As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magicka] Murder yourself with magic.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    So it's confirmed: Steam version now, non-Steam version later. 2 Versions cannot mp together, non-Steam version will feature online and LAN play that is independent of Steam.

Two PC versions that can't play together seems like a bad idea. Someone tell them that they can sell Steam games on other download services and that some other developers does so.

I'll be waiting for the non-Steam version so I can sell my friends on getting copies for LAN play. We've had waaay too many issues with Steam (DoW 2!) in terms of LAN gaming. I will be playing the shit out of the demo come this evening though.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So it's confirmed: Steam version now, non-Steam version later. 2 Versions cannot mp together, non-Steam version will feature online and LAN play that is independent of Steam.

Two PC versions that can't play together seems like a bad idea. Someone tell them that they can sell Steam games on other download services and that some other developers does so.

I'll be waiting for the non-Steam version so I can sell my friends on getting copies for LAN play. We've had waaay too many issues with Steam (DoW 2!) in terms of LAN gaming. I will be playing the shit out of the demo come this evening though.

Doesn't DoW 2 use Games for Windows Live as well? I seem to remember that. The steam version of Magicka uses Steamworks for everything, so it should turn out alright. Already got my copy, would like to get a game going sometime later today.

Musan on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Musan wrote: »

Doesn't DoW 2 use Games for Windows Live as well? I seem to remember that. The steam version of Magicka uses Steamworks for everything, so it should turn out alright. Already got my copy, would like to get a game going sometime later today.

Don't get me started on GFWL. That's an entire thread's worth of bitching right there.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This will be getting some serious play from me I'm sure. I'm out for all you can eat Brazilian barbecue tonight but if it's not too late when I get home then I will give the demo a download!

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So after my initial disappointed reaction of deleting the demo (due to abysmal performance), I re-downloaded it in an effort to see if there were any .ini tweaks or anything that were obvious. No such luck. I don't suppose anyone's found anything yet? I really like the game, I'd just like to be able to play it...

*goes back to Mass Effect, grumbling that any computer that can run that should be able to run Magicka*

Jazz on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    C2B wrote: »
    There are way too many ARPGs this year. Way too many.

Between this, Torchlight 2, Diablo 3 and Dungeon Siege 3 I think I will have to cut on my precious free time.

That's adorable.

Which is to say that you actually think Diablo 3 will be out this year. :P

Okay, it's a non-zero chance, but it's one of those "so functionally close to zero it might as well be zero" things. We'll be lucky to see it before the end of [strike]the world[/strike] 2012.

But this isn't a Diablo 3 thread. This is the Magicka thread, which is sounding more and more awesome by the page. Definitely going to have to grab the demo and give it a whirl at some point this week.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ColtaineColtaine Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just got this after reading the RPS article! aaaannd won't be able to unlock for another hour....

Coltaine on
    I am feeling unusually loquacious. Thus.

As many-handed as a cuttlefish.
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Played the demo for a bit this morning, holy crap this will be fun multiplayer.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    BathTubbBathTubb Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bought this game. added me to friend list if wanna play.

BathTubb on
    Steam-BathTubb Xbox Live - Bathtubb
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm a little confused and concerned about two PC versions that are incompatible. When it comes down to it, I'll get the Steam version, but dividing your games community is never a good idea. Hopefully there won't be a dead version.

Drake on
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jazz, Maybe you skipped the pre-game installs?

try reinstalling
    xna redistributable (xnafx31_redist.exe)
    microsoft .net framework 3.5 (dotNetFx35setup.exe)
    from c:\program\steam\steamapps\common\magicka demo\

rRootagea on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    rRootagea wrote: »

try reinstalling

Nope, I let them run and do their thing. I'll try re-running them, see if it helps.

Jazz on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh hey, restartm steam, installing the main game now.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

try reinstalling
    I had a problem with the demo and I think this is the problem. One of the preinstalls (xna I think) threw an error. Not sure which. I'll try that tonight.

It would run, but would periodically crash my old 3850 graphics card. Which is odd, as the computer wouldn't crash, the game would flicker and hang until the drivers restated and I could play again... for a few moments and then it would crash again. I'm guessing it has something to do with the xna as I don't recognize having that installed before.

Vicktor on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow, I love how fast STEAM downloads shit. This game looks ridiculously simple and amazingly satisfying.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So did a steam group get made for this? I need people to [strike]accidentally murder[/strike] team up with.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Whoo downloading now, if anyone wants to get some co-op going in 18 minutes send me a message

Redlance on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Funny. I was replaying the demo and when I quit it I notice that the full game is out.

Under DLC (in the game properties in Steam), it says I have "Magicka: Forum Registration Key". Any ideas what that's about? They only want people that bought the game to post on their forums? It doesn't have any CD-keys in Steam, but I guess it might be an in-game thing.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I have discovered two unfortunate things. No seeming way to password a game, nor a way to boot people. :?

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Awww. Figured out QRDS just before my time was up :(

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maybe you should try out T E N B U X?

e~ +LMB

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Vicktor wrote: »

try reinstalling
    I had a problem with the demo and I think this is the problem. One of the preinstalls (xna I think) threw an error. Not sure which. I'll try that tonight.

It would run, but would periodically crash my old 3850 graphics card. Which is odd, as the computer wouldn't crash, the game would flicker and hang until the drivers restated and I could play again... for a few moments and then it would crash again. I'm guessing it has something to do with the xna as I don't recognize having that installed before.

