As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

COD: Black Ops: ______ is literally the ______ Call of Duty ever

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I find it funny that someone who's getting upset about people disconnecting (not just quitting, m'bad) and fucking up his 10.0 W/L ratio is also wondering if "Call of Duty players are seriously more self-entitled than WoW-players".

tee-motherfuckin'-hee

[ed] @Xaquin: I think there are some adapters that you can get, but from my understanding they introduce some processing-time lag into the equation so it makes it kind of useless.

what about this fellow?

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/53851/X-Scorch-360-Cross-Platform-Controller-Released

anyone have any experience with this?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ducks, I ain't no hater of yours. You're a good team player. I watched that Rad Dom game we played and I was stunned at how much and how well you threw yourself at the objective for the win. I wish there were more players out there like that: pubby Dom would be more fun.

Now that's out of the way I have to ask: why do you care so much?

For sure, W/L and K/D are nice stats to show off. I like mine where they are but wish they were higher. But with a W/L like 10 and a K/D taht must be wonderful, do you really need to prove yourself? I'm 2.00 and 1.70 respectively, but I know those stats don't tell the whole story. I'm a team player who plays pubby Dom, and plays it for the win (when not with friends). That fucks up my W/L and my K/D something chronic. All thsoe stats mean nothing though: you're the player you are, whatever those numbers say. Good, bad, campy, aggressive, team-based, lone wolf, whatever.

I don't want to hammer this too hard, but the point is: we all have bullshit losses. You know what your real W/L is and so do the people you play with. Beyond that the only people looking at your stats are XBL randoms who are a)massively impressed, or b)idiots who you don't need to prove yourself to anyway.

Edit: AllurBase: lawl

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok, I'm double posting because this is important enough IMO to bring up:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2738-Playing-Like-a-Designer-Part-2

The relevant stuff starts at 2:00, but the real meat is at 3:15 and a couple of minutes beyond

First Order Optimal Strategies. Replace "noob tube" with "ragequit" and it explains why ragequitting is there. Sore losers or no, ragequitting does the same thing: give worse players a chance to have a fun game (in some lobby somewhere).

There's even a shoutout to spawnrape in that video (and ragequitting itself).

Dashboarding sucks though.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    is milk ducks an unironic MGL Black Ops Master Operator or something?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This prestige, I've decided to give the M60 a break and try out the Stoner. I like the Stoner, but it's just missing something. IDK, maybe it...

Needs...More...BULLETS!!!

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I find it funny that someone who's getting upset about people disconnecting (not just quitting, m'bad) and fucking up his 10.0 W/L ratio is also wondering if "Call of Duty players are seriously more self-entitled than WoW-players".

tee-motherfuckin'-hee

[ed] @Xaquin: I think there are some adapters that you can get, but from my understanding they introduce some processing-time lag into the equation so it makes it kind of useless.

what about this fellow?

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/53851/X-Scorch-360-Cross-Platform-Controller-Released

I don't have experience with it, but from what I've looked into you're likely never going to end up with a great mouse on the xbox (unless MS added mouse support).

The problem is that you're mapping a mouse movement -- which is inherently a move x-amount and then stop -- to an analog stick movement -- which is keep moving x-direction at y-speed based on deflection from the zero-point, and then only stop once the stick returns to 0. In order to compensate for that, you need to include some additional calculations that take your mouse movement and convert it into some combination of analog stick movements, which is where the input lag gets introduced.

Edit: Though that product does seem to have a good amount of tweaking you can do to the sensitivity, so who knows, it could work well.

Daenris on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Daenris wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

tee-motherfuckin'-hee

what about this fellow?

I don't have experience with it, but from what I've looked into you're likely never going to end up with a great mouse on the xbox (unless MS added mouse support).

The problem is that you're mapping a mouse movement -- which is inherently a move x-amount and then stop -- to an analog stick movement -- which is keep moving x-direction at y-speed based on deflection from the zero-point, and then only stop once the stick returns to 0. In order to compensate for that, you need to include some additional calculations that take your mouse movement and convert it into some combination of analog stick movements, which is where the input lag gets introduced.

