Options

Holy [CHAT]! My Wii arrived!

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Buckwolfe wrote:
    Oh...oh, no. I just remembered how frustrating it is to do comic page layouts and measurements...Shocked.gif

Also, go to hell Spex! Where's my Wii at, huh? There isn't a single unit for sale in all of Boston. Literally. Called every Best Buy, Game Stop, EB, etc. in the greater Boston area...

...Nothing...It's no fair.Confused.gif

You should come to Texas around the Houston area; there's a pretty good supply around. Nothing gargantuous, just enough for the people who want one to get it.

No one really cares about the Wii here, which was good news for me when I picked one up.

Godfather on
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Phonehand wrote:
    I need a subject for my Chinese art history paper. It can be pretty much anything. I was thinking of doing a modern Chinese artist. gogogogogo

somebody reply this time

Tony Wong? The guy pretty much made the Chinese Manhua (comic) industry a giant that sells more comics a week than US sells a year?

Thanks to him, weekly sales of the top 10 comics are around 4-5 million each, the Chinese comic industry is second only to Japan´s, with the US comics industry a distant fifth behind Franco-Beligian and Koran indusries.

Some links-
    http://www.giantrobot.com/transmissions/51batman/index.html
    http://lambiek.net/artists/w/wong_yuk-long.htm

His first comic-
    http://www.usscatastrophe.com/itlives/library/kungfu/dragontiger01.html

Examples of his later work -
    http://www.marsimport.com/display_creator?ID=4356

A Batman comic he drew, with links to a 5-page preview
    http://www.ugo.com/channels/comics/features/batman_hongkong/default.asp

JCM on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    but yeah, HTML is something I'd like to learn. How'd you manage to pick up your HTML skillzz?

I'm self-taught with both HTML and CSS, but learning HTML was a longer process, mostly because I had no reason to know it immediately, so I learned it slowly....like, over a period of two or three years. I learned CSS in about 6 months, but that was basic stuff. I'm still learning CSS - there's a lot to it, and a looooot of bugs you have to figure out.

I actually wish I could devote time to learning more about webdesign, because I freakin' love it, and not even the design...I enjoy the coding. I am such a freak! :shock:

But yeah...if you're devoted to learning it, and you've got free time on your hands, you could easily learn HTML in like 3 months, and CSS really really well in 6 months or so. I'm just going off my own experiences, though, so maybe it would be less or more for other people.

I don't know. It's just fun for me. I also like filling out forms. I think it's just the idea of organization and structure that I like, or something.

God, that's so weird.

But yeah, fun.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    webstuffs!

Okay, awesome. I guess I should get crackin' then. I'm really interested in webdesign, and would like not NOT pay someone to build mine, not because of the money, but because it would be a lot easier for me to just go in a fix something that's wrong with it, or whatever.

[spoiler:266c3ba2fd]I love filling out forms as well. That's why I liked the college application process. I'm pretty lame.[/spoiler:266c3ba2fd]

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Actually it should take you maybe a month to learn all of HTML itself. HTML is easy. You can learn the basics of HTMl in a day or two. It's not hard at all.

The CSS concepts are easy too.

Getting CSS and HTML to work together across Mozilla, Internet Explorer, and Safari is where things start getting annoying.

It depends how much CSS you want; everyones moving to everything being CSS, or there is transitional where some things are CSS, but positioning is still HTML. Setting up HTML tables for positioning can be a lot easier than CSS positioning, but you can get similar results:

Site I made that uses HTML table based layouts:
    http://www.cybercopyusa.com/

Site that was entirely CSS based when I handed it off:
    http://cinevate.com/

You can make something like that in about 2 months of learning.

The GUI and frontend of web design is fairly easy until you hit some cross-browser flukes; it's when you get to complicated backend programming that things get a bit tougher in terms of how much you have to learn. Stuff like making an image gallery, blog, CMS, shopping carts, any kind of web app. That's what's hard and really takes learning.

Virum on
  • Options
    freekfreek Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Buckwolfe wrote:
    I know that the San Diego Con was brought up in the last chat thread, but I was wondering if anybody else was planning on going to the NY Comic Con at the end of February?

I want to go but the online tickets for Saturday (the only day I could go) are sold out. I wonder if buying the weekend pass would count. Then I guess I could go Friday night too.

freek on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited February 2007
    My tent cot is here! All bow before the weekend military camp master!

Grifter on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hey... I'm going skiing and coming back on Saturday. Please excuse my lack of activity in the BT until then.

Mayday on
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Remember a while back when I was concerned about global warming? Fuck it. Bring it on. Chicago is cold :x

Deans on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Deans wrote:
    Remember a while back when I was concerned about global warming? Fuck it. Bring it on. Chicago is cold :x

Indiana's cold too.

