As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Killzone 3] Patches. Patches. PATCHES!

• Options
    BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thank god, I've died plenty of times due to "stuck in a doorway trying to jump over a mortally wounded marksman"

BladeOfSanjuro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CincituckyCincitucky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Too much effort to just melee the guy rolling around on the ground? ;) Had that mortally wounded problem a couple times. Relates to the Black Knight scene of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Getting even more reasons to go back to Medic. Cooldown time reduced? Might as well do an AOE revive. That I'm not as confused by as the increased distance to revive another player. There haven't been many opportunities that make sense to revive a player, because odds are you'll wait until an area is clear to rez them. Why increase the distance if you just have to run to them to revive 'em?

Cincitucky on
    Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.
  • Options
    BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I never said he was an enemy.... that's the common pubbie marksman on my team who cleverly camps high traffic doorways and hallways, only he's terrible, so he's always laying down in the doorway... basically the internets equivalent of a person that stops to check his phone between the two automatic doors at the grocery store

BladeOfSanjuro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cincitucky wrote: »
    Too much effort to just melee the guy rolling around on the ground? ;) Had that mortally wounded problem a couple times. Relates to the Black Knight scene of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Getting even more reasons to go back to Medic. Cooldown time reduced? Might as well do an AOE revive. That I'm not as confused by as the increased distance to revive another player. There haven't been many opportunities that make sense to revive a player, because odds are you'll wait until an area is clear to rez them. Why increase the distance if you just have to run to them to revive 'em?

The distance to revive was essentially right over a player, and given how fast the bleed-out/respawn timer is, actually getting to a player before he taps out and respawns is fairly difficult. Increasing the distance to revive will increase the chance you'll get there before the player just taps out.

They really should highlight the medic more when you're downed. I would tap out a lot less if I knew a medic was nearby to revive me immediately when I went down.

Those patch notes are a pretty good start :^:

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I never said he was an enemy.... that's the common pubbie marksman on my team who cleverly camps high traffic doorways and hallways, only he's terrible, so he's always laying down in the doorway... basically the internets equivalent of a person that stops to check his phone between the two automatic doors at the grocery store

True, you didn't say it was an enemy but I've only ever noticed the stone-walling when it was the opposing team's wounded.

Should've used a sarcasm tag around my entire post. The changes definitely are positive but only for a person that plays the medic well. There have been few instances were I was actually revived when there was a good opportunity to do so. Sometimes I'd like to reject the revive because its being done in the middle of crossfire and my cynical side tells me the jackass is doing it just for the points. I'll get a good laugh if I'm revived by a medic that's behind cover and I'm left in front of a charging platoon of the enemy.

There currently isn't anything that lets you know a medic is around unless you're paying attention to who's around you, right?

Cincitucky on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

True, you didn't say it was an enemy but I've only ever noticed the stone-walling when it was the opposing team's wounded.

Should've used a sarcasm tag around my entire post. The changes definitely are positive but only for a person that plays the medic well. There have been few instances were I was actually revived when there was a good opportunity to do so. Sometimes I'd like to reject the revive because its being done in the middle of crossfire and my cynical side tells me the jackass is doing it just for the points. I'll get a good laugh if I'm revived by a medic that's behind cover and I'm left in front of a charging platoon of the enemy.

There currently isn't anything that lets you know a medic is around unless you're paying attention to who's around you, right?

The camera will sometimes focus on a nearby medic after you've been downed for a few seconds, but usually by that time most people just tap out and respawn. It really should focus on any nearby medics much faster, or at least pop something on your screen to let you know one is nearby.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »

The camera will sometimes focus on a nearby medic after you've been downed for a few seconds, but usually by that time most people just tap out and respawn. It really should focus on any nearby medics much faster, or at least pop something on your screen to let you know one is nearby.
    Like, oh I dunno, a small + instead of a normal * for friendly medics on your map maybe?

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wulf wrote: »

Like, oh I dunno, a small + instead of a normal * for friendly medics on your map maybe?

Maybe even make the cross fill up as the cool down is going out to let the player know when the res is comming. Still playing medic is like stat padding the opposing team. Usualy if someone knows there is a medic on the other team they will camp their kills when the medic shows up a well placed burst will get them a quick double kill while the medic and revived player are both vunerable.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wow so the "Sharpshooter" made a horrid impression on me. Returning it stat. The sensitivity is waaaaay higher than by just holding the wands in your hand... This must be because the range of movement is all over the place... When I use just the move all the movement is pretty much all in my wrist, not waving the thing all around. Almost think the design should have placed the wand in the stock and not the barrel. Had motion sickness in a game for the first time ever. Also found the button layout very disagreeable.

