As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Me wants a High Score Game.

AumniAumni Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok. So I have a strong craving for high scoring.

Systems : PC or 360

Bonus for online leader boards.

Games I'm kinda done with for now: Geo wars, Lumines, Tetris, Puzzle Fighter, though something like those games wouldn't be bad.

I'm trying out the Demos of Pac-Man Championship Edition DX for 360, and just got through a trial session with Plants vs Zombies (though it isn't really a high score game aside from survival apparently).

I was tempted by Bejeweled 3, but slightly off put by no online leader boards. Would rather not Peggle, though I could be convinced.

More or less a time killer with some sort of way to compete/progress.

Thanks guys.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
Aumni on

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pinball FX 2.

Good luck.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Need for Speed Hot Pursuit

The Club

Peen on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Super Meat Boy doesn't have high scores so much as short times, but it definitely scratches the same itch for me.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Chime?

schuss on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pinball FX 2. Pac-Man CE. Pac-Man CE DX.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    schuss wrote: »
    Chime?

Checking out this and other suggestions. It's pretty awesome that Pinball FX2 is free. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Peen - Thanks for those suggestions, but with the raging ice storm outside I'm going to stick with smaller downloadable fixes.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Isnt this a niche Bulletstorm is going after?

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Aumni wrote: »
    Chime?

Checking out this and other suggestions. It's pretty awesome that Pinball FX2 is free. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Peen - Thanks for those suggestions, but with the raging ice storm outside I'm going to stick with smaller downloadable fixes.

Yeah that makes sense, getting home from work is going to be a bitch today.

But if you do break out sometime those are both interesting games, The Club can be had for cheap and NFS is fucking incredible.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The bulletstorm demo definitely scratched that itch. Didn't realize the who the guys behind it were.

Aumni on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gdiguy on
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Robot unicorn attack?

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    YranYran Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You mentioned Geo Wars, but have you played the sequel? It adds 5 new game modes and multiplayer.

I dare you to play Pacifism less than 5 times in a setting. It is not possible.

Yran on
    630847-1.png?1294970711
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Trials HD

exis on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How has no one else mentioned audiosurf?

Casual on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you like tower defense games, perfecting your Defense Grid scores against your friends and the world would keep you busy for quite some time.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DrFrylock wrote: »
    Robot unicorn attack?

Robot Unicorn Attack.

Quid on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rez HD? I don't know if it has leaderboards, but it sure has one heck of a score challenge.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Play Adult Swim games, get your username bumped on TV. That's a nice little perk.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Quake 3 Defrag!

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok. So I have a strong craving for high scoring.

Systems : PC or 360

Bonus for online leader boards.

Games I'm kinda done with for now: Geo wars, Lumines, Tetris, Puzzle Fighter, though something like those games wouldn't be bad.

I'm trying out the Demos of Pac-Man Championship Edition DX for 360, and just got through a trial session with Plants vs Zombies (though it isn't really a high score game aside from survival apparently).

I was tempted by Bejeweled 3, but slightly off put by no online leader boards. Would rather not Peggle, though I could be convinced.

More or less a time killer with some sort of way to compete/progress.

Thanks guys.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/arawkins/dolphin-olympics-2

try to get to the restaurant at the end of the universe. (it is possible)

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Rez HD? I don't know if it has leaderboards, but it sure has one heck of a score challenge.

Not only does it have leaderboards, but it also lets you download a replay so you can see exactly how someone achieved that score.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It doesn't have leaderboards, but Spelunky might be up your alley (roguelike platformer). It's freeware.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pac-Man CE DX will likely be a half price deal of the week on 360 later this month.

I'm gonna second the suggestion of Geo Wars 2 if you've only played the first one.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pre-installed on your Xbox 360's hard drive should be a full copy of Hexic HD, a nifty and disturbingly addictive puzzle game by the same guy that made Tetris. Go into your games library and it should be in there.

There's plenty of scope in the game for high score chasing and I do believe it has on-line leaderboards. It's free and already there for you to play so it should be worth a look.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SteevL wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Not only does it have leaderboards, but it also lets you download a replay so you can see exactly how someone achieved that score.

I was coming here to suggest exactly this. You can go for the high scores and unlocks, having a ridiculously fun and intense time, but you could also play it on eternal mode and relax with some kick ass semi-dynamic music. This game is so much fun. Jesus christ, I keep falling just shy of the score challenge for Area 5 though (which is a 15-20 min level).

BoomShake on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hexic, Bulletstorm, Pac-man, Geometry Wars 2, Bejeweled 2, and Plants Vs Zombies

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Crawl Stone Soup, kinda high scores, but mostly dying a lot. And old. But free.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Man I love robot unicorn.

"ALWAYS, I WANT TO BE WITH YOU"

Yes I've played the shit out of Geo Wars 2.

I ended up picking up bejeweled 3, probably will buy some tables in FX 2, and have definitely now considered purchasing Bulletstorm because that game seems like it will be pretty awesome for a score junkie like me.

Downloading Spelunk now.

Thanks again guys for a ton of great suggestions.

EDIT: Open your eyes! Your eyes are open!

Aumni on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Chime?

Sweet merciful monkeys, check out Chime. I also love Pinball FX2, but Chime is one of the best relaxation time-killers ever.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Robot Unicorn Heavy Metal Attack has Blind Guardian for its music :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heYORPZazxg

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Casual wrote: »
    How has no one else mentioned audiosurf?

Audiosurf.

An-D on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Perfect Dark XBLA speedrunning leaderboards can be very addictive.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Adultswim.com has lots of games with leaderboards. Constantly putting new games up as well. And if you are godly enough at their newest games you could get your name shown on TV displaying your score.

Robot Unicorn Attack
    Amature Surgeon
    Zombie Hooker Nightmare
    and many many more

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Chime?

Sweet merciful monkeys, check out Chime. I also love Pinball FX2, but Chime is one of the best relaxation time-killers ever.

Check out Chime but it felt too much like Lumines to me, even though the scoring mechanic was quiet different. Nice what they're doing with charity and stuff, but not my cup of tea for a game.

Aumni on
  • Options
    JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Everything by Radiangames on the 360 (XBLIG)

Desktop Dungeons

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer