As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Space 2: How Many Licks Does It Take to Get to the Center of a Necromorph?

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Unitologists take priority though.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Technically they still get absorbed and turned into bioslurry eventually. As do the regular necros if I understand the science logs. And they can then be spat out as big or fancy necros.

Basically they're fucked no matter what so have fun with the corpses!

Astale on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Astale wrote: »
    Technically they still get absorbed and turned into bioslurry eventually. As do the regular necros if I understand the science logs. And they can then be spat out as big or fancy necros.

Basically they're fucked no matter what so have fun with the corpses!

as long as they don't do whatever they do while i'm around

THAT is why we stomp, gentlemen

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So after waiting hours for it to download, I actually don't have to time play DS1 this evening.

I played the opening up to the first save station.

That's as scary as it gets right??

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So after waiting hours for it to download, I actually don't have to time play DS1 this evening.

You have no idea...

Akilae on
  • Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I beat this over the weekend. I played on Normal and I still found it to be pretty tense. I was only in danger of running out of ammo/meds once or twice when I was nowhere near a store. I did die a few times out of stupidity mainly, but I find the game scary enough without having to worry about not finding enough health or ammo.

I did have one pretty awesome/scary moment which I can't be sure if it was a bug or not. It was in Ch. 13 right after
    the lasers where you have to make your way down those platforms that wrap around the big hole in the middle, where you then fight a brute at the bottom.
    Anyway, I was walking through a door, thinking I had dispatched all the Necromorphs. I thought I heard the sound of one just hanging out, but it could be just the ambient noise. I decided to turn around and bam! there is a black slasher slowly walking behind me like he is stalking me. He didn't do the normal yell they do until I shot him, and he then ran and tried to get away in a vent, but I stopped him. I thought it might be some sort of bug because he was close enough that he probably should have attacked me, but he kind of slowly walked behind me. Whatever the case, it made for a pretty great moment.

Shaggy on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You stomp all human corpses in dead space so they don't end up as necromorphs. It is the right thing to do.

My warcry through the second game was, "ANKLES ARE FOR THE LIVING"

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Grargh.
    My first stab at Hardcore is over.
    I take out the Tripod with no health lost and only one shot wasted.
    The train goes well, with only one necro getting close enough to hit me.
    The first Pack fight messes me up good and proper, so I sell my spare stasis packs to get enough for the Pulse Rifle.
    Last dangerous room before reaching the church, and I'm feeling pretty confident, so I decide to stick around, kill the necros rather than run, so I can loot the area.
    Shriekbang and I'm dead, I think to an exploder I never even knew was there.

I don't know whether to just try again tomorrow evening, or go back to a Survivalist run for more practice.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    klemming wrote: »
    Grargh.
    The first Pack fight messes me up good and proper, so I sell my spare stasis packs to get enough for the Pulse Rifle.
    Last dangerous room before reaching the church, and I'm feeling pretty confident, so I decide to stick around, kill the necros rather than run, so I can loot the area.

I don't know whether to just try again tomorrow evening, or go back to a Survivalist run for more practice.

You need skill for hardcore, but you also need a bit of luck. There are a fair amount of times in the game where you either need to know it's coming or you never see it (leapers from above with no audio cue, etc).

How patient are you? If your answer is "extremely patient" just do hardcore more. I've sunk at least 8-12 hours into dying in hardcore, and the result is me memorizing almost the entire first 10 chapters so far.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Rend wrote: »
    Grargh.

You need skill for hardcore, but you also need a bit of luck. There are a fair amount of times in the game where you either need to know it's coming or you never see it (leapers from above with no audio cue, etc).

How patient are you? If your answer is "extremely patient" just do hardcore more. I've sunk at least 8-12 hours into dying in hardcore, and the result is me memorizing almost the entire first 10 chapters so far.

Patience is less of an issue than available play time. I have four hours an evening if I'm lucky, so I'm more or less forced to save when I'm out of time.
    Assuming that a slow, careful game will take me about eight hours, and the fact that I'd really prefer to put most of my saves in the last half of the game, the first six chapters are going to be the challenge.

I think I'll go through on Survivalist again, and keep a save before each tough area. Keep doing them until I know them inside out, and know which areas I can just run through (I'm pretty sure I could have just stasised a couple of guys and made a dash for the church, but I couldn't remember what loot I was passing up)

klemming on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rend wrote: »
    Grargh.

Patience is less of an issue than available play time. I have four hours an evening if I'm lucky, so I'm more or less forced to save when I'm out of time.
    Assuming that a slow, careful game will take me about eight hours, and the fact that I'd really prefer to put most of my saves in the last half of the game, the first six chapters are going to be the challenge.

I think I'll go through on Survivalist again, and keep a save before each tough area. Keep doing them until I know them inside out, and know which areas I can just run through (I'm pretty sure I could have just stasised a couple of guys and made a dash for the church, but I couldn't remember what loot I was passing up)

If you're going to go through again on NG+ then do a Zealot run. It'll help prepare you for Hardcore. Zealot isn't that much more difficult when doing it as NG+. I didn't die at all until
    the school
    on my current play through.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They should at least allow a quick save if you're doing Hardcore. It is really hard to play through a whole 6 hours in one shot for anyone

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Hahahaha. Oh man, you are fucked.

Sepah on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    They should at least allow a quick save if you're doing Hardcore. It is really hard to play through a whole 6 hours in one shot for anyone

Yeah, this is pretty much the reason I won't be attempting hardcore. I grew up in the NES days. The "Nintendo Hard" days are behind me forever. I just don't have the time to put into it.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man. DS2 seems alright, but I have a nagging feeling that I'm missing a little something since it fails to scare me, just like DS. It looks and plays great, but I'm slightly irritated when necros spawn in locations which I've cleared, and where they could not physically get without going through me on the way. Then they backstab me when I'm looking to the only physically possible direction they could be coming from. This is compounded by the screwy sounds, where they might gurgle on my right, and when I look there, it turns out the necro was on my left. It seems a little haphazard when the sounds work right and when the don't, but that might be an issue with my system.

Still, it's been good fun, and just like DS I'm really digging the visual design, especially the suits.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    so...zealot as your first run is one of the hardest things ever

what bonuses in NG+ do i get for completing a zealot run? it had better be like blowjobs and cake level of goodies

Rent on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Man. DS2 seems alright, but I have a nagging feeling that I'm missing a little something since it fails to scare me, just like DS. It looks and plays great, but I'm slightly irritated when necros spawn in locations which I've cleared, and where they could not physically get without going through me on the way. Then they backstab me when I'm looking to the only physically possible direction they could be coming from. This is compounded by the screwy sounds, where they might gurgle on my right, and when I look there, it turns out the necro was on my left. It seems a little haphazard when the sounds work right and when the don't, but that might be an issue with my system.

Still, it's been good fun, and just like DS I'm really digging the visual design, especially the suits.

Yeah that sound issue has to be unique to your sound system. I use a pair of 7.1 surround headphones and all the sounds are accurate in the direction it comes from.

I swear that headphones make all the difference in the world for Dead Space. Turn them up loud and your body will simply react to the loud noises. You'll jump instinctively. Unless you have nerves of steel that is...

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    If you're going to go through again on NG+ then do a Zealot run. It'll help prepare you for Hardcore. Zealot isn't that much more difficult when doing it as NG+. I didn't die at all until
    the school

I did Zealot on NG+, and didn't find it hard.
    The fact that I had everything I wanted (and enough money to eat health packs until I was sick) really took all the tension out. It was just a case of being fast enough to hit B if I was hit.

I'm pretty good against single tough enemies, so things like the brutes/tripods don't worry me much. And once I get the pulse rifle, the Pack/Crawlers won't be a worry.
    The areas I see giving me trouble on hardcore are open areas with regular necros, like the spot where I died, the area in chapter 6 with three waves of leapers (god, I hope I can just run through that one), and the mine area on chapter 11.
    Oh, and the second visit to the Transport Hub. I know it's right before the disc change, but if I reach it and I don't have health packs coming out my ears, I'm saving.

With most of the other trouble spots, I can generally get to a spot where I can see them all coming. If I know they're there or where they're coming from, I can handle them.

klemming on
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I also have 7.1 surround. Sometimes I'll have off noises from behind and around me, but that normally ends up being ambient sounds. When a necro spawns, the surround is a great way of knowing which way to turn.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    the school

The fact that I had everything I wanted (and enough money to eat health packs until I was sick) really took all the tension out. It was just a case of being fast enough to hit B if I was hit.

I'm pretty good against single tough enemies, so things like the brutes/tripods don't worry me much. And once I get the pulse rifle, the Pack/Crawlers won't be a worry.
    The areas I see giving me trouble on hardcore are open areas with regular necros, like the spot where I died, the area in chapter 6 with three waves of leapers (god, I hope I can just run through that one), and the mine area on chapter 11.
    Oh, and the second visit to the Transport Hub. I know it's right before the disc change, but if I reach it and I don't have health packs coming out my ears, I'm saving.

With most of the other trouble spots, I can generally get to a spot where I can see them all coming. If I know they're there or where they're coming from, I can handle them.

