As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Appeciation for some of the best film based games. [Not 56K friendly]

2»

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The singleplayer for From Russia With Love is better than Everything or Nothing. It controls better, it's paced better, it looks better (but not by much) and it stars Sean Connery.

But there's no co-op.

Renzo on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Xagarath wrote: »
    BigDes wrote: »
    PatboyX wrote: »
    PatboyX wrote: »
    STALKER is easily the best game based on a film.

Isn't that sort of like saying Fallout is because of A Boy and His Dog?
    Are they fully licensed works or just influenced by?

It has the same title and setting as the film, unambiguously. Liscensing has nothing to do with it.

Oh, I just looked it up. I was thinking of the story called Roadside Picnic, not STALKER. I had no idea there was a STALKER movie (which apparently is based on that novella.) I have never seen the movie so I can't really speak to that.
    Oops.

Yeah you can't really compare the STALKER movie and the games outside of the superficial. They're both based on Roadside Picnic but both completely different.

The game is filled with nods to the film, including the ability to chuck nuts and bolts around to check for anomalies.

Yeah, there are tons of refrences. Especially the cut scene you get for the real ending. The soundtrack for the game is heavily inspired by the film's as well. Hell, The Marked One is a dead ringer for the guide in the film. They even took anomalies from the film for the games, like The Meatgrinder. And the atmosphere in The Zone is recreated largely from Tarkovsky's brilliant film. That moment you crest a rise, a still scene of deceptively empty decay opens up, the breeze swells, and the electronic tones start thrumming and buzzing. That's got Tarkovsky all over it, and I consider it one of STALKER's quiet triumphs. Some of the most striking moments in the series don't come when you are trading gunfire with bandits or running from a pack of Blind Dogs.

Drake on
  • Options
    MonkeyPantsMonkeyPants Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Renzo wrote: »
    The singleplayer for From Russia with Love is better than Everything or Nothing. It controls better, it's paced better, it looks better (but not by much) and it stars Sean Connery.

But there's no co-op.

Now why the hell would a James Bond game ever need a co-op feature? Multiplayer with a ton of different characters I understand.

But face it, Everything or Nothing is incredibly superior to Die Another Day, you'd agree on that, right? Makes me wish Activision, knowing Kotick they sure wouldn't, get both George Lazenby and Timothy Dalton to reprise their roles as 007 in seperate video games. Perhaps some adaptations of the John Gardner or Raymond Benson books? Yes I'll be buying BLOOD STONE. Nice interquel until James Bond 007 23 is released November 9th, 2012.

For Final Fantasy X, I only played the opening bit and nothing else. So yeah I'd much rather play a The Lord of the Rings game over any current Final Fantasy game, including VII-XXIX. I liked Devil May Cry and Onimusha more when playing at a friends house compared to Final Fantasy bullshit.

Oh yeah "speaking" of War in the North, looks alright. Hopefully the video games for ZE HOBEET are great. Been playing the Battle for Middle-Earth games. They're fun. Pity there won't be a BfM-E III.

Harry Potter? First two movies bored me so zero and negative interest for the series. How's the Watchmen game? (read the comic book mini-series long before the film was out and great comic-to-film adaptation) Back to the Future: The Game - Part 1 is already installed on my PC. Haven't played it yet except for setting up the audio/video/subtitles (always ON) and more. In fact I always do that for games I play.

Superman Returns was alright. Sucks you couldn't go in the water. I wanted to fly around in the damn water and fight sea beasties.

GHOSTBUSTERS: The Video Game was great. Of course I mandatorially play single player first then get to multi-player. Was great being the fifth GHOSTBUSTER and all of them returning with most of the cast. Including Max von Sydow as the voice of Vigo the Carpathian/the Scurge of Moldavia painting. My guess when GB 3 is released to theaters, they'd have another The Video Game and finally have GB II/2 on Blu-ray.

Nope, not going to get into at how fucking pissed off I am at LucasArts for cancelling the Indiana Jones game for PC/PS3/360 and instead have more Star Wars bullshit. Would CraigsList be a good place to sell all my Star Wars shit? Only thing I'll be keeping will be KotOR. Yes I'll be keeping ALL of my Indiana Jones, Willow, Labyrinth, Tucker: The Man and His Dream, KAGEMUSHA and other related non-Star Wars LucasFilm/LucasArts stuff. Yes that includes Monkey Island 1-3, Grim Fandango, THE DIG, Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle: Maniac Mansion 2 and others. Honestly, fuck you LucasArts for more Star Wars bullshit.:v:

Actually here're some low-res renders for the cancelled Indiana Jones game:
    td9kE.jpg?9004
    eIbGs.jpg?9000
    hIiMj.jpg?5674

MonkeyPants on
  • Options
    Drag00n2019Drag00n2019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Renzo wrote: »
    The singleplayer for From Russia with Love is better than Everything or Nothing. It controls better, it's paced better, it looks better (but not by much) and it stars Sean Connery.

But there's no co-op.

Now why the hell would a James Bond game ever need a co-op feature? Multiplayer with a ton of different characters I understand.