Edit: Though that product does seem to have a good amount of tweaking you can do to the sensitivity, so who knows, it could work well.

I just can't decide.

Having played with a controller for a good pit during the Halo 2 days, I came to the realization that I am just not good with a controller.

Buying one of these is like $80 and I'd hate for it to not work well enough

Maybe I'll just skip out on Black-Ops altogether

thanks all =)

Xaquin on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finally the Spas is the gun that I've got most kills with! But the ak74u is still my 'favourite'. Damn.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I need to get the melee kill two jerks in five seconds thing for steady aim pro. I've been trying for days. Any advice?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Whenever you can get a backstab backstab and then hope there's someone else nearby.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    dinoarusdinoarus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's so much easier to get if someone throws up a blackbird.

also the ballistic knife lets you knife a bit faster, which can help.

dinoarus on
    Steam/XBL: OGSTudbone
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    dinoarus wrote: »
    It's so much easier to get if someone throws up a blackbird.

also the ballistic knife lets you knife a bit faster, which can help.

Yeah, I usually get it using the ballistic knife, too. And objective game modes are your friend. Flank around the enemy and hope you come up behind a couple of people with their backs to you in overwatch position.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    This prestige, I've decided to give the M60 a break and try out the Stoner. I like the Stoner, but it's just missing something. IDK, maybe it...

Needs...More...BULLETS!!!

Awesome video. The only sad part was seeing an RC car streak pop up instead of a Spy Plane. :)

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Domhnall wrote: »
    Whenever you can get a backstab backstab and then hope there's someone else nearby.

Wow, thanks for awesome advice.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Best way to get backstab is use a 74u. Since it counts as a knife/headshot/multikill everytime you kill someone with the gun.

Tridus1x on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    some videos that are shitty and you'll probably be bored if you attempt to watch them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dPAG3zr81w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJNbc6SyTqI

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    haha you still got shards of glory in that second clip even though you just bounced off the window.

also, wheres the clip where you snipe me 4 times in a row before I nicked your toe with a banked tomahawk.

dinoarus on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    lol if it's anything like these ones we'll see it in a week and a half.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    milk ducks wrote: »
    I can't seriously believe people are defending "rage quitting the other team into a loss" as a "legitimate, in-game tactic".

Don't worry.

We can't seriosuly believe that sitting in a corner and stabbing 50 people in the back the second they spawn is something you consider a "legitimate, in-game tactic"

It's like, congrats. You figured out the best way to break the game. Awesome.

Now go sit in the corner with the l33tquikscoperz and the guys who post Machinma videos on where to fire your mortar noob toobs.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That "play like a designer" video was pretty interesting.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    MNC Dover wrote: »

*snip*

Awesome video. The only sad part was seeing an RC car streak pop up instead of a Spy Plane. :)

I was with a PA group, so I really didn't see the need. We always had a SP or a BB up. And if I wasn't trying for FJpro, I would have probably been running HL. There's just something hilarious about sending out a wave or 3 or 4 cars one after the other.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yea I wouldn't stay in a game where I was repeatedly spawn killed, call me a bad person or whatever but I'm not a masochist. I cant believe anyone would use a tactic like that and be astonished that folks "rage quit". The sense of entitlement is amazing. These folks should suffer through 10 frustrating minutes of being spawn killed to preserve your totally meaningless video game stats. Yea I know I know they should have been better at the game and it wouldn't happen and the rape victim shouldn't walk down the alley late at night(Is it hyperbole thursday yet?)

I think there's a difference between a spawn trap and the game breaking spawn killing shown in those videos. Like you said before it's not your fault the spawns suck and I could see this being a funny thing to pull off now and then but to take umbrage that folks are quitting out or dashboarding in these games is just a bridge to far.

jonny439 on
  • Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, I hope you guys can bear with me if this sounds naive, but I have decided that playing any objective based mode without any desire to even try and win or help your team, is truly bush league. This weekend really pushed me over the edge on this.

