As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Dawn of War II: Retribution - Buying DLC for the Greater Good

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Will this thread experience a renaissance, will I get to enjoy the heights of melodramatic bitching?

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    For melee blobs and in general I am finding catachan with their shotguns to really hold well. Thrown in a sentential being repaired I can pretty much crack whatever I run into. I think one thing I have noticed a lot about guard is if you get your armor you can basically make it unkillable with repair. Also I hate the damn lord general's turrets. Things hurt a ton if he gets them down.

Basically I have seen guard be really good at taking ground and just building up a damn trench line you have to try and break. Which with take an hold works well.

Also playing with my chaos sorc for the first time today, once again I love cultist worship and having two bloodcrushers for my enemy to run right into. Good times.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, you really apreciate how much of a difference maker Sentinels are for IG T1 when the other team refuses to build any. :P

Was playing Chaos, and it was beeyoutiful; Cultists supressing and knocking down IG squads while Khorne-marked CSMs run them down, Noise Marines disabling Catachans (too ignorant to melee), Stormtroopers and Lord Generals, and Bloodletters chasing down Chimeras, Manticores and a Leman Russ with impunity.

Only thing that gave me pause was a Heavy Weapon Squad, and since the match was at Sicarus Plateau... no problems flanking there (there was also some Ogrens late-game, but they retreated as soon as my SM allies should up, so no idea how that would have gone.)

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really hate aggressive Apothocaries as the Tech Marine. I have to spam Turrets BEHIND my own HWTs just to prevent them from dying.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • Options
    CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I think the Inquisitors Holy Brazier needs looking at.

It appears to for all intents and purposes be a better version of the warlocks immolator blade.

The cooldown on the ability needs to be drastically increaced, or the ability needs to have signifianctly lower duration and damage.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think I'm ready to pass some judgments.

IG tier 1 is horrifyingly powerful.

It hinges on the Sentinel. I imagine this unit is getting a bashing far and wide over forums, but I will throw in my two cents.

I don't really understand how the Sentinel got in as it did. It breaks the system and rules of every other manpower based unit.

It is supposed to be the manpower melee counter unit for IG. It gets to move faster than any other unit (for kiting, presumably), tough armor, and a huge AoE stomp 4 second stun with huge knockback. For 330 manpower.

Let us look at the other race equivalents:
    -Scout squads, at 210, get speed, and piddly damage. But they can kite!
    With 75 req and 15 power this squad can actually do its job with a small cone knockback and a 1-2 second suppression.

-Banshees are anti-melee, but can only really stop a blob of melee from hitting guardians with a 100/25 upgrade to get their warshout.

-Orks don't really have an anti-melee. The closest thing is the suppression burst from the big-shoota. It is the only ability that actually causes the squad to do less damage on use, but does suppress at reasonable range and for a decent duration. Big shootas cost 75/20. To a lesser extent such things are less needed for orks because they generally win melees with their sluggas.

-Heretics can offer anti-melee right off the bat at the low low price of themselves. With a grenade launcher though they can serve some dual purposes at 75/20 with a damage + knockback attack.

-Termagaunts, same way, need an upgrade to get damage and snare. 75/15.

There's a theme here, and it is that all of these units require power to do their job: To effectively take on multiple melee squads and effectively control them. The sentinel requires no power and by far has the finest ability for this job. It combines a huge AoE with a knockback and disgustingly long stun. It is a natural melee counter with it's speed and completely unique ability to fire while backing up. That's a huge deal.

Melee is completely useless against any guard player with any ability. To make matters worse, the sentinel also offers huge advantages in any fight against a ranged unit early game. It is very difficult to burst down without advanced weapons. It can run up and crush enemy cover while delivering a battle turning stun.

There are other issues with the IG, but the least they could do it make the sentinel stun an ability unlocked through an upgrade with power cost. I would also look at the stun; it's way to long and honestly misplaced on such a unit.

A sentinel can easily do it's job simply by kiting with it's incredible speed. The space marines have countered melee for a long time just with simple kiting and speed.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There are other issues with the IG, but the least they could do it make the sentinel stun an ability unlocked through an upgrade with power cost. I would also look at the stun; it's way to long and honestly misplaced on such a unit.

