Options

Los Angeles, [Chat]vember 2019

1565758596062»

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Daaaamn. Why is it so hard to hire programmers. Fucking hell people, isn't there a recession on? It's an indoor job with no heavy lifting that pays good fucking money and which doesn't require more than a bachelors degree.

Sure it can be stressful, sometimes requiring long hours, but you are sitting there programming. It beats the fuck out of working retail or food service and pays 5x-10x as much.

But no, when people actually do bother to apply they are fucking brain dead simps who seem to have caught, killed and eaten whoever actually did all the things on their resume because it sure as hell wasn't them.
    My degree is in Poli Sci, but I do know a fair amount of Java and Python. Where is this job?

Redmond. And we need C# and SQL people.
    ...I could learn those. I take it that my lack of an appropriate degree or virtually any applicable experience makes that moot, however?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    japan wrote: »
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    I've wanted to move to the UK for awhile now.

There is absolutely no way I could do that, even if I had several times the greatest sum of money I've ever saved.

What's the obstacle?

I'm just curious. Everything I know about moving to the UK I've heard from people moving within the Commonwealth. I'm vaguely aware that it's more difficult from the States but I don't know specifics.

As far as I can tell moving between Commonwealth countries is pretty much the easiest thing ever.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Booo. The toilet in my new apartment is leaking. Its an easy fix and doesn't bother me because I won't be fully moved for another week, but I can't believe no-one spotted it during the exit inspection >_<

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Elldren wrote: »

It's hilarious to me that countries like Japan do what they do and behave the way they do and people here on the forums rage and seethe about American immigration policy like we are the devil himself.

We're so far from being bad on immigration. We might not be super, it's debatable whether we're good, but we are not bad.

"But everyone else is worse!" isn't really a defense, Jeeps.

"We're doing very well compared to the lot" is a perfectly fine defense.
    But again, the American attitude is that we're better than the rest of the world, and with that outlook your rebuttal doesn't really work.

You would have a point if I had ever said anything like that. But i didn't. So you don't.
    Fine. I'm saying that. There is no reason why we should not aspire to be the top of the list in everything good. Being middle of the road is hardly praiseworthy.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    evilbob wrote: »

There is absolutely no way I could do that, even if I had several times the greatest sum of money I've ever saved.

What's the obstacle?

I'm just curious. Everything I know about moving to the UK I've heard from people moving within the Commonwealth. I'm vaguely aware that it's more difficult from the States but I don't know specifics.

As far as I can tell moving between Commonwealth countries is pretty much the easiest thing ever.

Between EU countries is easier.

japan on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

What's the obstacle?

You must simultaneously box Uncle Sam to leave America and a resurrected Winston Churchill to gain Commonwealth citizenship.

Quid on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Daaaamn. Why is it so hard to hire programmers. Fucking hell people, isn't there a recession on? It's an indoor job with no heavy lifting that pays good fucking money and which doesn't require more than a bachelors degree.

Sure it can be stressful, sometimes requiring long hours, but you are sitting there programming. It beats the fuck out of working retail or food service and pays 5x-10x as much.

But no, when people actually do bother to apply they are fucking brain dead simps who seem to have caught, killed and eaten whoever actually did all the things on their resume because it sure as hell wasn't them.
    My degree is in Poli Sci, but I do know a fair amount of Java and Python. Where is this job?

...I could learn those. I take it that my lack of an appropriate degree or virtually any applicable experience makes that moot, however?

Unfortunalty yeah. Experience (recent, relevent experience) is by far the most important thing. The degree (and it doesn't have to be Comp-Sci, but it at least needs to be science or math) is for getting the first job when you have no experience.

That said, if you have patience and a keen interest in the subject it is possible to work your way up by starting as an entry level tester (which is doable without experience or a degree, though the first job takes some finangling) and working up by way of tester -> SDET -> developer. Or just staying an SDET as that's not a bad job either.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

What's the obstacle?

Then please tell your fellow englishmen to stop moving here. There's too many of them as it is.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2011

Unfortunalty yeah. Experience (recent, relevent experience) is by far the most important thing. The degree (and it doesn't have to be Comp-Sci, but it at least needs to be science or math) is for getting the first job when you have no experience.

That said, if you have patience and a keen interest in the subject it is possible to work your way up by starting as an entry level tester (which is doable without experience or a degree, though the first job takes some finangling) and working up by way of tester -> SDET -> developer. Or just staying an SDET as that's not a bad job either.
    I don't have a keen interest in the subject, I'm just good at coding and in need of a job.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

What's the obstacle?

Erm... I should also say I looked into Ireland, which is also pretty impossible.

Basically, I don't have a degree in anything, and if I'd finished college I would've had a BA in Theatre(Acting). And I don't have any super-in-depth training in anything besides taking care of the developmentally handicapped. So... the best I can do is a tourists Visa and hope to pick up a job in the, what, three months a tourists Visa lasts. Since I don't have the money to live without a job in another country without a job for three months. I mean, at one time, I could've saved the money do do so, but not now.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

What's the obstacle?

Then please tell your fellow englishmen to stop moving here. There's too many of them as it is.

I am not an Englishman.

Though I do know two people that would like to move out to Australia but apparently don't tick enough boxes on the qualification questionnaire thing.

japan on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Fro, start the new chat. japan, you are his backup.

Jacobkosh on
This discussion has been closed.