As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Universe Online] Now Free-to-Play! Lightning Strikes DLC now available, zappy zappy.

• Options
    DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ill sell you my account for $15 :P Its sooooooo boring to me

I payed for the 3 month deal and REALLY wish I hadn't. I wish I could sell my account not for profit or anything but mainly to try and get some money back out of it.

DuskTwilight on
  • Options
    CL4P-TPCL4P-TP Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've had a lot of fun with the game so far (I play on the PC), but I've played it pretty casually and therefore haven't run out of stuff to do yet.

CL4P-TP on
    Never trust a white man driving a black van.
  • Options
    NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i find running the duos kinda of annoying but its the only mmo i can play really were i can log in for 15 mins que and get a a random partner to run through and work toward my character gear wise. i did luck out and come in at the end of a arkham and beat the three in there for the daily reward badge and feats :P

NargorothRiP on
  • Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Speaking of new content, there's new information about the March update (gathered from the official forums):

- St Patties Day holiday content (featuring Mr Mxyzptlk)
    - Two Face added to Legends (He has two different 'modes')
    - New Penguin mission
    - New Green Lantern Duo (Same as the City Hall instance, but with revamped Light Powers and Arkillo / Kilowog as mini bosses)
    - New Raid - Part 3 of the Batcave (final boss fight against Brainiac's Tech Avatar)

Also: Exploit fixes, chat overhaul and new queuing procedures.

Cururu on
  • Options
    ChaosRedChaosRed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Even WoW got hit by that problem at it's original release.

Apologies, this isn't entirely true. WOW's numbers grew substantially in its first year and its retention levels were, by all accounts extremely high. Also there wasn't half the chatter of "I'm bored" in the public forums as there have been for other games since WOW's release.

The "I'm bored" factor in WOW took at least a year to develop. The game was rich enough and detailed enough that the audience was widely enthusiastic. WOW had bugs to be sure, but overall it was such a monumental relief to play compared to EQ1 and it had sufficiently rich content to explore that it took a long time to develop "gamer malaise".

By contrast DCUO gets boring after about two weeks. It isn't half the game WOW was upon release.

This is why I've been preaching, more and more for gaming companies to take their time. The last few years we've been inundated with games that were rushed and incomplete. DCUO is another one of those games.

These games are complex, at a number of levels and there's just no point in investing millions only to suffer premature release and watch the entire enterprise wither and die before there's any kind of penetration. :)

ChaosRed on
    dbf1147f15514b46.png
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ChaosRed wrote: »

Apologies, this isn't entirely true. WOW's numbers grew substantially in its first year and its retention levels were, by all accounts extremely high. Also there wasn't half the chatter of "I'm bored" in the public forums as there have been for other games since WOW's release.

The "I'm bored" factor in WOW took at least a year to develop. The game was rich enough and detailed enough that the audience was widely enthusiastic. WOW had bugs to be sure, but overall it was such a monumental relief to play compared to EQ1 and it had sufficiently rich content to explore that it took a long time to develop "gamer malaise".

By contrast DCUO gets boring after about two weeks. It isn't half the game WOW was upon release.

This is why I've been preaching, more and more for gaming companies to take their time. The last few years we've been inundated with games that were rushed and incomplete. DCUO is another one of those games.

These games are complex, at a number of levels and there's just no point in investing millions only to suffer premature release and watch the entire enterprise wither and die before there's any kind of penetration. :)

Technically, shouldn't that be: "It isn't 1/26 the game WOW was upon release."? ;-)

The scary thing is, this game got what amounts to a last-minute delay. Imagine if it had released last year. Of course, the actual release date kind of came out of nowhere, too.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    CL4P-TP wrote: »
    I've had a lot of fun with the game so far (I play on the PC), but I've played it pretty casually and therefore haven't run out of stuff to do yet.

What are the controls like? Classic MMO?

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Forkes wrote: »
    CL4P-TP wrote: »

What are the controls like? Classic MMO?

Sorta, though without an active cursor during gameplay. You've got normal WASD type controls for moving around, you look around by moving the mouse, and you left and right click on the mouse to do melee and ranged weapon attacks. As you level up, you unlock combos for your weapon (so holding down the left button will do a charged melee attack, or three right click and then holding the right button might do a scissor-kicked energy ball attack, that sort of thing).

Building up the hit counter with weapon attacks helps restore power, and power is used up by your, well, powers. Pressing 1-6 activates powers (you only equip six at a time, though you can swap them out when not in combat). Seven uses whatever consumable you have equipped (will almost always be soda, which restores health and power). Eight is for activating a trinket if you have one equipped.

Space jumps / flies upwards, F toggles your movement power, T locks your target (though everyone I've asked who I played with uses auto-lock, so not sure how much that gets used), C unlocks your target, and... that's the jist of it, I think, at least regarding combat.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thanks. I was really looking forward to this game, and the movie trailer looked amazing.

Maybe I will hold off for awhile, wait for the game to drop in price.

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    ryvenryven Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i really wanted this game to be good, but it just felt so rushed and buggy that i just couldnt continue playing it

ryven on
  • Options
    CL4P-TPCL4P-TP Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have played using both the keyboard+mouse and controller, and the game is def better suited for a controller.

CL4P-TP on
    Never trust a white man driving a black van.
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ChaosRed wrote: »

I think you're forgetting the massive amount of bitching that took place over raids, and how incredibly pointless, necessary, and frustrating they were. Nevermind the constant outcry for content for so long that didn't require you to run a multi-hour dungeon/scenario with many, many people, all for a slim chance to get a piece of top tier gear.

And don't forget the constant back and forth between elitist raiders and casuals, over what constituted being "worthy" of seeing that gear. That shit still crops up on the official forums for WoW, to this very day.

WoW may have had an interesting world, but it was pretty damn slim on the content front for awhile if you weren't excited by the prospect of grinding rep for items, or raiding one or two dungeons like your life depended on it.

In fact. One of my biggest complaints with vanilla WoW was that so much of it was, at release, reliant on shit that I had to have nearly no life to get involved in.

The original battlegrounds system, for example, was the penultimate example of "anti fun" MMO gameplay. In order to get to the highest ranks, you had to sit in queue's for battlegrounds that could pop maybe once every hour, or two, or three.

Then, on top of that. You lost honor every day, according to how high your rank was. Meaning that you had to essentially sit at your computer for up to weeks on end (And that's what the people who didn't just have multiple friends/korean wage slaves available to take over when they got tired did.), and grind out honor in the same few repetitive scenario's.

But it got worse. The honor system punished you for having fun. The most interesting map of the original group, Alterac Valley, was originally pretty much the Warcraft 3 RTS in MMO form. Only the players were the heroes.

There were NPC's soldiers roaming the fields and guarding the bunkers, meaning that you actually had to lay siege to them, instead of the gank-fest that the scenario later turned into. You could launch NPC strikes relatively easily. And there was no ticket system to artificially shorten the map. It was pretty much a glorious, multi-hour, extremely involved and entertaining, all out brawl, where it wasn't too uncommon to see entire armies of PC's and NPC's clashing in the middle of the field.

Except, if you enjoyed this really, really cool idea. You weren't optimizing your honor gain. And if you wanted to see the (then) badass weaponry that the highest ranks offered, you needed to essentially turn yourself into a grinding machine of epic proportions. There's a damn good reason why not many people ever reached the highest rank of each faction's PVP tiers, and why it was usually announced on the respective server forums to posts of "Holy shit!" and "Jesus, you have no life.".

The raid system, in my experience, was just as bad. In order to get all of your gear for a set, you essentially had to play an electronic version of the lottery every few days.

The LFG system, and pick-up friendly dungeons of later expansions were the best thing to happen to that game. And i'll fist-fight anyone who disagrees with me. That's how strongly I feel about that.

All in all, I see the same problems here I saw that irritated me in WoW for quite awhile. The question now is if SOE has the wherewithal to actually do something about those problems, like Blizzard did. If they do, they've got a great game.

They've already got the LFG system down pat. They just need more content at the end-game to fill out the gaps. Which it looks like they're working on, to me. In fact, they seem to be going the Star Trek Online route of constant upgrades and optimizations every month, if their current update schedule remains accurate.

For that, they've got my money for the forseeable future. STO is an example a game that has completely changed from release, into something awesome.

Archonex on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I approved of the LFG system, not-so-much when they extended it to cross-server though.