Started Friday night when we lost a game of Domination by 5 points and the score leader for our team went 38 and 10 with no captures and no defends. I thought it was a fluke because everyone at least squats the first capture. No, dude literally just sat on the side of the stairs in Havana near C and shot people across the map. WTF? Didn’t even try to shoot the legs of guys crawling to B which would have at least been a defend.

Then this morning I was playing and literally saw man after man after man go into the meat grinder on B in the Villa without once even looking around. I shot over them to signal but we lost literally 20 guys in a row while the other team just watched us run in. I don’t even understand it. They were pubbies so I have to cut them some slack, but at some point someone ran into that death alley more than once maybe even twice.

Another guy just sat at the back of Launch and shot down choppers and planes and then must have died or just run into the line of fire before doing it again. He never once even approached an objective. He ended the round with one capture, zero kills.

Like Herm Edwards said, “You play to win the game”. Seriously, if you don’t want to win or even try then just quit and play TDM. I don’t get it. Why???

Spicy_Rev on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Because you generally get a longer game in, for instance, domination. Which generally means more people to kill. I bet 38-10 dude wouldn't have gotten to 38 kills if you were only playing a TDM to 7500 points. So they play it because it lasts longer, plus with an objective game you sort of have a "captive" enemy. You know that if they're going to even pretend to play the game then they've got to come to A or B or C, so you just camp out around whatever point and attempt to farm kills as people run at point X.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I can't seriously believe people are defending "rage quitting the other team into a loss" as a "legitimate, in-game tactic".

Don't worry.

We can't seriosuly believe that sitting in a corner and stabbing 50 people in the back the second they spawn is something you consider a "legitimate, in-game tactic"

Now go sit in the corner with the l33tquikscoperz and the guys who post Machinma videos on where to fire your mortar noob toobs.

Brutle is actually right.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011

[edit:] I can't seriously believe people are defending "rage quitting the other team into a loss" as a "legitimate, in-game tactic".

If we're gonna micromanage the rules and how people play the game, then why not stop just before rage quitting?

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think I've come to the conclusion that the most annoying bullshit perk challenge may be FJ's "throw back 5 enemy frags". There's just so much horseshit that isn't in any way in your control. First, you have to have someone throw a grenade at you. Second, it has to land close enough to you that you can get to it before it explodes. Third, you have to hope that it wasn't cooked very much. And forth, you have to hope that it wasn't semtex. Every other challenge is at least partially something you can make happen. This just feels like complete luck.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    ConchobharConchobhar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, since ive been a bit over Blops (Mostly due to PS3 not getting the damn maps yet) Ive resurrected the old game-whithin-a-game that I used to play when I was getting sick of MW2.

The rules are simple:

Have someone who doesn't know much about the game, to pick your class while you are out of the room (In my case, brother, but could be roomate, parent, sibling, friend etc.)

You are not allowed to look at the class before the game starts, change anything, just load it as soon as you spawn and play.

Undoubtably you will end up with the most horribly optimised class possible, and classes you've never used before. The challenge is really just a test of your adaptability. Since you'll no doubt end up with some horrible combinations, the 'win' is just to do well, and go positive.

Give it a go, if you need a change, and don't really have a hard on about your stats.

Conchobhar on
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think I've come to the conclusion that the most annoying bullshit perk challenge may be FJ's "throw back 5 enemy frags". There's just so much horseshit that isn't in any way in your control. First, you have to have someone throw a grenade at you. Second, it has to land close enough to you that you can get to it before it explodes. Third, you have to hope that it wasn't cooked very much. And forth, you have to hope that it wasn't semtex. Every other challenge is at least partially something you can make happen. This just feels like complete luck.

This.

At least if you pick it up, even if you don't have time to toss it anywhere, it still counts as a throwback. Unfortunately, if the grenade goes off while you're in the middle of that, it'll still kill you through the Flak Jacket. I run that perk almost exclusively, and sometimes I never get the Pro version unlocked before it's time to prestige. This is one of those challenges that, when someone you know hops in your party and joins the other team, it's worth it to at least ask if the dude's willing to toss a frag or two your way.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Sirialis wrote: »

Don't worry.

Yep, there are a lot of people happy to talk shit about it, but when I asked for suggestions as to how they might fix it in the next game, nobody had anything to say. I stand by my previous statement: next time you earn a Chopper Gunner, wait 3-4 seconds before you fire at any new red boxes that pop up, because gunning someone down before they've had a chance to move or act makes you a self-entitled fuckhead.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Nuketown sabotage/domination makes it super easy to get.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I need to get the melee kill two jerks in five seconds thing for steady aim pro. I've been trying for days. Any advice?

Havana on Domination is a pretty good way to manage this one, just be prepared to die a lot in the process. I'd recommend using the Ballistic Knife and charging either the room nearest the fountain or the bar after tossing a flashbang or two.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Nuketown sabotage/domination makes it super easy to get.

Can Nuketown even still happen on Domination? We haven't had it come up in over 2 months. I've heard they changed it to Free-For-All and maybe Team Tactical only, but I haven't heard anything confirmed. Last I checked, the Wiki didn't mention it.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

This.

At least if you pick it up, even if you don't have time to toss it anywhere, it still counts as a throwback. Unfortunately, if the grenade goes off while you're in the middle of that, it'll still kill you through the Flak Jacket. I run that perk almost exclusively, and sometimes I never get the Pro version unlocked before it's time to prestige. This is one of those challenges that, when someone you know hops in your party and joins the other team, it's worth it to at least ask if the dude's willing to toss a frag or two your way.

I only need one more, but if I'm still searching for it the next I run into some PA peeps I'm definitely going to ask if they'll help me cheese it.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Make sure you get rid of your lethal grenade beforehand to make it easier.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Mechanical wrote: »

Havana on Domination is a pretty good way to manage this one, just be prepared to die a lot in the process. I'd recommend using the Ballistic Knife and charging either the room nearest the fountain or the bar after tossing a flashbang or two.

Yep, Flashbangs are great for that. I usually go for it on maps like Radiation; in the underground tunnel where B is on Domination, it's pretty confined, and usually pretty action-packed. If you pop a flash in that corridor, you'll get pretty much everyone. Then all you have to do is rush in and knife.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Don't worry.

Yep, there are a lot of people happy to talk shit about it, but when I asked for suggestions as to how they might fix it in the next game, nobody had anything to say. I stand by my previous statement: next time you earn a Chopper Gunner, wait 3-4 seconds before you fire at any new red boxes that pop up, because gunning someone down before they've had a chance to move or act makes you a self-entitled fuckhead.

Doesn't the game already have a built in delay before your red box shows up after you spawn? And besides, 30 seconds of chopper fire into a spawn is a whole fuck load different than sitting still stabbing guys as they spawn for 10 minutes.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yep, a render delay was added for CGs, Valks and Hinds mid-December to try to give people a chance to avoid getting spawnkilled. But if you're playing Demo and just shooting at the exact same spot for 40 seconds I guess you wouldn't notice.

dinoarus on
  • Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Don't worry.

People quit matches or dashboard all the time when chopper gunners are called in but I don't make posts on the boards stating there should be a punishment for leaving a game when a chopper gunner is called in because it hurts my KD ratio, that would make me a self-entitled fuckhead.

I'm not saying you are a bad person for doing what you do I said earlier it would be funny to do every now and then I just thought it was funny that you couldn't understand why folks would rage quit those games like they should be happy you ruined their gaming experience because hey it's you. Also it's funny that you thought it was worse for them to dashboard those games than to stab people in the back as they spawn for 10 minutes.

Sorry I'm not a game developer so I don't know what the "fix" is for this problem or shitty spawns but call me crazy maybe not abusing the spawns would reduce the likelihood of people rage quitting?

jonny439 on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Spicy_Rev wrote: »
    I thought it was a fluke because everyone at least squats the first capture.

playin it wrong. The real way to Dom is to have 1 player cap close point and everyone else go b. If you can run through close cap to get to B do that to boost the time it takes. Caping close super quick might add 1 point, where capping B puts you in the definitive lead, and puts them on the offense.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say