BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ooooo neato. My sincerest congratulations to you, ND. SuperHappy.gif

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited February 2007
    Grifter wrote: »
    Yeah, sorry, I was going about 60kph. The roads were wet and I had a passenger on the back of my bike. I tried to stop short but the tires locked and I slid through the intersection doing a 180 degree spin. I wound up stopping on the other side of the road facing the direction from which I was coming. I missed two cars when I was sliding by inches. It's amazing that I'm still alive after that nonsense.

From how I imagined it, that seems very movie-esque.

Does it help that I had a huge smile on my face and the guy on the back of the bike had his arms up in the air and was yelling "WOOOOOO!!" Looking back it was the scariest thing I've ever done on the road. Back then I just had a death wish.

[edit] Also, CONGRATS! :D

Grifter on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Congratulations ND!!!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    PeterAndCompanyPeterAndCompany Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Congrats, ND!! :D You'll love it, I'm sure.

PeterAndCompany on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    thank ya guys :D

oh man, and I just made myself some scallops and asparagus.

Today rocks!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Congratulations, now further enjoy slacking off to a ridiculous degree for the rest of your senior year. I must have missed about a third of my classes.

MagicToaster- you have got mails.

Virum I really want to see your Novel work- I'm a big fan of that format, comics are tons of work and novels alone lack breakdowns of images typically. Illustrated novels like those old Illustrated Classics are pretty much my favorite thing ever.

Antibodies on
    XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Antibodies wrote: »
    Congratulations, now further enjoy slacking off to a ridiculous degree for the rest of your senior year. I must have missed about a third of my classes.

Actually, I took a year off (this academic year), already went to a state college for one year...so I'm either going to be a freshman two years behind the rest of the kids my age, or a sophmore one year behind.

It kind of freaks me out that there's a chance I'll be a freshman when everybody else my age is going into their junior year. D:

5-year Reuinion:
    "I've got a job!"
    "I've got a job!"
    "I've remarried 7 times!"
    "I'm fat!"
    "I'm pregnant!"
    me: "I'm...still...in...school?" .....:C

NightDragon on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    My school is going to kick your schools butt.

Only not.

Because they're both awesome.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Join me...and together we can rule the woooooooooorld!!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Congrats ND! :D

Antibodies - hah, well I hope it doesn't disappoint you too much when I post it. I'm trying my best, but I'm having a hard time with some poses; this is definitely good practice.

Unfortunately my pen ran out of ink.

I best go to the art store and score some more inking utensils.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Join me...and together we can rule the woooooooooorld!!

Eeeeehhhhhxxxcellent!

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Actually, I took a year off (this academic year), already went to a state college for one year...so I'm either going to be a freshman two years behind the rest of the kids my age, or a sophmore one year behind.

It kind of freaks me out that there's a chance I'll be a freshman when everybody else my age is going into their junior year. D:

5-year Reuinion:
    "I've got a job!"
    "I've got a job!"
    "I've remarried 7 times!"
    "I'm fat!"
    "I'm pregnant!"
    me: "I'm...still...in...school?" .....:C

That's like, verbatim the road I'm headed down (state college and all), and the fears I have of my future. I wonder if It's very common for artists to only realize after they've graduated that they want to go to art school.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Scosglen wrote: »
    That's like, verbatim the road I'm headed down (state college and all), and the fears I have of my future. I wonder if It's very common for artists to only realize after they've graduated that they want to go to art school.

Well, for me, I'd known I'd wanted to go to an art school since entering high school. The reason I went to a state school for a year was to get the academics out of the way and save myself $10,000...also, I planned on upping my grades a bit, because my high school grades sucked. I thought that would help me get into art school later down the road if they'd seen that my grades had recently improved.

...unfortunately, certain things happened, and my plan didn't exactly work out as I had planned...so I'm probably not going to have enough credits to be considered a sophmore, if SCAD would accept any of my credits at all.

So, boo on that. I just have to keep reminding myself "but you're still going to art school, finally!!" to keep my chin up. I'm very competitive, and I've always wanted to be the most accomplished when compared to people near my own age...I used to kind of freak out to the point of thinking "oh god I'll never get a job" if I saw anybody like 5 years older than me and significantly better than me (browsing ConceptArt helped to kick my ass a bit). I still kind of have that issue, but I'm a little more realistic about it...the whole "being older than people in my same grade" still bugs me, but I'm just going to try to have to get over it, I guess. :|

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm very competitive, and I've always wanted to be the most accomplished when compared to people near my own age...I used to kind of freak out to the point of thinking "oh god I'll never get a job" if I saw anybody like 5 years older than me and significantly better than me (browsing ConceptArt helped to kick my ass a bit). I still kind of have that issue, but I'm a little more realistic about it...the whole "being older than people in my same grade" still bugs me, but I'm just going to try to have to get over it, I guess. :|

This is probably the biggest issue I have with my self right now. I'm generally really laid back, but art is the only thing I'm really competitive in. I wanted to be the "creme de la creme" in my age own age group, and if I saw someone younger than me with more refined work/potential...well...that was mounds of discouragement for me. But i've kind of gotten over that for the most part, and now I work through it all. although I still sometimes think "Well, what if I don't get a job" or "What if my peers at SVA think i'm not good enough", etc.

but anyway, you shouldn't worry about getting a job or not, Jen. You have heaps of talent, and you'll definitely land one :D

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Get to know your teachers well in art college. You start building your network of contacts there, and it will land you a job almost guaranteed. I'm in a similar boat in that my 5 year reunion is coming up and I'll still be a junior in college.

I still talk to some of my friends from high school... and they are bored to tears with their career and/or field of study. I'm STILL pumped about art and will continue to be for the rest of my life, I'm sure. You just have to remember that your high school peers are no longer your peers really.

Rye on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oi oi, some of you guys are really getting worked up over not being the best in your age group. It's good to motivate yourself to do your absolute best and whatnot, but get too caught up in it and you'll get nothing done at all; I know there have been times where I got so frozen up with fear that I was starting too late down the line that I had art blocks that lasted for weeks.

The best thing you can do is just to keep on truckin' and never look back. So you're not the art prodigy you always wished to be. Keep drawing anyways. The less you worry about how you're gonna get to your ultimate target destination and instead focus more on the artistic problems right in front of you that you can accomplish with the time given, the better off you're going to be.

Yeah it's the same cock and bull you've probably both heard AND given to others, but I just read two anti-morale posts regarding futures almost back-to-back and I felt like it was a much needed reminder.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited February 2007
    Man whatever!

I'm totally, hopelessly insecure about my art compared to others all the time but it's never done anything but made me kick my ass harder to get better. I look at somebody that does something awesome and I'm just like, "man, I should be able to do that. Man, I WILL FUCKING DO THAT JUST WATCH ME ASSHOLES." And then I draw or whatever and then if it's not as good as I was hoping I just throw that shit in the mental garbage, wave my fist in the air and am just like "NEXT TIME, YOU BASTARRD! I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME!"

REPEAT 50000000 times!

AND THAT'S THE STORY OF MY LIFE!

tl;dr: Lil' bit of competitive attitude does a body good.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I should print that out and pin that on my wall or something.

Motivational posters? pshhh, just a picture of bacon's face plzz! ok thx!

I don't really think like that anymore though. Every once in a while i get the "oh shit I'm behind" feeling, or I get the "What if"s, but I know I have to work through all the crap despite discouragement. Hell, what makes me feel better about everything is the noticeable improvements I've made just over the course of a year.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

motivation.gif

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ^ <3<3

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Last few posts are fucking GOLDEN.

Motivation gif is PLATINUM.

gawd, I love you guys. <3<3

NightDragon on
  • Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Congrats ND :3/

Some wise-guy politician decided to combine the three largest universities here and call it a SUPER University. It would have like 40 000 students or something. How big are things round there? I really aren't familiar with what schools are the best in US or Canada other than something like Harvard and shit that you learn from tv series.

no_toast on
  • Options
    ScopsScops Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Congratulations NightDragon! Best of luck to you.

Also, I found a nifty source of free (and legal) music in the most unusual place; the Mercedes Benz website. Apparently they release a new mixed tape every now then, although once a new one comes along you can't get access to previous ones. Not bad for a freebie.

Scops on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Thank you dudes :3

...and NoToast - what the heck does that accomplish? Combining 3 universities, I mean? That seems dumb :<

As far as size goes, from what I've seen personally, it's ranged from a student body of 800 to over 30,000. I went to a state university last year that had 22,000 students. Crazy-big! I didn't like it. I can't imagine what 40,000 would be like.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

motivation.gif

Every office and classroom should have that taking up at least one entire wall.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well if I can add to the good news, earlier I told you all that Im gunna be going to AIB, I got this in the mail while the forum was down

yay-1.jpg

So we got one in SVA, one at SCAD, and me going to AIB. I think PA:AC did pretty well this year for graduating highschoolers (and whatever Nightdragon is)

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Rar.

I freakin hate my philosophy class. The professor is a dumb ex crack head who talks about his motorcycles more than philosophy.

Thankfully this first test is take home, but with all two pages of notes I have (and I'm a prolific note taker and I'm a good student - I've had 100% on all my tests this semester) from the beginning of the semester I'm having a really hard time with the test which are three essay questions - hard to bullshit when I don't know crap about the stuff.

I better go to the university library and spend some quality time with the text book. :(

Virum on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Well if I can add to the good news, earlier I told you all that Im gunna be going to AIB, I got this in the mail while the forum was down

yay-1.jpg

So we got one in SVA, one at SCAD, and me going to AIB. I think PA:AC did pretty well this year for graduating highschoolers (and whatever Nightdragon is)

Oh man, congrats! That's really great!

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Thank you dudes :3

...and NoToast - what the heck does that accomplish? Combining 3 universities, I mean? That seems dumb :<

As far as size goes, from what I've seen personally, it's ranged from a student body of 800 to over 30,000. I went to a state university last year that had 22,000 students. Crazy-big! I didn't like it. I can't imagine what 40,000 would be like.

Yeah, I did a little calculations and found out that 40,000 was a bit overkill:

The three universities (and their current student count):
    University of Arts & Design (Biggest Art University in the Northern Europe) - 1800
    Helsinki School of Economics - 4,400
    Helsinki University of Technology ( Second biggest technology university in Northern Europe ) 15,000

= 21,200 students

Edit: I missread the newspaper =D I thought they'd join also combine HelsinkiU with those making the total over 50,000 :D

no_toast on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    That's not too big by US standards.

In other exciting news, I'm buying a sword and that's exciting. :D

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007

Some of those are pretty massive party schools.

Also, what kind of sword?

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Some of those are pretty massive party schools.

Also, what kind of sword?

http://sbg-sword-store.sword-buyers-guide.com/kanbai.html

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    For those that care to watch, the first round of this year's art tournament just kicked off over at the tournament forum. It's shaping up to be a crazy round.

We are still accepting new entries for the rounds to follow in this thread.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited February 2007
    So I just got back from weekend camp. For those that don't know. I'm in the boat section of the Bermuda military. It was a gale force warning this weekend. Not a good time to be in the boat. In any case, there was a bit of fun involved in the weekend. My section was tasked with being the enemy against the regular infantry. Basically, we hang out in different places, they come and arrest us. We fuck with them. Anyway, most of my section was caught and put into a "holding cell." This is a room in a vacant building. They didn't lock the windows on the cell on a ground floor building. So one of us got out before they realized what had happened. We tried to figure out a couple of other ways to get out. Tried kicking through the dry wall of one wall. Then I saw my mate that had escaped running by. This was just after a Sargent had checked on us and apparently, they forgot the close the door properly. Armed with a distraction, we all bum rushed the door and made a break for it. Most of us got away. Fun times. Hope everyone else's weekend was good.

Grifter on
  • Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Grifter wrote: »
    So I just got back from weekend camp. For those that don't know. I'm in the boat section of the Bermuda military. It was a gale force warning this weekend. Not a good time to be in the boat. In any case, there was a bit of fun involved in the weekend. My section was tasked with being the enemy against the regular infantry. Basically, we hang out in different places, they come and arrest us. We fuck with them. Anyway, most of my section was caught and put into a "holding cell." This is a room in a vacant building. They didn't lock the windows on the cell on a ground floor building. So one of us got out before they realized what had happened. We tried to figure out a couple of other ways to get out. Tried kicking through the dry wall of one wall. Then I saw my mate that had escaped running by. This was just after a Sargent had checked on us and apparently, they forgot the close the door properly. Armed with a distraction, we all bum rushed the door and made a break for it. Most of us got away. Fun times. Hope everyone else's weekend was good.

We did this kinda stuff last week on an Army base. (I'm a Marine) I don't work with boats, but I'm a grunt so we did patrolling and house-clearing in a fake town they have. It was pretty fun, the town was a bunch of abandoned apartment complexes so you could break through the walls and stuff pretty easily. I got shot in the face during one house clearing though, we had Marines posing as insurgents to make it more realistic. I came in the bathroom and made a hard right, and as soon as I realized it there was a 9mm in my face and my section leader (the pretend insurgent) goes "bang." So I fell down dead and my team members had to pull me downstairs and give me pretend medical attention, but there wasn't much... I was shot in the face.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    He should've gone "BOOM! HEADSHOT!" rather than "Bang". I'd have lol'd :P

Sounds like fun.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is the entirety of my generation caught up in the fucking military? Is there no other option for success? Its pretty much the only occupation I hear about online these days. Pretty bleak outlook. Wargames seem like a good time though, I watched G.I. Jane last night.

Antibodies on
    XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is the entirety of my generation caught up in the fucking military? Is there no other option for success? Its pretty much the only occupation I hear about online these days. Pretty bleak outlook. Wargames seem like a good time though, I watched G.I. Jane last night.

Um... I joined for my own reasons. There is a war going on though, it's not that uncommon to have high military numbers.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Those are ridiculously huge. That's...just...ridiculous!

And Greatnation - congrats! That's awesome. :D The AC definately did do pretty well this year, methinks!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Not all are that big though; the school I applied to is 5,000 students (under grad and grad).

They start sending out notifications is 4 days. *crosses fingers*

Virum on
This discussion has been closed.