As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magicka] Murder yourself with magic.

• Options
    Glirk DientGlirk Dient Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Has anyone gotten the spellbook in chapter 1 that is located at the top of the tower? It is near where you find grease. There is a body to inspect and it says something about cheese and pans the camera to the top of the nearby tower. If you go to the otherside of the river you can see the top of the other tower that is connected to the first one. On the top of the second tower there is a spell book. I can't figure out any way to get up there.

Glirk Dient on
    XBL gamertag: GlurkDient
    Steam Username:Glirk_Dient
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Has anyone gotten the spellbook in chapter 1 that is located at the top of the tower? It is near where you find grease. There is a body to inspect and it says something about cheese and pans the camera to the top of the nearby tower. If you go to the otherside of the river you can see the top of the other tower that is connected to the first one. On the top of the second tower there is a spell book. I can't figure out any way to get up there.

You get it through the normal course of the game much, much later, but there's a way to do it with mines in Chapter 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urezrfEo1sE

freakish light on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

You get it through the normal course of the game much, much later, but there's a way to do it with mines in Chapter 1.

youtube.com/watch?v=urezrfEo1sE

Physics!

I love that spell, use it all the time to save my butt from certain demise. :^:

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    FED and DE-middleclick are also good if you get in trouble. RED is pretty good too but you should have an ice shield on just in case.

I found a gamebreaking spell in QRRSEA, actually. It does ridiculous damage, especially if you enchant your sword with it and then lay it down in a line. you really don't want to get caught in it lol.

freakish light on
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just so the new guys know the single most damaging spell in the game is dqrqrqrqr. Charged up to full nothing other than bosses or a sheilded mage will survive.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Was I the only one who (Dwarven City spoilers)
    faced down the dwarven army instead of hide? Vlad didn't even acknowledge my triumph. :(

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ferrus wrote: »
    faced down the dwarven army instead of hide? Vlad didn't even acknowledge my triumph. :(

You can hide from them? They're easy. The hardest part of the game are the stupid bullshit deaths where you get knocked off a platform or into water. And Fanfir sucked until I teleported behind him and stuck the M60 up his ass. Spells, who needs em.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Malechai wrote: »
    Just so the new guys know the single most damaging spell in the game is dqrqrqrqr. Charged up to full nothing other than bosses or a sheilded mage will survive.

does around 10k fully charged. its single target, but its still useful since even uncharged it does around 2k.

for sustained damage against a pack qfqfsaa is ridiculously good sustained damage. stick it in your sword and it does a 2500 slash in an arc in front of you.
    alternatively qfqfssa then shift and right click will clear the immediate area around you of pesky things in your life
    eg swarms of monsters, teammates.
    stuff like that.

another good one is qr qr qr qr a. basically this does about 12 aoe pellets like a shotgun blast. it will freeze and electrify whoever it hits. charging will narrow the spread, so fully charged you can get them all to hit the same guy.

against a boss type mob I find cold to freeze them first is a friend. and a cold beam (rrsaa) lets you take out a big boss without much trouble. just takes a little longer.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

If you back track to that side room after facing down the dwarven army, Vlad will appear.

I did that fight the fun way
    Army of the undead, attaaaaaack!
    QFDSR x 100, and then just sit back and watch the show 8-)
    For even more fun, since I had the Troll King Staff, I would occasionally charm a beholder or mage and let them murder each other.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »

You can hide from them? They're easy. The hardest part of the game are the stupid bullshit deaths where you get knocked off a platform or into water. And Fanfir sucked until I teleported behind him and stuck the M60 up his ass. Spells, who needs em.

They were a beast for me until I realized that I had elementals and could stay back where the checkpoint is and spam lighting elementals while under time warp and then us qfqfsaa to pick off the beholders and then qfqfsaa on my sword to nail any one that makes it past.

The one burr in my bonnet were the dwarven wizards with lighting shields, but with all my elementals healing each other with every slash, they couldn't get out until I had knocked them (the dwarves) down and dispelled my elementals.

I also never got grease at the start of the game and after having my elemental and zombie party during the end credits, I'm going back for sherlock holms, King's Quest, and brobe and wizard hat.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Game needs moar content. Someone let the developers know, goddamnit.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Anyone want to play this with someone starting out?

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Rakai wrote: »
    Anyone want to play this with someone starting out?

Wouldn't be opposed but about to head to work. If you still want to in about 10 hours from now or over the weekend I could walk around using the imba beam all day long.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This game has some bugs.
    During the second chapter, when you have to fight the goblins at the shipwrecked boat outside the town where you get the warhammer, once you defeat them and move onward, Vlad shows up and talks to you.

Every time he talks to me the game freezes. No error codes no nothing. I just do not regain control of my character. The music plays and nothing happens.

Has anyone else had this happen?
    I had some troubles just getting the game to run.

I'm glad I didn't pay full price. The game is fun, but all these issues are not.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If all else fails try Magicka Save Game Editor and just go to the next chapter. The goblin-mine kept crashing for me, one time as I got to the last boss, so I just skipped it. Can use the editor to give yourself anything you had to skip.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You are aware that the game was so buggy on release that they released a patch that added a crash to desktop spell, a staff that summoned bugs, and a robe covered in patches to cover up the holes?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You are aware that the game was so buggy on release that they released a patch that added a crash to desktop spell, a staff that summoned bugs, and a robe covered in patches to cover up the holes?

