As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Armored Core 5 - You got Chromehounds in my AC!

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Jesus christ AC5 feels SO MUCH like a modern Steel Battalion. GOTY.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • heckelsheckels Registered User regular
    So how does this compare with chromehounds...i never played the other AC games....

heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
  • ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So, I finally got everything working and can connect to on-line mode. Success! I tried applying to WANG and it said there were too many prospective applicants and wouldn't let me enlist. Must be a popular group of dudes there. Can anyone free up a slot?

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    any good deals on this yet? i kinda want it after the let down of RE: ORC...

Oh god, so many parts, so much experimenting to do.

The possibilities...

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Shaftoe47Shaftoe47 Registered User regular
    Hey doodaguys, the is (obviously) Shaftoe from last night on xbxlive. Had a blast and am glad to meet all of you. I won't be back in town until Monday, but can't wait to jump online and do again with everyone.

Also, it would be awesome to get a wiki/AC building strategy guide up like yesterday. The game rox!

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Man, downside of console headsets, game sounds sure trigger mics a lot. Hm hm. How to do.

steam_sig.png
  • SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So, I finally got everything working and can connect to on-line mode. Success! I tried applying to WANG and it said there were too many prospective applicants and wouldn't let me enlist. Must be a popular group of dudes there. Can anyone free up a slot?

When I get home tonight, I'll look at it. Anyone up for playing around 5 central?

SkyTurnsRed on
    any good deals on this yet? i kinda want it after the let down of RE: ORC...

Is it really that bad? Yikes.

Holy crap this game is sooooo gooooooood. It doesn't really strike me as all that complicated, but then again, I'm also the sort of nutjob that figures out how to control Mechwarrior 4 with a full HOTAS + Pedal setup.

Steering a mech with rudder pedals is something everyone should experience at least once.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Laser swords are RECOCKULOUS now. They're like flamethrowers that shoot lightning.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    skyknyt wrote: »
    Laser swords are RECOCKULOUS now. They're like flamethrowers that shoot lightning.

Accurate description. The Moonlight's particle effect while drawn is also very subtle and very awesome.

u4OkoEI.png
  • skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Double Moonlights lets you use both at once to completely annihilate whatever poor asshole was in front of you.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
    Or you can just use that 61,000 damage heat pilebunker. Pow.

steam_sig.png
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Holy crap this game is sooooo gooooooood. It doesn't really strike me as all that complicated, but then again, I'm also the sort of nutjob that figures out how to control Mechwarrior 4 with a full HOTAS + Pedal setup.

Steering a mech with rudder pedals is something everyone should experience at least once.

it's not hard complicated so much as "wtf does this graph represent? wtf does this obscure stat mean? wtf game mode do we want to play to capture x!?" no instructions throw you in the deep end of the poolw ith an anvil strapped to your back hard.

Speaking of moonlights, we had many terrible, terrible friendly fire incidents with them last night =0

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    So, uh, hit select, I guess? Or the back button on 360 I assume. That little popup explains every little number on the weapon sheet. The game does a fairly good job documenting itself. Except some of the UI elements and menus and such. Those are kind of terrible.

steam_sig.png
  • MarsloMarslo is, the dirty frenchmen MontrealRegistered User regular
    i wish i had control over the op, all these changes and updates but i cant do snuff about it.

• s1ppycups1ppycup Registered User regular
    enlisted in mechanica arcadia as pilot: s1ppycup, psn name: chingrimach

GTA V (PSN): chingrimach
    LoL: s1ppycup
    BF3 + 4: Hardon_Edgewise (PC)
    MH3U: s1ppycup (WiiU)
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

it's not hard complicated so much as "wtf does this graph represent? wtf does this obscure stat mean? wtf game mode do we want to play to capture x!?" no instructions throw you in the deep end of the poolw ith an anvil strapped to your back hard.

Speaking of moonlights, we had many terrible, terrible friendly fire incidents with them last night =0
    A lot of it is just typical From Software, language translation stuff.
    s1ppycup wrote: »
    enlisted in mechanica arcadia as pilot: s1ppycup, psn name: chingrimach

Welcome aboard man!

VayBJ4e.png
  • s1ppycups1ppycup Registered User regular
    Thanks! trying to figure shit out :P No mic either :C

GTA V (PSN): chingrimach
    LoL: s1ppycup
    BF3 + 4: Hardon_Edgewise (PC)
    MH3U: s1ppycup (WiiU)
    This game is really starting to click. I love it.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I hate the
    "you are leaving the mission area" while dogging it,
    to be followed by KABOOM!

VayBJ4e.png
  • OrmussOrmuss Registered User regular
    I impulse bought this game on my way home from work, basically because of this thread. Just thought you should know.

I'm on PS3; I'll look into joining the group you guys have going if I can finish ME3 within the next couple days.

• Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I've joined the ps3 crew. I did some solo orders and helped some people kill some helicopters. I have no idea what I'm doing yet, not having played previous entries. Any advice?

My psn name is sojakfa and my pilot name is Bhushan

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Me and Grey Adder(BlueMap here) just defended the shit out of our northern territory me and Grey took earlier 2v4 style.

Salt mines are over flowing amongst "Team Death."

This game...so...fucking...good...

Edit => Also good shit to Penguin and flapjack for the games right before we had to head out. We got some snow mountain territory and ruined that duo's day for trying to steal our desert land!

I really want to see a 4v4 everyone running a jammer in one hand and a shotgun or rifle other hand game now. Jammers provide the lols even if they aren't super effective.

Column on
  • flapjackflapjack Registered User regular
    Awesome, awesome times tonight Nice Guys. Feels like I've just barely scratched the surface, too. Can't wait to get some more in ASAP.

• ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Still can't join WANG, is 20 the maximum number of teammates?

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
    I've joined the ps3 crew. I did some solo orders and helped some people kill some helicopters. I have no idea what I'm doing yet, not having played previous entries. Any advice?

My psn name is sojakfa and my pilot name is Bhushan

Basically, things die when their Armor Points run out.

I've notice that there seems to be 3 important play styles that people develop around.

Overclocked Speed & Offense (Scouts and Snipers)
    Overclocked Defense & Offense (Berserkers and Mobile Weapon Platforms )
    Balance of Defense, Offense, Speed. (Soldiers, Jack of All Trades)

You have 3 active weapon bays, and typically 2 or 3 extra hangars that will hold weapons, which you can swap between on missions with (Triangle + Weapon Button).
    You typically want to have a variety of weapon damage types on your AC. Targeting something in Scan Mode will tell you what will be effective.

Further defining the playstyles, people will develop ACs around the range that they want to fight people.
    ---
    Overclocked Speed & Offense that want to fight up close will equip shotguns, swords, rapid fire assault weapons, and dumb AOEs such as rockets.

Overclocked Speed & Offense that want to fight long range will equip sniper rifles, swords, Lasers, and missiles, potentially a big ole cannon of some sort.

Regardless of range, Combat involves boosting around the opponent's shots, and maintaining yourself within the range that you have developed your ac to work well in. Speedy units don't tend to have reliable amounts of ammo, so swords and other small weapons are popular to have in the hangar.

---
    Overclocked Defense & Offense that want to fight up close, will equip the biggest rapid fire assault weapons, and the biggest dumb AOEs such as rockets. Potentially Mines or support drones as well.

Overclocked Defense & Offense that want to fight long range, will equip the biggest cannons, and the biggest missile salvos.

These guys are slower than others, so the idea is that once an opponent becomes visible, they soon become dead. Armor means you can afford to maneuver yourself within the line of fire to get your deadly strikes in. This means charging the enemy, or picking a fairly visible rooftop to camp at, depending on the AC's preferred range. You want clear line of sight.

