Options

Holy [CHAT]! My Wii arrived!

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited February 2007
    MaximasXXZ wrote: »
    Grifter wrote: »
    So I just got back from weekend camp. For those that don't know. I'm in the boat section of the Bermuda military. It was a gale force warning this weekend. Not a good time to be in the boat. In any case, there was a bit of fun involved in the weekend. My section was tasked with being the enemy against the regular infantry. Basically, we hang out in different places, they come and arrest us. We fuck with them. Anyway, most of my section was caught and put into a "holding cell." This is a room in a vacant building. They didn't lock the windows on the cell on a ground floor building. So one of us got out before they realized what had happened. We tried to figure out a couple of other ways to get out. Tried kicking through the dry wall of one wall. Then I saw my mate that had escaped running by. This was just after a Sargent had checked on us and apparently, they forgot the close the door properly. Armed with a distraction, we all bum rushed the door and made a break for it. Most of us got away. Fun times. Hope everyone else's weekend was good.

We did this kinda stuff last week on an Army base. (I'm a Marine) I don't work with boats, but I'm a grunt so we did patrolling and house-clearing in a fake town they have. It was pretty fun, the town was a bunch of abandoned apartment complexes so you could break through the walls and stuff pretty easily. I got shot in the face during one house clearing though, we had Marines posing as insurgents to make it more realistic. I came in the bathroom and made a hard right, and as soon as I realized it there was a 9mm in my face and my section leader (the pretend insurgent) goes "bang." So I fell down dead and my team members had to pull me downstairs and give me pretend medical attention, but there wasn't much... I was shot in the face.

Yeah, we're not given weapons as "terrorists." It's not very realistic but, oh well. Our military is conscripted so a lot of these guys aren't very switched on. I personally don't really enjoy military life but if I'm going to be there then I like to make the most of it. I went fairly peacefully when they found me in the building. I just gave them some lip. It wasn't until I got into the cell that I really started to fuck with them. It was pretty funny. We did some riot training after that where my section was the enemy again. We were throwing rocks, concrete blocks, rubber bullets, fire extinguishers, a door, Molotov cocktails. A couple of times they got a little carried away and a couple of them thought they could take us out by themselves. Yeah, they got all of their gear taken away from them very quickly. In any case, it was an alright weekend but I'm bloody tired as all hell.

Grifter on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hope everyone else's weekend was good.

I take some classes in San Juan, on my way there I took some pictures. I'd show you more but they all suck.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ooh, that's a pretty swank picha', MT.

I went to Puerto Rico (old San Juan) last December and it was pretty awesome. There was a guy sitting on a bench making grasshoppers out of palm leaves. I bought one and it rotted in like 2 hours. It was still neat though, I just wish I took a picture :p

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Next time you gotta call me, we'll hang out or surf or something.

EDIT:
    Did this forum get less ugly, or did I get used to it?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited February 2007

EDIT:

Perhaps you got more ugly and by comparison the forum is better looking?

Option two would be that Ramius is continually working to improve the forums for the better.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

EDIT:

Will do! Though I'm not entirely sure when I'll be traveling back to the Rich Port.

and i'd probably manage to kill my self surfing.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think it's not just you MT, there are some small changes, and it's starting to look nicer... easier on the eyes too. Plus we're getting used to it probably :P

And before the topic gets left behind, I'm pretty curious myself as to why people join the army? I mean, I'm not attacking your personal choice or whatever, but what is it that makes you want to go join? Meeting new people? Doing something exciting? Having all living expenses covered? Getting away from parents?

I guess I just answered my own question >_< But still... if it were me, that still wouldn't be incentive enough to go join... there must be something else?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    ScopsScops Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Omigosh! The first thing I've filmed is going to be on national television! People in Australia can tune in on SBS at 5:00pm Mondays. See the zooming on the guy on the right during the intro and outro, when the camera-view is from the left? I did that. :D

Oh yeah, last week I said the program was called School Torque, but it's not. It's got a new name now; the Crew.

Scops on
  • Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    And before the topic gets left behind, I'm pretty curious myself as to why people join the army? I mean, I'm not attacking your personal choice or whatever, but what is it that makes you want to go join? Meeting new people? Doing something exciting? Having all living expenses covered? Getting away from parents?

I guess I just answered my own question >_< But still... if it were me, that still wouldn't be incentive enough to go join... there must be something else?

I'm sure those are all good incentives that people have for joining the Army. But every branch is different, I didn't join the Army; I joined the Marines. The Marine Corps is a shithole, no one's here without some reason--the money sucks, the benefits are negligable, the work is overbaringly difficult sometimes, and you pretty much get yelled at just for being here.

I didn't join for any of those reasons, I joined cause I wanted to experience something horrible. I had grown completely restless of the life I was living, I was so discontent with sitting around doing the everyday thing. I wanted to gain some kind of enlightenment by knowing all the world has to offer, so I figured I'd start with the worst of it while I was young. Everyone goes through pretty bad things, but I wanted to put myself through something completely horrible by going to war and killing and being shot at and watching people killing and being shot at. Not necessarily something horrible, but experience something no one that isn't here would have any true comprehension of.

So... that's why I'm here. But then again I'm kinda weird. ;)

Edit:

And my obsession with Solid Snake and Captain America probably didn't help either. :P

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MaximasXXZ wrote: »

I'm sure those are all good incentives that people have for joining the Army. But every branch is different, I didn't join the Army; I joined the Marines. The Marine Corps is a shithole, no one's here without some reason--the money sucks, the benefits are negligable, the work is overbaringly difficult sometimes, and you pretty much get yelled at just for being here.

I didn't join for any of those reasons, I joined cause I wanted to experience something horrible. I had grown completely restless of the life I was living, I was so discontent with sitting around doing the everyday thing. I wanted to gain some kind of enlightenment by knowing all the world has to offer, so I figured I'd start with the worst of it while I was young. Everyone goes through pretty bad things, but I wanted to put myself through something completely horrible by going to war and killing and being shot at and watching people killing and being shot at. Not necessarily something horrible, but experience something no one that isn't here would have any true comprehension of.

So... that's why I'm here. But then again I'm kinda weird. ;)

Edit:

And my obsession with Solid Snake and Captain America probably didn't help either. :P

I like how the edit unravels all of the seriousness.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I can't help that David Hayter is God.

davidhayterop9.jpg

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Perhaps you got more ugly and by comparison the forum is better looking?

:(

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I totally know what you mean, Max. Regular life just seems so boring. I want some adventure! Unfortunately I'm too lazy to go look for adventure. Watching other people have adventures is fine for now.

God damnit I'm gonna drop out of college eventually if I don't get over my intolerance for bullshit assignments >:[

Deans on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Deans wrote: »
    intolerance for bullshit assignments >:[

I'm pretty bad with that, myself.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    My goodness, Comic Con was amazing. I feel so completely inspired and motivated right now...

...plus I bought some neato stuff.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ND : Michael Jackson Bad? razz.gif

Dangit, Paz hasn't reported yet! This tournament might turn out to be quite a challenge indeed.

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    My niece's birthday is comming up. What do you get a 4 year old girl?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    A 21 year old man can never be a bad gift for a girl.

NEVER.

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Clothes. It's the easiest thing ever. Or like...some kick ass stuffed animal. Whatever it is, she'll like it because she's 4, and 4 year olds like everything.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Clothes. It's the easiest thing ever. Or like...some kick ass stuffed animal. Whatever it is, she'll like it because she's 4, and 4 year olds like everything.

Man, I don't know about the clothes part. I'm not sure if I was as young as four when it happened, but whenever I got a present that ended up being clothes, I'd be all, :(.

I think a stuffed animal would be a great idea, though. I freakin' loved stuffed animals at that age.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hey chat thread. I wanted to post some comics on this board to get feedback, but the link on the rules page re: webcomics is broken (for me, at least). If I have the images included within the post and no link to the website, will I not be raped through the pants?

Also, David Hayter had a small part in Eternal Darkness? that's pretty damned awesome.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    plufim wrote: »
    Hey chat thread. I wanted to post some comics on this board to get feedback, but the link on the rules page re: webcomics is broken (for me, at least). If I have the images included within the post and no link to the website, will I not be raped through the pants?

As long as you're civil and open to critiques, you should be relatively okay.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Sounds fair. Better make the thread then.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Man, I don't know about the clothes part. I'm not sure if I was as young as four when it happened, but whenever I got a present that ended up being clothes, I'd be all, :(.

I think a stuffed animal would be a great idea, though. I freakin' loved stuffed animals at that age.

Yeah, I don't think I'd be too fond of the clothes either (but that's just how I was), but if she's anything like my cousin she'll be like "OMGYAY"

To be safe, get her a stuffed animal. Like a cool dinosaur or something. Because, in my opinion, there's no such thing as a child who doesn't like dinosaurs.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Yeah, I don't think I'd be too fond of the clothes either (but that's just how I was), but if she's anything like my cousin she'll be like "OMGYAY"

To be safe, get her a stuffed animal. Like a cool dinosaur or something. Because, in my opinion, there's no such thing as a child who doesn't like dinosaurs.

That's true! As a kid, I loved dinosaurs... I wasn't sure girls liked them too. I any case, my brother dropped by and told me she loves makeup. I'll get her some pretend make up kit.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

my nephew just turned three, and we got him a whole lot of basic art stuff. A huge pad of paper, some paints, crayons, that sort of thing. Does she have much in the way of that sort of thing?

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    My room mate had a ridiculous profile image on his MySpace, so I turned him into an Oblivion character.

http://photos-853.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v63/181/38/510905970/n510905970_30853_9149.jpg

(linked for ridiculousness)

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • Options
    CatnipCatCatnipCat Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    CantSave.jpg

GRRRRR Photoshop

CatnipCat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2007
    My favorite Photoshop error message is when it tells you that it can't save a file because it's open... in Photoshop.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    DMAC wrote: »
    My favorite Photoshop error message is when it tells you that it can't save a file because it's open... in Photoshop.

hahaha, yes....I got one the other day that said "cannot save due to disk error". Aggravating as hell. Luckily I hadn't done that much work.

In happier news!

Hay....

Guys....

SCAD JUST CALLED AND TOLD ME I'VE BEEN AWARDED A $60,000 SCHOLARSHIP WAWAWAWAWAWA

NightDragon on
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Jeez, when it rains, it pours. Congrats again, ND.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    Google Image SearchGoogle Image Search Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Alright, I figured here would be as good a place to ask. I'm trying to think of an American watercolor artist who painted this one scene of a boy leaning against a log or something on a beach, looking out at the ocean. My first guess would be Winslow Homer, but I'm not seeing it anywhere. It could be someone else, my English teacher junior year in HS did a nice couple weeks lesson on art, and this guy might have been a counterpart to Homer. Any ideas?

Also congrats NightDragon, that's pretty damn awesome.

Google Image Search on
    GalfordSig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'VE BEEN AWARDED A $60,000 SCHOLARSHIP WAWAWAWAWAWA

Hey ND, can I borrow $60,000.00?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Major congrats ND, fuck yes!

Greatnation on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    60,000 big ones? Holy crap! Good game! (as they say in the gaming world :P)

Speaking of random errors, it doesn't get worse than 3ds Max... that program crashes on a regular basis. The crashing I can deal with, I've learnt to save my work every 2 minutes.... but when it crashes and CORRUPTS a file, that makes me a sad panda :(

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The new Blender has a sculpt mode!! SCREW YOU, ZBRUSH, YOU WON'T BE GETTING MY MONEY!

EDIT: here's an example (not mine) http://www.blender.org/uploads/pics/34427da8a8ea5a8e_01.jpg

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Today was kinda cool, we had classes and practice all day with the Javelin weapon system. The system itself is around $400,000 and each missile runs Uncle Sam about $75,000.

n510905970_31216_532.jpg

Military stuff is expensive...

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

D:

NightDragon on
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

D:

Ha ha, you're worth less than an exploding projectile!

Deans on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Haha, it's always weird handling something worth more than most houses.

Kinda like, "...please don't break it." It's really cool though, it's got a huge thermal sensor that you use to target an object, when you get the target you use the D-pad (literally) to center the cross-hairs on it and you press fire. The launch motor sends it barreling out of the launch tube, it ignites shortly after and flies in the sky. After it reaches a certain height the missile comes back down on the top of the target, hence the name Javelin.

I've gotten to handle a lot of cool and sometimes really expensive weapons systems, but this one is probably the most advanced it gets for us ground troops.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
This discussion has been closed.