As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Space 2: How Many Licks Does It Take to Get to the Center of a Necromorph?

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The DLC could be terrible.

Comfort yourself in that, and the fact that you are playing the only version that can do 1080p.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    god, i wish there was more standardization of multiplatform video games. this "special-flavored" shit has got to STOP.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I picked up my PS3 CE last night.

I was informed that the PS3 version does not come with the plasma cutter toy - they wrongfully put up advertisements showing it. I didn't mind - it was $10 cheaper and had everything else. The woman at the checkout said she was glad I was okay about it, some people got really angry. Really? Angry at a store clerk for a fuckup at head office?

Anyway, I played through the first chapter and a half, and fuck me. The opening for this game was strong. I love all of the improvised stuff, like how he makes all his initial equipment out of stuff he finds on medical trays. But really - a plasma cutter used for heart surgery? Sure, I guess.

But that look on his face when he puts on his first rig. Priceless.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I stomp around in heavy boots sometimes

sayin' aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayo

killed a necccccccccccro

T4CT on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The PS3 CE does come with the Plasma Cutter. Your not missing much, it's pretty much a happy meal toy.

The reason that the PC version isn't getting DLC is that EA couldn't be assed to come up with a DRM solution for it and build it into the game (ala Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age) and doesn't trust Microsoft (GFWL) or Valve (Steam) enough to use that as their DLC platform.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh now I see why our toy gun is a shitty happy meal toy. You get the real one for 150 bucks on the Dead Space store site.

Want so hard.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh now I see why our toy gun is a shitty happy meal toy. You get the real one for 150 bucks on the Dead Space store site.

Want so hard.

Wow, nice.

I should get that too, so I have one for myself and one for my nephew :)

gjaustin on
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I'm gonna try for Hardcore, but the way I'm gonna do it is play through a very large chunk of the game first on Zealot, than play through that very same section on Hardcore so I know what to look out for. Have the game, not just fresh, but very fresh in my mind.

Just got to Chapter 7, decided that's a great place to make my first Hardcore save. Was gonna do it with just the Plasma Cutter, but the Javelin has proved so incredibly useful that it'll get nodes before the cutter does.

I'll be filling my inventory to the brim with health packs. Wish me luck.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MOTHERFUCKING UNDEAD VELOCIRAPTORS GODDAMNIT

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ...snuck up behind him and took his arm. He said something about slicing me with his arm and I was like "Dude, you have no arm" and ran off

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    ...snuck up behind him and took his arm. He said something about slicing me with his arm and I was like "Dude, you have no arm" and ran off

hahahahaha

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    so how's the multiplayer for this

is it a rip off of l4d's?

because it looks like a rip off of l4d's

iowa on
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It really isn't at all, it's it's own thang, but I once thought like you did

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The PS3 CE does come with the Plasma Cutter. Your not missing much, it's pretty much a happy meal toy.

Odd. They had boxes with the guns for the PC and 360 CE, but not the PS3. Maybe it's an Australia thing.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    so
    The Tormentor
    i think something cool happened, but all i saw was a blur, i did do it first time mind... but yeah, that felt like 10FPS.

also: Where the hell are you clowns! I'm all alone here!

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know how you guys play on anything higher than normal where there's hardly any ammo or health packs, I'm playing on Casual and loving how I'm just annihilating everything in my path without worrying about running out of shots or dying in 2 hits.

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    even on impossible in DS1, i ended the game with a ton of spare ammo in the bank. i expect to be in the same position at the end of DS2 regardless of difficulty.

i don't think i've ever run out of ammo in a dead space game. i just learn the minimum shots needed to take out a creature, and never shoot more than that.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Allforce wrote: »
    I don't know how you guys play on anything higher than normal where there's hardly any ammo or health packs, I'm playing on Casual and loving how I'm just annihilating everything in my path without worrying about running out of shots or dying in 2 hits.

There's two mindsets to playing these kinds of games:

Shoot Em Up

and

Just Survive

A part of adding suspense and horror/fear to games is always being low on health and ammo. A lot of times you can't kill all the enemies, you just have to get through the room to your next safespot, or use only a shot or two to keep enemies at bay.

The goal is to get through the place alive, not exterminate the enemies.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Since the dlc doesn't say what it contains I found these descriptions in case someone is looking to buy them.

MARTIAL LAW PACK:
    EarthGov Bundle-

EarthGov Security Suit (increases damage 5% for detonator, Seeker Rifle, Pulse Rifle)
    EarthGov Pulse Rifle (increases alt-fire damage 5%, reload speed 10%)
    EarthGov Seeker Rifle (increases damage 5%, firing speed 5%)
    EarthGov Detonator (increases damage 5%, firing speed 5%)

Bloody Bundle-

Bloody Vintage Suit (increases damage 5% for Flamethrower, Javelin Gun, Force Gun)
    Bloody Flamethrower (increases damage 5%, reload speed 10%)
    Bloody Javelin Gun (increases alt-fire damage 5%, reload speed 5%)
    Bloody Force Gun (increases alt-fire damage 5%, firing speed 5%)
    SUPER NOVA PACK:
    Forged Bundle-

Forged Engineering Suit (15% medpack bonus)
    Forged Plasma Cutter (increases damage 10%, reload speed 5%)
    Forged Line Gun (increases firing speed 5%, alt-fire damage 10%)
    Forged Ripper (primary fire lasts one second longer, increases alt-fire damage 10%)

Heavy-Duty Bundle-

Heavy-Duty Vintage Suit (increases damage 5% for Line Gun, Detonator, Contact Beam)
    Heavy-Duty Line Gun (increases reload speed 10%, damage 5%)
    Heavy-Duty Contact Beam (primary fire charge reduced by 0.1 seconds, damage increase 5%)
    Heavy-Duty Detonator (increases reload speed 10%, damage 5%)

Agility Bundle-

Agility Advanced Suit (10% increases to Stasis duration)
    Agility Rivet Gun (increases reload speed 5%, firing speed 5%)
    Agility Plasma Cutter (increases reload speed 5%, firing speed 5%)
    Agility Pulse Rifle (increases reload speed 5%, firing speed 5%)
    OCCUPATIONAL HAZARD PACK:
    Hazard Bundle-

Hazard Suit (5% increase to Stasis duration
    Hazard Line Gun (increases alt-fire damage 5%, reload speed 5%)

Triage Bundle-

Triage Suit (10% medpack bonus)
    Triage Javelin Gun (increases damage 10%, reload speed 5%)

Shockpoint Bundle-

Shockpoint Suit (decreases Stasis recharge 5%)
    Shockpoint Ripper (primary fire lasts one second longer, increases reload speed 5%)

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It really isn't at all, it's it's own thang, but I once thought like you did

Could you elaborate on this? This might be the tipping point for me buying this game instead of living vicariously through Let's Plays ;p If there's good co-op, I can't resist.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Since the dlc doesn't say what it contains I found these descriptions in case someone is looking to buy them.

MARTIAL LAW PACK:
    EarthGov Bundle-

EarthGov Security Suit (increases damage 5% for detonator, Seeker Rifle, Pulse Rifle)
    EarthGov Pulse Rifle (increases alt-fire damage 5%, reload speed 10%)
    EarthGov Seeker Rifle (increases damage 5%, firing speed 5%)
    EarthGov Detonator (increases damage 5%, firing speed 5%)

Bloody Bundle-

Bloody Vintage Suit (increases damage 5% for Flamethrower, Javelin Gun, Force Gun)
    Bloody Flamethrower (increases damage 5%, reload speed 10%)
    Bloody Javelin Gun (increases alt-fire damage 5%, reload speed 5%)
    Bloody Force Gun (increases alt-fire damage 5%, firing speed 5%)
    SUPER NOVA PACK:
    Forged Bundle-

Forged Engineering Suit (15% medpack bonus)
    Forged Plasma Cutter (increases damage 10%, reload speed 5%)
    Forged Line Gun (increases firing speed 5%, alt-fire damage 10%)
    Forged Ripper (primary fire lasts one second longer, increases alt-fire damage 10%)

Heavy-Duty Bundle-

Heavy-Duty Vintage Suit (increases damage 5% for Line Gun, Detonator, Contact Beam)
    Heavy-Duty Line Gun (increases reload speed 10%, damage 5%)
    Heavy-Duty Contact Beam (primary fire charge reduced by 0.1 seconds, damage increase 5%)
    Heavy-Duty Detonator (increases reload speed 10%, damage 5%)

