As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Gesundheit; Sneeze of Mystery

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I miss the UK sometimes. Well, not often, but when I do it's for reasons like this.
    There's some kind of tourney going on at Warhammer World I think, and the following was just posted on twitter:
    ...he might be late for his game tomorrow morning due to being remanded in police custody! No joke!!

edit: not Warhammer World, it's the Salute Grand Tourney

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    UbaUba WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I've recently been considering starting a Demons of Chaos army for fantasy, until I was told that nobody would play with me. I had no idea that the army is considered to be overpowered (I like them purely based on aesthetics) but apparently that is the case. I've peeked through their rulebook and "The Masque" is yes, quite OP but other than him the army seems pretty balanced (low numbers in ANY army can be an uphill battle). I'm personally not a fan of named characters in WFB so this doesn't really bother me, wouldn't have used him more than once or twice anyways (what makes the masque op is the cost, super cheap).

Is this the general opinon of other WFB players? I think the army is really cool, and I'd LIKE to wait until they get a new 8th ed book (patience is not my strong point). But I don't want an army that nobody will play against or not really have a chance, I play for fun.

Uba on
    The witch stands before you now, Burning in demon light, Condemned to serve the black, It cares now for your cries, You fall before it now, Grovel with your last breath, Your god can't save your soul, GAZE INTO THE FACE OF DEATH!

Warhammer: Lizardmen
    Warmachine: Cryx
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    It is pretty hard to make a bad Daemons list. Everything in it is good, undercosted or just a little bit bullshit. Mono God builds tend to be less broken and 8th ed evened them up nicely. They are still a powerful list, but not the ZOMG raegquit causing army they were in 7th.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, a lot of the blind rage surrounding the daemon book is a hangover from last edition, but they are still one of the most efficient lists out there with almost no 'traps' but that's not a real reason not to take them. The hideous daemonette plastics though….

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    What? I was just browsing by the GW website to see who this Masque fellow was and was specifically thinking how impressive the plastic kits were these days when I saw the daemonettes. What's your beef with them? Sure beats the giant crab claw bug eyed things from my day.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    They replaced the truly excellent 2002 era* metals that actually looked like the description with emo punks. They make a good base for harpies though.

*i.e. not the really old bugeyed ones from the eighties or whenever.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    The bug eyed ones were mid-90s. The old 80's Daemonettes were disturbing and awesome, as I remember.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Slaanesh was always my personal least favorite of the chaos gods so I likely wouldn't be fielding many of them anywhos (bloodletters are far too cool haha). Whats disappointing for me is the lack of love for nurgle, gotta buy foot soldiers in packs of 5 and they really aren't that good imo.

Guess I gotta wait for a new book :/ I'll likely begin collecting bloodletters, bloodcrushers, and screamers to begin with and just hope and pray it doesn't take forever for they're new book. Still don't have one for my Lizardmen ><

The witch stands before you now, Burning in demon light, Condemned to serve the black, It cares now for your cries, You fall before it now, Grovel with your last breath, Your god can't save your soul, GAZE INTO THE FACE OF DEATH!

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I just spent the last 30 minutes drilling out and filling with magnets the rectal cavities of a few of my more top-heavy Bretonnian knights.

I don't know if I can even look them in the eyes anymore.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    You magnetbottoms are a disgrace to House Vandensploosh.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Uba wrote: »
    I've recently been considering starting a Demons of Chaos army for fantasy, until I was told that nobody would play with me. I had no idea that the army is considered to be overpowered (I like them purely based on aesthetics) but apparently that is the case. I've peeked through their rulebook and "The Masque" is yes, quite OP but other than him the army seems pretty balanced (low numbers in ANY army can be an uphill battle). I'm personally not a fan of named characters in WFB so this doesn't really bother me, wouldn't have used him more than once or twice anyways (what makes the masque op is the cost, super cheap).

Is this the general opinon of other WFB players? I think the army is really cool, and I'd LIKE to wait until they get a new 8th ed book (patience is not my strong point). But I don't want an army that nobody will play against or not really have a chance, I play for fun.

Run Kairos at least once, just so you can experience how bullshit he is.

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Uba wrote: »
    Slaanesh was always my personal least favorite of the chaos gods so I likely wouldn't be fielding many of them anywhos (bloodletters are far too cool haha). Whats disappointing for me is the lack of love for nurgle, gotta buy foot soldiers in packs of 5 and they really aren't that good imo.

Guess I gotta wait for a new book :/ I'll likely begin collecting bloodletters, bloodcrushers, and screamers to begin with and just hope and pray it doesn't take forever for they're new book. Still don't have one for my Lizardmen ><

Slaanesh was my least favorite until I saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnzuRnKnO7E

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I've disliked Slaahnesh lately since a weird old lady at my FLGS came up to my friend and I asking our opinion of her Slaanesh daemon prince, which was the Ultraforge Pleasure Demon where she meticulously painted the nipples but basucally rushed and drybrushed the rest.

