Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD 4E] Dark Sun: Desert Flight (Group 2 Game Thread)

245

Posts

  • GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Despite her studies of the desert's dangers, a sandstorm like this is totally alien to Zahra. It's speed, magnitude... And there is something else, too. It seems like a ripple and shimmer around and within the storm, something almost definitely separate from the rising haze of the day's heat. She's seen it before, this warp on the world's weave, amidst stone and flame.

    "Sorcery!" she breathes, still more awed than afraid.

    Then the shards begin to hit, and it is all Zahra can to to see and to react, dodging first one and then another before the wall of sand breaks over the caravan.
    Acrobatics: 1d20 + 12 → [6,12] = (18)
    Nature: 1d20 + 2 → [16,2] = (18)

    Can I also make a History check to see if Zahra has ever read of something like this happening before? If so:
    History: 1d20 + 9 → [13,9] = (22)

    Gideon on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Chaos erupts all around, as massive shards of obsidian cut a swath through the rear section of the caravan. Ghires roars in pain as the burning sands sting his flesh, but the mul can't even hear himself over the deafening howl of the sandstorm. He struggles to even maintain his footing, but does his best to endure.
    Athletics Check: 15
    Endurance Check: 21 *

    * Again, I've included a +1 Item Bonus from the Desert Clothing. If you don't feel like that bonus is applicable, just consider my roll a 20.

    milk ducks on
  • MaledicteMaledicte Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Even the sudden deafening blasts couldn't completely dampen the guttural sound bellowing out of Keothi, as the obsidian pummeled him. He pushed against the wind and sand in order to try and maintain his balance. This was not like any other sandstorm he'd ever experienced, or even heard tales of before. His usual certainty waivered. "What IS this??"
    Endurance: 1d20+3 21

    Athletics: 1d20+7 19

    Maledicte on
    Tea, Earl Grey, hot.
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    History (Zahra): It’s difficult to focus on history while scrambling to stay alive, but you are reminded of some stories you once read about ancient storms and disappearing caravans. You wish you could remember details, but they’re just not coming to you.

    Everyone: Explosions of dust and sand erupt all around you as wood shatters, bone breaks, and the tarps are torn to shreds. But you do your best to dodge the obsidian shards that continue to tear apart the caravan and its passengers, and manage to make it through the worst of it.

    As the seconds wear on the storm grows worse and worse, until you can barely see more than a few inches in front of your face. It is nearly impossible to breath now, and as the screams of your fellow passengers are consumed by the roar of the storm, all fades to black.

    Ichtaca loses one healing surge and 10 HP.

    You awaken to a strange feeling beneath your fingers. It’s not sand or rocks, but grass and leaves. Sunlight peeks through the canopies of more trees than you’ve ever seen in your life, trees that surround you on all sides. As you stand, you see plants around you as well, the kind of greenery that most people only hear about in stories or see in royal gardens.

    But the wonder of your surroundings is cut short by the growl of a pack of creatures that look something like hyenas, but larger, and gray instead of brown or red. Whatever they are, their intent is obvious.

    Roll Initiative!

    Denada on
  • MaledicteMaledicte Registered User
    edited February 2011
    As Keothi slowly focused his vision, he instantly knew he was in paradise. "I'm dead. The vestiges have finally laid claim to my life and taken me home... I didn't think home would be so...painful!" The throbbing in his body became more and more prominent as his consciousness slowly returned to him. He sat up much to the protest of his aching limbs and noticed he was not alone...and definitely alive.

    The first person he scanned for was Ghires- the only person who's name he knew. He saw Ghires a short distance away, looking about how Keothi felt. His eyes fell upon more haggard people whose faces he recognized from the caravan.

    The reunion was short-lived, as a severe growl pierced the silence. Keothi quickly stood, slightly staggered, and turned to face a vicious looking pack of animals he'd never seen before. His adrenaline immediately kicked in as the pain vanished from his thoughts. He'd have more time to focus on that later...if he can survive...
    Initiative: 1d20+1 11

    Maledicte on
    Tea, Earl Grey, hot.
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Nnnnggg..." Ichtaca mumbles in her daze. "... Silt Sea... sand... everywhere... *cough*" She sits up as the pain from her wounds and the sand in her throat bring her back to full consciousness. Marveling at her lush surroundings she almost fails to notice the slavering animals eyeing her and the people around her.
    Initiative: 1d20+2 9

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The sky shifted and swirled, turning grey to green, then back again. Sand blasted the mul's eyes, burning them shut. Chaos held him in its arms a moment, then flung him to the dirt. His face dragged hard against craggy stones hidden just beneath the surface of the sand, and all the world turned black.

    He awoke moments later in a silent green world; beams of crisp, clean light filtered down from the canopy above, defiantly cutting through the shadows. He lifted his head from the grass and tried to shake himself free from the dream he'd seemingly fallen into. Then he heard the growls, and they seemed real enough.

    Scrambling to his feet, Ghires wrestled his carrikal free from its sheath; the jagged mekillot jaws that made up its terrifying twin heads glistened with dew and death. The sturdy, knotted length of wood that made up its handle felt real enough, as well.

    This ought to be fun.

    milk ducks on
  • GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As she jolts into consciousness, all of Zahra's instincts for danger scream at her. There is no time for amazement or curiousity at her uncanny surroundings; a part of her much older than the desire to know and understand is now in charge.

    Survival is all that is on her mind as she rolls quickly away from the growls that grow around her and reaches for her crossbow.
    Initiative: 1d20+5 19

    Gideon on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Round 1

    Though no other passengers can be seen around you, a trail of wreckage leads up the ridge and into the distance. Thick forest surrounds you on the other three sides. But your location is a secondary concern. Right now, you have a pack of hungry animals to contend with, and the sound of more howling from somewhere in the forest.
    rearsectionwreck-round1.jpg
    :arrow:Ghires - HP 37/37 - AC 19; F 14, R 13, W 14 - AP 1 - HS 13/13 - Ammo: 1
    @I18; Status: Normal.
    Zahra - HP 29/29 - AC 17; F 13, R 18, W 13 - AP 1 - HS 6/7 - Ammo: 20
    @C12; Status: Normal.
    --
    Pack Alpha 1 - HP 38/38 - AC 16; F 14, R 15, W 13
    @F9; Status: Normal.
    Packmate 1 2 3 - HP 1/1 - AC 15; F 12, R 14, W 13
    @--; Status: Minion.
    Packmate 4 5 6 - HP 1/1 - AC 15; F 12, R 14, W 13
    @--; Status: Minion.
    --
    Keothi - HP 32/32 - AC 14; F 17, R 15, W 13 - AP 1 - HS 8/8 - Ammo: 10(x3)
    @J9; Status: Normal.
    Ichtaca - HP 19/29 - AC 14; F 12, R 14, W 17 - AP 1 - HS 6/7 - Ammo: 20
    @H14; Status: Normal.

    Denada on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Move Action!: Ghires moves from his Starting Position at I-18 toward G-14 along the route (I-18 [SP], I-17 [1], I-16 [2], H-15 [3], G-15 [4], G-14 [5]).

    Standard Action!: Converted to an additional Move Action - Ghires moves from his new position at G-14 toward F-10, adjacent to enemy A1 along the route (G-14 [SP], F-13 [1], F-12 [2], F-11 [3], F-10 [4]).

    Action Point!: Ghires uses an Action Point to gain an extra attack (in this case, Brash Strike).

    TL/DR: Ghires double-moves from I-18 to F-10, and burns an Action Point to Brash Strike enemy A1.

    Attack Roll!: +22 Vs. AC *

    Ghires lands his attack! It deals ...

    [strike]First Attack Roll: 10 (re-rolled - Brutal 2)[/strike]
    [strike]Second Attack Roll: 9 (re-rolled - Brutal 2)[/strike]
    [strike]Third Attack Roll: 10 (re-rolled - Brutal 2)[/strike]
    Fourth Attack Roll: 16 damage! *

    * I didn't know about Dark Sun's "Inherent Bonuses", but the guys from the Discussion Thread clued me in and said I should have done 17 damage instead of 16, and my Attack Roll should have been +23 vs AC, because I forgot to figure that stuff in.

    Enemy A1 is Marked.

    As an effect of Brash Strike, Ghires now grants Combat Advantage to enemy A1 until the start of his next turn.

