As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Soy Un [Chat]edor

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ok now I'm going to go out for dinner.

I am proud of myself for participating in a rape discussion without sperging out on everyone but its kind of exhausting.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    figurative - the wanton destruction or spoiling of a place or area

Yeah, I'm pretty sure "Rape the countryside" has been around longer than gaming culture.

And it doesn't necessarily mean they went out and raped every person in the country.

I dunno man romans loved their rape, they even had rapeatoriums right next to the vomitoriums!

this is a common misapprehension

the "rapeatorium" was actually just a large structure used for storing logs

Man I have to go rewrite some fanfiction I totally fucked that up.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fartacus wrote: »
    I find that most men who are genuinely "allies" (for lack of a better term) pretty much never don't know someone who has been a victim of sexual violence

That's all I meant

I'm not sure what this means. What is an "ally" here?

the rest of us here are on the axis of rape

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    Winky wrote: »
    The Internet just seems to find the word 'rape' hilarious. I guess when you're far removed enough from it it's just this absurd thing, almost ridiculous. I guess that changes when it happens to you or someone you know.

I feel that this is the case with pretty much any terrible thing used in a context of hyperbole. You are far enough removed from it so when you say something like "I'm starving" or "we murdered that team" or you make holocaust jokes or something it continues to be funny because there is a significant element of unreality to those concepts. If someone has actually experienced one of those things then they become a reality to them and the hyperbole isn't funny anymore.

I don't think that there is anything fundamentally wrong with that sort of humor, only that you have to be very aware of people for who these sort of things are a reality and how they will react to your joking about something. When you're just joking amongst friends you can account for the experiences of the people around you, but in different contexts you could be seriously upsetting someone.

i dated a girl whose mom had some emotional issues and the girl got really upset whenever anyone referred to something as "crazy" or "cukoo" or really anything like that.

i am not making this up.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    Also, saying "we beat the other team" marginalizes abuse victims

you people sure are insensitive

you sure are ridiculous

How so? He's using the exact same logic as you are with the word rape near as I can tell.

'Beat' has more than one meaning and context

'Rape' is pretty straightforward

Though I hate being this guy......I count at least 3 separate definitions here. And admittedly I'm being rather particular, you do make a good point.
    –noun
    an act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
    the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
    statutory rape.
    an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.
    Archaic . the act of seizing and carrying off by force.

Regardless, it all comes back to my original point, is that the language of society changes over time, and words can come to take multiple or differing meanings, that even if you choose not accept, doesn't mean you get to judge everyone who may use it.

A good example is the use of funner and funnest...which is now basically excepted in most circles as ok. I struggled with that one for awhile.

I said "straightforward" not "has a single definition"

but those are extremely similar

anyway I'm done with this because if people are going to be unreasonable for the sake of being unreasonable I'm not going to participate

Gonna take your ball and go home then? You're accusing everyone else of being unreasonable, when you yourself are steadfastly doing the same. How are we to believe you are coming to this argument genuinely if you won't even entertain the other side of the argument as maybe having some validity? I've certainly entertained yours.

Anyway, I could refer to a plot of ruined land as being raped and I doubt any present would suspect I was referring to forced sex. Hiding behind weak words like "probably" and "straightforward" are doing you no favors here, you're implication was if someone uses the word rape, then they mean forced sex.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I find that most men who are genuinely "allies" (for lack of a better term) pretty much never don't know someone who has been a victim of sexual violence

That's all I meant

Yeah I'm at a lack here.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    I am proud of myself for participating in a rape discussion without sperging out on everyone but its kind of exhausting.

I am offended by this term

Echo on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    look honk

if you ever pronounce "you" in such a manner to offend people, just back up, throw your arms in the air, and start screaming

COME AT ME BRO

over and over

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

That's all I meant

the rest of us here are on the axis of rape

What with Honk's equally incomprehensible Gendarmerie/Gestapo comment earlier that was the first thing that sprang to mind.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    I am offended by words, actions, sounds and images.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    purging in anticipation of pax brb

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    look honk

if you ever pronounce "you" in such a manner to offend people, just back up, throw your arms in the air, and start screaming

COME AT ME BRO

over and over

:o

Hehehehehehehehehehhehehehehehehhehee

yessssssss

Honk on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The Internet just seems to find the word 'rape' hilarious. I guess when you're far removed enough from it it's just this absurd thing, almost ridiculous. I guess that changes when it happens to you or someone you know.