I've grown to absolutely love the move control setup. Tried going back to the ds3 a few days ago and it seemed practically unplayable.

Sploozoo on
    Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You can add me down for some matches. PSN is Borntohula87, I'm usually active late at night and mid afternoon. Beta was pretty awesome from what I've played, I'm hoping retail replicates the same thing.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ruiner999 wrote: »
    You can add me down for some matches. PSN is Borntohula87, I'm usually active late at night and mid afternoon. Beta was pretty awesome from what I've played, I'm hoping retail replicates the same thing.
    Please apply for the clan through the Killzone website (killzone.com, search Wanghast) so that instead of having to friend all players individually you can search through the clan list for squadmates.

JAEF on
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ruiner, meet Jaef, the hardest working OP in the business!

4 minutes on a reply, all the good yummy info ya need.

And no, I have no idea why I'm sucking up. It must be my brown nosing nature shining through.

This post just got kinda weird...

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So uh.. you wanna make out?

Edit: Wow, tried move again with the single player campaign, feels amazing. You have to get adjusted to turning with flicks/longer arm movements instead of with your wrist. Gonna try it out in some botmatches, see if it still holds up in the hecticity (not a word!) of multiplayer

JAEF on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Those patch notes look good.

Also jesus fucking christ I am getting tired of games where half the team seems to be unaware that you can change spawn points.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bit disappointed at the lack of weapon shuffles. GG need to get the message that something is not right when half the team is often choosing marksman.

Estilo on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Huh, the game doesn't end the match when there's noone on the other team.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Had by far my best game of Killzone multiplayer to date last night.

Spawned as Helghast, playing on Salamun Market Redux in Warzone. Already played two round-types and it's gotten to Body Count. I'd been playing as a Marksmen the whole game, trying to keep the highground to take out anyone daft enough to bolt onto the main road, any Drones flying around and EXO pilots.

Only the enemy have realised this now, and I see a squad of four come out a side ally and head for the stairs leading to my Snipers Nest before I can fire on them. Bollocks!

So I do what any self respecting Sniper does: chicken out and hurl myself out the second floor window. I hit the ground, my vision bloodying up, but I'm still alive, and BONUS the enemy haven't noticed I've left my spot.

I charge through the door and brutal melee the rear trooper (a medic). Two of his friends are to his right and turn round weapons blazing. I take a few hits as I bound up the stairs to escape. As I hit the top I run directly into the fourth trooper, an engineer, who rushes me to try and melee me. On total reflex I hit the trigger on my rifle and BANG accidental close-range headshot.

On total adreniline now, I leap on his corpse and heft his LMG into my hands, spinning round just as his two comrades reach the top of the stairs. I don't even think, I don't even aim, I just squeeze the trigger for all I'm worth and hose the area till the gun is dry. The LMG clicks as it runs out of ammo, and the two remaining enemies lie bleeding on the ground. The whole scenario played out in little under a minute but felt so much longer. Those final four kills won us the Body Count.

Felt so unbeleivably awesome, and my crowning moment to date :)

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    bhdavis1bhdavis1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the invite last night, JAEF. I've been stuck in pub matches all week, getting my teeth kicked in. Having an organized team makes this game a shit load more fun. Was nice to be the one doing the kicking for a change...except for that one game...the top spawn with mounted machine guns on each side makes all the difference on that map, not sure what the name is..the one with jetpacks.

EDIT: Damn Seanron, sounds like you had some good games last night too. :)

bhdavis1 on
    PSN: bhdavis1
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Seanron wrote: »

Spawned as Helghast
    Everything past this is redundant.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    Seanron wrote: »

Spawned as Helghast
    Everything past this is redundant.

Actually, yeah :P

Seanron on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Man the lack of quick and accurate turning, including the difficulties of aiming while turning, make the move subpar for multi for me.

JAEF on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Seanron, that is an insane anecdote. Those are the best moments.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll finally be able to get on and play again late tonight. Anybody going to be around about midnight ish Eastern time?

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man the lack of quick and accurate turning, including the difficulties of aiming while turning, make the move subpar for multi for me.

Here are the move settings that work for me:

dz width: 30
    dz height: 40
    cursor: 50
    turn: 60

Kinda tricky to explain but the big "eureka" moment was when I figured out that you can't rotate the player orientation when crouched.. this means when you are crouched you can aim anywhere on your screen without turning (without having your crosshairs in the deadzone). IMO this gives you a huge advantage. Once you get used to it, the dual shock in comparison (where you can only shoot in the dead center of the screen) is extremely limiting.. I don't need to be directly facing you in my line of sight to cap your ass, and that is awesome.

Sploozoo on
    Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Fun Story Seanron, I love those moments.

Salamun Market seems to breed those kind of moments more than most of the other maps. It's too bad they didn't just bundle the damn thing with the full game, it plays so much better than most of the super choke-heavy maps.

And in other news, I just got a 24" 1080p monitor, holy CRAP this game look so much better scaled up (was on a 19" 1440x900 monitor @ 720p, bleh :P)

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Things I can't stand about KZ3:
      Static spawn points - The inability to spawn outside of a tightly clustered, typically indoor area with 1-3 exits that are easily camped should be obvious. The fact that these spawn points are often cutoff areas to get to objective means that they're more important than almost anything else in completing objectives in Warzone or Operations. This issue is compounded by:
      [*]Map design - Most of the new maps have tight corridors of fire and typically 1-2 entrances to key positions instead of the more usual 3-4 you would see in KZ2 maps. Even the remade KZ2 map, Salamun Market, is plagued by the new spawn issues that create problems where there were none, namely:
      [*]Camping - Both of the above make camping a far more serious problem than it was in KZ2. The inability to spawn from your squad leader or a grenade anywhere on the map, coupled with extremely limited spawn point options means you always know where your opponents are coming from. Options to flank your opponent exist in a drastically smaller capacity than they did in KZ2. Camping in KZ3 is also heavily rewarded. Sitting at your base or an appropriate spawn point sniping the enemy as they exit a spawn will easily net you masses of kills, often giving you more points than anyone else, regardless of who wins. Thus you gain levels (and new unlocks) faster than people actually completing objectives.
      [*]Marksman cloak - This actually isn't a problem on its own. What creates the issue is the limited corridors/poor map design/poor spawn design which mean that actually reaching and punishing snipers can be incredibly difficult. Due to the distinct way new maps are divided and controlled, you are often forced to move through key entrypoints or through the groundtroops of the enemy team to reach an enemy marksman who is invisible until they kill someone and will never show up on your radar, even as a tactician.
      [*]Lack of control customization - For some ungodly reason I continue to be unable to map my own controls. I am forced to put my instant kill melee on either my freelook joystick which seems to have poor click detection/response and and can throw my view around in ways I don't intend, or I have to put my iron sights on the same click. Both of these options are absolutely terrible, considering how important both of those actions are. There's simply no excuse for this.

That's all that pops into my head right now. All these things combined make for a really souring multiplayer experience. I don't touch on the obvious technical/network/hardlock issues because I shouldn't have to.

JAEF on
    • Options
      VothVoth Registered User regular
      edited March 2011
      Sploozoo wrote: »

Here are the move settings that work for me:

dz width: 30
      dz height: 40
      cursor: 50
      turn: 60

Kinda tricky to explain but the big "eureka" moment was when I figured out that you can't rotate the player orientation when crouched.. this means when you are crouched you can aim anywhere on your screen without turning (without having your crosshairs in the deadzone). IMO this gives you a huge advantage. Once you get used to it, the dual shock in comparison (where you can only shoot in the dead center of the screen) is extremely limiting.. I don't need to be directly facing you in my line of sight to cap your ass, and that is awesome.

Yes, once you have your preferences set up, it's much faster to move the crosshair over to a target with the Move. It just requires that you stop trying to place object in the center of your screen. That's the hardest thing to get wrapped around in your head when you first start using it. Now, I just quickly find my target while still traveling on a different vector and go about my merry way.

Voth on
      reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
    • Options
      edited March 2011
      It'd be sweet if you could see if anyone is signed in while you're playing.

It was good to team up with a couple people here earlier today.

Cincitucky on
    • Options
      EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
      edited March 2011
      @Jaef
      I'm relatively a FPS noob but the melee controls feel standard to me. Pretty sure that I used a setup that used left-stick-click for run and right-stick-click for melee in Borderlands, MAG, and BLOPS. I guess I'm just used to it now.

EvilMonkey on
      [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
    • Options
      edited March 2011
      @Jaef: Can't disagree with any of that really :(

If the other parts of this game weren't so appealing, those things would probably wear on me a lot faster.

The new spawn system is like a crappy version of BF Conquest, mostly due to the piss-poor placement of most of the spawns. The lack of squad spawning is really the biggest let down.

The core Killzone experience is so visceral and satisfying, it's unfortunate that Guerrilla can't get all of the systems working as well.

CarbonFire on
    • Options
      edited March 2011

If the other parts of this game weren't so appealing, those things would probably wear on me a lot faster.

The new spawn system is like a crappy version of BF Conquest, mostly due to the piss-poor placement of most of the spawns. The lack of squad spawning is really the biggest let down.

The core Killzone experience is so visceral and satisfying, it's unfortunate that Guerrilla can't get all of the systems working as well.
      The thing that's most frustrating to me is that they "fixed" all the typical FPS issues with the way KZ2 was designed and then threw it all out. Why? It's so vexing.
      EvilMonkey wrote: »
      @Jaef
      I'm relatively a FPS noob but the melee controls feel standard to me. Pretty sure that I used a setup that used left-stick-click for run and right-stick-click for melee in Borderlands, MAG, and BLOPS. I guess I'm just used to it now.
      That doesn't help me or anyone else that has issues with using the freelook stick as a trigger. I've played other games. This has always been an issue, and has always been unacceptable in instances where you cannot properly remap these buttons or viable alternate control schemes don't exist. Failing at the core interaction level of your game is one of the cardinal sins.

JAEF on
    • Options
      elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
      edited March 2011
      I don't mind the aim control being on the right joystick, mostly because the guns are accurate enough that you don't have to aim often on these tight maps.

elliotw2 on
      camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    • Options
      edited March 2011
      elliotw2 wrote: »
      I don't mind the aim control being on the right joystick, mostly because the guns are accurate enough that you don't have to aim often on these tight maps.
      Not the issue.

JAEF on
    • Options
      edited March 2011

The thing that's most frustrating to me is that they "fixed" all the typical FPS issues with the way KZ2 was designed and then threw it all out. Why? It's so vexing.

The only two reasons I can come up for why they dropped the old system:

They wanted to reduce the amount of objective zerging from KZ2 - throw down a spawn point right on top of an objective, then just overwhelm it with waves of guys and explosive spam.

Or

They really, really wanted the mortar strike to take up that third ability slot, and thus didn't have any more controls to assign for a placeable spawn point.

There were better solutions to both of those issues, but oh well....c'est la vie.

CarbonFire on
    • Options
      edited March 2011
      It'd be monstrously simple to implement zone restrictions on spawn grenades (e.g. cannot be used within 20 yards of objectives/enemy spawn) and give them a slightly larger spawn radius so they weren't a tight grenade beacon. Regardless, removing them was a choice. A really, really poor choice, considering the fact that they didn't replace it with any other type of dynamic spawning system.

JAEF on
    • Options
      elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
      edited March 2011
      Not the issue.

If the issue is not allowing free remapping of controls, it's generally "excused" by the company saying they don't want people to have an advantage based on control scheme, but that sounds like a really weak excuse to me, and if I want aim up to be X and shoot to be select, they should let me.

elliotw2 on
      camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    • Options
      edited March 2011
      If the issue is not allowing free remapping of controls, it's generally "excused" by the company saying they don't want people to have an advantage based on control scheme, but that sounds like a really weak excuse to me, and if I want aim up to be X and shoot to be select, they should let me.
      This is a game that lets you use a magic fucking wand to point at people and shoot them. There is no excuse for a lack of more alternate control sets or complete remapping.

JAEF on
    • Options
      edited March 2011
      It'd be monstrously simple to implement zone restrictions on spawn grenades (e.g. cannot be used within 20 yards of objectives/enemy spawn) and give them a slightly larger spawn radius so they weren't a tight grenade beacon. Regardless, removing them was a choice. A really, really poor choice, considering the fact that they didn't replace it with any other type of dynamic spawning system.

I actually really like the idea of spawn grenades, cause when used properly in KZ2 they were really handy. I like the static spawn capture points as well as they are natural firefight areas, but the grenades are trully missed!

Seanron on
    • Options
      CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
      edited March 2011
      Finally got around to picking this up. If I could get an invite for CorriganX and Bushido_b to the clan, that'd be swell.

CorriganX on
      n1woEHJ.png
      CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    • Options
      MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
      edited March 2011
      All this talk about the KZ2 multiplayer systems makes me wonder...have they killed the KZ2 MP servers?

Marikir on
      steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir