As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mirroring RAID questions...

Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I just set up a dual 400GB mirroring RAID, everything is in working order and I've already started to load the thing up with ripped CDs and personal documents.

My questions are as follows:

With a mirroring RAID, everything is handled automatically by the RAID controller, right? I'm wondering if there's anything I need to do to ensure that all the data gets backed up.

Can I defragment a mirroring RAID? I use an O&O-like defragmenting program. Would the program interfere with the mirroring at all?

Locust76 on

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    When you send data to a mirrored RAID, it gets written to both disks simultaneously, so you don't have to do anything to ensure it's backed up.

As for defragmenting, I think it should be OK, but I'm not certain.

japan on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    And remember, just because you have a mirror, it doesn't mean you should forgo doing regular backups. If you delete something, it is deleted synchronously, just like it was done when it was edited or added.

stigweard on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    stigweard wrote:
    And remember, just because you have a mirror, it doesn't mean you should forgo doing regular backups. If you delete something, it is deleted synchronously, just like it was done when it was edited or added.

What he said. Raid only protects against disk failure. If it's important back it up to tape/CD/DVD.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    stigweard wrote:
    If you delete something, it is deleted synchronously
    Also, if a program decides it's going to chew up a file and save over it with complete garbage (thanks Powerpoint!), it gets done to both drives at the same time. So yeah, backing up crucial stuff to removable is definitely still a good idea.

Edit: As for defragmenting, yes you should be able to defrag a mirrored RAID set. I believe the OS still controls where and how data gets written, i.e. where on the disk and fragmented or unfragmented, the RAID controller just copies that data and writes it to both disks. So if Windows decides to fragment a file, it's fragmented on both drives in the mirror set. If you defrag, you defrag both drives in the mirror simultaneously.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    PirateJon wrote:
    stigweard wrote:

What he said. Raid only protects against disk failure. If it's important back it up to tape/CD/DVD.

A lot of disk failures are caused by power surges - like if your power supply decides to die spectacularly one day. Also, if you're using identical disks from the same manufacturing run (which is possible if you bought them both at the same time from the same distributor) they could fail similtaneously. RAID is no substitute for a backup.

Personally, I think RAID-1 is overused. It's a waste of space and is useless against a lot of real-world data loss scenarios. I'd either add a third HD for RAID-5 or free up the space by going unmirrored or RAID-0.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This whole ordeal kind of blew my mind. I started the thread "Master File Table Corrupt..." because my HD just, out of the blue, decided to become corrupt and I lost access to all my data, specifically uni documents, music and photo albums... I never thought such horseshit could happen.

Thankfully my old 400gb drive (the one that the RAID is replacing), is still healthy, according to a disk scanner, so I'm going to salvage the rest of the data, format it and throw it into an eSATA enclosure and use that as a backup of my mirror. On top of that, I've sworn to myself that I'm also going to back up all my photo albums onto CD, as well as having them on a mirrored RAID which gets backed up every so often.

I'm gonna have copies, and you're gonna have copies. We're all gonna have so many fuckin' copies we'll be whistlin' Zippity-doo-da out of our assholes!

Locust76 on