Options

[PS Vita] has launched!

134689101

Posts

  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    And Rent, I don't think you understand what downgraded/different games are

    God of War: Chains of Olympus, for example, that's not a downgraded God of War.

    It is a new God of War game, not available in any form on the PS2/3.

    Sure, I'd like it if they made it on the PS3 with all the bells and whistles, but tough titties. It's a handheld game and I have to deal, but since that's the case, I'll gladly accept them making the transition easier by making the controller closer to the DualShock 3 (and it really is identical outside of two missing trigger buttons).

    UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't mean that it is crazy for someone to play a portable system at home most of the time - especially if they want to play the exclusives on that system.

    I mean it is crazy to design and sell a "portable" system that is intended to be played at home. It is also foolish to design your system in such a way that will tempt developers into making games that don't play to the strength / point of your system.

    Trying to match the current gen home console in game experience in a portable seems like a red herring to me, and something that will hurt the NGP overall. They should have left out the "awesome graphics" and made it cheaper. That's all.

    It's not foolish. I knew quite a few people with Game Boys when I was a kid. And almost all of us played at home. I don't know if it was Nintendo's original vision for the thing or not, but it was great to be able to play video games when my mom and dad wanted to watch TV.

    jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Trying to match the current gen home console in game experience in a portable seems like a red herring to me, and something that will hurt the NGP overall. They should have left out the "awesome graphics" and made it cheaper. That's all.

    Do you think it would sell better as a result?

    If it had graphics exactly as good as the 3DS but still no 3D screen and all the rest of the stuff including the touch pad, and it was $250, do you think they'd be able to beat them?

    I don't think any NGP could "beat" the 3DS coming off of the DS vs PSP generation.

    I do think that Sony might have been able to close some of the gap, if they tried to make a portable that was focused on an awesome portable experience at a similar or lower price point than the 3DS (or at least a smaller loss on hardware for Sony.)

    As it stands, I expect the design of the NGP to attract lackluster PS3-lite versions of games, AND end up costing significantly more than the 3DS (at least to manufacture, meaning a bigger loss for Sony.)

    Guitar Hero Of Time on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    jclast wrote: »
    I don't mean that it is crazy for someone to play a portable system at home most of the time - especially if they want to play the exclusives on that system.

    I mean it is crazy to design and sell a "portable" system that is intended to be played at home. It is also foolish to design your system in such a way that will tempt developers into making games that don't play to the strength / point of your system.

    Trying to match the current gen home console in game experience in a portable seems like a red herring to me, and something that will hurt the NGP overall. They should have left out the "awesome graphics" and made it cheaper. That's all.

    It's not foolish. I knew quite a few people with Game Boys when I was a kid. And almost all of us played at home. I don't know if it was Nintendo's original vision for the thing or not, but it was great to be able to play video games when my mom and dad wanted to watch TV.

    But, at the same time, I see people carting around their DSes all the time.

    Just because some people don't want their portable game system to be, well, portable doesn't mean everybody does. I really do think that the Not-PSP2's ginormousness could be a potential sales stumbling block.

    And honestly, aesthetics mean a lot to people. The market keeps going ape every time Apple redesigns their iPods to be smaller/in different colors, and I think part of the reason the Gamecube came in third place was because its flagship color was purple, with a multicolored purple controller. It looked like a toy, so people didn't see the cheap price as a bargain, they saw it as a sign that it's inferior to the others.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I do think that Sony might have been able to close some of the gap, if they tried to make a portable that was focused on an awesome portable experience at a similar or lower price point than the 3DS.

    I don't understand what you are asking for - if you think a less powerful, less expensive console is the right option, well Sony already has one of those - it's called the PSP.

    Serule on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    On the other side of the equation, I think Peace Walker embodies why I don't think handhelds can really take on console games. I hate the game. Well that's not true, I don't hate it, but I hate playing it on the PSP, and I can't for the life of me get into the game. I find the controls to be painful. I've already aired my grievances on the nub, and having to use the face buttons to aim is revolting. You can't properly hug up against a wall, and you can't even crawl either. And for some asinine reason, they piss away the one real advantage of the PSP, the sleep mode, by having the voices cut out and force you to reload to get them back. In every way, it feels like a console game that's been squeezed and crammed and barely closed into a handheld, much in the same way somebody overpacks their suitcase and is jumping on it to get it closed. It's at this point I go fire up one of the console versions (in this case, MGS4 since I recently jumped on the PS3 bandwagon and finally get a chance to play it), have a blast, and lament that I can't play Peace Walker in the same way. I really liked the comic book style they had going for the cutscenes, and the VA acting was as good as ever. I just can't stand playing the game on that handheld.

    So basically, all of your issues with Peace Walker would be solved with the implementation of a second analogue stick?

    Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    I don't mean that it is crazy for someone to play a portable system at home most of the time - especially if they want to play the exclusives on that system.

    I mean it is crazy to design and sell a "portable" system that is intended to be played at home. It is also foolish to design your system in such a way that will tempt developers into making games that don't play to the strength / point of your system.

    Trying to match the current gen home console in game experience in a portable seems like a red herring to me, and something that will hurt the NGP overall. They should have left out the "awesome graphics" and made it cheaper. That's all.

    It's not foolish. I knew quite a few people with Game Boys when I was a kid. And almost all of us played at home. I don't know if it was Nintendo's original vision for the thing or not, but it was great to be able to play video games when my mom and dad wanted to watch TV.

    But, at the same time, I see people carting around their DSes all the time.

    Just because some people don't want their portable game system to be, well, portable doesn't mean everybody does. I really do think that the Not-PSP2's ginormousness could be a potential sales stumbling block.

    And honestly, aesthetics mean a lot to people. The market keeps going ape every time Apple redesigns their iPods to be smaller/in different colors, and I think part of the reason the Gamecube came in third place was because its flagship color was purple, with a multicolored purple controller. It looked like a toy, so people didn't see the cheap price as a bargain, they saw it as a sign that it's inferior to the others.

    I see people carrying around DSes and PSPs both. And the common thing to both of them is that people don't just pull them out of a pocket. They're always in a dedicated case, a backpack, or a lunch bag. The NGP's size won't be an issue for most people, I think. Battery life may be (I know I can get more time out of my DS than my PSP), but not physical size.

    jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Serule wrote: »
    I do think that Sony might have been able to close some of the gap, if they tried to make a portable that was focused on an awesome portable experience at a similar or lower price point than the 3DS.

    I don't understand what you are asking for - if you think a less powerful, less expensive console is the right option, well Sony already has one of those - it's called the PSP.

    I see that the other way around...

    The PSP "failed" against the DS because it was MORE powerful/expensive. That wasn't what people wanted (assumed from DS market dominance). Now they are at it again, and they are trying for EVEN MORE powerful which to me seems like a waste of time.

    I guess what I am saying is that they should have tried to make something closer to the 3DS, in the way that the 360 and PS3 are "comparable"....to try and split the DS market, instead of chasing the niche PSP market. I don't think adding touch to the NGP is enough, especially if it will cost more.

    Guitar Hero Of Time on
  • Options
    Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sort of going back to UncleSporky's question:

    Imagine if Sony, instead of the NGP, was going to release a 3Ds clone with no 3D, for $150. Something that all third party 3Ds games could come out on (but all run as if the 3D slider was set to off).

    I think that would have done better than the NGP will do.

    Guitar Hero Of Time on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rakai wrote: »
    Except that's exactly what happened with God of War/R&C etc. They played like their console counterparts but with worse graphics and overall a weaker presentation. Unless you're someone who really cares about GoW's story, you're better off just playing 1-3 again. Killzone had it right when they went in an original direction on the PSP, but now for the PSP2 we're just getting a watered down fps (as if there aren't enough of those). I have no interest in an uglier lower budget Uncharted when I already have three (or soon will have three) on the PS3.