I thought those seemed strange.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Antithesis wrote: »

I thought those seemed strange.

Yeah they even had a song about it titled the gamer and magicka. http://www.magickagame.com/media/music

So anyone up for a run through the vietnam rescue mission? I keep making it to the end with pick up games but can't survive the mortars.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've just barely made it to that bridge with the teleport book, but I'll give it a go. Would it be possible to spam Life mines to heal barriers, or do barriers not work because the mortars come from above?

Antithesis on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So how is the Vietnam DLC? Funny? Hard? On par with the main storyline or are there any improvements?

Drake on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The uber bubble dosn't work cause everything has guns. Even if you get it up and over healed it goes down realy fast once you stop spamming heal mines.

Vietnam Rescue mission is a single challenge with multiple objectives and no check points. Once you die you start over from the begining. Napalm is awsome but the magicks in the vietnam mode are only that, Revive, Haste and time warp. The end of it is a never ending flood of enemies that will push your shit in while you wait for Vlad to show up with a chopper.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The uber bubble has been patched out. You can no longer overheal the bubble shield.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh, so, the "Vietnam DLC" that was half the price of the main game is basically just a survival map and one mission with no checkpoints?

Charging that price for that much content is cheeky, to say the least. Maybe instead of Napalm the spell should be called Buyer's Remorse.

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    For anyone wondering, I think steam is what you use on yourself to protect you from physical attacks, and I THINK it protects you from knockback, but I'm not sure.

Lemming on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ronya wrote: »
    The uber bubble has been patched out. You can no longer overheal the bubble shield.

On one hand, good it made a lot of hard parts trivial.

On the other hand, shit that makes a lot of trivial parts hard.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lemming wrote: »
    For anyone wondering, I think steam is what you use on yourself to protect you from physical attacks, and I THINK it protects you from knockback, but I'm not sure.

Not sure about knockback, but it is the physical resistance protection, yes.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A lot of knockback is caused by having a personal shield.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    is anyone else playing this with a 360 pad?

I find it really comfy playing with a pad, but I have a feeling that magic-casting with the thumbsticks will prove to be too slow in the long run. It might also explain why I'm getting my ass kicked a lot.

This game is entirely awesome though.

Tig on
  • Options
    MightyhogMightyhog Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is it possible to impose a frame rate cap on Magicka? I try to cap most newer games at 30 fps, but it seems like nothing will keep it lower than my refresh rate.

Mightyhog on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Tig wrote: »
    is anyone else playing this with a 360 pad?

I find it really comfy playing with a pad, but I have a feeling that magic-casting with the thumbsticks will prove to be too slow in the long run. It might also explain why I'm getting my ass kicked a lot.

This game is entirely awesome though.

I started with a pad and had to switch. Casting is infinitely faster on the keyboard, and it gets really hard in the later levels, so you need every advantage you can get.

freakish light on
  • Options
    belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    whoa, fuck. yes! just when i thought it couldn't be any better, they parody the tristram theme in my magicka.

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mightyhog wrote: »
    Is it possible to impose a frame rate cap on Magicka? I try to cap most newer games at 30 fps, but it seems like nothing will keep it lower than my refresh rate.

30 looks so rough, I couldn't imagine capping everything that low.

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Antithesis wrote: »
    I've just barely made it to that bridge with the teleport book, but I'll give it a go. Would it be possible to spam Life mines to heal barriers, or do barriers not work because the mortars come from above?

Yeah, that works with lemesee

edwww shift+rightclick while in a barrier to heal it.

I teleported in and out of it, using it as a safe zone.

Anyone else have too much using WWWWW shiftrightclick to educated some of the teleporting dwarves about your personal space?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Suds wrote: »

But bullets hurt so much D:

Arrath on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    qfsafe should help there: resistance to the damaging elements.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    so i picked this thing up last week and an enjoying the hell out of it but i have a few questions.
    1. not many people on multi its kind of sad I only ever see maybe 10 pw locked games and 1 or 2 un pwd games that are full.

2. i got the wizard dlc... where is my wizard hat supposedly i can equip them now? I have yet to find one...unless it is just the silly robe switch on hte char screen which would be disappointing at best.

Psiberian on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Arrath wrote: »
    Suds wrote: »

But bullets hurt so much D:

Well, you can get knocked down continuously so that you can't react, or just man up and heal yourself.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Psiberian wrote: »
    so i picked this thing up last week and an enjoying the hell out of it but i have a few questions.
    1. not many people on multi its kind of sad I only ever see maybe 10 pw locked games and 1 or 2 un pwd games that are full.

2. i got the wizard dlc... where is my wizard hat supposedly i can equip them now? I have yet to find one...unless it is just the silly robe switch on hte char screen which would be disappointing at best.

Yeah, the wizard hat and staff +1 are the robe switch on the character select screen. The game doesn't have an inventory and the only items you find are swords and staves.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Yeah, the wizard hat and staff +1 are the robe switch on the character select screen. The game doesn't have an inventory and the only items you find are swords and staves.

At least it comes with meteor storm which is a spectacular way to kill yourself and all of your co op buddies, probably a few enemies too.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Oops.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg