As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MINECRAFT] Because internet Legos are serious business.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    Don't get too attached to your horses in the Mo' Creatures mod....
    (quoting myself:)
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    Sigh. The Mo' Creatures mod is such a heartbreaker. It's really cool, adds some great stuff, and thrills my horse-crazy daughter to no end to have and breed horses in Minecraft. But three times now, the damn thing has completely crashed the game while I was riding a Pegasus, resulting in the Pegasus completely disappearing from the game, me dying, and losing all my inventory. Which wouldn't be too bad, except it takes a ton of work to get the Pegasus to begin with.
    Even with tragically crashing and disappearing mounts, it's good stuff.
    Luckily I don't have crashing problems, but, why not just push Escape every now and again to save the game? Not ideal, but you don't have to quit the game to save it.

Glal on
  • Options
    SquigieSquigie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Most cannon designers strive for precision and range. This person went for the exact opposite approach.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIG5MaFJP4w

This one is a far more practical model that can fire in all directions at once.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S3QH6hRRgg

Squigie on
    Warning: the preceding post may be more sarcastic than it appears. Proceed at own risk. Individual results may vary. Offers not valid in Canada or where prohibited by fraud statutes.
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When is a TNT cannon ever practical?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When excavating the side of a mountain in an extremely awesome fashion.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    phaseshifterphaseshifter Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Diannao's is down, I think :(
    Network issue, or did that hard drive finally quit?

phaseshifter on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bp1580 wrote: »
    Okay, so I'm pretty sure I have the "fall in the void forever" glitch. I PMed Vic about resetting my data, but will I get back all my items? I was wearing brand-new diamond armor, had all of my nine buckets with me, every diamond tool except for the hoe, 78 torches, and two and a half stacks of coal on me (plus some bread and some random smooth/cobblestone). I know you can't get your items back when you lag into lava and die or something, but is there an exception for people whose circumstances went beyond their control (beyond their con-trolllll...be-yond their con-tro-ooolll)? It would really suck if I lost all my stuff because I timed out while on a mining trip.

I'm telling you, carrying buckets means doom.

Last time I waited a few days when it was low to no lag and I was able to relogin and not lose anything.

Handkor on
  • Options
    Mnemon-CorbantisMnemon-Corbantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Glal wrote: »
    The problem is that some of the comments have this disingenuous "well, if you did it on Creative/with a hacked inventory then it took no effort" implication, which is just petty and false. That Enterprise, even with the imported skeleton and 'free' blocks, took more work and effort than most Survival servers' megaprojects. Would it be more impressive if it were done on Survival with mined materials? Yes, but so what? Megaprojects would be more impressive if they were done on Hard with no armour, weapons or torches, but no one is complaining that the lack of risk of being one-shotted by Creepers at all times makes them worthless.

People are just being petty at this point.

think you need to realize folks have seen a lot with this game so the bar is raised. yeah sure if you make an Enterprise, Minas Tirity replica or USS Nimitz nobody cares how you got the materials. But most projects aren't on that scale.

if you're proud of your creation why does it matter?

Besides, expecting universal praise from the Internet seems a little silly, don't ya think?

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Especially on Youtube.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    my server went boom last night again, I had to restore from a few days earlier.

Just FYI in 5 months my living arrangements will be changing, and I will probably be sharing a domicile with several people. Were not sure currently how we will be able to share enough bandwidth between all of us at the start, so a server is absolutely out of the question. I'd love to keep the server running if possible, but I honestly dont see it happening. I am more then happy to throw the map out to someone to keep whatever is built still running if they want to pick up the baton. This isnt going to affect anything now with the server

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's moreso on the Minecraft Forums, although I can't really make much of a quality differentiation between that and Youtube.

It just seems like a dick move to mention the fact that taking a harder route would probably make it more impressive for every project ever. We all know your re-creation of the Earth, universe and everything would be more impressive if done using your feet instead of hands, so it hardly needs to be mentioned. For boring projects or generic castles and stuff yeah I understand, but when a project took some amount of planning and effort on part of the creator to look good it doesn't really matter how they got the resources.

I still remain proud of my achievements, but when a project is considered to not have taken much effort if I don't go through the mountain of effort of gathering the right resources I don't really feel like going through with the project. Perhaps it's best to keep such information omitted and present the project as itself.

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This reminds me of "exit through the gift shop": "it might be art, but he didnt follow our non-conformist rules for art so hes a gigantic gaping asshole"
    I know its more then that in the documentary, dont shoot me.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    D34THROWD34THROW Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bp1580 wrote: »
    Okay, so I'm pretty sure I have the "fall in the void forever" glitch. I PMed Vic about resetting my data, but will I get back all my items? I was wearing brand-new diamond armor, had all of my nine buckets with me, every diamond tool except for the hoe, 78 torches, and two and a half stacks of coal on me (plus some bread and some random smooth/cobblestone). I know you can't get your items back when you lag into lava and die or something, but is there an exception for people whose circumstances went beyond their control (beyond their con-trolllll...be-yond their con-tro-ooolll)? It would really suck if I lost all my stuff because I timed out while on a mining trip.

Log into the UD and screencap your inventory while falling. If and when we get another server mod, it will be likely that you can get your shit back.

D34THROW on
    Minecraft Nickname - D34THROW

Current Server - None.
    Current Project - Surviving in SSP.
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also please report that bug in the mojang bug reporting place! The more attention the bug gets the more likely it is to get fixed.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    It's moreso on the Minecraft Forums, although I can't really make much of a quality differentiation between that and Youtube.

It just seems like a dick move to mention the fact that taking a harder route would probably make it more impressive for every project ever. We all know your re-creation of the Earth, universe and everything would be more impressive if done using your feet instead of hands, so it hardly needs to be mentioned. For boring projects or generic castles and stuff yeah I understand, but when a project took some amount of planning and effort on part of the creator to look good it doesn't really matter how they got the resources.

I still remain proud of my achievements, but when a project is considered to not have taken much effort if I don't go through the mountain of effort of gathering the right resources I don't really feel like going through with the project. Perhaps it's best to keep such information omitted and present the project as itself.

You are entitled to that opinion, just as they are entitled to theirs.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There's having an opinion and then there's being a dick about it.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

So it's fine to have an opinion, but if it's not the same as yours we shouldn't voice it?

Hrm...

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

So it's fine to have an opinion, but if it's not the same as yours we shouldn't voice it?

Hrm...

You're not getting it.

There are ways to get your "word" out without sounding like a dick, which is what people do and not realize.

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Vic wrote: »
    Also please report that bug in the mojang bug reporting place! The more attention the bug gets the more likely it is to get fixed.

Jeb tweeted that they will be fixing falling through empty chunks in the next update, if that's the issue.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Euuuuuugh my spawn hand. Well, there goes my enthusiasm for this game.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    proyebat wrote: »

Hrm...

You're not getting it.

There are ways to get your "word" out without sounding like a dick, which is what people do and not realize.

I'd illustrate the difference between a dick's version of an opinion and a nicer version of an opinion, but I can't think of one for the life of me.

D34THROW on

Current Server - None.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    D34THROW wrote: »

Hrm...

You're not getting it.

I'd illustrate the difference between a dick's version of an opinion and a nicer version of an opinion, but I can't think of one for the life of me.
    goofus wrote:
    [X] is shit and people who like it are shit
    gallant wrote:
    I personally don't enjoy [X], can anyone tell me what they find enjoyable about it?

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cake will always be better than pie.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Cake will always be better than pie.

It would be if the cake wasn't a lie.

D34THROW on

Current Server - None.
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    D34THROW wrote: »
    It would be if the cake wasn't a lie.
    BURN IN THE NETHER YOU PIE LOVER!

Kadoken on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    We already have two ingredients for pie in the game.. Apples and Pumpkins. All we need now is a way to grow them.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I want a new furnace, just for baking cakes, possibly for pies if Notch is up to it, and make it look like an Easy-bake Oven.

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    NotyetdoneNotyetdone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    harvest wrote: »
    When is a TNT cannon ever practical?

Better yet... when is it not?

Notyetdone on
    Sometimes, when no one is watching..
    I dig straight down...

Im going to laugh when i see on the news that a criminal prone kid strangled his brother to death with a shoelace when he erased his minecraft save.
  • Options
    DissolutionDissolution Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How goes things in the world of The Underdark? Girlfriend started school up again so I've been unable to play much Minecraft (was using her terrible laptop) - thankfully once my tax return gets here there will be ~$960 in PC components on their way to me so I can actually enjoy playing again.

Dissolution on
    Houk wrote: »
    Finally! A game that understands my desire for the inclusion of a jar of semen!
    PSN - Kog667 : DiRT 3 and Gran Turismo 5
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That was a biblical server crash, a tree in my house catches fire and then, crash.

Handkor on
  • Options
    SpaceOctopusSpaceOctopus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Another server I play on just got the Nether to work in SMP. Ghasts probably have killstreaks in the hundreds. I dont know if it would work in UD, but just a heads up that its out there.

SpaceOctopus on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I know if you build a portal in SMP, even though you can't enter the nether you can still have ghasts spawn around the portal.

So, that would still be scary.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Hrm...

You're not getting it.

The example given was someone saying that the project would have been cooler if it weren't built in creative.

There is nothing dickish about that.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Hrm...

You're not getting it.

The example given was someone saying that the project would have been cooler if it weren't built in creative.

I'm not seeing how these quotes fit together. Earlier I was agreeing with Glal when he said there are better ways to get one's point across without sounding like an idiot. You said before that, in a sarcastic manner, when two people have different opinion, one shouldn't be talking at all?

We are trying to make a point that, people should, and are encouraged to express their opinions, but if that opinion is really, and I mean REALLY negative for no apparent reason, that person really shouldn't be writing.

So in a way you're right, but not as harshly as you described.

TheExAm even described the differences between how to and not how to write an opinion:
    goofus wrote:
    gallant wrote:
    I personally don't enjoy [X], can anyone tell me what they find enjoyable about it?

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Arguing is stupid, and people who like arguing are stupid!

Playing Minecraft and talking about Minecraft are the best!

tehmarken on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How goes things in the world of The Underdark? Girlfriend started school up again so I've been unable to play much Minecraft (was using her terrible laptop) - thankfully once my tax return gets here there will be ~$960 in PC components on their way to me so I can actually enjoy playing again.

I'd like to know too.

The server I normally play on is becoming unplayable due to lag that gets worse every day, and I was going to switch to the SE++ server but some fuckstick burned down people's stuff and they've issued a ban on any new people.

So right now I'm serverless and looking for somewhere new, but I don't really want to get established in the Underdark if you guys are getting ready to wrap up its storyline and make a new server, which I seem to remember hearing about.

If the new server is about to be made and needs donations, I could totally toss $10-20 to help get it started.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I would also donate toward a new server.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    vernesvernes Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    harvest wrote: »
    I would also donate toward a new server.

I would donate towards a BETTER server.

vernes on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well it is what you make it. I would donate for better players :)

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Hrm...

You're not getting it.

I'm not seeing how these quotes fit together. Earlier I was agreeing with Glal when he said there are better ways to get one's point across without sounding like an idiot. You said before that, in a sarcastic manner, when two people have different opinion, one shouldn't be talking at all?

We are trying to make a point that, people should, and are encouraged to express their opinions, but if that opinion is really, and I mean REALLY negative for no apparent reason, that person really shouldn't be writing.

So in a way you're right, but not as harshly as you described.

TheExAm even described the differences between how to and not how to write an opinion:
    goofus wrote:
    gallant wrote:

Because that quote tree isn't the entire conversation?

The complaint: "People who post that things made in creative aren't as cool as things made in SMP are meanies!"

This, literally, was the original quote in the thread:
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    "Yeah, it's nice, but it would have been more impressive if it was made in Survival mode legitimately."

This is the quote I'm having a conversation about. There isn't anything dickish about that. It's a person's opinion.

You and TheExAm seem to be having a tangential argument about some dumbass commenting that isn't even being discussed.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So anyways, I'm making my first mob spawner. I'm thinking of tacking on an automated cactus farm as well. Can anybody think of anything else I should tack on?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png