    Trying to crap on portable spinoffs by bringing up Chains of Olympus is about the most laughable thing you can do. Worse graphics and overall a weaker presentation? Bullshit. It not only stands up with the console games, it exceeds them in a number of areas. The storytelling, battle system (before GoW3 came along) and level design were all fantastic. The only area it let itself down in was length. Overall it might be my favourite game in the series actually, somewhere up there with GoW2 (GoW3 right behind them).

    GoW: Ghost of Sparta and the R&C PSP games, sure they weren't so great, but that was more because they were mediocre games than an indication that they just don't work well on handhelds. Because really, my easy counterpoints are Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror and Resistance Retribution. The latter is better than its console counterparts.

    Uncharted's quality will have nothing to do with it being on a handheld and everything to do with whether or not it's a good game. If it's even close to the console ones, it'll be worth every dollar they charge for it.
    Rent wrote: »
    except Sony's thing is putting in expensive, useless gimmicks into their SKUs. That's their thing

    Nintendo's is expensive, useless add-ons and MS' is the Kinect

    The same 'expensive, useless gimmick' that's also in the 3DS? Uhuh. Still waiting for you to complain about that though.
    Rent wrote: »
    yes. this is my point. It's a glorified DS3 with less buttons. Just like the PSP was a glorified DS2 with less buttons

    And because of that, I guarantee, I guaran-fucking-tee, that all or nearly all PSP2 exclusives can work just fine on the PS3

    don't you think that's pretty stupid that you're gonna be paying 350 bucks or more to play the exact same games you could've played already on a smaller screen?

    Oh shit, the Dual Shock 3 has a touch screen? I had no idea.
    Rent wrote: »
    Oh yes, because KH 358/2 days wasn't downgraded or worse than it's maingame counterparts because it was a different game

    good show, there

    Not seeing where you're going with this. It's a different game than the console counterparts so no, not downgraded. Is it worse? I haven't played it but most people seem to think so. But so what? That doesn't mean there was no chance whatsoever that it could've been good. I mean really, do you consider Birth By Sleep a worse downgrade?

    Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rakai wrote: »
    Except that's exactly what happened with God of War/R&C etc. They played like their console counterparts but with worse graphics and overall a weaker presentation. Unless you're someone who really cares about GoW's story, you're better off just playing 1-3 again. Killzone had it right when they went in an original direction on the PSP, but now for the PSP2 we're just getting a watered down fps (as if there aren't enough of those). I have no interest in an uglier lower budget Uncharted when I already have three (or soon will have three) on the PS3.

    Trying to crap on portable spinoffs by bringing up Chains of Olympus is about the most laughable thing you can do. Worse graphics and overall a weaker presentation? Bullshit. It not only stands up with the console games, it exceeds them in a number of areas. The storytelling, battle system (before GoW3 came along) and level design were all fantastic. The only area it let itself down in was length. Overall it might be my favourite game in the series actually, somewhere up there with GoW2 (GoW3 right behind them).

    GoW: Ghost of Sparta and the R&C PSP games, sure they weren't so great, but that was more because they were mediocre games than an indication that they just don't work well on handhelds. Because really, my easy counterpoints are Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror and Resistance Retribution. The latter is better than its console counterparts.
    ?

    This reminds me, Sony better not stop making Syphon Filter games for the PSP2. The two on the PSP were astoundingly good, despite the button aiming (which I don't really mind anyway)

    elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    We must of played a different Chains of Olympus then.

    Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't think scaled-down console games are bad on handhelds because they have to be, I think it's because developers simply don't devote the same resources to them. They're B-teams, or if nothing else side projects.

    Perhaps that's the "Nintendo difference" that's been talked about that makes their handheld games stand out as being more than down-scaled console games. Technically that's still what they are, but they generally put enough effort into them to set them apart from others' down-scaled console games. Mario Kart DS had as much effort put into it as any mainline Mario Kart, and besides being an amazing game, it still shows up in top sales charts regularly.

    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    And Rent, I don't think you understand what downgraded/different games are

    God of War: Chains of Olympus, for example, that's not a downgraded God of War.

    It is a new God of War game, not available in any form on the PS2/3.

