As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Dawn of War II: Retribution - Buying DLC for the Greater Good

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Riddox wrote: »
    Oh my. Manticores make HWTs extinct. They can't unsetup fast enough to dodge them. Manticore = insta kill on at least one HWT. No more, since once a Manticore's existence is known HWTs should be relegated to capping duty. Although Manticores are actually at their most dangerous to capping squads...

...add to the fact the range for that is nuts, to the point that it possible to lock down points with it from inside your base... I wouldn't be suprised if thier missile barrages start costing resources to fire, like the Mars rounds for Basilisks in DoW1.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Oh my. Manticores make HWTs extinct. They can't unsetup fast enough to dodge them. Manticore = insta kill on at least one HWT. No more, since once a Manticore's existence is known HWTs should be relegated to capping duty. Although Manticores are actually at their most dangerous to capping squads...

...add to the fact the range for that is nuts, to the point that it possible to lock down points with it from inside your base... I wouldn't be suprised if thier missile barrages start costing resources to fire, like the Mars rounds for Basilisks in DoW1.

I wouldnt mind this terribly.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man. I had heard Stormtroopers were bad, but I was surprised at just how bad they seem to be. They don't have much survivability at all and they have a small squad size, so it's hard to keep them at maximum firepower. If they're upgraded with Hotshots they take even more damage and if upgraded with Meltas they have almost no range. Haven't tried their infiltration upgrade yet though.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

I wouldnt mind this terribly.

I would still use them all the bloody time

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Has anyone else gotten the hilarious bug where you can have multiple Autarchs? I just had a game where I was able to field four.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    IG are still pissing me off so much as ork, their ranged outdamages my ranged, their t1 mech makes melee impossible, AND mops the floor with ranged, their hero with his bloody shield thing can 1v1 my warboss at an equal level no problem, and they have turrets everywhere, man fuck those guys. No other race do I feel completely outclassed in every way against. Which wouldn't be so bad except every game I play is 5 IG and me

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    downloading the beta now, thanks Croak..

Pretty excited.

Jimbo on
    404 not found
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anyone else finding units unresponsive when you click on their icons? Like you can select a batch of them, but then when you tell them to move somewhere they just sit still?

subedii on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, I preorder for the beta, pick up the Eldar pack (not a fan fluff wise, but the warlock just looks so badass), and try a 1v1 against the bot.

I kit out my Guardians and Warlock, buy some Banshees, a Ranger, and two Wraithlords. 300 tickets into the game, I find the enemy leader, a Lictor Alpha. My Wrathlords and Rangers take him down easy. Then, from out of nowhere, A FUCKING HIVE TYRANT.

My Warlock ran from the other side of the map to my base being chased the whole way. This thing manages to wipe out both my turrets and everything except my Warlock, who is running around my base to the tune of Benny Hill. I end up making two units of Wraithguard who's combined efforts barely manage to dent the Tyrant, who is at 90% health now. By the time I tier up to 3 to make a D-Cannon, he's at 80%. The D-Cannon manages to fuck him sideways in about 4 shots, at which point the Nids have all the control points and I have 30 tickets left.

Can Nids make Hive Tyrants now, or is this some silly bug?

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    So, I preorder for the beta, pick up the Eldar pack (not a fan fluff wise, but the warlock just looks so badass), and try a 1v1 against the bot.

I kit out my Guardians and Warlock, buy some Banshees, a Ranger, and two Wraithlords. 300 tickets into the game, I find the enemy leader, a Lictor Alpha. My Wrathlords and Rangers take him down easy. Then, from out of nowhere, A FUCKING HIVE TYRANT.

My Warlock ran from the other side of the map to my base being chased the whole way. This thing manages to wipe out both my turrets and everything except my Warlock, who is running around my base to the tune of Benny Hill. I end up making two units of Wraithguard who's combined efforts barely manage to dent the Tyrant, who is at 90% health now. By the time I tier up to 3 to make a D-Cannon, he's at 80%. The D-Cannon manages to fuck him sideways in about 4 shots, at which point the Nids have all the control points and I have 30 tickets left.

What you may have seen was a Swarmlord.
    http://community.dawnofwar2.com/blog-post/multiplayer-unit-profile-tyranid-swarmlord
    linked because it's a big picture:
    http://community.dawnofwar2.com/sites/dawnofwar2.com/files/images/tyranid_swarmlord.jpg

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Evigilant wrote: »

What you may have seen was a Swarmlord.
    http://community.dawnofwar2.com/blog-post/multiplayer-unit-profile-tyranid-swarmlord
    linked because it's a big picture:
    http://community.dawnofwar2.com/sites/dawnofwar2.com/files/images/tyranid_swarmlord.jpg

Okay, that's what is was. Swarm Lords are retarded.