    Ghires springs into action, eyes flashing with violence. He hurtles into battle like a comet, eager to spill their mongrel blood. Matching their ferocity with all the savagery he can summon from his soul, the mul thrashes into the first beast he sees with everything he's got, completely ignoring his defenses for the moment.

    That oughta get their attention!

    milk ducks on
  • GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Springing up from her crouch amidst the wreckage of a cart, Zahra levels her crossbow at the largest creature and yells to its Mul opponent "Get! Down!" Before he can look around, Zahra's bolt is buried in its flank and she is nowhere to be seen.

    Zahra sprints to the most protected clump of shrubbery and dives in, holding perfectly still as she peers out through leaves more lush than anything she has ever before seen. What are these beasts?
    Standard Action:
    Move 2 spaces to E12.
    Deft Strike vs AC on A1: 1d20+9+2 19 Hit! Damage: 1d6+5+2d6 9
    Minor Action:
    Yell! Things!
    Move Action:
    Move 4 squares to I13.
    Being a Cunning Sneak who has cover, Zahra can make a Stealth check to become hidden at the end of her move action. So:
    Stealth: 1d20+10 17
    Free Action:
    Monster Knowledge Check:
    Nature on Hyenawolves: 1d20+2 17

    Gideon on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nature (Zahra): Although they don't look like any you've ever seen, these must be wolves. Their thick, gray fur and powerful bodies are a far cry from the gaunt, ruddy-brown wolves of the desert, but they are definitely wolves.

    The lead wolf yelps in pain at the bite of Ghires' axe, but nonetheless remains in melee with him. Snarling as he bites back at Ghires, his attack is deflected. His packmates rush in to swarm the mul, bringing him to the ground, but not doing any serious damage.

    The remaining two wolves, having lost sight of Zahra, decide to sink their fangs into Ichtaca, which they do with reckless abandon.

    A1-
    Standard: Bite vs. Ghires (18 vs. AC) Miss!

    P1-
    Move: Jump to E11.
    Standard: Bite vs. Ghires (26 vs. AC) Crit! 3 damage, and Ghires is knocked prone.

    P2-
    Move: Jump to G11.
    Standard: Bite vs. Ghires (24 vs. AC) Hit! 6 damage.

    P3-
    Move: E7 to E9.
    Standard: Bite vs. Ghires (11 vs. AC) Miss!

    P4-
    Move: G7 to G9.
    Standard: Bite vs. Ghires (15 vs. AC) Miss!

    P5-
    Standard: Charge to H15 vs. Ichtaca (20 vs. AC) Hit! 3 damage.

    P6-
    Move: A17 to F14.
    Standard: Predator's Strafe:
    -P6 shifts to H13.
    -P6 uses Bite vs. Ichtaca (20 vs. AC) Hit! 3 damage.

    rearsectionwreck-round1b.jpg
    Ghires - HP 28/37 - AC 19; F 14, R 13, W 14 - AP 0 - HS 13/13 - Ammo: 1
    @F10; Status: Prone.
    Zahra - HP 29/29 - AC 17; F 13, R 18, W 13 - AP 1 - HS 6/7 - Ammo: 19
    @I13; Status: Hidden.
    --
    Pack Alpha 1 - HP 12/38 - AC 16; F 14, R 15, W 13
    @F9; Status: Bloodied. Marked (G).
    Packmate 1 2 3 - HP 1/1 - AC 15; F 12, R 14, W 13
    @--; Status: Minion.
    Packmate 4 5 6 - HP 1/1 - AC 15; F 12, R 14, W 13
    @--; Status: Minion.
    --
    :arrow:Keothi - HP 32/32 - AC 14; F 17, R 15, W 13 - AP 1 - HS 8/8 - Ammo: 10(3)
    @J9; Status: Normal.
    Ichtaca - HP 13/29 - AC 14; F 12, R 14, W 17 - AP 1 - HS 6/7 - Ammo: 20
    @H14; Status: Bloodied.

    Denada on
  • MaledicteMaledicte Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Move Action: Keothi moves from his Starting Position at J-9 toward H-12 along the route (I-10 [1], I-11 [2], H-12 [3]).

    Standard Action: Basic Melee Attack with Spike Gauntlet against Enemy P6

    Melee Basic Attack vs AC: 1d20+10 29 1d6+5 9

    +2 to 1d20 for flanking bonus

    Keothi instinctively rushes towards the injured half-elf, feeling the weight of his gauntlet in his massive hands. It was as if the weapon itself was aching to defend her. To defend all of them. He shot a quick glance at Ghires, and saw that he was handling himself admirably. "Thank goodness the Mul can fight!" he thought. "Let's see what I can bring to this party!"

    Maledicte on
    Tea, Earl Grey, hot.
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    With the dog in front of her brutalized by the half-giant, Ichtaca walks towards the larger melee. "These dogs are huge! There are packs of wild dogs in the Ghost City, but they weren't looking to fight with anything still living. These... things don't seem to share that same mentality." She glares towards what seems to be the leader of the pack and two of the nearby dogs yip and fall down, still. The larger dog in the middle shudders and looks confused, but still stands, barely. "Although, they don't seem to be fighting us all that hard." The lone animal behind Ichtaca growls at her and she turns and glares at it as it falls to the ground. "Noisome beasts."
    First time doing 4e combat, feel free to check my stuff please. :)

    Move: Shift to G13
    Minor: Blather
    Standard: Memory Hole on F8, 2 power points
    Memory Hole vs Will (A1,P3,P4): 1d20+5 19 1d20+5 18 1d20+5 14 2d6+4 10

    Free: Quip
    Action Point: Memory Hole on P5
    Memory Hole vs Will (P5): 1d20+5 13 1d6+4 6

    P3: Dead
    P4: Dead
    P5: Dead
    A1: 10 HP, cannot see Ichtaca

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thoroughly outmatched and unnerved, the remaining wolves flee into the woods, leaving you in sudden silence. Wreckage is strewn about in a rough trail leading up a ridge, where the trees start to thin out. Thick jungle extends as far as you can see in every other direction.

    These wolves were easily frightened, but you heard many more of them lurking in the shadows beneath the trees. You'll need to move somewhere, or risk being caught by a larger pack.

    Well done! You can now spend healing surges, search the area, etc.

    Denada on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Well maybe they were closer to the dogs I've seen than I thought," Ichtaca remarks as the animals flee into the trees. She stops and takes a good look at the vegetation around them. "We're certainly not in the desert anymore... Is... are we near Gulg?! It doesn't look like Gulg..." Gesturing at the people with her, "Do any of you know how we got here? Last I recall I was dodging giant boulders from the sky."
    2 surges: 27/29, 4/7 remain

    While waiting on responses she scans around the wreckage for any sign of Prok, her packs, or anything of interest (shiny!).

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Zahra emerges soundlessly from the vegetation -- maybe from the same bush she disappeared into.

    "Pretty lucky for me that I'm stranded with two fierce warriors and a powerful adept of the Way." It is clear that Zahra does not believe in luck.

    "I know they didn't look much like it but these are definitely wolves. And this group is far too small to be a proper pack. Sure I know you lot could handle them but I don't want to get in fights if we don't have to. Don't suppose any of you can hide?"

    With that she strides off, ostensibly to examine the carcasses, but actually to find some answers to more burning questions.
    So many questions, and Zahra must find out the answers. Why are we in a forest? Where is everyone else? What the hell is this place? Is magic involved in getting us here or sustaining this environment? Why are we in a forest? WHERE ARE WE?

    Becuase I'm typing on my phone at work, it'll take a little while to do all the skill checks and edit them in. Bear with me.

    Arcana on WHAT IS HAPPENING: 1d20+9 22
    History on SERIOUSLY WHAT THE HELL: 1d20+9 20
    Nature on WHAT IS THIS PLACE: 1d20+2 21
    Perception on AND WHERE DID EVERYONE ELSE GO: 1d20+7 22

    Done. Zahra's going to be annoying with her constant skill checks but it is such a big part of the character... Anyway, nice rolls this time

    Gideon on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ghires lifted himself from the dew-slick grass to his feet; layers of scale-woven bone clanked together as the weight of his armour shifted. He held his mighty carrikal by the handle, allowing its massive twin heads to rest upon the blood-soaked earth, and cast a sullen glare toward Zahra.

    "Come what may, girl; Ghires N'Qazi does not hide."
    Ghires burns a Healing Surge, regaining 9 HP. He's now at 37/37.

    milk ducks on
  • MaledicteMaledicte Registered User
    edited February 2011
    "Hiding has its survival benefits," Keothi slowly confessed "but it's a bit hard to hide the likes of me. In any case, I've been able to avoid trouble in the past. It looks like you are adept at this skill as well, small one. Do you have a name, or is that hidden as well?" Keothi smiled the warmest smile allowed to a half-giant. If he was going to make it to Tyr and complete his mission, he needed cooperation...and trust.

    His efforts with the dark small female seemed to be proven as efforts in futility as she strode away. Perhaps the he might have more luck with the half-elf. Keothi turned his attention to her and asked "You spoke of...dogs... and a Ghost City. Have you been in a land like this before?"

    Maledicte on
    Tea, Earl Grey, hot.
  • GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    WHOOPS

    Gideon on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Not exactly like this, no, but similar. It reminds me of the forests around Gulg, but those aren't as lush as this one seems to be..." She wanders about the wreckage, flipping over the occasional piece of detritus. "As for the Ghost City, it's not nearly as exciting as it sounds. That's what they call the... undesirable... area outside of Raam where the more unsavory tradesmen have gathered. I used to have to go there all the time to get animal hides; for making parchment, you understand? There were always packs of wild dogs roaming in the alleys there, likely living off the castoffs from the butcher shops and similar trades. I made the mistake of feeding one once and after that it always seemed to be able to find me whenever I was shopping there. He would nip at my heels and growl and whine and the only way to be rid of him was to get him some food. Annoing beast. Although he did alert me to the presence of some hard luck types that were paying a little too much attention to me on a couple of occasions that I was then able to avoid. So I guess it wasn't really a mistake in the first place, eh?"

    Ichtaca rambles on about life in Ghost City until she's interrupted or something happens.

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Zahra looks up from the soil she's started to run through her hands.

    "Ha! Nice to meet you Ghires. It's always good to know there's someone around wants to get themself killed instead of me."

    Wiping her hands on her jerkin, she barely notices the half-giant's friendly overtures as she studies one of the wolf carcasses. She frowns, rolls it over and frowns more deeply. Soon she is combing through the fur on its neck and then its head.

    "Not a single contusion no haemorrhage and they're still warm and but... look at them. No pulse that I can locate either but maybe..." Zahra turns suddenly to the half-elf, cutting off her reminiscences. "Never seen an adept use the Way like that. Not up close anyway. Can you manipulate objects too or just... others' minds?"

    Something of the rambling story seeps in. "Wait. Parchment? You write? You read?"

    Gideon on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sorcerers, he thought, Such a girl courts with heresy?

    milk ducks on
  • MaledicteMaledicte Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Keothi politely listened to the half-elf describe in scattered detail the remnants of her past, while making sure to keep an ear on the other two travellers. His attention was completely consumed when he heard the dark haired female speak of the Way.

    Is it possible, sire? Is she of your chosen?

    Something deep in the recesses of Keothi's soul stirred then, and he feared that the answer to his internal inquiry would not be easy to digest.

    Instinctively, Keothi measured the faces of those around him, looking for signs that his inner struggles might show on his face. Luckily, both Ghires and the dark haired female were focused entirely on the aimless half-elf.

    Perhaps this detour will prove most useful to the Alliance after all...

    Maledicte on
    Tea, Earl Grey, hot.
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ichtaca stops browsing through the rubble and turns to Zahra, "You haven't seen very many practitioners then, have you? Things like that are commonplace at the House of the Mind, although, typically not so destructive. There are adepts there that can do things with your mind without you even being aware of it. I remember getting in an argument with Master Tlacti over... something... and I'm pretty sure he won. Or, at least, since I can't recall the outcome, that's what I assume..." She trails off. "Err, anyway, yes, reading, of course I can, it's what I *do*," she seems a little put aback as she pats the case at her waist. "Why do you ask?" She cocks her head inquisitively.

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Arcana, Nature, History (Zahra): Although you don't detect any magic now, you're sure that that storm was not natural. You had always dismissed stories of disappearing caravans as fiction, but now you're not so sure. You are definitely not anywhere near Balic, but as for how you got here, right now that is a question you can't answer. And as for where "here" is, all you can say for sure is that you're in a jungle, the air is hot and humid, and you're probably near the top of a mountain. And, as if things weren't strange enough already, clouds are coming in. It's probably going to rain soon.

    Perception (Zahra): You don't see anyone besides the four of you in your immediate vicinity. It's possible that some of the dark lumps in the wreckage up the ridge are people, but you'd have to go have a look to be sure.

    Passive Perception (Ichtaca): You do manage to find your belongings. Unfortunately, you also find Prok. The crodlu is dead, crushed by the weight of half a wagon on top of it.

    Denada on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Having driven the alpha mongrel back into its shadowy green world, the mul's attention turned to the caravan wreckage, and to the fate of his crodlu, Hadj. The provisions he'd purchased in Balic had been stored within its leather packs: all his food, kits, and equipment. Lacking proper supplies, his situation would suddenly get a lot worse.

    The elvish woman continued to prattle on, weaving a tapestry of her sins for the others. Ghires tried his best not to listen. I am burdened well enough by the weight of my troubles already, he thought, lifting a stack of wood to examine the carcass crushed beneath. To consort with heretics is too great a risk.

    Still, he considered, given the situation, I may not have a choice.

    milk ducks on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    While waiting for Zahra to respond, Ichtaca gathers up her scattered belongings, unhooks the remainder from the corpse of her short-lived companion, and shoulders her pack.

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Enough," the mul cut in, tossing aside a great wooden panel.

    "Plenty of time for that later. Right now ..." he paused a moment as he rose to his feet, "the only thing that matters is figuring out where we are. It looks as though a storm's coming, and I don't want to be caught outside."

    Ghires raised his carrikal, pointing its jagged heads toward the primary site of the wreckage. "Start looking for supplies. Anything we can use."

    This caravan's a carcass, he thought, grinning that familiar black smile; And I intend to pick its bones clean.

    milk ducks on
  • GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Subtle. I'm on GMT+10 here, so I'm often at work while you folks are doing your evening posting. Anyway I'm on my lunch break so here goes:

    "I hear reading can be dangerous if the wrong folks see you can do it. Templars especially. Don't suppose they think the Way's much of a threat though. Probably keep you on a pretty short rope too. Hm."

    Zahra grins and turns back away from the others, following the trail of debris and then stopping to look, brow furrowed, at the sky. When Ghires proposes to move on, she whirls around.

    "Go? Go!? You're right a storm's coming but do you have any idea what kind of storm? It's gonna be a bloody rainstorm not like the rain we get which is hardly precipitation at all just fog and dew and such but an actual RAINstorm! Do you know how long it's been since the cities saw something like this? And you want to get away from it? Augh..."

    She grimaces at nothing and then turns away, speaking much more quietly this time.

    "Anyway perhaps you noticed that the storm that left us here was not natural. It's possible that we won't be able to get back to the desert or the Flight by ordinary means. An abnatural problem probably has an abnatural solution. You can walk or run from the rain but I know you won't get back to Balic that way. You saw the storm I know but look at the sun. It's not where it should be."

    "You can gather supplies or run for shelter if you want but I'm going to see if any more of the caravan came here too." Zahra gestures to some indistinct shapes up past the debris. "Maybe they will know."

    With that, she strides off.

    Gideon on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Suit yourself, girl."

    milk ducks on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Apologies sent in PM. Wasn't intended that way.

    "Rope? What? I get paid to read and write, there are no ropes involved." Ichtaca shakes her head in confusion and resumes gathering her belongings.

    After Zahra's outburst, Ichtaca looks up at the sky and acknowledges the darkening clouds. "So much excitement over water. You'll not be so pleased once you're soaked to the bone. While novel, it gets old fast." With Zahra stalking off towards the west, Ichtaca looks at the two remaining people, "I would have asked her, but seems like that would have been a waste of breath; can one of you climb that tree and let me know what you see? I might be able to figure out where we are. A place to shelter would be useful too... I'll keep looking for supplies down here."
    The indicated tree is DC 15 athletics to climb, unless Denada changes that cause you're heavier. ;)

    Perception: 1d20+0 12
    Didn't say I'd be *good* at looking for supplies. :)

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Don't worry! I'm very seldom offended and was not offended then. Thanks for the PM.