---
    Balanced ACs will often use rifles, rapid assault weapons, and a mix of normal sized- everything else.

They are the most versatile and reliable types of ACs. You can't insta-kill your opponent, nor can you expect to dodge every bullet.
    What you can do is pick weapons with decent damage, moderate range, and high ammo- then proceed to move battles in places that neither party can fight well in. It means fighting at mid-range and popping out of cover to get pot shots in. Often in the attempt to get close to a sniper, or far away from a close range offensive unit. It means long harrowing battles.

Rifles will do okay from any range, and most of the weapons on specialized ACs will not.

You can get a good general rundown on other AC parts at this limited wiki.

The great thing about this game in the franchise, is that there is little pain in learning and failing.

Like Dark Souls, they expect you to have trouble and try again from time to time. Sometimes you just have to use a different type of weapon or tactic against something.
    Money ain't no thing in this latest iteration, so buy parts for building a bunch of silly ACs to try out. You can save designs and later load them up for a mission, as long as you still have the parts.

VayBJ4e.png
  • MaterlyMaterly Registered User regular
    So far this game is pretty intense, enjoying the feel and getting used to the non-superdrive dash and slash pace of the game. Trying to join team we are nice guys but it says too many requests in the queue, any chance of clearing that out?

Also my xbox tag is the same as here on the forums, Materly

When life gives you lemons, you squeeze the lemon juice into your enemies eyes and steal his apples - Runoir

materly.png
    Materly wrote: »
    So far this game is pretty intense, enjoying the feel and getting used to the non-superdrive dash and slash pace of the game. Trying to join team we are nice guys but it says too many requests in the queue, any chance of clearing that out?

i'm pretty sure that's a server error, our team doesn't have any approval process afaik. The servers are getting hammered tonight though, took me 5 minutes to register as a merc and it usually takes <5 seconds

• ColumnColumn Registered User regular

I've read elsewhere 20 is the max number allowed in a unit. Which is odd, given they have 00-99 for number IDs. I blame it on their crappy way to see people in the unit; it works okay with one row of ten, but that second row when you have eleven to twenty people in the unit just takes up too much screen space.

You guys may want to start WeAreNiceGuys2. I believe you can ally with other units, but I need to double check if that is or isn't possible.

• MaterlyMaterly Registered User regular
    Also is there a way to play local co-op? My brother is over at my place and we wanted to play rock-em-sock-em robots but I can't figure out how to do local co-op and he doesn't have a gold account.

When life gives you lemons, you squeeze the lemon juice into your enemies eyes and steal his apples - Runoir

materly.png
    Column wrote: »

I've read elsewhere 20 is the max number allowed in a unit. Which is odd, given they have 00-99 for number IDs. I blame it on their crappy way to see people in the unit; it works okay with one row of ten, but that second row when you have eleven to twenty people in the unit just takes up too much screen space.

You guys may want to start WeAreNiceGuys2. I believe you can ally with other units, but I need to double check if that is or isn't possible.
    that..that is so stupid =0

on an unrelated note, how do you charge kick people

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Wow, fucking really armored core?

Set music to 0, start game. Intro cinematic has no audio because it is all on the music channel.
    Fuck.
    Ok skip skip skip, let me go back and make a new character. Fuck I can't get back to the title screen.
    Ok back to dashboard, spend 3 minutes trying to find where the storage is in the new awful UI.
    Load back up
    Profile found online, using that. "What, no fuck you!"

I now can no longer view the intro cinematic or the first tutorial mission. Good job game.

You can.

VayBJ4e.png
    Thanks for that super helpful post, HOW?

Sorry, I was going to edit it in.

The intro can be found under "extra"
    and the first tutorial mission is the first story level in Urban Area.
    Unless it's different for non-online play.

VayBJ4e.png
    Ok cool, thank you!

edited March 2012
    edit

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
    the sad thing is, all of the cinematics are so incomprehensible having no audio doesn't hinder you in understanding wtf is going on at all.