Radeon HD3850? I've got a Radeon HD3450 in my laptop, with a 2.2GHz C2D, 3GB, Vista. I really can't see any reason why a game like this should struggle on my system, even though it's far from state-of-the-art.

Re-ran the XNA redistributable, okay. Re-ran .NET, got an error. Tried it again, error. Went into Control Panel and repaired the installation successfully. Went back to the game. I think it's running a little better, but not by a whole lot. Controls are still laggy as hell, often having to hold down a key or mouse button to get it to respond at all. The main menu (the spellbook) is unbelievably slow and laggy. The game's playable if I drop the resolution to 800x600, but seriously, eff that. And I'm not someone who demands 60fps locked to declare a game "playable" by any means.

Gonna have to give up on this for now. A real shame. :(

Anyone else having performance problems on similarly-specced hardware, or are you all rocking machines that'd steal my laptop's lunch?

Jazz on
  • Options
    RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jazz wrote: »
    Vicktor wrote: »

try reinstalling

Radeon HD3850? I've got a Radeon HD3450 in my laptop, with a 2.2GHz C2D, 3GB, Vista. I really can't see any reason why a game like this should struggle on my system, even though it's far from state-of-the-art.

Re-ran the XNA redistributable, okay. Re-ran .NET, got an error. Tried it again, error. Went into Control Panel and repaired the installation successfully. Went back to the game. I think it's running a little better, but not by a whole lot. Controls are still laggy as hell, often having to hold down a key or mouse button to get it to respond at all. The main menu (the spellbook) is unbelievably slow and laggy. The game's playable if I drop the resolution to 800x600, but seriously, eff that. And I'm not someone who demands 60fps locked to declare a game "playable" by any means.

Gonna have to give up on this for now. A real shame. :(

Anyone else having performance problems on similarly-specced hardware, or are you all rocking machines that'd steal my laptop's lunch?
    Try running it windowed. I have a ATi 4850 and unless I run it windowed it stutters a lot.

Redlance on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So did a steam group get made for this? I need people to [strike]accidentally murder[/strike] team up with.

This has come up in the general Steam thread a couple of times, but rather than having a whole pile of small groups that rarely have more than a handful of people in them, perhaps we should try to use an existing group (such as the PA Adventures one) to try to funnel people together? Better one semi-regularly used group than a dozen that barely peak over a couple users at a time within a month of release, right?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I have discovered two unfortunate things. No seeming way to password a game, nor a way to boot people. :?

Yeah, the online connnectivity stuff seems very basic. I really hope they patch in some kind of option for private games, be it through passwords or not having your game listed in the server browser.

I'm going to play some now, so add me on Steam if you wanna join me.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Eww. I may have to hold off on this, as much as I adore the demo. Maybe they'll add it in an update. But will both versions get the update?

See. This is why it's a bad idea to put out different versions of a game.

Drake on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm holding off indefinitely, my laptop runs the game, but it's kinda choppy and laggy. Bummer.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Forar wrote: »

This has come up in the general Steam thread a couple of times, but rather than having a whole pile of small groups that rarely have more than a handful of people in them, perhaps we should try to use an existing group (such as the PA Adventures one) to try to funnel people together? Better one semi-regularly used group than a dozen that barely peak over a couple users at a time within a month of release, right?

Point, I guess I'll sit in the general "Penny Arcade" group chat.

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Redlance wrote: »
    Try running it windowed. I have a ATi 4850 and unless I run it windowed it stutters a lot.

No better for me, and with whopping amounts of what appears to be H-sync (?) tearing. :(

Jazz on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If someone causes trouble in your game you can just explode them and not revive them.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm holding off indefinitely, my laptop runs the game, but it's kinda choppy and laggy. Bummer.

Maybe it just hates mobile GPUs.

Jazz on
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yeah, the online connnectivity stuff seems very basic. I really hope they patch in some kind of option for private games, be it through passwords or not having your game listed in the server browser.

One of the server filter options is for friends

rRootagea on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

One of the server options is for friends

I see that in the server browser filter, but not anything like "friends only" when hosting.

Peewi on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jazz, you've gotten updated drivers for your GPU and whatnot, right?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    DrxLecterDrxLecter Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arrath wrote: »
    I couldn't even get it to load up the demo. I got some "syntax error" while it was installing, and it just didn't work. The laptop is sort of a piece of shit anyway, so...

That syntax error seems to be happening for everyone. Thing is, its just the DirectX installer doing that. Game should run fine. Try downloading a DirectX package directly and installing that? Or maybe your laptop has a good old intel integrated graphics thing and has no hope of running it.

Fuck, is this game like amnesia and doesn't run on integrated intel chipsets? I need to start checking threads like this before I waste even more money.

DrxLecter on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So what's the scoop on the full version's multiplayer? I'm dying to hear some impressions.

Drake on
  • Options
    CelethangCelethang Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I for one can't even find or connect to my friend's game, and they can't find or connect to mine. The server browser system is pretty terrible honestly.

Celethang on
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wait what's this about two versions? I just assumed there was just the Steam version.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Apparently the Steam and non-Steam versions are different, and unable to play together or something?

The demo was interesting enough, but I'm not really sure I can justify buying the full thing at the moment. Sounds like there are... issues, which'll hopefully get fixed soon.

Burnage on