Now every time I hear Slaanesh it reminds me of that and I gag.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Yea, I like the whole sound aspect, but other than that not a fan of Slaanesh.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Nurgle is best god.

I've been on a pretty massive fantasy kick recently and my Dark Elves have been cutting a swathe through Bretonnia and the Empire in search of slaves, riches and more slaves. My Dreadlord, Koraleth Ironblood, Captain ofthe Pillar of Desolation, who I originally only took because he was fun and fluffy has proved to be the most reliably performing character in the list. Sure, Syrielle of the Coven sometimes gets off that game winning spell, but she also has an alarming tendency to spend the weekends fighting her way out of the Realm of Chaos after being cast there as the miscasts a 3 dice spell again.
    I'm not bitter.

In recent times Koraleth has defended a Watch tower, by himself, against all comers. First he had to clean out the Chosen that were in there though. Killed the Champion when he foolishly challenged, then killed the rest next round. He spent the rest of the game in the tower and by the end stood on the Corpses of the Chosen Champion, 4 Chosen, an Exalted BSB and nearly got the damn Sorceror too, but the game ended. and All this from a guy with no ward save! After that I invested in a 5+ ward for him and boy was I glad.
    In the next game, He ended up fighting a Bretonnian lord with Heroic Killing Blow in a duel and managed to kill him over three rounds of combat while only taking a single wound himself. In the same game, he also bagged a Prophetess (Who Challenged, took two wounds, then blew herself up), a few incidental Knights and had the BSB on the ropes when the game ended.

I'm happy with how he is going as I'm running a pretty non standard build:
    Dreadlord
    -Sea Dragon Cloak
    -Blood Armour
    -Crimson Death
    -Ironcurse Icon
    -Talisman of 5+ Ward.

He only has issues if he doesn't get to power up the Blood Armour before he starts taking hits or fights something stupidly killy and doesn't manage to kill it before it strikes. Most of the time he's rocking a 2+ or 1+ by the time he fights something important. Talrek, the Black Guard Champion is there to buy him enough time to achieve this.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I'm still a Khorne man.

Like, other gods are all 'I'll make you sick!', and 'I'll control your destiny!' and 'SEX AND DRUGS AND ROCK AND ROLL!', but Khorne? Good old simple fun.

• Options
    A duck! wrote: »
    Run Kairos at least once, just so you can experience how bullshit he is.

Couldn't agree more, and I've only read his rules haha. Holy cow would he be a wrecking ball for Storms of Magic. People always tell me my Slann Mage-Priest is the best wizard in the game but with someone like him on the board I don't know...

Either way, I appreciate the knowledge regardless if it wasn't what I was hoping to hear. Hopefully GW can nerf them while still giving them some new neat tools with the new book (whenever that comes). I know its all about making money but I bought a vampire counts book about a month prior to the new one being released and it was infuriating, not making the same mistake twice (although I'd be just as happy with a new Lizardmen book xD).

• Options
    Tzeentch is best. Or is he? Maybe that's what he wants you to think. Or not. Nine.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    I have a feeling I must be missing something in the rulebook, but can somone clarify what advantages a charging unit gets? As far as I can make out it is just that the charger gets +1 to combat res, but I have a feeling that there should be something more substantial than that.

• Options
    csheurucsheuru Normal, ILRegistered User regular
    Khade97 wrote: »
    I have a feeling I must be missing something in the rulebook, but can somone clarify what advantages a charging unit gets? As far as I can make out it is just that the charger gets +1 to combat res, but I have a feeling that there should be something more substantial than that.

Nope, that's pretty much it. Some units have rules/items that only take effect on turns in which the unit charged, such as Lances or the Devastating Charge special rule. Other than that though, there isn't much. In 7th edition the charging unit got to strike first. Now it's just +1 CR.

If we would be great, we must first learn to be good.
  • Options
    csheurucsheuru Normal, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Accidental double post :(

csheuru on
    If we would be great, we must first learn to be good.
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    The real advantage to charging is choosing when and where your units get into battle.

• Options
    zenpotato wrote: »
    The real advantage to charging is choosing when and where your units get into battle.

True that, +1 to combat resolution can very well make the difference at times too. Not to mention things like lances that are usually +1 to strength on the turn they charge, turns combats quite often. Impact hit are my stegadon's bread and butter, especially with that stegadon war-spear+skink chief... oooooof. If I don't land the charge with that unit I'm missing out on 2d6+1 automatic hits at strength 6, pretty much any chariot like unit REALLY wants to be the charger, not the chargee haha.

• Options
    Thanks for the clarification guys.

I kept thinking back to 40K and +1 attack for charging and felt I had to be missing something. Guess I wasn't.

• Options
    It's not a force multiplier like in 40k, but it can give those advantages above or deny them to your opponent.