The transport hub:
    If you park yourself in front of the door that Ellie is opening for you, you can see everything coming.

That doesn't mean, of course, that you can actually deal with all of those necros.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rent wrote: »
    so...zealot as your first run is one of the hardest things ever

what bonuses in NG+ do i get for completing a zealot run? it had better be like blowjobs and cake level of goodies

I think it unlocks Arctic camo security suit in the store , as well as the rest of the unlocks for beating the game. It really is satisfying to do it as your first run though. Made things so much more tense and scary.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    the school

The transport hub:
    If you park yourself in front of the door that Ellie is opening for you, you can see everything coming.

That doesn't mean, of course, that you can actually deal with all of those necros.

I did this on my current Survivalist run and it's the only time I've died so far

Green on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Picked up DS 1 & 2 the other day, got five hours into the former.

I have just realized that I'm playing Space Hulk as a Techmarine. I have just realized that this does not diminish my enjoyment of the game.

Question on weapons: I got all the damage upgrades on my pistol, and then bough the Flamethrower and the Ripper. Are they, like, supposed to be worthless? Have I been punk'd? I can't even kill the basic slashers without getting hit.

I'm playing hard, if that matters.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Flamer sucks major ass. The Ripper is fine, but it needs some node work before it's a kick ass death machine

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011

Invest in a nightlight.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Invest in a nightlight.

And The Ripper.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cantido wrote: »

Invest in a nightlight.

And The Ripper.

After using the Plasma Cutter and Pulse Rifle exclusively for my first run on Normal (in DS2), I've moved over to the Line Gun and Ripper for my second run on Survivalist. Ripper, baby, where have you been all my life?

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I used just the Line gun/Plasma cutter for the whole of DS1 and 2.

What can I say, I like lines of gaseous death.

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Once I got past the first Tripod fight without dying, Hardcore mode seems a lot more doable.

Got Plasma Rounds and Med Kits in the bank, well on my way to maxed cutter and RIG, I think I can do this.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Once I got past the first Tripod fight without dying, Hardcore mode seems a lot more doable.

Got Plasma Rounds and Med Kits in the bank, well on my way to maxed cutter and RIG, I think I can do this.

yeah, that tripod fight was a roadblock for me too. actually put my first hardcore save right before it because i was tired of doing the intro.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finally.

Finished hardcore mode. Saved at 8, 12, and 14. Died a total of 3 or 4 times in the whole run, which I accomplished all today.

I AM ISAAC CLARKE, NECROMORPHS, AND I AM HERE TO TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT

Rend on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Picked up DS 1 & 2 the other day, got five hours into the former.

I have just realized that I'm playing Space Hulk as a Techmarine. I have just realized that this does not diminish my enjoyment of the game.

Question on weapons: I got all the damage upgrades on my pistol, and then bough the Flamethrower and the Ripper. Are they, like, supposed to be worthless? Have I been punk'd? I can't even kill the basic slashers without getting hit.

I'm playing hard, if that matters.

The Flamethrower in DS1 gets a lot of flak, but it isn't completely worthless. The key is to know that fire does constant damage, but it depends on the area it hits. Sweep the legs and wait for a second, and the necro goes down. Try to blast them in the chest, and they'll still be alive after they've slashed your face off.
    There are some situations it's great for (I've never gotten out of a tentacle grab faster with any other weapon, half a second and you're done), but it's the least practical weapon in the game.

They overhaul it in DS2 so it causes stagger when it hits, which makes it much more useful against anything that has to get close to you.

klemming on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finally started up my Zealot run, blasted through the first four chapters like that. The game's a lot faster when you don't let the scares get to you.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When you complete Hardcore, do youautomatically unlock the Achievement for Zealot as well??

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Seanron wrote: »
    When you complete Hardcore, do youautomatically unlock the Achievement for Zealot as well??

No, I don't think so.
    Although anyone who beats Hardcore is going to laugh in Zealot's face.

klemming on
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

No, I don't think so.

Darn, skipped Zealot and went straight onto Hardcore, almost on the second disc now. Oh well, guess that's another playthrough of this wonderful game :)

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

No, I don't think so.

It doesnt, some people do Hardcore first to use the Foam Gun on Zealot.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    so a friend said in the first BRUTE fight you can see a poster for EA's SKATE 3000, haven't had a chance to confirm yet, anybody confirm?

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    so a friend said in the first BRUTE fight you can see a poster for EA's SKATE 3000, haven't had a chance to confirm yet, anybody confirm?

I do recall seeing a banner that said "Skate". Didn't get too good a look at it though, I was a tad preoccupied.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.