In the beginnings of WoW I couldn't do shit, at first I wanted to be a Fury Warrior but realized they weren't the best choice. Decided whelp, I'll learn to tank. Boy did I learn the hard way, a lot of my dungeons on the way to 60 had been me getting ran through by higher guildies.

But I began to pick up some of what I needed, and was on my way to being able to handle Molten Core eventually.

Except no one wanted me still, it didn't matter how much skill I showed, or dedication to preparing my own materials. I wasn't their real life buddies friend, I wasn't their brother. Their retarded cousin bobby, or the god damned 'girl' who cybered with the guild leader to get a spot.

... WoW fucking sucked, shit.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think DCUO is a little too accessible/easy, and that's causing some stir with the more hardcore MMO people. They can grind to level 30 in like 2 days. Your more casual gamer, who i think this is more geared to, wont bang out full T1/T2 gear in a week, it will take them a few months. I enjoy it, but i don't know if it will last past my 3 month sub. When that's up, i may wait until the level cap increases or something before i would resub.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    MarloweMarlowe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't really see this game as a game for MMO players though.. to me this game seems aimed at the people who want an online version of something more like X-Men Legends or Marvel Ultimate Alliance.
    Especially the ideas of Duos, where you and you best friend can play the game together like couch co-op.
    My biggest complaint for this game is that the combat needs a more precise feel. The more precise the fighting gets the funner the game will be to play.

I find it odd that people think there should be more grinding, when, in other games, they complain that there is too much grinding.

Also, remember trying to raid with 40 people in WoW? just getting 40 people was it's own barrier to playing. and you well-described the pvp nightmare of early days, especially when raid gear trumped pvp gear so those who raided all the time smacked down pvpers regardless of skills.

Marlowe on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The other thing about WoW is I feel like it prevents you from playing other games, or hell even other things. It still has that ramped-up commitment in end-game where you find yourself going to bed 3 hours later than you planned because 20 people want to bring down the boss so that 2 people can get one peice of gear. I honestly don't want that out of a game--there is no appeal here. When you have to struggle to eat dinner in between pulls because it is the only time you can get enough people together to actually be able to play the end-game content, I think there is something wrong with your game design.

Marlowe on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    One of the big things that this game has going for it compared to other MMOs is the number of characters that you can create without spending extra for them. Right now the basic account gives you 16 character slots. That, combined with the currently relatively low level cap, encourages the user to explore all of the options available to them. So far I'm keeping myself rather occupied just going through the different mentor lines and trying out each of the 6 available power sets, and the various weapons. Right now I have three level 30 characters, and a couple in the high teens, and, while I have one that I've used longer than the others, I don't really think of any of them as my 'main'. The ability to manage several different characters offers some versatility that I think helps pad out the content.

All of that said, I'm glad that they appear to be serious about adding major content each month.

Cururu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think we all can agree that the new constant adding of content can only be a good thing!

Marlowe on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    you know, with Champions I find myself wishing they would leave off the powersets and add more areas. In DCUO it is the reverse.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    While the March update does look good, I'm hoping that the April update will be about non-Batman related characters. I'd also like a Legends PvP character or five from non-Batman sources as well. Man cannot live by Batman alone.

Cururu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    you know, with Champions I find myself wishing they would leave off the powersets and add more areas. In DCUO it is the reverse.

I'm pretty sure that both games are getting their ducks in order to support later development, so to speak. Technically speaking, Champions has had very little in the way of content updates put out until recently (The F2P Update appears to have finally put it on par with STO's content delivery schedule.), especially when compared to it's colleague Star Trek Online. So they're still behind the curve a bit.

Champions, is, strangely, much more reliant on powers then DCUO is, seeing as that's one of it's core features to attract players.

DCUO is much more reliant on content, then powers, as it relies on a more traditional casual and hardcore friendly brawler/MMO experience. Though it's interesting to note that each monthly update on DCUO includes alot of content that you never hear about unless you look for it, too. Like costume updates and new pieces/sets being introduced, along with all the unique, free online reward items you can nab.

I suspect that a year from now you'll find that the positions of both games has completely or partially switched, if they're still viable to develop content for at a regular pace.

If nothing else, DCUO's lifetime sub agreement indicates that they're in the development run for the long haul.