Some units, like spearmen, actually lose power when charging.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I keep thinking an Elf army that could be run as any of the 3 books would be fun. Like a lost house that went into isolation around the time of the War of the Beard. Plus I could use the best miniatures from all 3 ranges.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Except sausage hands.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Anyone know what this rat ogre body is from? It's neither from Isle of Blood or their current plastic box kit.

ratogre.jpg

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Nevermind, just saw the skaven insignia

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Another couple of questions from the resident fantasy newbie :)
    • How do Skaven weapon teams work - are they part of the unit they are bought with, or are they an independent unit that is just purchased along with the unit entry? Essentially, can they be targeted separately from the unit for magic, shooting, and charges?
    • Power / Dispel dice - At the end of a magic phase if you have dice left over do they carry over to your next phase or are they lost? I.e. Turn 1 you roll 6 on the Winds, and use 2 to cast something. Turn 2 you roll 3 on the winds... would you then have 7 power dice (4+3), or just the 3 you rolled that turn?

Khade97 on
  • Options
    FrysdiskenFrysdisken Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Anyone know what this rat ogre body is from? It's neither from Isle of Blood or their current plastic box kit.
    ratogre.jpg

That would be from the Screaming Bell/Warpstone Catapult kit, it's the rat ogre holding the chains on the platform, the arms and face have been switched with Dark Eldar and possibly Tyranid bits.

• Options
    Frysdisken wrote: »
    That would be from the Screaming Bell/Warpstone Catapult kit, it's the rat ogre holding the chains on the platform, the arms and face have been switched with Dark Eldar and possibly Tyranid bits.

Ooh yeah, now I recognize it. Thanks.

• Options
    Frysdisken wrote: »

Ooh yeah, now I recognize it. Thanks.

Chill i dill, is there any more mixed models like that one from where you found it?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    There's this guy, and I'm stealing that idea wholesale.

We'll see how much work that ends up being. I'll chop both arms off at the elbow; put his left lower arm on the right arm, and put the right hand back on that arm so he can hold the chains slung over his shoulder.

And I just found two more Isle of Blood Rat Ogres for $nothing on Tradera, but it's almost 4 days left on that auction. Going to keep an eye on it.

edit: and this guy, but that's a rather obvious conversion.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    There's this guy, and I'm stealing that idea wholesale.

We'll see how much work that ends up being. I'll chop both arms off at the elbow; put his left lower arm on the right arm, and put the right hand back on that arm so he can hold the chains slung over his shoulder.

And I just found two more Isle of Blood Rat Ogres for $nothing on Tradera, but it's almost 4 days left on that auction. Going to keep an eye on it.

edit: and this guy, but that's a rather obvious conversion.

Heh, I'll probably be doing the same from now on, would fit perfect in a Chaos/Chaos Dwarf army.

Niiiice, I'm currently in discussion with someone over Blocket for a 3K points Chaos Space Marines army. He's practically giving it away for 1000 kr, hope you win yours as well.

Frysdisken on
  • Options
    Khade97 wrote: »
    Another couple of questions from the resident fantasy newbie :)
    • How do Skaven weapon teams work - are they part of the unit they are bought with, or are they an independent unit that is just purchased along with the unit entry? Essentially, can they be targeted separately from the unit for magic, shooting, and charges?
    • Power / Dispel dice - At the end of a magic phase if you have dice left over do they carry over to your next phase or are they lost? I.e. Turn 1 you roll 6 on the Winds, and use 2 to cast something. Turn 2 you roll 3 on the winds... would you then have 7 power dice (4+3), or just the 3 you rolled that turn?
    I've seen Skaven weapon teams deployed with their parent, and then moved/targeted as separate units. I saw it on BTP though, so it may not be 100% right.

You don't carry over dice from one magic phase to another, you reroll the winds of magic for every magic phase. If I roll 4+2 for Winds on my magic phase, I get 6 power dice and you get 4 dispel dice. At the end of the magic phase, unused dice are discarded (although there are a few really rare items that let you keep a couple). Then next phase you roll 4+3 for your magic phase, you get 7 power dice and I get 4 dispel dice.

• Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    Weapons teams are deployed at the same time as their parent, but are separate units for all other purposes. They must be deployed within 3" of their parent unit and get a 4+(?) LOS save if they are within that same distance.

steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    Yup. 4+ ward within 3". They can also share the parent unit's Ld.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Started assembling my pistoliers today. I started putting cloaks on, wondering why there were was like 1 left-handed pistol to match up with the arms. A couple cloaks later and I realized that the cloaks are meant for outriders with their sillyrifles.

Time to cut some arms off...

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Avatars of War have yet another awesome looking WoC hero.

Has the same small head/huge body concept the plastic Nurgle hero has, but buff instead of fat.

aow47_blister.jpg

-Loki- on
This discussion has been closed.