    Sure, I'd like it if they made it on the PS3 with all the bells and whistles, but tough titties. It's a handheld game and I have to deal, but since that's the case, I'll gladly accept them making the transition easier by making the controller closer to the DualShock 3 (and it really is identical outside of two missing trigger buttons).

    By not calling this new Uncharted "Uncharted 4", it is going to have the perception of being a downgraded/less important Uncharted game. Like with the God of War games, the PSP games aren't seen as being essential parts of the series (not saying this is true, but it is the common perception).

    plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't think any NGP could "beat" the 3DS coming off of the DS vs PSP generation.

    Maybe in the US.

    But in the UK, Sony have some room to maneuver. Nintendo may have fucked up here with the price of the 3DS.

    Lets not forget what happened to Sony from PS2 to PS3 so soon!

    Checking the launch prices again (because I still can't quite believe them).

    DS - US $149 UK £99
    PSP - US $249 UK £179
    3DS - US $249 UK £230 (retailers here are offering all sorts of discounts / bundles - best I've seen is £202 - all due to a not-insignificant backlash against the price.)

    PSP2 could be priced anywhere between £250 - £300 and still not be perceived as much more expensive than the 3DS, especially if it holds the prestige of being a 'palm-PS3'. Any more than that may cause Sony problems. It would, after all, be higher than what the 360 launched at. I certainly feel that Nintendo more than doubling their launch price going from DS to 3DS is not a particularly smart move. Still, will probably sell out regardless.

    fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just to clarify, the official price isn't £230 (in fact, I've heard £220 is more common). There is no UK MSRP. Retailers can set their own prices. They are being sold to retailers at £173, so that's the price they can sell it at if they want to make zero profit.

    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I mean really, do you consider Birth By Sleep a worse downgrade?

    Uh...yes?

    It could've worked perfectly fine on PS2 and looked and played the exact same ( and probably better, especially since you have two analog sticks on the PS2 and the nub fucking sucks on the PSP) but instead they made it PSP exclusive for some unexplainable reason

    Rent on
  • Options
    EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I like playing stuff on portables more for some reason. Especially JRPGs.

    It's like I'm in my own little world, with my headphones on, staring into my little screen.

    I'm weird, I know.

    Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rent wrote: »
    I mean really, do you consider Birth By Sleep a worse downgrade?

    Uh...yes?

    It could've worked perfectly fine on PS2 and looked and played the exact same ( and probably better, especially since you have two analog sticks on the PS2 and the nub fucking sucks on the PSP) but instead they made it PSP exclusive for some unexplainable reason

    To be fair, by the time Birth By Sleep came out PS2 games were selling like crap, and porting it to the DS/Wii/360/PS3 would have taken a whole lot of work.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Eteric wrote: »
    I like playing stuff on portables more for some reason. Especially JRPGs.

    It's like I'm in my own little world, with my headphones on, staring into my little screen.

    I'm weird, I know.

    I agree with you. It just much more flexible with a portable, you can sit or lie down anywhere and enjoy, even if its only at home.

    And yes I also feel like I'm in my own world too >.>

    ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Eteric wrote: »
    I like playing stuff on portables more for some reason. Especially JRPGs.

    It's like I'm in my own little world, with my headphones on, staring into my little screen.

    I'm weird, I know.

    Nope. Portables are the best. I can just sit at my computer playing whatever, watching other movies or videos, checking out forums, looking at a guide if I need it, etc.

    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just to clarify, the official price isn't £230 (in fact, I've heard £220 is more common). There is no UK MSRP. Retailers can set their own prices. They are being sold to retailers at £173, so that's the price they can sell it at if they want to make zero profit.

    So what? That is nothing exclusive to the 3DS. With consoles, generally retailers sell whatever they want at whatever they want here. That (alleged) price from Nintendo likely doesn't even include VAT, which is now 20%, taking it to £200 before profit. In addition, the major supermarkets usually buy stuff in bulk at lower price than many other outlets - the price in that article may have been lowered for one of the major supermarkets, we cannot assume it is a universal price. (Hell the supermarkets regularly sell high-profile gaming items as loss leaders - limited copies of COD going on sale at 50% RRP on launch day, for example.)