Agility Bundle-

Agility Advanced Suit (10% increases to Stasis duration)
    Agility Rivet Gun (increases reload speed 5%, firing speed 5%)
    Agility Plasma Cutter (increases reload speed 5%, firing speed 5%)
    Agility Pulse Rifle (increases reload speed 5%, firing speed 5%)
    OCCUPATIONAL HAZARD PACK:
    Hazard Bundle-

Hazard Suit (5% increase to Stasis duration
    Hazard Line Gun (increases alt-fire damage 5%, reload speed 5%)

Triage Bundle-

Triage Suit (10% medpack bonus)
    Triage Javelin Gun (increases damage 10%, reload speed 5%)

Shockpoint Bundle-

Shockpoint Suit (decreases Stasis recharge 5%)
    Shockpoint Ripper (primary fire lasts one second longer, increases reload speed 5%)

When and if, you buy these, be sure to notice the very small amount of data transferred, thats because all this stuff is on the disc ;-)

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    tehmarken wrote: »
    Allforce wrote: »

There's two mindsets to playing these kinds of games:

Shoot Em Up

and

Just Survive

A part of adding suspense and horror/fear to games is always being low on health and ammo. A lot of times you can't kill all the enemies, you just have to get through the room to your next safespot, or use only a shot or two to keep enemies at bay.

The goal is to get through the place alive, not exterminate the enemies.

then again, 90% of enemies in DS games spawn in rooms with doors that don't unlock until you kill them all, so...

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I noticed that in DS1. On harder difficulties it at least balanced out a little bit so I had to think about conserving ammo in the other 10% of situations.
    Also, I don't bother exploring and checking for ammo everywhere. I always play survival horror games very immersed, just getting through as fast as possible without getting hurt.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Man I didn't realize standing in a corner and meleeing was such an effective way to fight the little green men swarmer guys. I ran out of ammo when they ambushed me in the church and just said 'alright you fucking teenagers, bring it'. Actually i'm kind of disappointed that you can just melee them, I'm playing on survivor and kind of wanted to be fucked there.

anyway not a big fan of the dementia cutscenes. They should have at least cut that shit down a bit.

I feel like they could have made better use of the third dimension in some of the areas, the church especially. It would be cool to have the velicoraptors running on walls and on those statues and whatnot I think it. the only thing that seems to use ceilings are those tentacle toddlers

iowa on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Many people usually don't look up. It's something that's been discovered over time in game development and during testing. People just don't naturally check above them for stuff, so they often miss stuff.
    However, in a survival horror game, that's the exact kinda shit I'd want ;p

tehmarken on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Some of the dementia cutscenes are kinda bad in a hilarious way.
    Nichole all "What do you think about that, Issac, huh?" And he's all, "I AIN'T LISTENING LALA"

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Some of the dementia cutscenes are kinda bad in a hilarious way.
    Nichole all "What do you think about that, Issac, huh?" And he's all, "I AIN'T LISTENING LALA"

i love those bits

less serious and definitely more creepily playful

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Picking this up tomorrow, got a couple questions. Is the Plasma Cutter still the beast it was in DS1? How's the difficulty treating you so far? And do the cheats from DS1 still work?

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The Cutter is definitely still the beast it was in DS1, start on Survivalist if you played Dead Space 1, Zealot if you have balls, and cheats aren't in anymore.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Got ya. I wonder, though, if I'm the only one who always saves up nodes for upgrading instead of door opening.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    money seems more plentiful this time around so you can buy a lot more nodes. I've opened every door so far and my plasma cutter damage was fully upgraded by like chapter 3.

iowa on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Really now? I'm pretty anal about getting the RIG fully done up first over everything else.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cool...I may actually upgrade my stasis module and Kinesis this time around then.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    man I can't image upgrading the RIG at all. come on man. You don't get hit if your toys wax everything in 2 rounds.

I upgraded kinesis in DS1 only because I was annoyed at its inches long range

iowa on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    RIG and Stasis are the 2 big things you wanna upgrade. And the line gun.

Line gun is civilization.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Did they change the Line gun's secondary fire?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Did they change the Line gun's secondary fire?

Nope. It's still the awesome explodey orb of fuck up everything in the room.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Stasis was the last thing I upgraded in DS1, it was the third thing, after my cutter and RIG, I filled out in this one. Probably had to do with the recharge they added. It felt less like a limited resource and more like a tool I could bring to any situation and use without guilt.

Frosty the Snow Plow on