A Mzylpix (However the hell you say his name.) mission sounds interesting, too, since the guy is pretty much nigh indestructable unless you trick him. I wonder how they'll do that.

Don't forget that at least one (Two, technically.) powersets have also been confirmed. Green/Red/Yellow/Black/White/Whatever lantern powers are confirmed as being released around the same time the new Green Lantern movie comes out this summer/spring.

Archonex on
  • Options
    wolfgangpgwolfgangpg Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am a Hero on Death and Glory named MrG. I will try to hit you guys up for an invite over the weekend. I am archery/nature.

I am really enjoying DCUO. I have a level 30 villian on the Killing Joke, but the server pop there was pretty low, so I switched to D&G this week.

I like how DCUO is all about combat, how they have the heroes/villians roaming around the world, the Duos, alerts, and Raids. The game has everything I did in WoW, but a lot more streamlined and it is a game world I enjoy more (DC Comics vs Warcraft). I can get my "phat" loot, PvP instances, world PvP, etc...

wolfgangpg on
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so they recently had an interview with some of the devs in regards to the next content update. Here are the cliffnotes:

New Content for March:

Solo Challenge featuring Two-Face and Penguin
    Duo featuring Green Lantern and Sinestro (total rework of story mode instance and green lantern skills and graphics, featuring Arkillo and Kilowogg as bosses)
    Batcave III raid (featuring fight against Robo-Batman and Brainiac, it was mentioned T2 will be required)
    St Patrick's day event featuring Mr Mxyzptlk
    Two-Face to be added in Legends: PvP

Refinements and Fixes:

Proximity voice chat (Already in game)
    A redone and revamped social menu accessible via quickmenu instead of PDA
    Adjustments to queue system, including kicking from groups, requeueing for new alerts with the same team, reinviting after drops, dropping group from queue so no randoms join, rejoining to fill it up again, etc
    Further focus on fixing exploits and cheats
    DCUO now downloadable via PSN

What they liked/disliked about February update:

Liked Solo Challenge featuring Catwoman
    Liked Duo featuring Bane
    Liked Batcave II raid
    Felt "meh" about Valentine's day event, realize people didn't like the "cutesy" nature will be rectifying that for this month
    No mention of Diamond Heist

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    game is class, but lacks real staying power like everyone said. beat kandaq tonight with a pug first time in :/

NargorothRiP on
  • Options
    SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll be back in game soon, on D&G.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    WolveSight wrote: »
    Felt "meh" about Valentine's day event, realize people didn't like the "cutesy" nature will be rectifying that for this month

The platforming stuff in this game is BULLSHIT, they really need to get rid of that. but yes, the cutesy stuff was pretty weak. if the reward is some stupid crap, it should be quick and fun, not an annoying ass race and some jumping puzzles.

I remember in COH i got a jetpack for Xmas that lasted X number of days. I didn't have to do anything except log in, but a reward like a 6 pack of Mxy's teleporters to pop me directly to a mission waypoint or something would be cool, and worth doing a quick couple missions.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

The platforming stuff in this game is BULLSHIT, they really need to get rid of that. but yes, the cutesy stuff was pretty weak. if the reward is some stupid crap, it should be quick and fun, not an annoying ass race and some jumping puzzles.

I remember in COH i got a jetpack for Xmas that lasted X number of days. I didn't have to do anything except log in, but a reward like a 6 pack of Mxy's teleporters to pop me directly to a mission waypoint or something would be cool, and worth doing a quick couple missions.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the only platform segment is at the end-game with Toy Man, right?

I thought that was fairly inventive. If not a bit nerve-wracking, in the case of the power transformer repeatable. Which is something to it's credit, because most races don't have me going "oh shit oh shit almost out of time" too often.

Granted, I could see how it could get old having to do it every day. But the reward for it is a sub-par set of tokens that are easily replaced by much better armor, by just doing instance running. So it's not like you can't ignore it altogether if that's not your thing.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Archonex wrote: »

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the only platform segment is at the end-game with Toy Man, right?

I thought that was fairly inventive. If not a bit nerve-wracking, in the case of the power transformer repeatable. Which is something to it's credit, because most races don't have me going "oh shit oh shit almost out of time" too often.

Granted, I could see how it could get old having to do it every day. But the reward for it is a sub-par set of tokens that are easily replaced by much better armor, by just doing instance running. So it's not like you can't ignore it altogether if that's not your thing.

I think he's just referring to the holiday content, specifically the flight race and the mission where you jump on hearts. The race only needs to be beaten once for its emblem, though, and the jumping mission was the most enjoyable of the three for me (after they fixed all the unresponsive hearts, that is).

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    oh i hadn't tried it after the first time where 4/5 hearts i hit would do nothing. But yeah the Toyman stuff too. Maybe i was hitting some lag or something but the collision detection was goddamn terrible on the power transformer mission. I'd run by a bear and then out of nowhere go flying and not have time to pick up the transformer again.

The bugged duos are getting annoying, nobody will group with me in alerts because i'm not geared enough, but i can't do any duos because i queue into glitched instances, and when i get a fresh one, it's bugged too! so i end up playing one of my non 30 characters.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    got my first piece of T1 armor last night! and prompty got into a war with villains attacking the Chinatown police station! got my ass kicked! There were so many powers going off, i really couldn't even tell what was happening.

That said, when this game is working, it's pretty damn fun.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyone have any buddy codes, so I could try this on the PC?

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm also looking for a Buddy Key to try this on the PC, if anyone has one left they'd be willing to toss my way.

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So what's the pop like lately on the main servers (Death and Glory and Virtue and Vice, from what I can tell. PVPers picked the former at release, RPers picked the latter.)?

I've been trying to figure out how well this game is doing pop-wise, but i've not been having much luck.

The PC forums are a near-apocalyptic cess-pit of doom-saying and whining over miniscule things, with everything is blown out of proportion, from what I can tell. So it's rather hard to get a feel for things from it.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    from what i am to piece together. the ps3 side is very healthy numbers wise with a few hundred thousand to 150k players. the pc side is alot less populated, but i dont think critical yet. i am on new frontier. about three guilds with 50 active every night hero side with about another 100 spread across other guilds, and my server is considered one of the lower pops. its not great, but not terrible either.

NargorothRiP on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm on No Man's Land on the PS3, and the population is usually Medium and occasionally High. There is a definate drop off since the first month, though. Between that and the fact that many of the players are doing off-map instances (raids, duos, alerts, etc.) the cities can seem a bit underpopulated, but there's usually enough going on to keep you on your toes.

Cururu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    They have buddy codes for this now? Anyone willing to toss me one so I can try on the old PC?

Much appreciated.

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Forkes wrote: »
    They have buddy codes for this now? Anyone willing to toss me one so I can try on the old PC?

Much appreciated.

No more than they did at release, sadly. Some game purchases came with one buddy code included, but not all.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So supposedly the studio running DCUO was part of the recent fairly-large round of layoffs that Sony enacted. Not knowing the makeup of the studio personnel myself, is the DCUO team going to be affected by this, or are they trimming down the rest of the studio, but leaving the DCUO staff alone?

I assume the official forums has that kind of information, but I'm not quite ready to tear my eyeballs out by diving into an MMO forum, so I'm hoping one of you chaps know.

Astale on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Astale wrote: »
    So supposedly the studio running DCUO was part of the recent fairly-large round of layoffs that Sony enacted. Not knowing the makeup of the studio personnel myself, is the DCUO team going to be affected by this, or are they trimming down the rest of the studio, but leaving the DCUO staff alone?

I assume the official forums has that kind of information, but I'm not quite ready to tear my eyeballs out by diving into an MMO forum, so I'm hoping one of you chaps know.

From what I read about it, DCUO will not be affected by the layoffs, as is the case with any of their currently live projects.

Dourin on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, they are hitting currently active (well, not any more) projects according to the Escapist, as The Agency (one of the MMOs still under development) has been canned. That one looked promising. :(

Unless by "active" they mean any already on the market, which would make sense. Too many MMOs make the mistake of gutting CSR staff or something because "they're not necessary", like WAR and CO did, which were HORRIBLE decisions. Reading the article further, looks like what they want to do is cancel the upcoming MMOs they are working on to work on their "existing franchises" (in other words a likely Everquest 3?). No real point moving DCUO staff to that, as I understand live teams and development teams are very different in structure.

Astale on