A sentinel can easily do it's job simply by kiting with it's incredible speed. The space marines have countered melee for a long time just with simple kiting and speed.

I'm not so sure. The ig have zero melee units outside of the 2 heroes and ogryns. They kind of need something to stop melee.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I think the Inquisitors Holy Brazier needs looking at.

It appears to for all intents and purposes be a better version of the warlocks immolator blade.

The cooldown on the ability needs to be drastically increaced, or the ability needs to have signifianctly lower duration and damage.

The abilities are actually pretty different in function. The Warlock's ability has a massive range compared to the Holy Brazier's ability and deals much heavier damage (Hormagaunt practically melt while in Immolate), plus can be combined with Destructor to anhilate high-member squads like Heretics. Additionally, Immolate is near instantaneous where as the Holy Brazier's ability has a (quick) charge time with an obvious animation. As far as I can tell the Holy Brazier is more about area denial where as the Warlock's Immolator is about melting faces.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The brazier melts faces pretty hard.

By the time you've moved out of its ginormous AOE you've suffered similar damage if not more than what a a player with good micro suffers dodging the comparatively small immolate.

Immolate is far more avoidable.

Also I'm maining IG now so don't take this as sour grapes.
    Shepard wrote:
    Banshees are anti-melee, but can only really stop a blob of melee from hitting guardians with a 100/20 upgrade to get their warshout.

Ehh. They're more melee with suppression which can theoretically serve as anti melee in a pinch.

Heretics, true anti melee, destroy shees in a manner which is just painful given the units disparity in cost.

RE: The Sentinal. I agree with the powercost for the stomp Shep. I'd even go one step further and remove the units ability to crush cover, which I think is a good idea both for balance, and fluff/sense wise. Its a recon unit not a battering ram.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I'm not so sure. The ig have zero melee units outside of the 2 heroes and ogryns. They kind of need something to stop melee.

I would like to lab it, but I have a feeling that the Jungle Fighters can hold their own against upgraded Banshees.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Catachans come with a better version of the heretic grenade barrage. They also get scout shotgun knockback shortly after.

They IG also have heavy weapon teams just like anyone else. That's just tier one.

You don't need melee to counter melee. Marines are plenty proof of that.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just feel like the design for the Sentinel is counter-intuitive. You think of it as being a fast mobile harassment and decapping unit, but right now it is being very effectively used to charge the enemy and use an incredibly wide radius and long duration stun to give an already powerful ranged tier 1 army plenty of time to shoot the enemy with no retaliation.

And because the radius on it is so wide and the sentinel is so fast, it is very difficult to micro away from.

rts on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think Sheps idea on bringing a powercost in for the stomp is a good one.

I've been watching and that stomp does some pretty significant damage against squads with high numbers of units.

Catachans man. They're both anti melee via abilities, and do a solid job at melee themselves. They're a rather expensive unit powerwise, but well worth it.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also, I tried checking the Relic Online Tech Support forum, and there is no mention of any matchmaking problems with the Retribution beta.

Are the match making problems we are experiencing a problem of network connectivity ala the old NAT errors, or just population problems, or are there actual problems that have been reported and are being worked on?

Myself and another forumer spent 5-10 minutes trying to find a 2v2 match, but when solo queued for 2v2, I found a match within 2 minutes. And when we setup custom games, we dont have many latency issues at all.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I believe it is an issue with the matchmaking.

I have not had a single connection error while connecting to a custom game to anyone.

I have not had to open my ports or do anything fancy. The actual connections seem perfectly fine.

The only issue we've had is that people don't always receive invites. Someone people seem completely immune to getting invitations, but can host games and invite people, or join public games with no issue.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hey so is there any way to see what you're unlocking rank wise?

I miss those little popups.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh yeah, we've also been experiencing issues with custom games that have only human players not awarding rank points.

I still have no idea what I need to do to port my old data over, I had close to 400 head to head games logged, and however many 2v2 and 3v3 games. I would rather not lose all of that if possible.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just had a look at the top players on the leaderboard for 3v3... wow. I'm going to hazard a guess that having a 10 digit skill rating with a mere one game played is not intended, right?

altid on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Haha yes, Sepah and I just destroyed someone who claimed we had to be hacking, and that he was a valve employee and was going to hack our steam accounts and ban us.

rts on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Haha yes, Sepah and I just destroyed someone who claimed we had to be hacking, and that he was a valve employee and was going to hack our steam accounts and ban us.

