Options

guys. check out these cars.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah generations of only 20 also probably would lead to problems.

But this is incredibly amusing to watch

and the retards took over again when i went to take a shit god damnit!

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alternatively, god is angry all of the time because we are the equivalent of that one big boxy one with the tires inside of it

He expected us to have colonised the solar system by now

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »
    I wonder how long it'll be before this is cited by anti-evolution pundits

"Look how shit it is! God must be behind it all!"

My initial reaction to this is to angrily explain all the ways that a genetic algorithm is different from evolution and also point out that well-written ones converge on a pretty good answer in a reliable way, but then I remembered that it's Friday and I'm home from work and I have a bottle of Port here, so I'm just going to watch funny cars bounce around.

are you thinking hes being serious or...?

I think I jinxed it cos like my fourth car was this real efficient spear-like one with tires at either end but after that ive been getting malformed terrible ones

HeavyVillain on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You get efficient pole arms, I get lopsided ducks that move torturously slow with only one wheel touching the ground

A race of abominable snail-mallards

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    this programme looks deep in your heart and makes what yuo deserve

you deserve.. useless mutant useless ducks. live with it

HeavyVillain on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've got it set to 8 wheels, frequency 50%, mutation 2% and I'm going to let it run. I'll let "nature" determine what the best number of wheels is.

Then I'd like to try 2 wheels, 100% frequency to see if it can find a good solution.

20 is far too low of a population. I'd love to see what emerges from populations of 100 or more.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i'm getting two big main wheels with tight spacing and a back/top little wheel to prevent rollovers and help climb

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The most frequently-spotted successful model I've had is either all wheels or like a small arch chassis with big wheels on either end, yeah

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've only ever had this thing spawn a car every couple of seconds, even on designs that were just fine, and started moving. It'd just spawn a new one for no reason. Did I do something wrong?

I guess I don't really understand this site.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I've only ever had this thing spawn a car every couple of seconds, even on designs that were just fine, and started moving. It'd just spawn a new one for no reason. Did I do something wrong?

In the first couple of generations, the target distance is really short. Like the seed generation only has to make it 6 whatevers. So in those, basically anything that moves forward gets top fitness for that generation.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm finding using a 360 controller is making this all kinds of easier.

Krunk, you're doing nothing wrong.. either the car got stuck, or it hit the distance goal

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

In the first couple of generations, the target distance is really short. Like the seed generation only has to make it 6 whatevers. So in those, basically anything that moves forward gets top fitness for that generation.

plus the max distance for that generation is always double what your last max distance for the last generation was

Raneados on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    I think it's kind of funny that people are complaining about cars that spawn "upside down" and don't go anywhere as if the chassis was otherwise perfectly viable. Orientation of the parts is just as important as the parts themselves. It's like saying a child born with its feet on its head should have lived a perfectly normal and happy life.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Think maybe I'll try leaving this on 2-wheels, 100% freq, 5% mutation all weekend and see what pops out.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    I think it's kind of funny that people are complaining about cars that spawn "upside down" and don't go anywhere as if the chassis was otherwise perfectly viable. Orientation of the parts is just as important as the parts themselves. It's like saying a child born with its feet on its head should have lived a perfectly normal and happy life.
    But Druhim, I was born with my feet on my head.

I find this post offensive.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    We know what you mean but it's a poor analogy

It's more like holding up your perfectly healthy newborn baby and saying "nah trash him he's got feet for a head"

And you proceed to throw him away even though people are screaming at you that you're just holding the baby upside down

(I am sure the Vikings did this all the time.)

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »
    We know what you mean but it's a poor analogy

It's more like holding up your perfectly healthy newborn baby and saying "nah trash him he's got feet for a head"

And you proceed to throw him away even though people are screaming at you that you're just holding the baby upside down

(I am sure the Vikings did this all the time.)

nope

because part of the rules of this simulator is that things spawn in a certain orientation

so if a chassis spawns that has wheels on top and none on the bottom and doesn't go anywhere, the simulator didn't fuck up or screw up your wonderful chassis
    the chassis was fundamentally unfit because the wheels weren't where they could do any good

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I've seen plenty of serviceable chassis spawn rightside up and immediately flip over due to some small difference from a previous design

This guy went the distance but immediately afterward? Hah nope near-identical clones failed at the first hurdle

carus.png

So maybe the algorithim decides it wasn't that good and the often-mentioned strains of useless mutants enter the equation

Man I wish I'd taken a screengrab of the unicycle duck

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    hey, it just demonstrates that seemingly insignificant differences can have a significant impact on fitness

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    This one immediately fell over and then somehow managed to edge along for over 200 units on a single wheel despite the giant ass spike

whatdu.png

This... this doesn't bode well for future generations

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    8 wheel max, 100% mutation and 100% Freq has some pretty cool results.

I'm liking the wheels within wheels within wheels within wheels.

ProdigalSon1.jpg

Fyndir on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've started two courses in parallel with identical settings. Going to watch how they go through the day.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wonder how it determines torque

captaink on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Fishman wrote: »
    I've started two courses in parallel with identical settings. Going to watch how they go through the day.

That's a cool idea. I'd be interested to see the variety from random chance and the different courses

I'm on Generation 7 with my latest batch, and they've started doing terribly. All the promising designs are inexplicably flipping themselves over in suicide attempts and only the strangest, most malformed cars are getting any kind of distance

The end of days is upon us

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Does it always pause when it loses focus?

EDIT: I moved the tab to it's own window in chrome and put them side by side so it keeps going.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It just keeps quickly cycling through cars for me, before any of them can get anywhere. Do I have a weird setting on or something?

Dys on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    On the latest version the distance requirements for the very first generations are tiny, just to establish whether they'll work or not

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    TuesdayTuesday Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dys wrote: »
    It just keeps quickly cycling through cars for me, before any of them can get anywhere. Do I have a weird setting on or something?

For the first couple of generations, it has a really low score to hit. 6 for the first one. Once it hits that or the car stops, then it starts with a new car.

Tuesday on
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ah, I understand now.

Dys on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    bravo, boxcard2d, bravo

Costanza_Car.png

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It... crashed :(

The suicidal backflipping cars finally drove the whole thing to die on me

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is my favourite car so far, I love his little vestigial wheel

box2dcar.png

Ten on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    that's how he mates

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    We need to be able to attach guns to these and set them against each other

A bit like that star-conquering RTS tournament where different AIs competed against each other... except with mutant killer cars

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That would be really fun to build and play with Edcrab, maybe that can be my Game Jam project this weekend. I haven't read up much on genetic algorithms though so that might require too much research.

I'm going to leave this on with a maximum of 1 wheel and hopefully I'll come home to the most efficient unicycle ever.

Ten on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Coo'!

This is a great program and a great idea to work with, I'm just annoyed that I managed to make it crash, but I suspect it was something completely unrelated to boxcars and more to do with some background process

And post a picture of your winning unicycle when you get back, I want to see if it resembles my horrible duck-car

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Does it always pause when it loses focus?

EDIT: I moved the tab to it's own window in chrome and put them side by side so it keeps going.

the first version did this to me, something about the swf embedded window being covered makes it pause

fortunately that problem went away with this new version

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    oh, and my shot at unicycle was AWFUL

couldn't even reliably get over 50 feet

all the way through 50 generations and multiple mutation switches

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I've found that if it's a tab in the same window, it pauses when I switch tabs. However if I have it in a separate window, it keeps running even if it's in the background.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I took inspiration from NaS and went as far as using IE to host the cars while doing general browsing in Chrome

In hindsight that backfired horribly but whatever

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png