Where's your precious global warming now, Al Gore? Hm? HM?

Fugitive on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think it's in California. It's hot today.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    It's been pretty chilly and rainy here for a few weeks now. Hovering at around 65-70 degrees F

Grifter on
  • Options
    PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dudes! I had a dream of the future recently. I had a dream a week ago about my brother getting hit by a car. He just got hit today! I asked if he got hit on the drivers side cause thats what it was in my dream, and I was right! I told my brother that, and he said he had a dream to about him getting hit by an arab guy, and it was an arab guy. HOLY SHIT DUDES! I'm going to bed early tonight.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Virum wrote:
    Actually it should take you maybe a month to learn all of HTML itself. HTML is easy. You can learn the basics of HTMl in a day or two. It's not hard at all.

The CSS concepts are easy too.

Getting CSS and HTML to work together across Mozilla, Internet Explorer, and Safari is where things start getting annoying.

The GUI and frontend of web design is fairly easy until you hit some cross-browser flukes; it's when you get to complicated backend programming that things get a bit tougher in terms of how much you have to learn. Stuff like making an image gallery, blog, CMS, shopping carts, any kind of web app. That's what's hard and really takes learning.

yeah, what he said. :P

I kind of wanted to cover my ass with the "3 months" thing - I don't know how long it typically takes people to "learn" this stuff, so I didn't want to come off as being egotistical and say the "one or two day" thing. But yeah, it's really not that hard once you understand the coding basics.

I think what I meant with the 3 months/6 months deal was "learning it to the point of not needing a cheat sheet"...because understanding the codes to the point of "being able to make your own site" really does only take a few days. Internalizing it all may be another factor.

Virium, do you know any php or anything like that? Javascript? etc

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    grifter81 wrote:
    It's been pretty chilly and rainy here for a few weeks now. Hovering at around 65-70 degrees F
    Fuck you, man. -10 degrees fahrenheit, man. And I don't even have a hat.

Deans on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Deans wrote:
    grifter81 wrote:

Well, I live on a subtropical island. This is pretty damn chilly here. If it's so damn cold there then go somewhere warmer. ;)

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    grifter81 wrote:
    Deans wrote:
    grifter81 wrote:

Well, I live on a subtropical island. This is pretty damn chilly here. If it's so damn cold there then go somewhere warmer. ;)
    To go somewhere else I would have to go outside. I'm trapped :cry:

Great, now my eyes are frozen.

Deans on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    40 degrees here would be cause for celebration and a reason to bust out some shorts. Complaining about mid 60's is just weak :P

Scosglen on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, it's going back and forth between subzero and single digit temperatures all week here in Michigan.

TheBog on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited February 2007
    It looks like they're releasing a batch of the James Bond movies individually on DVD tomorrow. I've been really tempted to pick up the collections that came out before Christmas and get the whole set but I already own 6 or 7 of them and wasn't thrilled about paying for duplicates.

DMAC on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Deans wrote:
    grifter81 wrote:
    Deans wrote:
    grifter81 wrote:

So sad, if I wanted to... I could drive here right now.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Virium, do you know any php or anything like that? Javascript? etc

All my websites are somewhat PHP driven; mainly using "include" and passing variable via GET [information is passed in the URL itself, like: index.php?page=whatever) and rarely by POST (which is invisible).

The most advanced thing I did with PHP involved reading from a database and writing to one. I never bothered to learn PHP but about 4 hours of googling and messing around got something that worked well enough for what I wanted.

Javascript I never learned.

My programming background comes from Application programming (Java), which I did for several years, so I have a good grasp of how everything works, to learn a new language all I have to really do is learn the syntax. Web programming languages are a bit different than application programming, though, but it's all related.

Personally, I think PHP is ugly. I fiddled around with JSP for a bit which was cool, but I lost interest in programming around the time I started doing that.

tl;dr: No.

Virum on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So, I just partitioned my hard drive after many failed attempts, and Im running Linux, but I rushed through the process so fast the last time, Im not 100% that I didn't overwrite my windows side!

Considering it didn't prompt me which os to use at boot, Im a little scared right now.

EDIT: Back on xp safe and sound. Now I just need to get all my shit to work over there. Microsoft free soon enough!!!

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I need links to some art forums that range from good to awesome, and are relatively active. I already know about eatpoo and conceptart.

help please

NightDragon on
  • Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It' like -15 Celsius here. And my little brother took my mittens this morning so my hands froze.
    --

When you've learned the basics of (X)HMTL and css. I suggest you learn php, it really easy (especially if you now a bit of C or Java) and it'll save you a ton of time because you can contstruct a page like this for example:

<---(here reference to a html file that is the menu's at top and stuff)

<----(a function that makes your contents out of simple textfiles or folders full of images)

<----(reference to a other html file)

no_toast on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    @ NightDragon, you can always check cg talk.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I know DMAC posts on drawingboard.org- so thats gotta be good

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Deans wrote:
    grifter81 wrote:
    Deans wrote:
    grifter81 wrote:

It's about...6 degrees F.

SICKS! ....this is about the time where I really GREATLY dislike walking home from school.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Deans wrote:
    grifter81 wrote:
    Deans wrote:
    grifter81 wrote:

It's about...6 degrees F.

SICKS! ....this is about the time where I really GREATLY dislike walking home from school.

Yeah, It's one of these mornings again. The outside temperature at -24 C. The traffic is sure to be horrible on the freeway. o__o'

no_toast on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It has been below zero the past 4 mornings. Plus it just snowed 6 inches or so.

I think I will just call in sick tomorrow.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    ScopsScops Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    How much would be the norm price for a good graphic novel? I've had a look around the internets, and it seems it's generally around $35-$45 dollars (AUD), which is a bit steep for someone who hasn't even gotten their first job yet. Would it be about the same in stores, or are these examples just overpriced? (for the record, I'm looking at books like Watchmen, Sandman, V for Vendetta, Bone etc...)

Scops on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Scops wrote:
    How much would be the norm price for a good graphic novel? I've had a look around the internets, and it seems it's generally around $35-$45 dollars (AUD), which is a bit steep for someone who hasn't even gotten their first job yet. Would it be about the same in stores, or are these examples just overpriced? (for the record, I'm looking at books like Watchmen, Sandman, V for Vendetta, Bone etc...)

Those books are a bit expensive but they are also thicker than your average trade paperback. Watchmen is a fairly lengthy read for a self contained story.

Grifter on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Scops wrote:

I believe there's actually a thread I read yesterday pretty much talking about this exact thing in the Graphic Violence forum.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073841367&start=0

pretty sure they talk about prices and stuff in there too.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    ScopsScops Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You know, I completely forgot about the graphic violence section. :?

Scops on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I picked up Watchmen for 20 bucks I think.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just wanted to share this with the board, it's a guy making a pretty neat piece with just spraypaint.

The art itself is pretty basic and bland, but the techniques he uses are pretty nifty.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/403556/perfect_paint_job/

Alpine on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Alpine wrote:
    Just wanted to share this with the board, it's a guy making a pretty neat piece with just spraypaint.

The art itself is pretty basic and bland, but the techniques he uses are pretty nifty.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/403556/perfect_paint_job/
    That was rad but I couldn't listen to the music for the whole 9 minutes.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Tam wrote:
    rosienski wrote:
    oooOOOooo check this out.... a 6*8 drawing tablet for a mere 40 clams!

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=441265&highlight=wacom

apparently some people prefer these over a wacom , but *shrug* im not sure. the reviews make it seem pretty promising. worth looking into in any case.

I dunno. Looks kinda low quality.

so I ordered this tablet

it's not bad, but then again it is my first tablet so I dont know what to compare it to. everything works like it is supposed to and Im pleased with it. uh. so there.

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Has anybody ever had someone you hadn't seen in a couple of years just *show up* unannounced, at your house? I let him in, and that was the beginning of the most awkward 30 minutes of my life. He just kind of blurted out the most random *personal* stuff...

Example:

Him: Yeah, I've been losin' a lot of weight. Like...20 pounds in 2 months. The doctors don't know why. Tapeworm maybe. But yeah, my brother has picked up drugs and alcohol again, he's doin' pretty bad. 19 and dropped out of his junior year in high school (High school...what the fuck..). but , yeah. I'm a fireman. cool, huh? yeah. My dad was in jail this past year, so was my brother. I have a girlfriend of 1 year blah BLAH BLAHrehrjhrejrhkh blrrrrgaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

me:......O_O....-_-....O_O

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Has anybody ever had someone you hadn't seen in a couple of years just *show up* unannounced, at your house? I let him in, and that was the beginning of the most awkward 30 minutes of my life. He just kind of blurted out the most random *personal* stuff...

Example:

Him: Yeah, I've been losin' a lot of weight. Like...20 pounds in 2 months. The doctors don't know why. Tapeworm maybe. But yeah, my brother has picked up drugs and alcohol again, he's doin' pretty bad. 19 and dropped out of his junior year in high school (High school...what the fuck..). but , yeah. I'm a fireman. cool, huh? yeah. My dad was in jail this past year, so was my brother. I have a girlfriend of 1 year blah BLAH BLAHrehrjhrejrhkh blrrrrgaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

me:......O_O....-_-....O_O

I really should have called first, sorry.

On the upside, I read 300 today. Can't fucking wait for the flick now.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
This discussion has been closed.