But face it, Everything or Nothing is incredibly superior to Die Another Day, you'd agree on that, right? Makes me wish Activision, knowing Kotick they sure wouldn't, get both George Lazenby and Timothy Dalton to reprise their roles as 007 in seperate video games. Perhaps some adaptations of the John Gardner or Raymond Benson books? Yes I'll be buying BLOOD STONE. Nice interquel until James Bond 007 23 is released November 9th, 2012.

For Final Fantasy X, I only played the opening bit and nothing else. So yeah I'd much rather play a The Lord of the Rings game over any current Final Fantasy game, including VII-XXIX. I liked Devil May Cry and Onimusha more when playing at a friends house compared to Final Fantasy bullshit.

Oh yeah "speaking" of War in the North, looks alright. Hopefully the video games for ZE HOBEET are great. Been playing the Battle for Middle-Earth games. They're fun. Pity there won't be a BfM-E III.

Harry Potter? First two movies bored me so zero and negative interest for the series. How's the Watchmen game? (read the comic book mini-series long before the film was out and great comic-to-film adaptation) Back to the Future: The Game - Part 1 is already installed on my PC. Haven't played it yet except for setting up the audio/video/subtitles (always ON) and more. In fact I always do that for games I play.

Superman Returns was alright. Sucks you couldn't go in the water. I wanted to fly around in the damn water and fight sea beasties.

GHOSTBUSTERS: The Video Game was great. Of course I mandatorially play single player first then get to multi-player. Was great being the fifth GHOSTBUSTER and all of them returning with most of the cast. Including Max von Sydow as the voice of Vigo the Carpathian/the Scurge of Moldavia painting. My guess when GB 3 is released to theaters, they'd have another The Video Game and finally have GB II/2 on Blu-ray.

Nope, not going to get into at how fucking pissed off I am at LucasArts for cancelling the Indiana Jones game for PC/PS3/360 and instead have more Star Wars bullshit. Would CraigsList be a good place to sell all my Star Wars shit? Only thing I'll be keeping will be KotOR. Yes I'll be keeping ALL of my Indiana Jones, Willow, Labyrinth, Tucker: The Man and His Dream, KAGEMUSHA and other related non-Star Wars LucasFilm/LucasArts stuff. Yes that includes Monkey Island 1-3, Grim Fandango, THE DIG, Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle: Maniac Mansion 2 and others. Honestly, fuck you LucasArts for more Star Wars bullshit.:v:

Actually here're some low-res renders for the cancelled Indiana Jones game:
    td9kE.jpg?9004
    eIbGs.jpg?9000
    hIiMj.jpg?5674

For one I would love it if LucasArts actually worked on an Indiana Jones game which had Harrison Fords voice acting and 100% likeness.

Drag00n2019 on
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i had alot of fun with Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix game for 360.... just saying.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I had alot of fun with Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix game for 360. Just saying.

No thanks and pass.

I remember there being a James Bond adventure game. Never got to play it. (Hosting the below image from imgur, not from MobyGames.)

ffLQq.jpg

Drag00n2019 on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Speaking of LOTR games, at least one of the GBA games (I think Two Towers) was supposed to be a really good portable game in the style of Diablo. I think Return of the King was done in the same fashion, but I don't know if it was any good or not. I haven't play any of them.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine was awesome on the 360. It was basically a God of War style brawler, but you play as Wolverine. It wasn't perfect by any means, but it certainly ranks up among the best of licensed movie games. I'd love to see a sequel with a wholly original story and the weak points tuned up, though I'd settle for the latter done with the plot of Wolverine 2 (which, now that I think about, is a very real possibility).

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just throwing my 2 cents in, I noticed you included Return of the King before and the box art was for PC. That game was TERRIBLE for PC, I mean just the worst, especially the battlefield camera. I think it was pretty bad for the consoles too.

Beren39 on
    Go, Go, EXCALIBUR! - Trent Varsity Swim Team 2009, better watch out for me Phelps!
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What, no Batman Returns (SNES)?
    139503.png

What other game lets you grab two dudes at once and slam their heads together?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Evil Dead: Regeneration was great. The combat system was OK-ish for the time, but you didn't play it for the combat so much as to hear Ash spouting awesome one-liners at Deadite Sam, who complimented the game really well.

subedii on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hell yeah, Evil Dead Regeneration was the best of the 3 games. Constantly killing Sam and the banter they had was perfect. It was only $20 at release! Worth every penny. I need to play that again.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The two Eck vs. Sever games were probably the best FPS' for the GBA... although that doesn't mean they're worth playing today (it's just not a system made for the genre).

ikillkenny on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    139503.png

I like how the bars represent that batman is at least 3 times greater than a thin clown

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really liked the James Bond game for the Game Boy. I haven't actually played it in forever, but it was a total Zelda clone.

Here's a video of some annoying guy on Youtube playing it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFQ-9K3Kl8w

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    TeeMan wrote: »
    139503.png

I like how the health bar represents that Batman is at least 3 times greater than a thin clown

Actually a ton of other Konami beat em ups. Loved that game. Even played BATMAN: The Caped Crusader for C64 and a bit for Amiga. Even the BATMAN arcade, NES and Genesis games were great.
    The below is the only last good GHOSTBUSTERS video game, excluding New Ghostbusters II from Hudson on NES, until The Video Game. The Real Ghostbusters arcade counts.

Ghostbusterscover.jpg

Drag00n2019 on