Also, did they nerf the Avatar? I'm pretty sure I just saw a Dreadnought and a unit of Assault Marines take one down.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    IG are still pissing me off so much as ork, their ranged outdamages my ranged, their t1 mech makes melee impossible, AND mops the floor with ranged, their hero with his bloody shield thing can 1v1 my warboss at an equal level no problem, and they have turrets everywhere, man fuck those guys. No other race do I feel completely outclassed in every way against. Which wouldn't be so bad except every game I play is 5 IG and me

Best luck I've had vs.IG as orks is to try and trick the Sentinel to stomp my commander, who can usually take it, while focus firing on it with my shootas to scare it off. Even if the shootas can't do that, Sentinels can't do much damage otherwise until it gets the launcher in T2, and once it's used up it's stomp, I treat it like it's no longer there, and I can focus my melee on thier IG squad(s), which can't quite outrun the Sluggas, especially if the sluggas are waaagh'd or the Guardsmen squad has been supressed by a big shoota.

...Of course, that only works for the first couple of encounters. Catachans are gonna mess you up if they get the briefest of opennings, and an Inquistor can get some wargear that is pretty nasty for you, nevermind the fact that she could have used her base abillity, Hammer of the Witches, to stun your melee without a Sentinel in the first skirmish.

Also, the turrets that they can deploy cannot supress (unless they've changed that since yesterday), so the only thing you have to worry about when taking it down is the damage you'd take if you rush it head on.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Not to be a dick or anything, but most of what you said here is objectively, testably wrong, and I'd be happy to lab it for you to demonstrate this.

Lets start with warboss vs commisar, then we can follow up with Shootas vs Guards.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, playing against a 2 guard team that shoves sentinels up your butt from the get go is pretty rough

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The game client is slow. It's slower to load than the original for me for whatever reason.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's not entirely wrong. Sentinels do trivialize sluggaboyz. I have no idea about Warboss vs Commisar but it would not surprise me: the warboss has always been a terrible duelist without some wargear. If I remember correctly he loses to a large number of melee commanders. Such battles are long and hold little influence over the war anyways.

I could totally believe that unupgraded shootas lose to unupgraded guardsmen in a shootout.

It's a rough match up.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The game client is slow. It's slower to load than the original for me for whatever reason.

I'm actually finding it faster.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Faction balance griping aside, any chance I can get a beta key for a friend?

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Corp wrote:
    It's not entirely wrong. Sentinels do trivialize sluggaboyz.

This bit is true. The rest of it not so much.

I fought a vanilla warboss with a vanilla commisar just yeserday, totally solo fight and it was decisive.
    Corp wrote:
    I could totally believe that unupgraded shootas lose to unupgraded guardsmen in a shootout.

Unupgraded maybe. Which begs the question, "why the fuck aren't your shootas upgraded?"

Upgraded shootas do great dps and unless they've been seriously nerfed would chew through t1 guardsmen like nothing.

Edit: The commisar wasn't full energy when I went into it yesterday so I just redid the test, and the warboss still wins, though not by much.

Edit2: Just tested big shoota vs guardsmen. Was hilarious. They do indeed chew through guardsmen like they're nothing.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I just noticed the fix that my chat settings remain after finishing a game.

NICE! That was getting so very annoying having to unclick profanity filter and enter/leave message.

Evigilant on
  • Options
    RiddoxRiddox Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Had a ridiculously fucking epic FFA just now.

Me and dude won, but only after an epic battle with one of the other teams. First they deployed a Land Raider that they lost. Then, it was terminators + Swarm Lord + huge nid army.

We were screwed up until... Baneblade.

The middle had an epic showdown between my army and the nid one, I got hit with a Tyrannoformation and my guards had to retreat, the manticore, the baneblade and a supporting lascannon team heldo the tyranid swarm and killed the Swarmlord.

I was amazed I won, considering it was the second time I've ever used IG in a non computer match.

Riddox on
    Gamertag: Ridley 8
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    What gear do you guys use for the IG Commanders?
    I haven't fiddled around with the Inquisitor at all, so for the Commissar and Lord General:
    Commissar:
    The sword
    The armor that lets me execute enemy targets
    The scroll that gives health regen based on number of friendly targets near by

Lord General:
    Grenade launcher (early on)
    Heal regen aura
    then all the 3 retinue members
    Melta guns (that attack speed up ability is very nice)

How is the inquisitor? I honestly like to keep my commander near my troops, so that the troops can offer a buffer and help single target damage while the commander wails on it, or to take out nearby dangers so my commander can wail on another thing. How does the inquisitor work in this role?

Evigilant on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

You could try and ask Texwegian or Croak in a PM

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Alegis wrote: »

You could try and ask Texwegian or Croak in a PM

I'll do that, thanks.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I haven't fiddled around with the Inquisitor at all, so for the Commissar and Lord General:
    Commissar:
    The sword

Lord General:
    Heal regen aura

How is the inquisitor? I honestly like to keep my commander near my troops, so that the troops can offer a buffer and help single target damage while the commander wails on it, or to take out nearby dangers so my commander can wail on another thing. How does the inquisitor work in this role?

Inquisitor gets a lot of abilities which supress, immobilize, stun, or generaly f-over any strategy the other guy has in short order.

Starts with Hammer of the Witches, her base ability, which is a single target stun with a short castng time (that's stun, so it will stop Chaos Lords and Hive Tyrants from charging your IG squads) The Crossbow Bolt pistol has a similar power that immoblizes (and I think is a small AoE, so you can stop multiple squads with it.) The second weapon's ability covers an wide area in an AoE Dot and I think debuff that last FOREVER (but thankfully doesn't do much damage) and the Inferno Pistol has Judge/Judgement: Mark something with Judge, and after a while, you can hit it with Judgement for massive damage, and the pistol is her AV weapon to boot.

Can't remember the rest very well, but one of the armors has sutained supress/damaging ability, and most of the accessories are used to buff the Inquisitor in some way (except for the Rosarius, which is a shield).

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok I'm having a huge problem where I can't invite anyone to play or get anyone's invite. It was working earlier but then I went to go play with a friend when he got on and bam no invites...

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    EgonSpenglerEgonSpengler Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://community.dawnofwar2.com/

This is a URL that can replace Croak and Tex. Beta keys now available.

Edited to correct mistake. Head to the community site and sign in. Hit the Beta button in the top bar and you can get a key.

EgonSpengler on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok I'm having a huge problem where I can't invite anyone to play or get anyone's invite. It was working earlier but then I went to go play with a friend when he got on and bam no invites...

It's kinda broken for me, people aren't getting my invites but i can accept other peoples

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sepah and I are wanting to play but we cant find a game using the matchmaking, so does anyone want to in house?

rts on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://community.dawnofwar2.com/

This is a URL that can replace Croak and Tex. Beta keys now available.

Edited to correct mistake. Head to the community site and sign in. Hit the Beta button in the top bar and you can get a key.

I assume it's still limited to people who registered on the official forums before Jan 25th?

edit: never mind, seems I skipped reading over "or register to create an account." - so I guess it's open to everyone!

Alegis on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Commissar:
    The sword

Lord General:
    Heal regen aura

Inquisitor gets a lot of abilities which supress, immobilize, stun, or generaly f-over any strategy the other guy has in short order.

Starts with Hammer of the Witches, her base ability, which is a single target stun with a short castng time (that's stun, so it will stop Chaos Lords and Hive Tyrants from charging your IG squads) The Crossbow Bolt pistol has a similar power that immoblizes (and I think is a small AoE, so you can stop multiple squads with it.) The second weapon's ability covers an wide area in an AoE Dot and I think debuff that last FOREVER (but thankfully doesn't do much damage) and the Inferno Pistol has Judge/Judgement: Mark something with Judge, and after a while, you can hit it with Judgement for massive damage, and the pistol is her AV weapon to boot.

Can't remember the rest very well, but one of the armors has sutained supress/damaging ability, and most of the accessories are used to buff the Inquisitor in some way (except for the Rosarius, which is a shield).

Her first armor (Armor of the Interrogator) is her only tier 1 armor, and it gives her the ability to infiltrate herself or a squad for a decent amount of time. It also recharges super quickly. I cannot recall the name of her tier two and three armor, but the tier two armor gives her the sustained damage and suppression ability, and he tier three gives her Purgatus, which is a massive AoE that deals moderate damage and stuns targets. Her accessories include a Rosarius as mentioned, as well as the "Liber Hereticus" which grants her a massive boost in energy (about 100 more energy if I recall correctly), and her final accessory grants her an ability that gives her temporary invincibility and a speed boost. Her first two accessories are tier 1, and her second is tier 2.

I'm still experimenting with her stuff, but I imagine the Interrogator Armor and the Liber Hereticus might be a pretty useful combination if for nothing else than the ability to infiltrate multiple squads at once.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't know if this is a bug or not, but I upgraded my scouts to snipers, and it costs 175 req to reinforce each unit, and like 50 energy. This doesn't sound right.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah thats a bug.

In other news, goomba winnie the pooh and I played the hell out of this today.

We all enjoyed it, though Goomba was loathe to admit it.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I picture everything that Goomba says as if Liam O'Brien is talking.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It feels fun enough so far - but I dare say some stuff may need looked at. Just had a game (on capital spire, horrid map) where an opposing SM player built one squad of tacs then... nothing. Right up until tier 3 when he rolled out a land raider and terminators, which in turn pushed my allies off the bottom two points. They won by 9 points. Its not like I didn't blow up his gens (and cap them eventually aswell!) several times. In hindsight I should have built a baneblade, but req was just too damned slow because I'd bothered to actually have an army.

altid on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I see a button to Import Stats in the options, how do I export my stats from previous DoW2 games?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Would not complain about the manitcore getting some looking at.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Melee blobs absolutely decimate my attempts at playing IG. Even when I get my shotguns out a blob of WAAAGH ends my life. Obviously I've just started with IG but Tier 1 can be incredibly painful depending on the army I'm fighting. Sometimes I can run my Sentinel in and stomp but even after doing so my regular Guardsmen barely seem to do any damage.

Anyone written up a quick tip list for IG yet?

Accualt on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    IG has Sentinal and Setup teams to deal with melee blob, used in combination it is as powerful as Heretic Suicide & Havocs or Scout Shotgun & Devastator.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A Land Raider with a Tech Marine is pretty much the pinacle of GG's. That thing is never going down.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966