Options

guys. check out these cars.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    I just have a separate FF window running it. No problems so far.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wish I didn't have to run this thing in-browser. I got a six-machine cluster, sitting here doing nothing. I wanna distribute this shit. 1000 cars per generation, time-accelerated.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mine have evolved this tiny spike behind the front wheel that catches onto the tips of the track and drives the wheel back down so it never flips, it, it works

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    god I hate it when I get a fantastic chassis but theres just a spike jutting out of it's ass and it gets stuck on the track at 300

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If nothing else, this has shown me I really need to bolt another wheel on the top of my car.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    it's shown me that I need to get a car that's basically all wheel

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »
    We need to be able to attach guns to these and set them against each other

A bit like that star-conquering RTS tournament where different AIs competed against each other... except with mutant killer cars

I just found my experiment.

Genetic Algorithm Battle Bots in the UDK.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also, I'm definitely seeing some convergence at generation 24, with stout little big wheel motorcycle guys, many of them with a small little training wheel in the middle that prevents the frame between the big wheels from getting caught on peaks. Then the most successful have also had a wheel on a bit of a triangle span up top in case if flips.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh man, the attack procedures could be part of the chromosome.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I would like to see some kind of other obstacles than terrain, like walls that can be smashed down or something, to provide selection pressure in favor of ramming spikes and stuff.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh my god

My brain just froze up in anticipation

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, setting this to a wheel limit of 8 is downright cheating.
    vhw9c4.jpg
    I mean, really? The site just rejected it for no reason because watching it just conquer everything is boring.

I love it when the game just drops a mass of triangles with no wheels now, though.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    TankHammer wrote: »
    vhw9c4.jpg
    I mean, really? The site just rejected it for no reason because watching it just conquer everything is boring.

I love it when the game just drops a mass of triangles with no wheels now, though.

wait, did it actually reject it even though it was moving? or did it just hit the target distance for that generation?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Framling wrote: »
    I would like to see some kind of other obstacles than terrain, like walls that can be smashed down or something, to provide selection pressure in favor of ramming spikes and stuff.

I would think that the obstacles would have to be unchanging from run to run though.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh nooooooo I had the most perfect motorcycle chassis but it mutated and flipped upside down D:

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    TankHammer wrote: »
    vhw9c4.jpg

wait, did it actually reject it even though it was moving? or did it just hit the target distance for that generation?

It's possible it hit the limit. This was in an early generation.

Game's been choppy in this version, though.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My current path has a spot at 315 that destroys almost everything that gets there, and if one manages to get beyond that there's another spot at 419 that nothing has been able to surmount. 51 generations and no luck past there.

Aistan on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Interesting. My two-courses-in-parallel experiment is beginning to diverge dramatically.

At generation 1-6, they were roughly equal. however, the first course started generating Big wheel / Long chassis combinations that could really get some high speed going. This allowed them to race for long distances and straddle any dips, which is the major obstacle they face up until 300 or so.

The second course developed cars with a penny-farthing feel, but the smaller wheel moves only very slowly. The course isn't more tough, but the cars take much longer to traverse a third of the distance. This has meant that while cars on the second course are at generation 7 and making it 100 units, they are still much further behind - in all measures - cars on the first course, which routinely make it 400 units at generation 11.

Interesting.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    At Generation 38, with a great amount of convergence, I'm finally starting to see some mutations that will get them past the dip right past around 405.

The interesting thing is that because that was the high water mark of fitness for so long, the average fitness of the group has converged towards being perfect to get to that point. However, most of the vehicles now can't get past it and it will take a good mutation to find it's way beyond there.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Generation 7 with nothing capable of anything resembling stable locomotion

EDIT: gen 9, same thing, cap is at 25

Gen 10, cap set back down to 8

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's fun watching my wheelbeast rampage across the landscape.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The victors based all their success on on very powerful wheel making the slightest bit of contact and launchin the car forward like a shotput

these cars are powerful as shit now

Half of them still look like seige towers though

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Running four instances of this all set to default. Gonna see what happens in a couple hours.

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Every now and then I'll get a chassis with no wheels at all. I have the worst seed.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The furthest travelled distance I've seen is 557. It starts getting bloody mountainous up there.

Fishman on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah I've got a mountain at ~460 that I'm pretty sure is impassable. They just stop dead.

captaink on
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    left this running while i went to go learn how to mill so about 6 hours give or take

here are some different results for interested parties

eHN9M.jpg

KrtZn.jpg

wG1UD.jpg

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    More reporting on the two I'm running in parallel:

At generation 20, the Penny-farthing look has been dropped from the second one, and it has gradually been taking on many of the characteristics common to the first one - whereas before, the size of the wheels was fairly small, it now has large wheels, and where it was generally about slow, steady, high torque wheels, it now likes long chassis and high speed wheels. It is now turning out designs very similar to the other course, albeit designs that look more like the first course during generation in the early teens. Some are remarkably similar to that period.

The former, however, has begun evolving again, favouring a triangular configuration, possibly to deal with the increasing number of spikes to be surmounted in the later part of the course.

I continue to watch with interest.

Fishman on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    One other development is the fact that both seem to be moving towards the maximum no of wheels. Very few 2 or 3 wheel variants remain, with most packing 5 (max) on their design.

Fishman on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I think I needed a higher mutation rate. With only 2%, there wasn't enough variation and the problem with tournament selection is that it always favors the one that does better, so you can run into convergence on an answer that isn't the right one. At generation 111, almost all of the vehicles all tend to look relatively the same and have become pretty good to getting to the mountain at 480, with no hope at the moment of getting past it.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i left mine running all night and it is in generation 238

8% mutation currently

no huge winners but many more semi-successful iterations

this is still on that old version though

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I prefer a mutation rate of 1%. I really wish there was a save feature though. A couple of hundred generations isn't that much if you think about it, and I'd really like to see what happens long term. I'm talking a few thousand generations.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i will leave it running just for you, dru

Quoth on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm with dru, I prefer a much lower mutation rate

1-2%

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, that's why I left it so low on my first run, but without a save feature, I didn't really want to leave it running forever to see what happens.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well, leaving it on over night I've definitely seen progress in them managing to tackle an obstacle that was stopping them all when I went to bed last night. There's a new obstacle shortly past that one that they're getting stuck on now but I guess I'm not as concerned about total distance as I am just interested in seeing if and how they're able to overcome new obstacles.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Interesting results on my original simulation after leaving it running all night. They managed to get even a little further before getting stuck on a major obstacle, and letting it run for a few more hours (with mutations set to 1%) resulted in them becoming pretty similar and most of them being able to make it to the new "roadblock", but not past it. So I decided to introduce more novelty into the system in the hopes that it might spur something that would help them make it even further. I only raised the mutation rate to 3%, but now hours later none of the vehicles are even making it close to that obstacle any more. That's not a complaint, I just find it interesting that such a low rate of mutation has had caused such a dramatic loss of the traits that were so successful before.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I've experienced something similar in my parallel courses. the first one, which had all the early success and set that monster 557 record, experienced something of a crash. It went into triangles from the long and flat, and seems to have started losing wheels, which is never good. Now it's throwing up penny-farthing designs, and has clearly trended down on average, for the past 30 generations.

The second course, by comparison, is replicating the successes the first course had early on. Multiple 400-distances every generation, and lots of long wheel designs. The fact that both have seemingly reversed roles in the course of the day is most curious.

I am running at 8% mutation, however, so it's hard to generate a stable population.

Fishman on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Two wheels, exact same size, exact same position

this is beyond fantastic

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    AceFantasticAceFantastic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm now on generation 155 and I really don't think anything will be progressing past this wall.

CanHeDoItNoHeCant.jpg

AceFantastic on
    tegan.jpg