Always fun.

SM is my hardest matchup as IG surprisingly.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Croak:

The default volume is really high and I like turning it down so that I can hear other players via vent however, every time I change the audio settings in the beta the graphics get all messed up.

The models disappear and lighting effects go berserk (what do I mean by that; white spots appear and disappear on the screen blocking the view of anything behind it).

validating the files and rebooting the game fixes it but damned if I want to turn down the volume. I have reproduced the bug 2 times now.

Kruite on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    cakemikz wrote: »

Always fun.

SM is my hardest matchup as IG surprisingly.

Is that because tacs shit on your sentinels and little puny guardsmen

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't really like the sentinel because it's a t1 light vehicle

Which runs around faster than anything anyone has at that point and will stomp you away and keep running if you try to catch it

Either give the sent a power req for the stomp or remove it entirely. It would still be a good unit without the stun.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They can't just remove the sentinel, seeing as it's the best AV IG has with the rocket upgrades barring t3. The stomp is ridonk though.

Vic_Hazard on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Remove the STOMP entirely you git

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tac marines put the hurt on the sentinel pretty hard. When I know I'm fighting gaurd (90% of the time it seems) I pick the Tech Marine and go tacs right away to deal with the sentinel. Then I give my scouts infiltrate and grenades to deal with the inevitable heavy weapons team. It seems to work most of the time.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gonna download this tonight. Eldar or SM? Decisions, Decisions.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Like gerbil said, a ranged unit with a little durability will hurt a sentinal bad.

Actually on that note, even light ranged infrantry would be able to put the hurt on one if it couldn't crush cover. I think removing its ability to crush cover would be a bigger step towards balancing it then people think.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Like gerbil said, a ranged unit with a little durability will hurt a sentinal bad.

Actually on that note, even light ranged infrantry would be able to put the hurt on one if it couldn't crush cover. I think removing its ability to crush cover would be a bigger step towards balancing it then people think.

I can see how, because in my experince, half the reason that tacs and, to a lesser extent, CSMs are such a problem for IG is because they can get stomped, get back up, recover from stun, and continue shooting without being in too serious trouble because of it. If lighter ranged squads could go through the whole thing with green or even yellow cover to protect them, they would be able to respond similarly.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RiddoxRiddox Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bahahaha Gamereplays is priceless. Manticores are no big deal man. They're so easy to kill even when in the other guy's base, just L2P!!!.

They're so easy to dodge too, even though setup teams aren't fast enough to dodge it the game sometimes deems your team worthy of life so they get a lucky knockdown and survive so it's not bullshit at all!

Yup, it's not like you can buy Catachans in T1 for guaranteed retreats at best and complete sodomy at worst by combining manticores and imbarrage. Nope.

Granted, most mobile armies can dodge that shit pretty well, not every squad is mobile. The mere fact that you've got a T3 nuke call in every minute or so alone warrants some suspicion.

It blows my mind because this isn't a science, there are not 20 possible variables for why this something is kinda lame, this isn't the type of circumstance where increasing the unit's build time 5 seconds will fundamentally change the game. This is DoW2, Relic's DoW2, let us take a short summary of DoW2 history, let's not complicate it, just a small example of what was going on at the time:

Vanilla: Nids horribly broken. Cheap, free reinforcing unit that is invulnerable to range and melee that can also cap points. Just a tiny bit suspicious.

1.5 Imma start balance from scratch again patch: Sluggas with Nobs in T1 that give them detection, health of upwards to near 1000, the ability to break suppression and banshee levels of DPS, and best gen bashers in that time period. Derp.

CR Expansion: Terminators that were quintuple buffed - lowered cost (never cost power!), super synergy with new unit that made them fast and capable of retreat (essentially), DPS increased by a huge margin, armor type massively buffed, increased health - angry kodiak bears that dealt about 2000 DPS to anything with a gigantic AOE special attack that did like 200 damage while moving at hormagaunt speeds thanks to a black guy in a funny hat - NO BIG DEAL

Also let's bring back tac spam which we had been nerfing since Vanilla... WHY NOT?

Sometimes... sometimes it isn't that hard, man. Not that it can't be more complex that that in this game, but this isn't new. This is trend that we've all seen before. We know this dance!

Riddox on
    Gamertag: Ridley 8
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The brazier melts faces pretty hard.

By the time you've moved out of its ginormous AOE you've suffered similar damage if not more than what a a player with good micro suffers dodging the comparatively small immolate.

Immolate is far more avoidable.

Also I'm maining IG now so don't take this as sour grapes.

I understand. I was more so trying to point out differences with the particular abilities since (I use both commanders and find myself using the abilities much differently). But I'm not particularly good and I do agree that Holy Pyre might need to be looked at. I find it tends to be a much better choice than the Crossbow which at least warrants investigation.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does no one remember the last time a light vehicle couldn't crush cover? The Wartrukk was nearly impossible to manuever through most maps.

Sentinels are definitely amazing anti-melee units, but when I see an enemy player using them as a melee unit to tie up my ranged troops with stomp, punishing them for it with a set up team or just ranged focus fire has always resulted in dead sentinels. They are surprisingly fragile.

Sepah on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I will agree the sentinel's stomp is just ugh. If I am able to get the sentential with my chaos lord and some csm and it goes down, my normal blob of cultist are going to eat the ig. If not, well its retreat time. I think the ability needs to be an upgrade that cost power and maybe tone down the aoe range a bit. I don't see removing it though because really without it, IG caught outside of a turret set up can be chewed through crazy fast.

Especially if you have noise marines and cultist to suppress everything else. Sadly I can't say much for any of the other races because I tend to just stick to chaos.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i just had a wonderful game. wherein orks got stomped by IG. It were beautiful.

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I will agree the sentinel's stomp is just ugh. If I am able to get the sentential with my chaos lord and some csm and it goes down, my normal blob of cultist are going to eat the ig. If not, well its retreat time. I think the ability needs to be an upgrade that cost power and maybe tone down the aoe range a bit. I don't see removing it though because really without it, IG caught outside of a turret set up can be chewed through crazy fast.

Especially if you have noise marines and cultist to suppress everything else. Sadly I can't say much for any of the other races because I tend to just stick to chaos.

Yeah there really isn't any use for the sentinel with out the aoe attack. If they were gonna change the stomp then they would need to completely retool the sentinel as it's pathetically weak and does piss damage.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    IG are a lot of fun to play. I love their "Well, fuck... guess I'll do it." attitude because they're basically just a bunch of regular dudes against a universe filled with just full on murder.

Also, the new voices are off-putting. Not badly done or anything, just so different than what I've been hearing in DoW2 for the past however long. It will take getting used to.

As for the rampant bitching in this thread, as if someone had come into someone else's yard and stomped on your proverbial toy, I imagine I will continue to ignore it. One, because it's beta and things change, two, I'm chiefly a single player and co-op with my friends kind of guy and not a ranked multiplayer guy.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Yeah there really isn't any use for the sentinel with out the aoe attack. If they were gonna change the stomp then they would need to completely retool the sentinel as it's pathetically weak and does piss damage.

It's situational. It's good for capping points where you know enemy units will not be, but it's not the end all, be all IG unit. You really don't want to field those when playing against SM. I'd rather go for an extra Guardsmen squad, and push out an HWT as fast as possible.

Sentinels are surprisingly fragile.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Okay, I figured it out, Private Games with all Human players dont give Experience points, but Public Games do.

Also, got my Ranks to transfer over, had to play 1 match of ranked in Chaos Rising, then Load up Retribution and it ported everything over.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anyone up for a friendly game? I'm not particularly good, but wouldn't mind playing something other than the AI.

Steam name is Frolic, The Handsome Rake

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    RiddoxRiddox Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The autarch is awesome. Probably my favorite of the new units. She's speed 8 and leaps over cover and stuff! Her leaps remind me of the banshees of yore... Such sweetness. Don't know what to say about her balance wise but she's heaps of fun to have around.

:^:

About the voice work, I read that it should be possible to mod the old voices in after much work by a modder. I think it'll probably be done at some point.

There's already a mod that allows you to use the pirate hat boss in multi.

Riddox on
    Gamertag: Ridley 8