    Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Holy shit, Jewcar! That's awesome. Do you know what you'll be working on?

    Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Y'know what place is pretty great? Canada. Y'all are welcome up here any time, just leave your crazy shit behind.

    Give me a job and I will.

    Oh I'll give you a job :winky:






    you can be my chauffeur!
    Cool. Should I just show up in Toronto at 8 am tomorrow?

    Captain Carrot on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Back to back crazy people. I think one of them might be a repeat offender about how gangs are using wi-fi to steal credit card numbers right off the credit card, even if it doesn't have an RFID chip. I really need to start directing these people to one of the pro-bono mental health services in the area.

    Thomamelas on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Holy shit, Jewcar! That's awesome. Do you know what you'll be working on?

    Customer Service. :P

    But it's a foot in the door.

    Of course the instant I am hired I will suddenly have no opinion about the game.

    Incenjucar on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fartacus wrote: »
    You know what does more damage to the cause of fixing racial inequality in the justice system Fart?

    Claiming everything bad that happens to a minority is racially motivated.

    So we should brush aside the truth because it's not palatable?

    I mean, listen, I get that you can't yell "racism!" at a racist and change their mind. But this isn't a television ad or a protest or a lobbying effort, this is D&D. Obviously audience matters, but this is a reasonable audience to say these things.

    Crying wolf. When you claim no minority in convicted of a crime without race being a factor you lose credibility when it really is the case that race was a factor.

    Styrofoam Sammich on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I :like: jailbreaking scenes in movies and tv shows.

    They're pretty much always great.

    Daxon on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Holy shit, Jewcar! That's awesome. Do you know what you'll be working on?

    Customer Service. :P

    But it's a foot in the door.

    For what product(s)?

    Paper RPGs?

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hypokeimenon I choose you!

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited January 2011
    Yeah fuck that judge.

    Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Believe it or not farts, I am mostly in agreement with you. I am definitely in agreement with you regarding this Ohio case.

    I just don't think your rhetoric does justice to your ideals some of the time.

    Regina Fong on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    hmmm

    i am reading these "amygdala response (visualized by fMRI) to skin tone etc" papers

    and given that they were able to get a positive fmri response from a dead fish in response to stimuli

    i think i need more conclusive evidence of incipient unconscious racial bias

    Arch on
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dogs are basically permanent toddlers.

    People react towards cruelty to dogs as they would cruelty towards a human toddler,

    and they should.

    Galahad on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kagera wrote: »
    Hey wait Wal-Mart is buying up stores in Canada aren't they? Maybe I'll transfer to Canukistan!

    Wal-Mart's been here for decades, man. It's Target we've just opened our doors to.

    Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Eastern coastal temptressRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that my amygdala will activate at the sight of a lot of white men's photos, too.

    Because frankly a lot of men trigger my anxiety in subtle but perceptible ways.

    It's kind of been a problem for exploring the gay side of my sexuality.

    You're like me with less trans.

    And more employment.

    Shivahn on
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2011
    THIS JUST IN: MINORITIES HAVE NEVER COMMITTED A CRIME EVER.

    MORE REVELATIONS AT 10

    Hey big surprise that's not what I said

    listen Styrofoam no offense but I'm not sure you have the intellectual tools for the sort of debate we try to carry out here

    like you seem pretty pathologically incapable of actually reading, internalizing, and then evaluating someone else's argument without turning it into a moronic parody

    It's not productive, and it's not persuasive

    a little self-examination is in order, I believe

    Fartacus on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    japan wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    Illinois is a horrible place to live because of their eavesdropping law.

    Record a cop on tape? That's a 15 year sentence for you!

    Fuck THAT SHIT and FUCK YOU Illinois.

    What about company vehicles that have CCTV?

    Recording of Audio with CCTV is frowned upon here. It rarely produces useful evidence and it has the potential to run afoul of actual wiretapping laws, rather then the Illinois AG's rather poor understanding of the law.

    Thomamelas on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »

    I'd imagine the same thing would happen to anyone who falsified records to send their kid to a different school. Saying it's racially motivated seems... a bit off. The only one making that claim is the author.

    Lots of white parents wanting to send their kids to Inglewood High yep.
    It shouldn't be a jailable offense to want to send your kids to a better school, and it's ONLY jailable because ONLY minorities would want to do it because America still funds 'white' schools better than non-white schools.

    Or, you know, falsifying records to get their kid into the rich school 10 miles up the road would probably still land a white person in the same position. Probably with the same judgment.

    AHAHAHAHA, NO

    http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/burlington_county_times/bct_news_details/article/2465/2011/january/07/three-port-authority-employees-sentenced-for-falsifying-records.html

    It appears that, in general, the person is asked to pay back in full what was stolen. In this case it was the tuition of the school. Though I'm sure they will appeal and get it moved to a more reasonable sum with a difference between the two districts.

    Does this make it racially motivated? I am doubting it more. I mean unless all those guys are black too and the man is sticking it to them for breaking a crime, it seems it's pretty common trend when falsifying records.

    The people in that article? PROBATION

    The lady trying to give her kid a step up? TEN DAYS IN JAIL.

    Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    evilbob on
    DDLLLLDL - Bottom in November
    WWDWDWWWWDWWWWLDWWW - Premiers in April
    WW - Champions in May

  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When you claim no minority in convicted of a crime without race being a factor you lose credibility when it really is the case that race was a factor.

    I'm comfortable saying that race is always a factor.

    That doesn't mean that a given person convicted was innocent, but it does mean that at some point in the process - arrest, interactions with DAs or PDs, severity of charges, terms of the plea bargain, likelihood of taking the plea bargain, likelihood of being offered mental health treatment, going to jury trial, jury selection, etc. - race influenced the course of events in some way.

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Y'know what place is pretty great? Canada. Y'all are welcome up here any time, just leave your crazy shit behind.

    Give me a job and I will.

    Oh I'll give you a job :winky:






    you can be my chauffeur!
    Cool. Should I just show up in Toronto at 8 am tomorrow?

    First I need to know if you're qualified. Do you know Kung Fu? Do you have your own leather chauffeur's outfit? How do you feel about crime fighting?

    Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    Fuck if I were a judge I would've let her get off with a few hundred hours of community service because A) she didn't really do anything that deserves that kind of financial shit and B) the community benefits.

    Though, the judge is right, that sends the message it's okay to falsify records.
    o_O Being punished tells people that the behavior that brought on the punishment is okay? What the fuck?

    In terms of "you only get community service because it wasn't really a bad bad thing to falsify this record." But not punishing her at all would be worse. I guess what Fart wants it us to say "it's okay you're black and want your kids to go to a better school, here's a cookie just don't break anymore laws, kay?" Is that it? Because I'm confused. She broke the law deliberately to get her kids in a different school district. Is it a crime to want your kids to have a better education? No. Is it a crime to falsify records? Yes.

    Maybe if she pulled herself up by her bootstraps she wouldn't be in this predicament.

    bowen on
    Ladies.
This discussion has been closed.