    As she leaves the group, Zahra's pace slows and she tries to keep herself hidden by as many shadows and as much vegetation as possible. Crouched behind some shrubbery, she strains her eyes and ears.
    Stealth on indistinct shapes: 1d20+10 20
    Perception on those same shapes: 1d20+7 19

    I'm not sure if my desert camoflauge would still help in the forest. If it does, the stealth check would be 21.

    Gideon on
  • MaledicteMaledicte Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Despite enduring unimaginable strife during his 3-decade long tenure as a slave, Keothi never could quite make himself used to conflict, especially between those he considered to be on the same team. Part of Keothi's ability to maintain friendships amongst his ranks was to stay neutral, stay calm, and to try and make peace whenever possible. Zahra leaving the immediate group meant that for now, the tension had waned, and Keothi could again try and find some answers to the immediate questions of "Where are we?", "How'd we get here?", "Are these people friends or allies?", and "How do we get back so I can complete my mission?".
    With that in mind, Keothi turned his attention to the question posed to him by the optimistic half-elf: "Highly doubtful that I could climb that tree without breaking it," Keothi said as he smiled. "Is there anything else I could help you with...er... I don't think you've actually ever told me your name. Mine's Keothi."

    With that Keothi, adjusted his pack and extended his hand to the half-elf in greeting.

    Maledicte on
    Tea, Earl Grey, hot.
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Fair enough," the mul agreed. "I'll have a look, then."

    If the canopy is less than 25 feet high:
    Ghires opens his mind to the world around him, perceiving the otherwise unseen: the soft sway of the leaves overhead resonate within him; the dew-laden grass underfoot soaks through to his spirit; images of the world around him become crisp and clear, even as he closes his eyes. His mind catches hold of the wind and travels up above the canopy, revealing more of this strange, green world ...

    Passive Perception: 14
    Perception Check: 7 (ouch)

    If the canopy is more than 25 feet high:
    Ghires attempts to scale the tree for a better look around ...

    Athletics Check: 16
    Passive Perception: 14
    Perception Check: 7 (ouch)

    milk ducks on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Perception (Zahra): The shapes are indeed bodies. Some of the bodies are humanoid, others are animals. None of them are moving.

    Perception (Ghires):
    From your mental vantage point above the trees, you can see a very unfamiliar landscape. You're on a mountain range that extends toward the west. To the south is a valley, then another mountain range. Thick jungle covers everything.

    Although the dense jungle is remarkable, it's more striking when seen with what lies beyond it to the north and east: the Sea of Silt, stretching as far as you can see.

    Denada on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ghires snaps out of his trance and gestures toward the northeast. "The Sea of Silt lies in that direction; it's unmistakable. To the south," he lowered his hand, indicating this time with a nod of his head, "lies a valley. We may find shelter there, but with the storm rolling in, it may not be wise to take the low ground."

    milk ducks on
  • GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Zahra approaches the bodies, trying to determine who they are and how they died. Does she recognise them from the caravan?
    Perception on bodies: 1d20+7 25
    Heal on bodies: 1d20+2 20

    How am I rolling this well? Wow.

    Gideon on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Perception, Heal (Zahra): As you suspected, the bodies are those of the people in the caravan. The causes of death are varied. Some of them were killed when hit by an obsidian shard. Others inhaled too much sand. Still others were crushed by the wreckage. Among the dead you see the dwarf that had caught your attention earlier. An obsidian spike, about two feet long, juts out from his chest. His inix is nearby as well, or at least pieces of it.

    As you scan the wreckage and count the bodies, it becomes clear that you four are the only ones left alive. And with that, the rain begins.

    Denada on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thunderdous clouds pool overhead, like blots of oil upon an open canvas, and spill down upon what's left of Hae's caravan. Ghires pulls up the hood of his cloak, abandoning any hope he'd had of salvaging supplies from the wreckage. Raising his voice above the rains, the mul calls out to Zahra, "Enough, girl! Let's go!"

    Anywhere but here.

    milk ducks on
Sign In or Register to comment.