I feel that this is the case with pretty much any terrible thing used in a context of hyperbole. You are far enough removed from it so when you say something like "I'm starving" or "we murdered that team" or you make holocaust jokes or something it continues to be funny because there is a significant element of unreality to those concepts. If someone has actually experienced one of those things then they become a reality to them and the hyperbole isn't funny anymore.

I don't think that there is anything fundamentally wrong with that sort of humor, only that you have to be very aware of people for who these sort of things are a reality and how they will react to your joking about something. When you're just joking amongst friends you can account for the experiences of the people around you, but in different contexts you could be seriously upsetting someone.

i dated a girl whose mom had some emotional issues and the girl got really upset whenever anyone referred to something as "crazy" or "cukoo" or really anything like that.

i am not making this up.

when she asked you why you were breaking up with her did you tell her "because you are crazy"

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So apparently you need to pay the government $400 to get flown home on an emergency flight out of Egypt. That feels wrong.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Good morning [chat]. It appears, if I understood correctly, one of my students placed 8th in ice skating during the Nationals competition this past weekend. If so, woo!

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    So apparently you need to pay the government $400 to get flown home on an emergency flight out of Egypt. That feels wrong.

That sounds horribly wrong.

Honk on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    White person accusing minority of white guilt up in here.

what a country

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Organichu wrote: »

Do you need someone to hold your hair back?

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Good morning [chat]. It appears, if I understood correctly, one of my students placed 8th in ice skating during the Nationals competition this past weekend. If so, woo!

Doesn't that mean they break her leg for shaming her family?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also, when I retire I am so going to teach myself Akkadian.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Echo is a weener

tyrannus on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just discovered the "Goggles" program.

I immediately went to Glenn Beck's website and drew a huge cock.

Winky on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

i am not making this up.

I made a mom joke in front of my roommates girlfriend one time, about his mom. She freaked out and started crying...turns out her mom died when she was very young. I also referred to my job as being kind of gay in front a crowd of gay men once.

The funny thing about it, was not one of them freaked out, one of them politely goes, "you meant lame right?" Me realizing my error immediately agreed. And we all moved on and had a great night of boozing. And I've never used gay like that again. You want to change people's behaviors, you don't do it by calling them names.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wonder what would happen if you tried to rub that anteaters belly.

Galahad on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Echo wrote: »

I am offended by this term

This is fantastic.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Echo is a weener

I feel a great disturbance in the gravity well

Echo on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Galahad wrote: »

he would probably come at you

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011

i am not making this up.

I am given to understand that this is a real thing that actually bothers some people

which whatever. having actually been victimized by a crazy person I can attest that other people using more "sensitive" language would not have solved anything.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man these NASCAR challenges in GT5 are surprisingly hard.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »

i am not making this up.

I am given to understand that this is a real thing that actually bothers some people

which whatever. having actually been victimized by a crazy person I can attest that other people using more "sensitive" language would not have solved anything.

I always call my patients wackos.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Here's how you do them really easily.
    Turn left.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011

protip: Turn left

ololololol

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Cinders wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »

Do you need someone to hold your hair back?

This reminds me of a scene in my favourite novel: The Long Ships. (It's about vikings and stuff).

A guy and his crew is about to be executed by a bunch of guys and has his head placed on a log, he has long beautiful hair so he asks one of the executioners friends to hold it stretched forward so that it is not cut by the axe.

Then when the axe is falling towards his neck he pulls back with great strength and the executioners buddy gets both his hands chopped off. Then everyone start laughing hysterically and they party and become friends and the guy and his crew walk free.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    die sammich

die

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

protip: Turn left

ololololol

GET OUT OF HERE GOOEY

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've been comparing rape crime statistics with google Books Ngram Viewer occurrences of the word "rape". This is because I am an engineer and I it's all I know.

If you are interested, the results are largely meaningless due to various problems with the source data but in general there is a strong negative correlation. The more the word rape is used in books, fewer rapes are reported. Of course you could argue that this means less rape is occurring or that less rape is being reported. The former being a good thing and the latter being a bad thing.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Cokebotle wrote: »

Doesn't that mean they break her leg for shaming her family?

I don't know about her parents, but everyone at school seems to be hella proud.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    29 minutes...

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

"Wow drive around a circle for hours and still lose to jimmy johnson on points? MOTHER FUCKER!"

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Galahad wrote: »

he would probably come at you

I think it might take your hand right the fuck off.

FroThulhu on
This discussion has been closed.