As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Armored Core 5 - You got Chromehounds in my AC!

• SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    We're rocking the online mode as we speak. Pretty awesome.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Hmm. I'm pretty happy with my emblem now. I just needed to throw a bunch of dirt on it!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    beware order mission 07, it's tougher than lvl 1

VayBJ4e.png
  • ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So I seem to be having trouble getting on-line to work. I read around and apparently the NAT settings on my router have to be tweaked. I set it to "open" but still can't get in. Anyone else run into this on 360? Do ports need to be forwarded too?

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • flapjackflapjack Registered User regular
    Had a lot of fun tonight everyone! Awesome times. Can't wait to start figuring out how more of this stuff works and playing around with some more team missions.

So I seem to be having trouble getting on-line to work. I read around and apparently the NAT settings on my router have to be tweaked. I set it to "open" but still can't get in. Anyone else run into this on 360? Do ports need to be forwarded too?
    This might be what you are looking for.

VayBJ4e.png
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    As soon as my new headset comes in, us ps3 people need to kill some mans.

steam_sig.png
    I made a terrible operator tonight. I swear I'll get better. Sorry fellow wangs.

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Hopefully I will get a chance to play this tomorrow night. The more I read the more I am looking forward to it...

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I'm really dissapointed in the negative reviews, because they are so wrong. I mean, yes the game is complicated as fuck and poorly documented, but it is *so* good

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    It's like how Saint's Row the Third got shitty reviews because it was viewed as childish and juvenile.

it's the whole fucking idea

Armored Core's idea is to be complicated as fuck and poorly documented. It's a hard game.

u4OkoEI.png
  • ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think that's what I need, Virgil. I was able to get a static IP assigned and everything but it's still not connecting. I had to reboot everything and then I ran out of time so I'll tinker with it more tomorrow. I did get through the tutorial level. The chainsaw dude didn't even hit me before it ended. Disappointing.

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Thanks for the games tonight guys.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
    Team vs. Team combat looks so awesome. They've really made almost a sport out of it. I can't wait until we fill the team out and start making a mess of folks.

VayBJ4e.png
    I totally just want to play commander. I don't care of I never ride an AC in our matches.

steam_sig.png
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Man fuck that train battle.

I ended that battle earning NEGATIVE 300k from all the damage and ammo.

Never replaying that mission again.

On a different note, this game is infinitely more fun with teammates. I also like that you can gift parts and money to teammates. It'll make it alot easier for new players to get started up with seasoned players.

edit: oh, and is the story completely incomprehensible to anyone else? I just started skipping it to get to blowing up stuff again.

ManetherenWolf on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    It's like how Saint's Row the Third got shitty reviews because it was viewed as childish and juvenile.

it's the whole fucking idea

Armored Core's idea is to be complicated as fuck and poorly documented. It's a hard game.

I've often said that game reviewers are all just scrubby college journalism drop outs that are bad at video games. Could you imagine those guys trying to play Steel Battalion? They'd shit their own hearts out.

See you gents later today when I get home (with a potential short break when my g/f gets home from work so that I can break up with her like a bauss)!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Bleh, should have known I couldn't grab it from a shop. "It's not out til next week" was among the replies, oh retail.

Gonna order it online, hopefully be jumping in with you dudes tommorow.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    nessin wrote: »
    How is this different from AC4 (or AC3, can't remember which I played)? I dug into the OP and saw the comment about it having more depth than Mechwarrior, but the AC I played a few years ago was pure arcade action.

From a gameplay perspective: From AC3, it's faster, with all handheld weapons being left and right arm equippable, and only one shoulder weapon (though some arms double up, giving it twice the ammo/firepower/usage). With boost you can no longer ascend, so your height ceiling is how high you can jump, unless you have buildings/walls/enemies to hop up higher on. There are no radiator parts (I forget exactly when they realized those and the heat system were stupid), and honestly AC building is a lot simpler, as you have arm/leg/head/core/fcs/generator/booster/right weapon/left weapon/shoulder weapon/overed weapon/possible hangars as opposed to having internal weapons and extensions and the like. Also no overboost, unless you count glide boost which is much, much slower.

From AC4 it's significantly slower, with a few less parts, no kojima particles (so no primal armor or kojima weapons), no balancing/stabilizers... and that's about it aside from the previously mentioned new boost system.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    I'll be on for about an hour or two around 5 central, if anyone wants to run some missions again.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Are there only the three cores to choose from?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    Stupid England and the lack of game retailers. Tesco didn't have it, Argos hasn't got any in stock. No game around here, but it's not even listed on the website so I doubt stores will have it. Sainsburys tonight is my last hope. I worked from home with the hope of sneaking some robot action in. Balls.

steam_sig.png
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Are there only the three cores to choose from?

The three types or the three cores? There are a shitload of cores.

u4OkoEI.png
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    DanWeino wrote: »
    Stupid England and the lack of game retailers. Tesco didn't have it, Argos hasn't got any in stock. No game around here, but it's not even listed on the website so I doubt stores will have it. Sainsburys tonight is my last hope. I worked from home with the hope of sneaking some robot action in. Balls.

Yep, no luck anywhere.

Shopto had it for £30 but sold out of course, plumped for the amazon version with next day shipping, extra tenner but mech action is worth it.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Is the PSN team invite, or closed with the usual password?

Might wanna get in on this after playing around with solo a bit more.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • flapjackflapjack Registered User regular
    Perhaps at some point after we've experimented more with the various systems we should write up a post with information on the various aspects of the game and how they interact (I know energy can be a relatively complex but highly important system to understand). Just kind of an "accumulated knowledge" thing. Thoughts?

Also our 3 person invasion yesterday was the most hilariously catastrophic thing I have ever experienced.

edited March 2012
    Grislo wrote: »
    Is the PSN team invite, or closed with the usual password?

Might wanna get in on this after playing around with solo a bit more.

It's open. There's a search option when examining teams. Just type Mechanica Arcadia to find it and sign on up!

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    DanWeino wrote: »

Yep, no luck anywhere.

Shopto had it for £30 but sold out of course, plumped for the amazon version with next day shipping, extra tenner but mech action is worth it.

No luck here either, so I've done the same, because I really want a big stompy laser-firing mech, and I want it yesterday.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
    flapjack wrote: »
    Perhaps at some point after we've experimented more with the various systems we should write up a post with information on the various aspects of the game and how they interact (I know energy can be a relatively complex but highly important system to understand). Just kind of an "accumulated knowledge" thing. Thoughts?

Also our 3 person invasion yesterday was the most hilariously catastrophic thing I have ever experienced.

Catastrophic doesn't even begin to describe it. We were... not prepared.

edited March 2012

Reminds me of my first mission as a mercenary. The team leader and his friend plus me went up against four guys on a level 70~ team plus their operator.

Lasted about 55 seconds.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    THe main problem we were having last night as a 5 man was we couldn't find any way to amke missions remotely challenging, we'd dial the difficulty up all the way aaaannnddd. nothing would change, practically no resistance.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin

Reminds me of my first mission as a mercenary. The team leader and his friend plus me went up against four guys on a level 70~ team plus their operator.

Lasted about 55 seconds.

That's essentially what this was. It was a massacre.

• fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    OOOO this is out! In words I can understand?

Damn my broken tv and lack of money! \( ._.)/ I'll catch up when I can, don't lose interest!

So how the fucktitties do conquest and holding territories work?

You fight people, TO THE DEATH, until you have enough territory points to hold a territory. You can setup defenses and such to protect your phat properties when your dudermans are offline.

I dunno, I got my headset though, all us PS3 people need to throw down at some point, now.

steam_sig.png
    What are the benefits of holding a territory, though?

Looking at the leaderboards, even in our tiny neck of the woods, it's shocking how much bigger and dangerouser all the other teams are :lol: We're level 57 or so and I think the lowest I've seen from a team on the leaderboards is like 167, in our operation base.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    So what kind of AC do you guys play? I've always like heavy/tank personally

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Quads and chicken legs. I used to make really light, aggressive mechs, but it seems like the best bet now is to go for a bit more armor.

u4OkoEI.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The intro menus and what not to this game during setup are giving me Steel Battalion flashbacks.

This is a good thing.

EDIT: Jesus fuck these cutscenes are damn near photorealistic.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    I put in a satisfactory arrangement of Penny Arcade colors into the Ps3 team's uniforms. Feel free to change or replace it.

VayBJ4e.png