    The 3DS was supposed to go on sale at £230 until everyone basically said fuck that.

    Hence why you can generally buy a 360 for £149 - £189, or a Wii for £149, but much better deals are available from time to time - supermarkets especially can undercut if they like.

    Kinect went on sale at £130 but basically everywhere had it at £120 before launch and now it can be found for less. The 3DS at £230 down to £220 is still damned pricey for a handheld.

    Even at pre-tax zero profit £173 is still fucking expensive. Don't make the mistake of throwing £173 around like that is the price of the unit. It isn't. Not on the highstreet. Not for the consumer. Even if the information in that link is legitimate, I'd like to know what other consoles are sold to retail at, or it is worthless. What would that make a Wii now, £80? A brand new PS3 is only £239 with profit. A brand new 250Gig 360S is only £189 with profit. The 3DS at £230 (or even £220) is higher than the 360 by some margin, and in PS3 territory.

    fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Geez, calm down. I never said nor implied that it was cheap or that this was a reasonable price, I just thought you might have the wrong idea about the situation and wanted to outline it clearly.

    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sort of going back to UncleSporky's question:

    Imagine if Sony, instead of the NGP, was going to release a 3Ds clone with no 3D, for $150. Something that all third party 3Ds games could come out on (but all run as if the 3D slider was set to off).

    I think that would have done better than the NGP will do.

    I'm inclined to agree here. As is, I don't think the NGP will really have much of a market other than the niche super hardcore gamers and tech junkies that supported the original PSP (that is, assuming it launches over $300, likely $350). If Sony had put out a PSP2 that was marginally, yet noticably, more powerful than the 3DS (maybe 2 3DSes duct taped together?), added an OLED screen and gyroscopes, threw in a beefed up android store for apps, and priced the sucker between $200-$250, I think it would have reached a much broader market. I have more faith in Sony's ability than Nintendo to cater to people who love apps on their machines, and I think making the machine affordable to a really wide audience would have gone a long way.

    That said, Sony definitely would have had to compete with not only the 3DS but also smart phones and that's no easy feat. I still think it would work out better in their favor than what looks to be their current high end exorbident model which is in direct competition with both the 3DS and the iPad, both behemoths in their own right.

    Guek on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Geez, calm down. I never said nor implied that it was cheap or that this was a reasonable price, I just thought you might have the wrong idea about the situation and wanted to outline it clearly.

    I'm perfectly calm. I live here dude, I know how pricing works ;-)

    Like I said, that link you provided actually muddies the waters more than it clarifies anything; and since your post also had some misconceptions, I'm just outlining the situation for your good self!

    Anyway, referring to my previous post, I'm simply stating that by pricing the 3DS near the top of the market, Nintendo have potentially left Sony some room to move here with the PSP2.

    Of course, if the PSP2 is put on shop shelves at anything higher than £300 that stonking great 3DS price will not seem so bad, so at this point the ball is in Sony's court. Looking forward to seeing what they decide to do, especially after that classic OMFG PS3 price announcement, the PSP2 at this point could end up anywhere between £200 - £450 and I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

    fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It would be completely amazing if Sony put the PSP2 out at $250, but that's not happening. I could very well see a $300 price for it though. I really really really hope that Sony's seen from the PSP Go and PS3 launches that people don't want to pay a ton for a console

    elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You all just watch... Sony will come up with a great name for the PSP2, it will be priced at $250, have a new ZoE and Chrono Trigger, and poop kittens.

    Seriously though, I can see why something like the 3DS will sell better if there is a huge price gap, but that doesn't mean the PSP2 will fail. If Sony is trying to target the hardcore market and is willing to take the risk, why not?

    Sony is simply making a high quality product for those willing to get it, and they're innovating portable gaming along the way.

    I'm plenty interested in what they've shown, enough to choose it over the 3DS even with a higher price.

    ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, with the touchscreen, if they put it at $250, they could directly compete with the 3DS. I see no reason why it couldn't do 3DS games in multiplatform, just rearrange the screens to be horizontal rather than vertical, since the combined resolution of both 3DS screens is only slightly more than the PSP2's single screen.

    elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You all just watch... Sony will come up with a great name for the PSP2, it will be priced at $250, have a new ZoE and Chrono Trigger, and poop kittens.

    That should be well within the capabilities of the NGP since the PS3 tech already managed this.

    kittens.png

    Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sony is simply making a high quality product for those willing to get it, and they're innovating portable gaming along the way.

    This strategy has gone poorly for them in the immediate past

    Though, I expect them to stick with it and hope the third time's a charm

    PSP's abject failure in the US can almost certainly be related closely to a price tag $100 greater than the DS, and the PS3 only really started gaining momentum after successive price drops

    Maddoc on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rent wrote: »
    I mean really, do you consider Birth By Sleep a worse downgrade?

    Uh...yes?

    It could've worked perfectly fine on PS2 and looked and played the exact same ( and probably better, especially since you have two analog sticks on the PS2 and the nub fucking sucks on the PSP) but instead they made it PSP exclusive for some unexplainable reason

    Completely irrelevant. It was a different game, just as good if not better than its console counterparts and only available on the PSP.

    Most of your arguments seem to be against portables in general, yet you only target them towards the PSP and NGP. I wonder why, still crying about Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 maybe?

    Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rehab wrote: »
    You all just watch... Sony will come up with a great name for the PSP2, it will be priced at $250, have a new ZoE and Chrono Trigger, and poop kittens.

    That should be well within the capabilities of the NGP since the PS3 tech already managed this.

    kittens.png

    There you go! Half the console is already finished

    ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rent wrote: »
    I mean really, do you consider Birth By Sleep a worse downgrade?

    Uh...yes?

    It could've worked perfectly fine on PS2 and looked and played the exact same ( and probably better, especially since you have two analog sticks on the PS2 and the nub fucking sucks on the PSP) but instead they made it PSP exclusive for some unexplainable reason

    Completely irrelevant. It was a different game, just as good if not better than its console counterparts and only available on the PSP.

    Most of your arguments seem to be against portables in general, yet you only target them towards the PSP and NGP. I wonder why, still crying about Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 maybe?

    I think you have run into what is known as a "Nintendo Fanboy"

    Also Rent has horrible taste

    elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well when someone enters a thread and his first words are "Personally speaking, I hate this thing" I just don't think that anything resembling a reasoned debate is possible.

    Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rehab wrote: »
    Well when someone enters a thread and his first words are "Personally speaking, I hate this thing" I just don't think that anything resembling a reasoned debate is possible.

    I've been enjoying arguing with him though. It's so easy, like a holiday.

    Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also, saying that the PSP2 is a DS3 and that all games on it will work on the PS3.

    Uh, touchscreen man.

    Personally I'm excited for touchscreen if that means DJ max technika finally gets a home port. Dunno how they'll do it on a smaller screen though.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNltkotWe4E

    Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Why does everyone only care about hardware price but not software? They officially said flash, right? Isn't that the most expensive memory available? If they do port MGS4, even if they shrink it to somehow get it down to a reasonable size, it'll probably be at the absolute bare minimum $60.

    SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SkyEye wrote: »
    Why does everyone only care about hardware price but not software? They officially said flash, right? Isn't that the most expensive memory available? If they do port MGS4, even if they shrink it to somehow get it down to a reasonable size, it'll probably be at the absolute bare minimum $60.

    It's just a flash memory card. It won't be SD, but it apparently won't be a Sony memory stick either. It's not that expensive.

    Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    And presumably they're just saying flash because people will understand what that means better than "ROM" or "Solid state memory." And if you really want to pick at words, you could argue "flash" is still meaningless since there are multiple kinds of flash memory. Is it NOR? Is it NAND? Is it some as-of-yet unannounced new, major breakthrough in the flash memory market? Who knows!

    amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Either way, if games are comaprable with PS3, they will inherit the same development costs and thus prices. I'd hazard that new games will quickly become $60.

    SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

This discussion has been closed.